HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 12:02 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Kind of got lost among everything, but with the first expansion of the YYT terminal set to open in weeks, representatives from the airport said two of the top routes they're eyeing right now are to New York (either JFK or LaGuardia), and Moncton.
Moncton is a natural for St. John's. I think there could be a lot of two way traffic here.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Moncton is a natural for St. John's. I think there could be a lot of two way traffic here.
Wish there would be a direct link from the west to the east like a Moncton-Calgary. Winnipeg, and even Regina. it would make my life easier?

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Perhaps... but Canjet did that route in the early 2000's and it didn't last long. The flight would go YYT-YQM-YYZ and return at the end of the day.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
Wish there would be a direct link from the west to the east like a Moncton-Calgary. Winnipeg, and even Regina. it would make my life easier?
Up until two or three years ago Westjet had a seasonal direct flight that would run YQM-YHM-YEG. It took about 6 or 7 hours and was well-timed with just a 35 minute stop in Hamilton. When I lived in Edmonton it was great to leave Moncton at around 5 pm on Sunday and arrive at YEG at 8:30 pm.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 4:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Welcome to the forums.

I too recall flying to Edmonton in a one stop flight out of YQM (short station stop in Hamilton), but I believe this was in the early 1990s. It was quite convenient. I recall piling out of the plane in Hamilton to pick up a sandwich at the terminal to take back with me back on the plane to eat on the way.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 5:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Regarding a Moncton to St. John's flight, the only way I can see this working would be as part of either a WestJet or Porter route from St. John's/Moncton/Toronto.

Not every single Atlantic intercity flight has to get routed through Halifax........

A routing through Moncton could definitely work.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 5:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Aircraft movements (and national ranking) for Atlantic Canadian airports with full NAVCAN control towers:

The top two airports are Freddy and Moncton. The numbers are inflated because of the Moncton Flight School, which has operations out of both airports. I found it surprising though that Freddy was so far ahead of Moncton for several years. Moncton is catching up however and may surpass Freddy in the next year or two......

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff2121 View Post
Perhaps... but Canjet did that route in the early 2000's and it didn't last long. The flight would go YYT-YQM-YYZ and return at the end of the day.
It didnt last long not because it wasnt popular but because Canjet changed their business model to focus on vacation flights south instead of domestically scheduled service.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:08 AM

Quote:

Welcome to the forums.

I too recall flying to Edmonton in a one stop flight out of YQM (short station stop in Hamilton), but I believe this was in the early 1990s. It was quite convenient. I recall piling out of the plane in Hamilton to pick up a sandwich at the terminal to take back with me back on the plane to eat on the way.
Thanks! I live overseas now but when flying home to NB it's great to have 3 airports to choose to fly in and out of, as they are all a similar distance from my family's home.

Btw, I remember clearly when Westjet started flying to Moncton in 2000, YQM-YHM, it was their second destination in Eastern Canada after Hamilton.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 3:50 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

from the CYQM website:

Quote:
Greater Moncton International Airport Authority Opens New Art Gallery
JUNE 25, 2018

GREATER MONCTON, N.B. – The Greater Moncton International Airport Authority (GMIAA) is proud to announce that they have been successful at attracting a new curator for the artwork in the air terminal building. A new partnership has been established with Apple Art Gallery, a fine art gallery in Moncton.

The new art gallery is located next to the baggage claim area along with other pieces in various locations throughout the building showcasing local artists (https://www.appleart.co/yqm). The artwork will change every 3-4 months, allowing more exposure to talented regional artists. All questions regarding pricing, packing and shipping can be directed to appleartagency@gmail.com or by visiting their website at https://www.appleart.co/ for more information.

“I am thrilled to be responsible for curating the artwork inside our International Airport. We are a community filled with many talented artists and it’s important that we show our international visitors just how diversified and progressive we are in visual arts.”, Nausika Breau, Owner, Apple Art

“We’re pleased to be hosting several pieces of beautiful art from Apple Art Gallery in order to show local artists from the region. Artists being shown in the terminal building for the moment include Jared Betts (https://www.facebook.com/jaredbetts.art/), Raymonde Martin, Roch Bourque and Cecil D. Long (https://www.facebook.com/cecildlong/). Apple Art Gallery features more than 20 local artists. Drop by the terminal to take a look!”, says President and CEO of GMIAA Bernard LeBlanc.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
from the CYQM website:

Nothing groundbreaking but this ties in nicely with Festival Inspire & the Flash Festival with Monctons move towards having an art "identity"

In addition, anything to make the airport look less boring is definitely a plus

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Nothing groundbreaking but this ties in nicely with Festival Inspire & the Flash Festival with Monctons move towards having an art "identity"

In addition, anything to make the airport look less boring is definitely a plus
Instead on focusing on art focus on adding more direct year round Canadian and US destinations. So that we maritimers that are out west have more direct options to fly into Moncton or any airport in New Brunswick than to go through Pearson.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 11:15 PM

New departures area at YYT

Last edited by CBSNewbie; Jul 8, 2018 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 11:16 PM

Gate Side

Last edited by CBSNewbie; Jul 8, 2018 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 11:17 PM

New Security Area

Last edited by CBSNewbie; Jul 8, 2018 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 11:42 PM

Keep trying, CBSNewbie....you'll get there soon enough

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 5:45 AM

Glad your posts updated with the appropriate pictures

St. John's airport is finally working towards being a decent enough airport, in comparison to Halifax Stanfield. This expansion, along with phase 2 which will be coming in a few years, will go a long way.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting article in the transportation supplement in the T&T today.

CYQM has several projects they want to complete within the next several years.

- resurfacing the runways and aprons
- purchase new emergency response vehicles
- replace the passenger loading bridges (I'm kinda surprised by this one)
- expand the parking lots (yes - very necessary. In the winter and spring it can be very difficult to find parking at the airport with all the sun flights in operation).

Finally, the airport wants very much to complete the interchange at the front of the airport to fully connect it to the 11/15 both northbound and southbound. Although they want this done in the "next few years", they are at the mercy of the province on this one and can't make any promises. The situation is compounded by the City of Dieppe and their desire for a new interchange between the eastern extent of Aviation Avenue and the TCH. They are being quite obstinate about this.......

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 4:39 PM

Air Canada to Open larger Redesigned Maple Leaf Lounge at St. John's International Airport This Fall

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2018...103_138433-129

MONTREAL, July 11, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced it will open a redesigned Maple Leaf Lounge located in St. John's International Airport new terminal East expansion area (YYT) this fall. The new Maple Leaf Lounge will have 77 per cent more square footage, 46 additional seats, and windows offering a panoramic view of iconic Signal Hill and a beautiful view of the ocean......

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 2:32 PM

Some pictures of the YYT Expansion:

The original part of the airport is the small box area to the left.

Security screening used to be in a tiny area on the second floor. It has now been moved to the first floor expansion area, to the right of baggage check in area

(from SSP user CBSNewfie)

After security you go upstairs where this greets you:

To the right is the entrance to the departures lounge:

(From CBSNewfie)

Finally, a place to sit down and eat and/or drink while waiting for your flight

Much more seating

(From CBSNewfie)

Video tour of the departures lounge extension (note: only the extension. This was the day before it was open so the wall is still up separating the [then] departures lounge and the extension):

https://www.facebook.com/StJohnsInte...9319402100611/

Up next, is another extension but on the other side of the terminal. This should focus mainly on the arrivals area, however it will add more space to the departures lounge as well. It should begin construction in 2019.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces