HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 11:37 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
http://ottawa.ca/en/city_hall/planni...sive/index.htm

Open House Thursday, April 26, 2012

Bayshore Station to Prince of Wales Drive
Planning and Environmental Assessment Study

Thursday, April 26, 2012
Sir Guy Carleton High School,
55 Centrepointe Drive,
Nepean
6 to 9 p.m., presentation: 7 p.m.

Study area map - Baseline Road Transit Intensive Corridor [PDF - 801 KB]

The Project
The City of Ottawa has initiated a planning and environmental assessment study for the proposed Baseline Road Transit Intensive Corridor (BTIC). The City’s current Transportation Master Plan (TMP) identifies Baseline Road as a future Transit Intensive Corridor with connections to Bayshore and Baseline Transitway Stations. This study will consider alternative options and designs for transit improvements and result in the expansion and improvement of the City’s transit network within the study area shown above.

:
open house materials are up
http://ottawa.ca/en/city_hall/planni...use1/index.htm

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 12:09 AM
Awesome!

Passing near Les Galeries this afternoon and crews were paving the section between Montclair southwards.

Also on Montcalm, a sign says the section of the Rapibus south towards Tache is completed. I guess the asphalt part I guess.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
This is a worrisome way of thinking. Ottawa-Gatineau is in reality one city, one metropolitan area and the political divide is an artificial creation of the provinces. Our transportation infrastructure should reflect real needs to move people and not be clouded by politics. This same sort of thinking is why it is so hard to get a new badly needed bridge built across the Ottawa River. Politics have ghettoized this city like no other in the country and we don't need to add to this by not providing adequate transportation infrastructure across the Ottawa River.
The problem is it's always Ottawa (and Ontario) footing the bill. Most people who live and work in Ottawa hardly ever go to Gatineau (mostly just to gamble and get booze). People from Gatineau (not sure if there's a demonym?) come across to Ottawa much more. Obviously I think the funding should be 50/50, but Quebec seems to think Ontario should pay more, just because more people live in Ottawa. I seriously don't think the O-Train should be extended to another city when our own suburbs (& most of the city) don't have any commuter rail. Let's deal with our city/province first. Gatineau needs to be proactive and present Ottawa with their best offer if they want to get all the benefits that come along with the extension, which is something they don't want.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Tell me again why Ottawa should spend hundreds of millions to make it easier for people who work and go to school in Ottawa to live (and pay taxes, eat, shop, etc) in Gatineau.
Or spend a few tens of millions to make it easier for people who live in Ottawa to work in Gatineau. And vice-versa.

Does this same parochialism exist in the numerous US conurbations which span state lines?

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Or spend a few tens of millions to make it easier for people who live in Ottawa to work in Gatineau. And vice-versa.

Does this same parochialism exist in the numerous US conurbations which span state lines?
It does in Kansas City.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 1:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
Most Francophones are bilingual. I know several of them who went to Carleton U.
Of course there are some but the numbers for Carleton are miniscule compared to how many people from Gatineau who go to the University of Ottawa and La Cité collégiale.

I'd say most francophones who go to Carleton are Franco-Ontarians from Ottawa rather than Québécois from Gatineau.

I live in Gatineau and know very few adults who went to / young people who go to Carleton. Actually, I know none. Not saying there aren't any - just that it is not very common.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 2:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The problem is it's always Ottawa (and Ontario) footing the bill. Most people who live and work in Ottawa hardly ever go to Gatineau (mostly just to gamble and get booze). People from Gatineau (not sure if there's a demonym?) come across to Ottawa much more.
There seem to be plenty of people from Ottawa in Gatineau I can tell you, judging from the licence plates we see here. Unless they are just people from Ontario originally who live here but committing income tax fraud by declaring an Ottawa address!

Also, more people from Gatineau work in Ottawa because Ottawa is a much bigger city but consider that the majority of jobs in the central districts of Hull are actually held down by Ontario residents.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 2:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The problem is it's always Ottawa (and Ontario) footing the bill. (...) Obviously I think the funding should be 50/50, but Quebec seems to think Ontario should pay more, just because more people live in Ottawa. I seriously don't think the O-Train should be extended to another city when our own suburbs (& most of the city) don't have any commuter rail. Let's deal with our city/province first. Gatineau needs to be proactive and present Ottawa with their best offer if they want to get all the benefits that come along with the extension, which is something they don't want.
You seem to have a lot of misiniformed resentment. Nobody with any power in Gatineau is asking for an O-Train extension to our city, and neither is the citizenry to be quite honest.

The O-Train-to-Gatineau talk is a discussion that is entirely originating in Ottawa, with certain politicians, community leaders and SSP forumers.

But in Gatineau, the focus is squarely on the Rapibus, which is not in any way being funded by the City of Ottawa or the Province of Ontario, BTW.

So the reality is that nobody in Gatineau is trying to get Ottawa to pay for an O-Train extension onto the Quebec side of the river.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 2:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-R View Post
It does in Kansas City.
The interprovincial boundary here has a linguistic and cultural dimension to it that you don't have anywhere in the States.

On the other hand, in the U.S. you do sometimes have strong racial divides, although these are usually at the municipal level as opposed to the state vs. state level.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:13 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The interprovincial boundary here has a linguistic and cultural dimension to it that you don't have anywhere in the States.

On the other hand, in the U.S. you do sometimes have strong racial divides, although these are usually at the municipal level as opposed to the state vs. state level.
That has nothing to do with it. Where I lived in Germany, it was easier to take a bus to Belgium or the Netherlands than it is to take a bus from Hull to Ottawa.

There's no excuse for our utter lack of coördination: Buses don't need to stop at a point because people speak a different language or have thinner pancakes on the other side.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
That has nothing to do with it. Where I lived in Germany, it was easier to take a bus to Belgium or the Netherlands than it is to take a bus from Hull to Ottawa.

There's no excuse for our utter lack of coördination: Buses don't need to stop at a point because people speak a different language or have thinner pancakes on the other side.
I wasn't justifying anything, just trying to explain why our situation might be different from that of Kansas City, Missouri vs. Kansas City, Kansas.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:31 PM

Pancake thickness? FTW!

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Pancake thickness? FTW!
I forgot to react to that - it made me laugh out loud!

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 5:47 PM

Case in point for Ottawa paying for Gatineau; the whole sewage in the river deal. While Ottawa was getting slapped fines for dumping in the river (BTW Queen's Park and Feds, how about offering money to fix the problem instead of finning us?), Gatineau was totally ignoring the issue and dodging the bullet waiting for OT to fix the Ontario side.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 6:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Case in point for Ottawa paying for Gatineau; the whole sewage in the river deal. While Ottawa was getting slapped fines for dumping in the river (BTW Queen's Park and Feds, how about offering money to fix the problem instead of finning us?), Gatineau was totally ignoring the issue and dodging the bullet waiting for OT to fix the Ontario side.
You are off base. How is this Ottawa paying *for* Gatineau? Ottawa has to pay to fix its own system so it does not dump raw sewage in the river. Gatineau will have to pay to fix its system as well eventually.

As for fines, if there are federal fines and both cities are guilty I somehow doubt that Ottawa would be fined and Gatineau exempted from these.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 2:53 PM

Quote:
You are off base. How is this Ottawa paying *for* Gatineau? Ottawa has to pay to fix its own system so it does not dump raw sewage in the river. Gatineau will have to pay to fix its system as well eventually.

As for fines, if there are federal fines and both cities are guilty I somehow doubt that Ottawa would be fined and Gatineau exempted from these.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. What I meant was Gatineau is guilty of the same infractions as Ottawa, but aren't being held responsible (double standard on the part of the feds?) and are ignoring the situation (i.e. not working on fixing their own problem on the Quebec side).

Last edited by J.OT13; May 20, 2012 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I should have been more specific. What I meant was Gatineau is guilty of the same infractions as Ottawa, but aren't being held responsible (double standard on the part of the feds?) and are ignoring the situation (i.e. not working on fixing their own problem on the Quebec side).
I'm pretty sure the Province of Ontario has no jurisdiction in Gatineau:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ll-081010.html

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 2:53 PM

No, but the feds do. While Baird is telling Ottawa they should use some of that LRT money for fixing the sewage problem (cause it's one of his "top" priorities), no one (feds) is asking Gatineau to give up their RapiBus money to fix that same problem from their side of the river.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 2:37 AM

Quote:
No, but the feds do. While Baird is telling Ottawa they should use some of that LRT money for fixing the sewage problem (cause it's one of his "top" priorities), no one (feds) is asking Gatineau to give up their RapiBus money to fix that same problem from their side of the river.
Baird can go [CENSORED]

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 1:18 PM

Quote:
You seem to have a lot of misiniformed resentment. Nobody with any power in Gatineau is asking for an O-Train extension to our city, and neither is the citizenry to be quite honest.

The O-Train-to-Gatineau talk is a discussion that is entirely originating in Ottawa, with certain politicians, community leaders and SSP forumers.

But in Gatineau, the focus is squarely on the Rapibus, which is not in any way being funded by the City of Ottawa or the Province of Ontario, BTW.

So the reality is that nobody in Gatineau is trying to get Ottawa to pay for an O-Train extension onto the Quebec side of the river.
Apparently you didn't read the last couple words of my post, where I clearly stated that it was something Gatineau doesn't want.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation