HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
I don't think this means there will be a second South Newark station. I interpreted this to mean that the Airport station already planned will be near Haynes and Frelinghuysen, and that the Transit Village is planned in that same vicinity.

The intersection of Frelinghuysen and Haynes is only 800 feet away from where the current Newark Airport NJTransit station is located. So it wouldn't make sense to build two stations 800 feet apart.
Yeah.... I think you're right. I hope they finish some preliminary plans soon. It's still possible it may benefit the South Newark neighborhoods, but it's all going to depend on the exact location and layout of the station.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:16 PM

The 6,000 daily ridership projection is way off, IMO. It's currently a $120+ cab ride from Newark to Manhattan. There are also many thousands of airport and airline workers that are based in NYC\North Jersey. A one (or two) seat ride to Manhattan will be very attractive. Almost 100,000 people pass through Newark everyday.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:38 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
I don't think this means there will be a second South Newark station. I interpreted this to mean that the Airport station already planned will be near Haynes and Frelinghuysen, and that the Transit Village is planned in that same vicinity.

The intersection of Frelinghuysen and Haynes is only 800 feet away from where the current Newark Airport NJTransit station is located. So it wouldn't make sense to build two stations 800 feet apart.
South Street would be an ideal location for a station its located at the Southern end of Downtown , South Ironbound & Lincoln Park neighborhoods...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Isn't that like a $2 billion for an estimated 6000 riders a day? How is that good news?
no, actually the cost is half of that and the 6000 daily riders est is way, way off.

and its really good news because i live a couple blocks from path stations.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Yeah.... I think you're right. I hope they finish some preliminary plans soon. It's still possible it may benefit the South Newark neighborhoods, but it's all going to depend on the exact location and layout of the station.
I'm not clear whether this means one station or two additional PATH stations.

The thing is that the PATH will connect to the Newark Airtrain, which will be torn down and rebuilt from scratch. It will be more like the JFK system than the current typical airport system.

The new Newark Airtrain will have a totally different alignment than the current system (including a completely new Terminal A), and I'm not clear where the PATH will meet the Airtrain. I'm fairly certain it isn't at the present NJ Transit station, though.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The thing is that the PATH will connect to the Newark Airtrain, which will be torn down and rebuilt from scratch. It will be more like the JFK system than the current typical airport system.

The new Newark Airtrain will have a totally different alignment than the current system
Do you have any sources to substantiate this? I haven't seen any details reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'm not clear where the PATH will meet the Airtrain. I'm fairly certain it isn't at the present NJ Transit station, though.
I'm pretty sure this is wrong. In the 2014-2023 capital plan, it says that the goal of this project is to "Extend PATH to Newark Liberty International Airport’s Rail Link Station," i.e., the current NJT station. It also says "Construct new platforms and associated station passenger infrastructure at the Rail Link Station with connections to the existing Rail Link Station," confirming that they don't mean a future Rail Link Station location, but the current one.

See page 19: https://www.panynj.gov/corporate-inf...pital-plan.pdf

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 5:12 AM

Quote:
In the 2014-2023 capital plan, it says that the goal of this project is to "Extend PATH to Newark Liberty International Airport’s Rail Link Station," i.e., the current NJT station. It also says "Construct new platforms and associated station passenger infrastructure at the Rail Link Station with connections to the existing Rail Link Station," confirming that they don't mean a future Rail Link Station location, but the current one.
I agree with the proposal. Parallel trackage is always a strength of New York and its metropolitan area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation