HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 3:29 AM

I'm not gay, but I am willing to learn...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 3:40 AM

Another straight guy here

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiveman View Post
Another straight guy here
Me also!! But folks can do what they wish

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 4:50 AM

When are we having a forum meetup? **Sorry if this was mentioned on a different thread**

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
When are we having a forum meetup? **Sorry if this was mentioned on a different thread**
I think we should meet in the lobby of the Fairmont. But I'm open to the date and time.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I think we should meet in the lobby of the Fairmont. But I'm open to the date and time.
That will be attended by our grandkids

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
That will be attended by our grandkids
I think you meant GREAT grandkids??

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 9:29 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Seeing as how this thread will be a mix of random subjects, I'd like to start a topic.

Austin radio stations:

Here's my take on our current radio dial.
In short, overall it sucks!

To explain in more detail, what the biggest problem I see is lack of any real competition or variety.

Austin has no shortage of inde or localized programming. Besides KUTX and a couple of other public broadcasting stations, there's 103.5 iHeart Austin and KGSR (although has moved more mainstream over the last 2 years)

When it comes to specific styles, it depends on the person's taste and Rock/Alternative is not my taste so I'm not a good source for the state of Rock/Alternative on the dial. Someone else here is welcome to give their take on 101X and KLBJ 93.7

I'm geard more towards EDM or Dance/Electronica, rythmic A/C, Top 40 and R&B so that's where my harsh evaluation will focus though not so much on R&B now that we have 96.3 plus the continued music selection on 88.7 KAZI, R&B is finally fairly well covered in our market.

When I say Austin radio sucks, part of that is due to our lack of good top 40 rythmic stations and lack of EDM (DANCE) on the F.M. dial. For those that know about it, have HD radio receiver's or stream online, there is MEGA 103.5 HD2 which is our local EDM station.
Pros: no commercials
Cons: lack of exciting programming such as multiple mix shows or air personalities. It also does not promote itself so unless people specifically search for a local Dance format, or know someone who listens, then it goes unnoticed. Can't be heard on F.M.

As far as F.M. goes, our 2 Top 40/ Rythmic A/C and Hip Hop stations, 96.7 and BEAT 102.3 are monopolized. Both are owned by Clear Channel. They are dull, generic cooky cutter stations and because they are owned by the same company, why would they try to compete with one another?

Austin's demographics have grown rapidly and have diversified over the last 10 years yet our F.M. dial hasn't really changed much to reflect or cater the changes other than a couple of formats.

It's time for Austin radio to shake up a bit. We need a new station by another company to come in to compete against the Clear Channel Top/40 Hip Hop block. A station that leans heavy in EDM/Dance and that actually puts in the effort to compete.

It just irritates me when looking at the markets of some of our neighbors and see multiple format changes and actual competition then you look at Austin's and all you hear are crickets.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 10:17 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I don't know any bands or artists that fit your preferred genres. Can't help you there.

As for 93.7 and 101X...I don't really listen to either anymore. 93.7 is the best for rock right now. I miss Z102.3 Classic Rock a lot. I listened to that all the time.

Now all I listen to is talk radio. 1300AM The Zone and 104.9 The Horn are the sports radio stations I listen to. Neither is great, but it's all we've got. Sometimes I'll listen to 1370 or 590 for politics, but I tire of that quickly.

My friend is actually the DJ for the 96.3 R&B show Traffic Jam. He's doing a great job with that channel. They have a loyal following after only a year on air.

I'm on air every now and then on 1370 Friday Night Fanstand, Friday nights 7-11pm talking HS football in the Austin area. It's not often, but I'll be in studio 2-3 times a season.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 1:01 AM
Meh

Terrestrial radio is dead. Yeah, I miss Z102. My other go to stations are KLBJ and KGSR. I pretty much don't listen to the radio anymore, though. I have an mp3 player the size of a matchbox with my faves on it. It has a radio attached with it, but I never listen to it. I loathe commercials on the radio. I mostly rely on Youtube or Pandora for music.

And is it any wonder why Austin radio is dead? Look at the options. There's not enough variety.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin...ate=tx&x=0&y=0

What I crave is a station that plays blues and classic rock, say from the 60s through to the 80s along with Motown. Think of the soundtracks to Animal House, Dazed and Confused, Ghostbusters and the Blues Brothers.

My problem is, I have a really odd and eclectic taste in music, so it's always hard to say I like any one station. I would like one like the one I mentioned above, and maybe even throw in some old school country music and reggae and even the odd r&b or hip hop every now and then. lol

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Oct 8, 2014 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 2:23 AM

I'm probably 80% talk radio, mainly AM 1300, the other 20% KLBJ. Bob FM is what we had on at my last job and they had a decent mix. I too am stuck on 60's thru early 80's R&R. I am not current, I actually learned not that long ago that Pearl Jam was not a new band. Seems every city or town has a classic rock station, I listened to WPDH when I was in Poughkeepsie a few weeks ago, its been operating for about 40 years and has better music then our KLBJ with about 5% of our population.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 2:41 AM

I've had SiriusXM for three years in my car. But I don't listen to it even with their huge variety of stations. (I really need to cancel it to save ~$200 per year.) I always end up plugging in a flash drive with hundreds of songs that I chose to listen to while I'm driving (in my 9 speaker 500+ watt stereo system.)

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 2:47 AM

sf

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 2:53 AM

Quote:
I've had SiriusXM for three years in my car. But I don't listen to it even with their huge variety of stations. (I really need to cancel it to save ~$200 per year.) I always end up plugging in a flash drive with hundreds of songs that I chose to listen to while I'm driving (in my 9 speaker 500+ watt stereo system.)

SiriusXM is the way to go..Music, sports, news , and talk everywhere..I have it in three vehicles...It is a bargain

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 2:59 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I too am stuck on 60's thru early 80's R&R. I am not current, I actually learned not that long ago that Pearl Jam was not a new band.
Most of the music I listen to is beyond my generation's age. Even Pearl Jam is too young for me. lol I just grew up with good music in the house and it stuck.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 5:12 AM

I used to listen to KUT all day every day at work, but when they moved the music to KUTX I could no longer get decent reception in my shop so I switched to KOOP. I still listen to KUTX in my car and go out of my way to tune in Twine Time every Saturday night. KOOP plays a pretty good mix but there are a few DJs and shows I can't handle and have to resort to my iPod at least a few times a day. I fall asleep listening to 590 AM KLBJ for Coast To Coast and since my radio alarm is tuned to that I've gotten in the habit of listening to the Sgt. Sam morning show. It's good for getting me out of bed in a pissed off mood.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 8:15 AM

I can say that people's driving in and around downtown Austin has gotten worse. Today was nothing but road rage, I'm like seriously calm down people, I seen one driver at the intersection of Guadalupe & W. 7th Street almost hit a lady! Didn't care just kept driving. Also the other day a guy on his motorcycle fell in front of me on Lamar by Schlotzsky's so I got out of my car to help him, lucky he wasn't hurt.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 8:19 AM

Quote:

I have SiriusXM for my Fiat 500, but I've gotta say I have lost interest it them due to the fact that play the same stuff over and over. There are a few rock bands I like but other than that I don’t listen to it.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 11:19 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Most of the music I listen to is beyond my generation's age. Even Pearl Jam is too young for me. lol I just grew up with good music in the house and it stuck.
That's how I grew up too. Led Zeppelin, The Animals, Cream, The Doors, The Who, The Guess Who, Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Nugent, AC/DC, etc. That grew into Metallica, Slayer, Pantera.

But I love a lot of Blues, Bluegrass, Texas Swing, Punk, and sometimes even techno/industrial (Ministry, Butthole Surfers, Prodigy).

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
I used to listen to KUT all day every day at work, but when they moved the music to KUTX I could no longer get decent reception in my shop so I switched to KOOP. I still listen to KUTX in my car and go out of my way to tune in Twine Time every Saturday night. KOOP plays a pretty good mix but there are a few DJs and shows I can't handle and have to resort to my iPod at least a few times a day. I fall asleep listening to 590 AM KLBJ for Coast To Coast and since my radio alarm is tuned to that I've gotten in the habit of listening to the Sgt. Sam morning show. It's good for getting me out of bed in a pissed off mood.
America Coast to Coast can be a great listen...Also good for inducing sleep

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin