HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Yeah, I think that’s a stop sign, unfortunately
Thanks brithgob! Who was the traffic engineer genius(es) who thought of that? (Or didn't think of it? ...) Isn't that similar to the problem they fixed for Emerald Park residences? Are there plans to fix that in the future? (Traffic light? Flyover?) I will take an alternate (safer) route to the new Costco then!

Edit:
Oh. Thanks North_Regina_Boy. I just read your response on the previous page. You beat me to the punch (line)!

Sorry traffic engineers! You guys ARE pretty smart! The City needs to be a bit faster if they've planned all this out already!

Last edited by Scruff Bucket; Nov 4, 2018 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket View Post

On the way out (just past 8 pm), I was looking for alternate road exits (like openstreetmap.org shows from Anaquod Rd into the Greens on Gardiner neighbourhood), but it seems Aurora Blvd is the only way in and out for now. From the Aurora website planning layout, it looks like Haughton Road, Arens Road E. and Buckingham Drive will eventually connect east-west to Anaquod Rd and beyond (Arens Road E.), while Chuka Blvd and Aurora Blvd will extend north-south to connect Aurora with the southeast neighbourhood.
There is an exit on to the former Tower Road just south of Costco that is open to the public. It exits in to the Green neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisniel View Post
There is an exit on to the former Tower Road just south of Costco that is open to the public. It exits in to the Green neighborhood.
Thanks chrisniel! I noticed that when I went out to Costco again on Sunday afternoon with (most of) the family. That was the road I was looking for on Friday evening, but missed as I was orienting myself within the parking lot that evening! I did not have time to check it out Sunday afternoon after I spotted it, as we were outgoing to pick up our other kid we left earlier at his friend's birthday party. I will check that out soon!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 2:13 AM

Any updates regarding Cornwall Centre reno’s?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 7:45 PM

What is being constructed by the new Costco? Is it the theatre? If so it seems quite small

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastaunik44 View Post
What is being constructed by the new Costco? Is it the theatre? If so it seems quite small
I think so

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 12:07 AM

The Gap in Cornwall is closing. Lease up in January and don't want to pay new rates. No relocation planned according to the manager.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
The Gap in Cornwall is closing. Lease up in January and don't want to pay new rates. No relocation planned according to the manager.

Maybe the Gap could relocate to the Southland Mall. Their current The Gap and Gap Kids in the Cornwall Centre would be perfect for a Zara/Zara Man, or Victoria's Secret or Forever 21/Forever 21 Men.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Maybe the Gap could relocate to the Southland Mall. Their current The Gap and Gap Kids in the Cornwall Centre would be perfect for a Zara/Zara Man, or Victoria's Secret or Forever 21/Forever 21 Men.
Hopefully it will lay the land for either Hollister or Abercrombie and Fitch to come to teh Queen City. Also whats going on at the capital crossing project?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
Also whats going on at the capital crossing project?
Not much.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
That would be a great move for them. Not to make a generalization about south enders but they would be the most likely in my mind to shop at The Gap.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:45 PM

Roots in the Cornwall Centre has its last day December 26. No big sale though; they are moving the inventory to another location. This one bugs me because I love their stuff!!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:46 PM

I heard the Gap was closing in Cornwall and moving to Northgate mall

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
Hopefully it will lay the land for either Hollister or Abercrombie and Fitch to come to teh Queen City. Also whats going on at the capital crossing project?
The building that's up behind Marks - looks like a bank maybe?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
The building that's up behind Marks - looks like a bank maybe?
BMO Rochdale is moving there.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgirl View Post
Roots in the Cornwall Centre has its last day December 26. No big sale though; they are moving the inventory to another location. This one bugs me because I love their stuff!!
Aldo closed a couple of months ago, but is still in the mall under the Call It Spring label.
Roots closing at the end of December.
Then Gap/Gap Kids closing in January.
Plus that huge space left by Sears.

They need to make some deals and get some new retailers. It seems like we just get more of the same old same old. For a while, it seemed like every store in Cornwall was also in Southland or Northgate.

https://www.cjme.com/2018/12/18/more...rnwall-centre/

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 5:28 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Aldo closed a couple of months ago, but is still in the mall under the Call It Spring label.
Roots closing at the end of December.
Then Gap/Gap Kids closing in January.
Plus that huge space left by Sears.

They need to make some deals and get some new retailers. It seems like we just get more of the same old same old. For a while, it seemed like every store in Cornwall was also in Southland or Northgate.

https://www.cjme.com/2018/12/18/more...rnwall-centre/
Over the years I began to realize that Aldo is much higher quality than Call it Spring, so I was a little sad when Aldo closed rather than Spring. Footwear from Spring tends to last 2 years tops. I'd rather go to DSW in Harbour Landing.

But yes... hopefully the Cornwall management gets their shit together and signs new tenants rather than continually losing....

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
But yes... hopefully the Cornwall management gets their shit together and signs new tenants rather than continually losing....
Rideau Centre in downtown Ottawa seemed to be following the long, slow decline that Cornwall has been following... despite routine announcements of new/high profile tenants, they were in a tough fight against suburbia to retain anchors and desirable tenants (and were losing more than winning), little reinvestment in updating, etc... the mall was gaining a reputation as among the last to visit for locals. Granted - as an international tourist destination, Ottawa has a distinct advantage over Regina. And Rideau being steps from the key destination doesn't hurt.

I hadn't bothered to go in Rideau in years, despite getting back to Ottawa regularly. I went last month... 180 degree turnaround. Completely renovated with high-end features, significant addition/expansion, and complete resign of the floorplan. Existing retailers were shuffled/many expanded into new spaces; and new retailers were attracted: Nordstrom went into nearly all of Sears' space... with a "dining hall" (not food court) going into the ground floor; Tiffany's; Simons; Kate Spade, Michael Kors; etc. There's even a local grocery store.

THe mall was busy each night I was there (weeknights)... and not the same crowd of high schoolers/university students that always used to frequent the mall - looked like a completely different demographic.

(sidenote: the "dining hall" has all of your normal food court joints: A&W, NYF; Subway, KFC... but they don't use disposable packaging. It was weird - I couldn't find a garbage can in the area, instead, they had places to drop off dishes, and staff cleaning them. And I'm talking everything - even glass glasses for drinks, tiny ceramic bowls for condiments, etc. And all of the places used reusable stuff - not just a couple. Played well into their upscale vibe... )

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 4:03 PM

I predicted 15 years ago that the Cornwall Centre was in big trouble. Massive big box expansions and the loss of Eaton's and the theatres with the steady decline of Sears, was ominous. I was proven wrong however, as until recently there has been very little vacancy, plus the additions of FHM and Lulu have been great.

Since the economic setbacks, however things have not been looking good. I was at Cornwall yesterday, and frankly it was depressing. Closing out sales at the Gap and Roots are really sad looking. The Bay is absolutely atrocious. Walmart feels classier. Sears is papered over, but I still see Sears as an opportunity not a loss in the long term.

Cornwall's future hinges on 2 things. A turnaround in the economy and a big break on the Sears space. They really need some of the Sears space to open up with something exciting.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 5:02 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The Bay is absolutely atrocious. Walmart feels classier.
I've said that for years. There are at least 5 different types of tile that they've got on the first floor. Plus display counters that are haggard, blackened ceilings around the air vents, stained carpets, not to mention the "window displays". When they said they were going to be doing a reno 2-3 years back, I was semi-excited, then it turned our to just be a cheap paint job to a few walls..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan