HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 2:37 AM

^ that's some seriously nice looking sh*t on the way...sweet.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 4:04 AM
Skyriser

The way the Studio Ma concept approaches the train is bad. A train cutting through a pedestrian plaza is ridiculous, and the rendering was incomplete and doesn't show how it integrates with the building. Other parts were great which make me wonder what was going on here.

And it shouldn't. Buildings shouldn't integrate with train tracks except to get people across them safely, nevermind the inherent noise and maintenance issues.

Didn't Valley Metro not give them permission anyways? It's hard to blame them.

I'm not seeing anything in the Novus massings that suggests pedestrian friendly or scaled. Density without that is hell, imho.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 9:58 PM

Overview map of the uses in the novus corridor. Tempe is really about to fill in over the next decade. Many more projects to keep us busy

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The way the Studio Ma concept approaches the train is bad. A train cutting through a pedestrian plaza is ridiculous, and the rendering was incomplete and doesn't show how it integrates with the building. Other parts were great which make me wonder what was going on here.

And it shouldn't. Buildings shouldn't integrate with train tracks except to get people across them safely, nevermind the inherent noise and maintenance issues.

Didn't Valley Metro not give them permission anyways? It's hard to blame them.

I'm not seeing anything in the Novus massings that suggests pedestrian friendly or scaled. Density without that is hell, imho.
The yellow path between the buildings is supposed to be pedestrian oriented, and the renderings look pretty good imo. I wish they weren't basically giving up on Rural and turning inward on an internal street for the pedestrian activity, but it's better than nothing.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 8:38 AM
Skyriser

Inwardly focused retail corridors are designed to fail, that's like 1980s thinking. I thought they'd have learned from the various mistakes around town.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 3:30 PM
Modulator

So looking at the Mirabella construction cam, I am curious what the elevator looking structure is that they are building away from the rest of the construction? Kind of odd they would build an elevator shaft by itself away from the primary construction which leads me to believe it is for something else?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 4:49 PM

Tower crane base is in place at The Collective.

We should be able to see it from the Mirabella construction cam when it goes up. The "tunnel view" headed west on University is already pretty cool with the Canopy Hilton, Mirabella and The Local cranes--one more will be even better.

Edit: you can already see it:

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
So looking at the Mirabella construction cam, I am curious what the elevator looking structure is that they are building away from the rest of the construction? Kind of odd they would build an elevator shaft by itself away from the primary construction which leads me to believe it is for something else?

Hmm. The renderings make it look like that area is planned for a smaller support structure--hard for me to tell if that's one or two stories, and/or whether it is consistent with what's being built.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 6:58 PM

Lets remember they are building an old folks home.. the more elevators the better for all those motorized scooters and wheel chairs. Based on the rendering, it seems to be two story but hard to tell the scale of it.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 5:22 PM

I recently read a multi-housing pipeline report for 2019 and there's reports of two 10 story midrise towers next to the pier 202 site. No construction start date as of now but with the Pier being two 24 story towers, I was hoping to see additional height there.

Anyone have insight on this?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 8:20 PM
Modulator

So yea. They've pulled all the wood framing off. I have no clue what this is. It doesn't like it could fit anywhere in the renderings. Some kind of extravagant signage foundation??

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 11:52 PM

12/7/2018

Materials on site at Westin. Updated Tempe development list today still shows them as having their building permit issued, but no work in the last week or two since they wetted the dirt.

The Collective, on the other hand, is going gangbusters. Tower crane base in place and piles going in.

Canopy Hilton on the 4th, headed to the 5th floor.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 6:05 AM

I found this video animation on the Westin trying to remember what it looked like. Cool rooftop pool.

https://youtu.be/ASos26lYAI8

Last edited by ciweiss; Dec 9, 2018 at 7:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 7:21 PM

Facade sample?

Quote:
So yea. They've pulled all the wood framing off. I have no clue what this is. It doesn't like it could fit anywhere in the renderings. Some kind of extravagant signage foundation??
I don't know what they are called, but maybe its one of those sample facade's of how the finished exterior should look like.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 9:18 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asugrad View Post
I don't know what they are called, but maybe its one of those sample facade's of how the finished exterior should look like.
Usually the façade mockups are very basic with just a little steel framing and what-not. Don't think I've seen on with complete concrete pour like that. I don't think it's part of the development as it seems the electrical boxes are kinda in the way. Maybe I'll just stop by and ask a construction worker

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 7:06 PM

Interesting news about the Grand. So it looks like they will be starting on Phase 4 and I know there was some confusion about which phase was that. From the Study Session Meeting it looks like it will be the site directly west of the 4 story building and parking garage on the NW portion of the site. What's interesting is that that site was earmarked for another parking structure and 4 story building. It looks like now that adjacent tenant might be leasing more space and the plan is to build a taller parking structure and 9 story office building where it was originally planned for a 4 story building based on previously approved plan. It's just annoying though that we'll have an even taller parking garage face Washington.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 10:05 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Interesting news about the Grand. So it looks like they will be starting on Phase 4 and I know there was some confusion about which phase was that. From the Study Session Meeting it looks like it will be the site directly west of the 4 story building and parking garage on the NW portion of the site. What's interesting is that that site was earmarked for another parking structure and 4 story building. It looks like now that adjacent tenant might be leasing more space and the plan is to build a taller parking structure and 9 story office building where it was originally planned for a 4 story building based on previously approved plan. It's just annoying though that we'll have an even taller parking garage face Washington.
I'm trying to visualize this. Are you referring to West of building 3 (that is currently built) in the below image? Are they wanting to add height to the current garage or build another one? Not a lot of room left there for another garage. Are you able to reference any renderings or were they not made public?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 10:34 PM

The phase in question is Building 2 and the other half of that parking garage which I guess was also planned to be extended. I am not sure how to embed images here based on the renderings from the upcoming meeting. Maybe some one else can pull them from the Tempe site?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 10:40 PM

So right now it looks like the Apartments #6 are under construction, Building 2/3 are completed ot under construciton and the parking garages and Buildings 10/11 are all being completed?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 10:45 PM

Doesn't look like Building 10 has started yet, just Building 11 is either topped out or almost topped out. They are about to start on building 2 is what it seems like but building 2 will be taller.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest