HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 9:04 PM

The Textile Building Renovation - 10 George Street|12m|4fl|Under Construction

Core Urban Inc. tweeted the following on July 15th, 2015:

Quote:
Final 'before' picture of #theTextileBuilding before the transformation begins #heritageoffice #hamont #adaptivereuse
with this picture below:

A week later and work has finally begun on the exterior facade from the 1990's.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 5:39 PM

Momentum Fitness, based out of Dundas, is currently renovating space in the Textile building.

Word is that it will be a pretty trendy boutique gym open 24/7 - and I believe it may include quite a bit of self-powered/zero electricity equipment (pretty state of the art).

https://www.getmomentum.ca/george-st...fall-2015.html

Momentum is also renovating space on Frid St., this site appears to focus more on fitness classes. (Close proximity to the 220 Dundurn South development)

A few renderings of the Textile building on George St...

http://www.coreurban.ca/portfolios/textile-building/

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 11:14 PM

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 11:25 PM

^Nice. She just needed a little TLC.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 7:24 PM

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 8:54 PM

Welcome refresh but Core Urban's signage kills me. Hopefully the Pigott Building never falls into their hands.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Welcome refresh but Core Urban's signage kills me. Hopefully the Pigott Building never falls into their hands.
Large, backlit naming signage is becoming popular in Hamilton. Empire Times, 123 James N, now this

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Large, backlit naming signage is becoming popular in Hamilton. Empire Times, 123 James N, now this
It’s not just CoreUrban, to be sure. I just find it to be an inelegant way of identifying buildings. The Lister Block, for example, would not be improved by pasting its name in block san-serif up every façade.

The challenge CU faces, I suppose, is that its latest properties are not historic names. Even so, a street number (eg. 41 King William, 10 George) is a more time-honoured and practical way of helping people locate your building, IMHO. That said, the signage at 123 James North would be overkill unless the principal tenant were a geriatric optometrist.

To be fair, CU hasn’t subjected its residential projects to any real degree of signage, let alone the same degree of underwear-labelling as the Empire Times, whose shout-out-in-triplicate still makes me wince. But that's me.

Last edited by thistleclub; Jan 4, 2016 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 10:24 PM
Hammer'd

I don't mind the signage on this building and Empire Times but the 123 James North building sign does look kind of tacky. I didn't mind it when it first went up but now I feel as if it just doesn't match the building at all.

The Lister Block used to have a really cool "LISTER BLOCK" sign over the James Street arcade entrance when it was abandoned but I guess LIUNA scrapped it. There is now a really nice "ARCADE" inscription in the terra cotta behind the sign but the Lister Block sign was really neat too. I kinda wish they had hung it in the window of the tourism office.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 10:34 PM
Ham-burgher

I don't mind it at all.

And it is way more meaningful than "Village Atrium" which adorned it previously.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 10:46 PM

It's not the naming of the buildings that chafes — they're innocuous enough names, and yeah, "Village Atrium" is brain-dead 1980s boilerplate — it's the signage treatment, which strikes me (again: personal, subjective) as loud and perhaps not especially helpful: In the case of 10 George, the signage seems like it'd be all but invisible unless you're coming out of the Homewood Suites parking lot, though the four-directional rooftop signage and east/west call-outs will presumably clarify things.

Admittedly, my assessment is rooted in personal taste (I prefer clear, understated, functional) and it's ultimately the builders' prerogative. (And FWIW, E. Van Allen was certainly not signage-averse.)

Last edited by thistleclub; Jan 4, 2016 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 11:42 PM

The signage really works on this building

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 12:21 AM

Love the way the signage and lighting looks on this building

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 1:38 AM

The Empire Times was a misnomer to begin with since the Hamilton Times Newspaper was on the southwest corner.

Street addresses can be a problem in Hamilton because you have to be very specific.
For example 100 King East and 100 King West are ambiguous if you forget to include the East or West not to mention that they can also refer to buildings in Stoney Creek and Dundas.

Then there was "28 Lister" which sounded like an address but wasn't.

A descriptive name is okay but "The Textile Building" wouldn't be my first choice because it should really be "The Textile Buildings" and I don't think it's common knowledge that they were once the E. Van Allen & Company, Manufacturers of Shirts, Collars and Cuffs.
(http://workerscity.ca/19th-century-i...allen-company/)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 12:06 PM

Core Urban - you just got served, mutha*******!!!

*Just to clarify, I love your work - please keep it going. ;-)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 3:24 PM

It certainly beats the old "Village Atrium" sign. Also, why the hell are we even complaining? This building got a beautiful new treatment and a kick into the 21st century but we're gonna' be sticklers on the sign?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
The Empire Times signage is the absolute worst. Will never understand Core Urban's terrible font choices and tacky lighting.

Last edited by interr0bangr; Jan 4, 2016 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 5:23 PM

I'm ok with all the signage mentioned here.

They're new, shiny and bring attention to renovated and new buildings in the core.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 10:39 PM

What is the name of the gym located in this building?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 10:52 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonPlanning View Post
What is the name of the gym located in this building?
Momentum Fitness
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton