HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 3:10 AM
Nashville born and raised

The Gulch.

That area west of downtown between the railroad yard and I-40 which is indeed mostly in a low lying 'gulch' passed over by three Viaducts (don't call them bridges).
It has become a unique 'place' with a top ranked hotel (The Thompson), high end residential, 'A' list office tenants (Sony Music, William Morris Agency) and plenty of prime places to eat and shop.

Go back to page 135 for the downtown and SoBro development cards. Coming soon....'Midtown/Music Row' and 'Other Important Proposals'.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jul 27, 2017 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Revised 12th & Demonbruen Card

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 8:48 PM

MidTenn1,

The Buckingham building seems to depend on the rentals at the Aertson, do you know how that is going? For the price of those rents, I think I would rather move back to Sumner county.

Go Blue Devils

Last edited by Nashville; Jul 23, 2017 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
And a comment on the off-topic subject of urban development forums; I do post on UP as it is the meeting place for most Nashville urban development followers. The best information about Nashville urban issues anywhere is available. But, other than the Nashville and Charlotte, NC, forums, there is next to no activity.

I like SSP because it has a wider range of viewers and participants and presents a better platform to tell the world about what an incredible place the city is was born and grew up in is. I wish we could create sub forums to better organize and present information better. But, maybe someday.

Now back to the topic.
I'm 55 and I enjoy both SSP and UP. I'm a relatively young spirited 55 year old as well. I've been told I don't act like a 55 year old many of times by younger co-workers and yes, younger friends. I'm not sure how a 55 year old is supposed to act. I'm just doing me. I'm also sure there are plenty old geezers on both sites that are young spirited but have a lot more depth and wealth of experience and just general knowledge to share. That comes with growing older. At least it should. Yes, you're always going to have older people who are resistant change. Quite honestly resistance to change occurs throughout life. But, I think Nashville's growth is opening up the eyes and minds of people who live there to the positives that growth and diversity will have throughout the city overall. Even my 78 year old mother is enjoying the vibrancy that the city has today. At 78 she's seen Nashville change in so many ways. Hell at 55 I've seen Nashville change drastically as well. Nashville is still a place I call home though I've been gone for 17 years. It may end up being the place where I retire.

Anyway, like you, I wish SSP had sub forums. I am surprised that UP's participation level is relatively low given the forum options. The Southern states really dominate the postings on UP. Nashville and Charlotte do have the largest participation. Memphis seems to really like SSP. By comparison there's very little participation on UP for Memphis. But here there are daily postings. Whereas, Nashville is far more active on UP than SSP. I agree that those participating in the Nashville forums are very well enlightened and full of information. And, yes it is very opinionated which it's supposed to be.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 10:03 PM

Well said. You're a youngster compared to me.

I enjoy telling old war stories about Nashville and what it means because someone somewhere might read it and take the knowledge to a new level.

An example, I worked at Harvey's Department Store and passed by Cortelia Clark on the way every day. I would like to see a statue of that man placed on that corner so we never forget the incredible life that Clark lived. That was a Nashville moment. Where else could you be serenaded by a Grammy winning Blues musician on your way to work every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NyuDuQsLEc

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 10:07 PM

I'm a peer here. I can remember when Nashville was smoky and gray and drab ... and I thought the old colosseum was cool because it looked like a flying saucer.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 9:58 AM

The 505 Apartments on Church Street downtown. 45 stories, 524 ft. Two days ago.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 2:17 AM

More information on a lot in the Gulch where an earlier rendering had been accidentally released.

From the Tennessean....

Now there's new ownership and a new concept with a similar scale.

Latest Massing diagram

Plan...

Quote:
Austin, Texas-based Endeavor Real Estate Group has a contract to buy the block between 12th and 13th avenues south and Demonbreun and McGavock streets for the project. That's the same developer behind the Whole Foods-anchored residential project for which construction will start next month on the former Nelson Mazda dealership site at Broadway and 12th Avenue South.

On Tuesday, Endeavor will go before the Metro Development and Housing Agency's design review committee seeking to extend to a greater portion of the site the maximum height of 28 stories allowable under the Downtown Code at the key intersection of 12th and Demonbreun. In exchange, the developer is offering a public open space "plaza" that will feature public art, outdoor seating and trees, and is committing to meet or exceed sidewalk design standards. 

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jul 31, 2017 at 2:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Wow, not sure what is spawning the bitter, woefully inaccurate blanket statements, but you couldn't be further from the truth. UP is an extremely active community filled with vibrant discussion about the Nashville urban environment as a whole, featuring hundreds of different posts every day about various projects and neighborhoods. The forum itself is home to a wide range of diverse people with diverse opinions, so no, you aren't always going to agree with everyone, but where's the fun in that anyway? I'm 34 myself, and there are many who are my age or younger, though I'm not sure what's wrong with being fifty or over either. Another thing I like about it is that there are so many people there with insider knowledge and/or expertise in various fields who give fascinating insight.

But yes, if you're looking for a place where there is nothing but high fives and pretty pictures where there are never any disagreements about anything, UP probably isn't the place for you.
I'm going to make my replies then I will get off the subject.

Crying about the same thing day in and day out. Every hour of every day of every week of every month of every year and for some every decade. For normal people seeing that, it looks crazy which it is. If I had a kid doing that I would seek help for him. For normal people the whining and blubbering gets old. Many people on that forum seriously need to get a hobby and a life. This ain't no hobby. A hobby is something someone actually does instead of crying about what someone else does with their money and time.

Last edited by cecilism; Aug 11, 2017 at 12:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Damn. Did you get banned from UP? I keep up with Nashville at UP and couldn't disagree more.
Nope just use to lurk there, then noticed it was a place for lemon suckers and was a waste of time.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 9:52 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post

Crying about the same thing day in and day out. Every hour of every day of every week of every month of every year and for some every decade. For normal people seeing that, it looks crazy which it is. If I had a kid doing that I would seek help for him. For normal people the whining and blubbering gets old. Many people on that forum seriously need to get a hobby and a life. This ain't no hobby. A hobby is something someone actually actually does instead of crying about what someone else does with their money and time.
Sooooo... you're criticizing people for "crying about what someone else does with their time"... then, what would you call that bizarre rant, exactly?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 12:10 AM

How are the rentals going at the Aertson? I think the Buckingham building in the Gulch depends on that.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
How are the rentals going at the Aertson? I think the Buckingham building in the Gulch depends on that.
The success of the Aertson will determine how soon the Buckingham begins. I don't have any information on how rentals are going, but the developers recently openly stated they will not be starting the Buckingham anytime soon.

The B'ham would be my second favorite proposed project (behind the twin 40 story NCI project in SoBro) and the Skidmore, Owings and Merrill design looks as though it would be a standout in uptown Manhattan. It's perfect for the dense, compact development along the narrow street of the gulch.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 7:30 PM

Lookin good Downtown Nashville.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 2:39 AM

With the total eclipse coming this article explains why hotels are sold out August 21st at huge prices. Nashville is the largest American city to have the whole city in total eclipse. In my area of Georgia it will be 97-99% of total but I'll likely drive the 50 miles to NE corner of Georgia to see the total eclipse after it leaves you guys.

http://americaneclipseusa.com/seeing...pse-from-home/

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 2:12 PM

Expecting a reveal of a rendering for a proposed soccer stadium sometime today.

The MLS2NASHVILLE committee is scheduled to address the City Council let them and "see firsthand what a future home for a professional soccer team might look like in our city." Sounds like a rendering reveal to me.

The other 11 applicants for a MLS expansion franchise have released renderings already.

Admittedly, they are pretty pictures of what could be and the decision where to expand will be based on ownership deep pockets (Nashville has billionaire Tom Ingram out front), public support (State has passed sales tax legislation to allow them to be used for construction and City will provide land and a yet to be determined amount for construction) and market (one of the smaller MSA's but the City has a strong millennial and immigrant fan base, and a internationally known brand and recognition).

The site will be located at the Fairgrounds where it is expected the State Fair will leave and the City will upgrade the remaining facilities, including the small stock car track, to accommodate the new stadium, whether MLS or USL.

I think there is a general consensus that the 'mid south' will get one of the four franchises and Nashville's competition will be Charlotte and Raleigh. The first two expansion teams will be awarded by the end of the year while the other two will be awarded somewhat later.

Either way, Nashville will build a stadium I think. It may begin as a USL team, but will be easily expandable to MLS standards if required.

EDIT: Meeting was postponed due to personal tragedy in the Mayor's life. Her only child passed away. No makeup meeting scheduled yet.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Aug 1, 2017 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 9:46 PM

Is the Nashville Speedway closed ?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Is the Nashville Speedway closed ?
The 5/8's mile Fairgrounds Speedway, where the Soccer stadium is proposed, is open and doing well. There have been no Nascar races there for many years, however. The former Nashville Superspeedway in Wilson County, which was built in hopes of attracting a NASCAR event, is now closed and being sold to developers. The label on the picture is confusing; sorry.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:49 AM

Continuing my list of greatest hits....necessary because of the deletion of past postings by photo*$%#@^&.

NASHVILLE'S MIDTOWN/MUSIC ROW/VANDERBILT

Just opened...

The Aertson

The Skyhouse

RISING AND PROPOSED

Not looking good...

Midtown, on it's on, would make a nice sized city. Plenty of live/work/play in Midtown.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post

Crying about the same thing day in and day out. Every hour of every day of every week of every month of every year and for some every decade. For normal people seeing that, it looks crazy which it is. If I had a kid doing that I would seek help for him. For normal people the whining and blubbering gets old. Many people on that forum seriously need to get a hobby and a life. This ain't no hobby. A hobby is something someone actually actually does instead of crying about what someone else does with their money and time.
I agree with you 118%

All the negativity is insane

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 5:01 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_TN View Post
I agree with you 118%

All the negativity is insane
Listen, to each his own, and all that... I very much appreciate your contributions here and other places, and if UP isn't your cup of tea then I have no issue with that.

However, I really can't say I understand the criticism. If you just want a place to look at pictures, then so be it, but that isn't what the Nashville urbanplanet forum is. It's an urban planning discussion forum that exists to provide a place for conversation and debate and critique on that subject. The people having those conversations are different and naturally have different opinions. There is plenty of positivity to go around there, but there isn't anything inherently wrong with a negative critiques either. If we all just pretended to agree with each other, and pretended to like everything about everything, there'd be no conversation to be had. That's kind of the nature of the whole thing. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that pointing out perceived flaws and debating those perceptions is the best way to ensure our urban environment continues to improve. I mean, am I wrong about that?

-Bob Marley

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations