HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post
I've been hearing rumors that there will be a new development announced in Salt Lake City on Friday. It's sounding like it will be a mid-rise development. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
No announcement took place today. Should I be surprise at this point?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 1:29 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
I disagree but that's a point that was beat to death 10 years ago and its settled history now.
What exactly is he problem with it? It’s a really nice area to walk though... and you know what? I can hang out ther and never be bothered by panhandling druggies... because the church kicks them out... but everyone else is just fine.

Also there isn’t going to be any 1st amendment issues for telling people they can’t block the sidewalk. If that’s the case I’ll just park my car in the middle of the road and chill there.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 1:33 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
Dude

The city and county are shipping the homeless out of the neighborhood

It takes time for the buildings to be designed and completed (2019). Are you going to post something about the homeless on every page for the next 2 years?
The hell they are. Maybe they will be in a couple of years. But there is no reason not to do why we can in the meantime.... also the problem around 400w and 500s is not going to go away when the road home closes. There is another homeless services place on the NE corner of 400w and 500s that isn’t going anywhere. So it’s going to take additional effort to get thoes people off the street.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
The hell they are. Maybe they will be in a couple of years. But there is no reason not to do why we can in the meantime.... also the problem around 400w and 500s is not going to go away when the road home closes. There is another homeless services place on the NE corner of 400w and 500s that isn’t going anywhere. So it’s going to take additional effort to get thoes people off the street.
When they have no clients because all of the homeless are elsewhere, they will shut down or move.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 2:01 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Does anyone know why it always smells like somthing died in front of The Hotel Monico?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 2:36 AM

Operation Rio Grande

The State, County, and City are increasing the police force in the area even further. There will be more than 100 officers working in the area in four shifts. They have freed up over 300 beds in the jail and prison to incarciarate drug dealers who are leeching off the homeless, and have warrants out. This will be the first time in several years that officers will be able to arrest on misdemeanor crimes and drug offenses.

Local agencies in the subarbs are preparing for the homeless population to spread out in the coming weeks as SLC, the county, and the state push forces out of Rio Grande.

I do believe that now that so many agencies are working together that we won't see the problem continue to escalate over the next two years.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post

At work today helping pick up some equipment at the Hotel site. Good thing it was casual Friday and not raining. You fellas need to chill out. SLC is headed in the right direction. You're just impatient lol.

Also...The Royal wood developers are pretty set on their first phase. My colleagues and I were talking about it today as I'm not involved with that property I had lots of questions. I'm like a development Info junky. Lol. From what I hear I'm very optimistic about it. Fingers cross it to begin early next year.
Keep posting all the details you can EP!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurrow View Post
The State, County, and City are increasing the police force in the area even further. There will be more than 100 officers working in the area in four shifts. They have freed up over 300 beds in the jail and prison to incarciarate drug dealers who are leeching off the homeless, and have warrants out. This will be the first time in several years that officers will be able to arrest on misdemeanor crimes and drug offenses.

Local agencies in the subarbs are preparing for the homeless population to spread out in the coming weeks as SLC, the county, and the state push forces out of Rio Grande.

I do believe that now that so many agencies are working together that we won't see the problem continue to escalate over the next two years.
It's going to take a lot more than increased police presence and enforcement to keep the problem from escalating. That's tackling the effect, not the cause. That said, it does seem like they're serious about coming up with real solutions, too. Let's hope so.

Anyway, enough about the homeless issue for now.

Delts:
Yes, we NEED an update to page 1! There's no good reason our page 1 needs to be so outdated! I'm not placing any blame because it is quite time-consuming, but if delts is willing to do it, let's make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post

At work today helping pick up some equipment at the Hotel site. Good thing it was casual Friday and not raining. You fellas need to chill out. SLC is headed in the right direction. You're just impatient lol.

Also...The Royal wood developers are pretty set on their first phase. My colleagues and I were talking about it today as I'm not involved with that property I had lots of questions. I'm like a development Info junky. Lol. From what I hear I'm very optimistic about it. Fingers cross it to begin early next year.
This is really great news. I really REALLY hope that the Royal Wood project goes as planned! And maybe some increased height for Phase 2?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 9:58 AM

Also, a side note, Google Street View says they have been around Salt Lake and other counties from May - August this year.

https://www.google.com/streetview/understand/

I don't know exactly how long it takes for those pictures to get onto the website, but hopefully within a couple of months we'll finally have some updated street view pictures!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Also, a side note, Google Street View says they have been around Salt Lake and other counties from May - August this year.

https://www.google.com/streetview/understand/

I don't know exactly how long it takes for those pictures to get onto the website, but hopefully within a couple of months we'll finally have some updated street view pictures!
Awesome! And I'd really like to see updated satellite views as well; there have been so many projects completed since the last update.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 6:44 PM

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 6:44 AM

http://fox13now.com/2017/08/13/uniqu...thel-for-sale/The Felt Building won't be part of The Regent Street Hotel. Is this project still happening? We haven't heard about it in months.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 12:50 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigeonPersona View Post
http://fox13now.com/2017/08/13/uniqu...thel-for-sale/The Felt Building won't be part of The Regent Street Hotel. Is this project still happening? We haven't heard about it in months.
We'll find out this fall - as that's when construction was expected to start.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigeonPersona View Post
That sure sounds like the Regent Street Hotel is a dead plan, or at the very least, has gone back to the drawing board. Bummer.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 7:18 PM

EP,
Thanks for posting the pics! But, dude, get a grip on the orientation man.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
EP,
Thanks for posting the pics! But, dude, get a grip on the orientation man.
Hahahaha. I was struggling to post pics that day and after the 5th attempt I just used the first set of pics. When I saw the size was wrong I said screw it. I'll post pics some other day. Lol. But yes.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 9:34 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 11:35 PM

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy View Post
I've heard this from many other people on this forum but if it wasn't for the church your downtown would be probably a lot more like downtown Albuquerque or Tucson. Be happy with everything they have done. They are the only ones who are keeping you guys somewhat relevant. Even if the church tried selling all their land for development use- there isn't even close to enough demand for office or residential use in Salt Lake to even develop the land, making them stay parking lots. So someone might as well own them and make a good investment out of them. There is no point in penalizing someone for owning land that can't sell for development.

Salt Lake City is beautiful has has abundant natural resources, and if it weren't for the repellent effect of the Mormon brand, the city would be closer to the size of Denver or Calgary, not Tuscan or Albuquerque.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 1:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Salt Lake City is beautiful has has abundant natural resources, and if it weren't for the repellent effect of the Mormon brand, the city would be closer to the size of Denver or Calgary, not Tuscan or Albuquerque.
Agreed.
Also, Kind of hard to catch up with other cities when 9 out of 10 high rise proposals die and don't ever break ground and 10 out of 10 get delayed and/or down size.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West