HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
No Hamilton road has ANYTHING on Steeles Avenue West in Toronto... ugh.
Maybe one or two streets elsewhere would beat. But the overall disrepair of almost every single road in Hamilton (particularily on the Mountain) is disgraceful. Mohawk Road, West 5th, Upper James, Upper Wellington, all filled with cracks, potholes, weeds growing in the cracks.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 12:51 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The new roundabout at Omni and Stone Church is beautiful! I figured they put a cement roundabout and that's it. Instead the roundabout has dirt in the centre so obviously it'll have flowers in the spring/summer and with red bricks edge/trimming. Awesome job.
The Omni roundabout is even more beautiful with the four Christmas trees all lit up at night.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 1:20 AM
Hammer'd

Thought I should post that after 2 (or 3?) gas pipe breaks and months of construction, Woodward Avenue between Melvin and Brampton is finally done. Weirdly enough, they added a bike lane on each side. It's rather useless however, as neither Barton nor Melvin have bike lanes.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 1:32 AM

Bike trail to Waterfront

This may be an East Hamilton connector to the beach trail. Either thru Rennie or Brampton Street to the new bike bridge.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 1:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

City plans traffic circles for Upper James Numerous roundabouts planned

Apr 01, 2011
http://www.hamiltonmountainnews.com/news/article/232651

A traffic roundabout is being installed at Upper James and Mohawk in an attempt to reduce crashes at the busy intersection.

If the experiment is a success, roundabouts will be installed at every intersection from Fennell south to Rymal over the next few years.

"There are just too many accidents on Upper James and this will help reduce that," said city spokesman Avril Feul. "After everyone gets used to it -- and we admit our study says most people will get into a fender bender before they get the hang of it -- it should improve things.

"Besides, it's very European."

Niek Mabuurs, a proponent of roundabouts, said the he hopes the experiment is a success so the city can achieve its goal of saving $98,000 a year in electricity savings by having traffic circles at all major intersections by 2020.

Construction is scheduled to be completed April 1, 2012.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 1:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Wow never expected a roundabout at Mohawk/Upper James or even on Upper James. When can we expect roundabouts along Main St.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Wow never expected a roundabout at Mohawk/Upper James or even on Upper James. When can we expect roundabouts along Main St.
As soon as the ones on Upper James are open. Main/ Cootes and Main/ Osler are expected to be ready by April 1, 2013.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 1:20 PM

I don't see what the big deal is with traffic circles and roundabouts.

Okay, less idling compared to waiting for the light to change.

And everyone has to slow down to get through them, which is not necessarily a good thing on certain roads, but it does stop people from racing to beat the light.

But, how will pedestrians cross these things with the constant flow of traffic on roads like Upper James and Mohawk?

Are they proven to reduce accidents? I find many people don't use roundabouts and traffic circles properly.

They also take up a lot of space.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 2:03 PM

April Fools?

Quote:
City plans traffic circles for Upper James Numerous roundabouts planned

Apr 01, 2011
http://www.hamiltonmountainnews.com/news/article/232651

A traffic roundabout is being installed at Upper James and Mohawk in an attempt to reduce crashes at the busy intersection.

If the experiment is a success, roundabouts will be installed at every intersection from Fennell south to Rymal over the next few years.

"There are just too many accidents on Upper James and this will help reduce that," said city spokesman Avril Feul. "After everyone gets used to it -- and we admit our study says most people will get into a fender bender before they get the hang of it -- it should improve things.

"Besides, it's very European."

Niek Mabuurs, a proponent of roundabouts, said the he hopes the experiment is a success so the city can achieve its goal of saving $98,000 a year in electricity savings by having traffic circles at all major intersections by 2020.

Construction is scheduled to be completed April 1, 2012.
Could this be an April Fools joke?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 2:06 PM

Nice catch!!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabooga View Post
Could this be an April Fools joke?
Just noticed the following quote from the article:

Quote:
said city spokesman Avril Feul
Avril Feul = April Fool

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 2:36 PM

second time I've been fooled today

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 3:04 PM
It's Hammer Time

muhahahaha

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 8:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

to be shut down this summer

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...wn-this-summer

It’s going to be an interesting summer for motorists in Hamilton.

City officials have revealed the entire Lincoln M. Alexander Parkway will be stripped and resurfaced with new asphalt beginning in June.

And because it’s only a four-lane divided highway, the only way to do it, says Gary Moore, director of engineering services in public works, is to close one section of highway in one direction at a time.

“We hope to start notifying the public in May.”

The $5-million contract closed for tenders this week. Beginning in June, progressive sections of the Linc will be shut down in one direction at a time during the summer weekends, and reopened weekdays as reduced speed construction zones.

Traffic will be redirected onto city streets during the closures.

The city and police have been working for several years on comprehensive emergency detour route (EDR) plans for both the Linc and Red Hill parkways. The Red Hill detour route plan had been the designated priority in the wake of devastating rainstorms that flooded the highway.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 7:31 PM
Urban Fanactic

Westbound lanes were closed on Saturday for the Linc.
All westbound traffic was using Fennell, Mohawk, Stone Church, and Rymal. They were very slow, Rymal and Stone Church were back up from at least Dartnall to Upper Paradise. Even Twenty Road was slower than usual. I used Dickenson and had no problems. Not going to go out on the weekends anymore.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 8:09 PM

When the Linc closes, it really does impact traffic on the mountain. Fortunately the work is being reduced to four weekends. Next weekend they will pave the westbound lanes, then the following weekend they'll suspend work due to the air show, then the following two weekends the eastbound ramps and lanes will close for resurfacing. As long as weather cooperates, the work will be done mid-July.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 1:46 AM

i can remember taking car rides along mohawk as a kid to shop at the newly built price club in ancaster.

or even limeridge road to get across to the west mountain.

the link sure has impacted how people get around on the mountain, and these closures are evidence.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msakalau View Post
i can remember taking car rides along mohawk as a kid to shop at the newly built price club in ancaster.

or even limeridge road to get across to the west mountain.

the link sure has impacted how people get around on the mountain, and these closures are evidence.
My school bus used to take Limeridge Rd all the way from Kenilworth to W5th. Now it's all chopped up and confuse-y! haha
Makes for great street-hockey coves tho!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 12:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

I loved Limeridge Road, nice mature trees all long the road. I remember I would jump up and down whenever my parents passed by McDonald's on Limeridge, "oooooh please stop!!" lol. That or I'd roll the windows down to smell the fries.

Parts of the Linc was a nice smooth ride this morning!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 2:16 PM

Quote:
I loved Limeridge Road, nice mature trees all long the road. I remember I would jump up and down whenever my parents passed by McDonald's on Limeridge, "oooooh please stop!!" lol. That or I'd roll the windows down to smell the fries.

Parts of the Linc was a nice smooth ride this morning!
Speaking of repairs.. Limeridge Rd is desperate for em! I mean, ppl aren't flying down this road like they once used to, but the poor locals off the road. It's a pretty dense street (LOTS of townhomes and enough low-mid rises).

How is it our local streets are ignored over Highways?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure