HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 6:06 AM

That's probably the best thing that Alamo ever did. Kids (and their parents) ruin movies.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 8:28 AM

true but when it is a pg movie you expect kids but if it is not yes agree no kids they are anoying but I hope that this movie theater will succeed because we need more THX certified theaters not just the Cinemark or Regal crap that these larger companies throw at us.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:17 PM

So I should expect my movie to be ruined because it's PG? No. The most problems I've ever had with kids were not at G, PG, or PG-13 movies. It was at late night, R-rated movies. Shitty kids come from shitty parents. People should have to get a license to have children. Having children should be as hard as adopting.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 3:41 AM
Closed account

This forum topic shure got quiet

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 6:59 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Is anything even going on up there right now?

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 7:35 AM

The Beck offices are across the corridor from us, I talked to one of them walking to the stairs. I asked him how it was going and he said it will be going when the City of Austin decides to give them a permit. He said that they just finished a $70 million project in Aurora, Colorado and the city pretty much worked with them every step of the way and was great to deal with. The suburbs are usually much easier to deal with than the main city, it seems like they try to discourage projects and become a road block most of the time.

I know full well how frustrating the CoA permit office can be. One of the warehouse projects here took forever to get permitted, they told us to do one thing and then later another. Then we were told the permit was approved but it couldn't be printed out because they were changing to the "new" software over the weekend and it should be ready by Monday. Well, as computer things and especially city things go, they couldn't print it out for another week. The developer had a deadline on the financing that he had to have permit in hand by a certain date or the financing would fall through. Basically, I think they had to get a signed letter by the city that the permit had been approved for the financing to get approved without the permit, pretty much saying it was the city's fault that the permit was not issued on time.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 1:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
The Beck offices are across the corridor from us, I talked to one of them walking to the stairs. I asked him how it was going and he said it will be going when the City of Austin decides to give them a permit. He said that they just finished a $70 million project in Aurora, Colorado and the city pretty much worked with them every step of the way and was great to deal with. The suburbs are usually much easier to deal with than the main city, it seems like they try to discourage projects and become a road block most of the time.

I know full well how frustrating the CoA permit office can be. One of the warehouse projects here took forever to get permitted, they told us to do one thing and then later another. Then we were told the permit was approved but it couldn't be printed out because they were changing to the "new" software over the weekend and it should be ready by Monday. Well, as computer things and especially city things go, they couldn't print it out for another week. The developer had a deadline on the financing that he had to have permit in hand by a certain date or the financing would fall through. Basically, I think they had to get a signed letter by the city that the permit had been approved for the financing to get approved without the permit, pretty much saying it was the city's fault that the permit was not issued on time.

who is Beck? what do they want to do up there? they are working on one of the 5 story office buildings in the Domain but there doesn't seem to be any activity on the Twelve hotel or any of the hotels in there.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 5:21 PM

I think it may be a while before we see more rapid development towards real density in this big chunk of land. I can imagine the rush hour congestion years from now. The commute in/out of the area won't be pretty by car but this will be a great development for those who will live/work in the second downtown. What are the zoning restrictions in terms of height? Twelve is supposed to be 300+ft?

Can someone clarify what has been added on to Southbound Mopac a bit south of Parmer Lane towards Duval Rd?? Are they improving Mopac access from Parmer Lane?

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 2:28 AM
Meh

I believe the city council approved heights up to 320 feet, which is the supposed height of TWELVE Domain.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 5:17 AM
Closed account

Yeah on the Novare Group website for the Twelve Domain it says construction expected to begin First Quarter 2008 but the only thing they are building in there right now is a 5 story office building so I don't know when they are going to start on the Twelve hotel it would be nice to see some other higrise buildings in the Domain besides that one hotel though like some 20-30 story office buildings.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 5:19 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilIdie View Post
I think it may be a while before we see more rapid development towards real density in this big chunk of land. I can imagine the rush hour congestion years from now. The commute in/out of the area won't be pretty by car but this will be a great development for those who will live/work in the second downtown. What are the zoning restrictions in terms of height? Twelve is supposed to be 300+ft?

Can someone clarify what has been added on to Southbound Mopac a bit south of Parmer Lane towards Duval Rd?? Are they improving Mopac access from Parmer Lane?

I'm not shure what they are working on off Mopac I think maby it might be the new managed lanes for Mopac but i'm not shure.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 2:59 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
I'm not shure what they are working on off Mopac I think maby it might be the new managed lanes for Mopac but i'm not shure.
They are adding a collector-distributor, additional turning/merge lanes, between Parmer and Duval. Very congested area in the mornings especially.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 3:06 PM

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
Improvement in traffic flow in this area is desperately needed. I'm glad they are working on something.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 5:04 AM
Austinite

Found a couple of renderings of Domain Phase II. I like the tenant mix... This comes from Simon mall's new leasing package for the Domain center:
http://www.simon.com/Mall/LeasingShe...pFactSheet.pdf

Info from Brochure...

Phase I
Opened March 2007
700,000 Sq. Ft.
Neiman Marcus, Macy’s, an Exciting Mix of Retail, Restaurants,
Office and Residential Space, Plus a Full-Service Hotel (Opening 2009)

Phase II
Scheduled to Open Fall 2009
600,000 Sq. Ft. Dillard’s, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Village Road Show Gold Class Cinema, Additional Retail and Restaurants, Plus Office and Residential Space

Project Overview: The Grand Plan

The Domain is part of a grand redevelopment initiative that is reshaping a 238-acre portion of Austin. Within the master-planned project, The Domain retail sites are situated in a major commercial and offi ce district containing the largest concentration of office pace and employees in the Austin market.

The first phase of this 57-acre, mixed-use project opened in March 2007.
Designed as an upscale Main Street center, The Domain features the city’s fi rst Neiman Marcus, Macy’s, an amazing array of the world’s most renowned retailers, 10 fi rst-class restaurants, 90,000 square feet of Class A offi ce space, 400 high-end apartments, and a hotel scheduled to open in 2009.

The ultimate collection of world-class retail, The Domain includes Apple, Barneys New York Co-Op, BCBGMAXAZRIA, Borders Books & Music, Burberry, Calypso Christiane Celle, Coach, Cole Haan, David Yurman, Intermix, J.Crew, Lilly Pulitzer, Louis Vuitton, Martin + Osa, Ralph Lauren, Sony Style, Stuart Weitzman, Sur La Table, Tiffany & Co., Tommy Bahama, Z Gallerie, and more.

Building on the success of Phase I, construction is underway on Phase II, which will feature 600,000 square feet of additional retail, restaurant, and offi ce space. Anchored by Dillard’s, Dick’s Sporting Goods, and a Village Road Show Gold Class Cinema, the next phase of The Domain will also feature more than 400 high-end apartments and condominiums and 75,000 square feet of Class A offi ce space. Phase II is scheduled to open in Fall 2009.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 6:32 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

LOL why are there so many spaces that are in the words on that artical? Anywho, I don't think its dense enough, is this particular area where the Domain is Zoned up to 320' or is that to the east of the Domain project?

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 7:24 PM
Member since 2001

The entire "Domain" site (both Simon-owned and Endeavor-owned pieces) is zoned with a max. height of 320'. However, Endeavor's portion of the site is, thus far, the only part with proposed structures exceeding 10 stories.

I'm not sure what's going on with the TWELVE, but, originally, it was proposed as a 29-story, 308' tower (to the roof) - any spires may exceed the 320' mark.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 1:12 AM
Austinite

Here's a press release from Simon, announcing the start of Domain Phase II's construction:

http://www.simon.com/Assets/Mall/120...e%20051908.pdf

SIMON PROPERTY GROUP ANNOUNCES DOMAIN II

- More World-Class Retail and Restaurants Will Open in Austin -
- The Westin at The Domain Will Debut Too -

AUSTIN, TX (May 19, 2008) –Simon Property Group, Inc. (NYSE:SPG), the country’s largest owner, developer and manager of high quality retail real estate, announced today a second phase of its Domain project, a tremendously successful mixed-use shopping center which opened in March 2007 and has since garnered much acclaim as Austin’s most-desirable address to shop, live and work.

Construction on The Domain II will start next month with completion slated for November 2009. The first phase of this 57-acre, mixed-use project opened in March 2007. Designed as an upscale Main Street center, The Domain features Austin’s first Neiman Marcus, Macy’s, an unequalled array of the world’s most renowned retailers, 10 first-class restaurants, 90,000 square feet of Class A office space and 400 high-end apartments.

The ultimate collection of luxury retail, The Domain includes Apple, Barneys New York Co-Op, Borders Books & Music, Burberry, Cole Haan, David Yurman, Intermix, Louis Vuitton, Ralph Lauren, Sony Style, Stuart Weitzman, Sur La Table, Tiffany & Co. and more.

“While complementary to Domain I in quality,” said Kathleen Shields, senior vice president of development at Simon, “Domain II will have its own unique and very hip image, catering to juniors and family shoppers as well as to the fashion-minded clientele of Domain I.”

Set within an architectural framework of contemporary, colorful artistic loft buildings, Domain II will feature a pedestrian esplanade with parks, vibrant landscape beds and intimate passageways that encourage exploration. Opportunities abound for tenants to express their individual identities and brand presentations which will undoubtedly enhance The Domain as one of Austin’s top attractions.

The second phase of the project will include a three-level Dillard’s, a Village Road Show theatre that will be unique to central Texas and a Dick’s Sporting Goods store. A four-star, full-service hotel will also break ground this summer, adding 340 guest rooms, conference facilities and a ballroom to this first-class mixed-use project.

The new Dillard’s will contain 200,000 square feet on three levels and will feature a broad selection of merchandise including the latest in fashion excitement for women, men, juniors and children as well as cosmetics and selections for the home. The tone of the new store, both in building design and in merchandise assortment, will reflect the company’s renewed focus on upscale and contemporary fashion.

Dick’s Sporting Goods will bring an 80,000 square foot, two-level store to The
Domain. Pittsburgh-based Dick's Sporting Goods, Inc. is an authentic full-line
sporting goods retailer offering a broad assortment of brand name sporting goods equipment, apparel, and footwear in a specialty store environment. As of February 2, 2008, the Company operated 340 Dick's Sporting Goods stores, 79 Golf Galaxy stores and 15 Chick's Sporting Goods stores in Southern California.

The Village Road Show Gold Class Cinema will offer movie fans an intimate
atmosphere to watch films with an extraordinary level of personal service. There will be eight auditoriums with approximately 40 seats in each auditorium. Food and alcohol service will be available. This product will be unlike anything else offered in Austin.

World-class dining is another element of the mix that has made The Domain a
favorite for residents and tourists alike anxious to experience new concepts and dishes in a cosmopolitan setting. Domain II will continue the tradition of these unique culinary experiences. Maggiano’s will be bringing its high-level Italian cuisine and banquet facilities to the second phase of The Domain. BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse will be coming as well, offering fun and casual fare for the discerning Domain guest. Another exciting addition to the great dining options at The Domain will be Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar which will open across from Daily Grill.

“The Domain has been a big hit since the day we opened the doors almost 15
months ago and from day one, we’ve been planning to extend the experience and increase the retail and entertainment offerings,” said Shields. “We’ve had great demand from retailers and restaurants who want to come into the project and we’re thrilled that with today’s announcement we will be able to accommodate them with an additional 600,000 square feet of commercial space.”

White Lodging, a fully integrated owner, developer and manager of premium brand hotels, based in Merrillville, Indiana, has partnered with Simon Property Group to add The Westin at The Domain. This will be a 340-room full-service Westin Hotel which will add yet another feature to this prestigious lifestyle and residential center. The Westin at The Domain is scheduled to break ground this summer and promises to be a truly unforgettable and inspiring guest experience which will include thoughtfully designed guestrooms and over 14,000 square feet of meeting space, perfect for any event or occasion.

The mixed-use elements that have made the first phase of The Domain so successful will be duplicated in the second phase. Plans call for 75,000 square feet of Class A office space and another 411 residential units where residents can take advantage on an everyday basis of all The Domain has to offer. “The demand for the residential units has been overwhelming,” said Shields, who also added that the existing apartments were fully leased.

“People love living in this convenient, safe, but still very urban environment. We can’t wait to bring new units on line to meet the demand for this great alternative to more traditional apartment offerings.”

ABOUT WHITE LODGING

Established in 1985 and headquartered in Merrillville, IN, White Lodging is a fully integrated owner, developer and manager of premium brand hotels - a recognized leader that consistently delivers superior leading brand hotel experiences and premium returns on investment among mid-to-large scale hotels across the country.

They currently employ over 6,000 associates and are looking to add an additional 2,500 managers in the next five years. Their managed portfolio of 130 hotels in 17 states encompasses representation of the following leading brands: Marriott; Radisson Hotels, Intercontinental Hotel Group, Hilton and Starwood. For more information about White Lodging, visit www.whitelodging.com.

ABOUT SIMON PROPERTY GROUP, INC.

Simon Property Group, Inc. is an S&P 500 company and the largest public U.S. real estate company. Simon is a fully integrated real estate company which operates from five retail real estate platforms: regional malls, Premium Outlet Centers®, The Mills®, community/lifestyle centers and international properties. It currently owns or has an interest in 382 properties comprising 260 million square feet of gross leasable area in North America, Europe and Asia. The Company is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana and employs more than 5,000 people worldwide. Simon Property Group, Inc. is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol SPG. For further information, visit the Company's website at www.simon.com.

###

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 1:28 AM
Austinite

Here's a rendering of the Westin hotel, via White Lodging's website:

http://www.whitelodging.com/jb/comingsoon_austin.htm

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 3:33 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

i hate to say it - but this is starting to look more like a san antonio-style suburban development. c'mon austin - build up!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin