HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:52 PM

File this under "Never going to happen"...
Civic Center swap offered
Tuesday, April 03, 2007By DAN MURTAUGH and JEFF AMYStaff Reporters
Mobile Mayor Sam Jones has pitched a trade offer to the Mobile County Commission: the Mobile Civic Center parking lot for the old county courthouse site.

Jones made the offer last week to Commission President Juan Chastang as a way to end the dispute between the two over the old courthouse site in downtown Mobile. Jones wants a park there, while Chastang wants to let a developer build a high-rise condominium tower and retail stores on the property.

"My question to them was, 'Tell me what it would take to get you off this corner,'" Jones said in an interview after meeting with Chastang and John Stainback, who is consulting with the county on the deal.

Advertisement

Chastang and Stainback said they would need another downtown property suitable for development, according to Jones.

The mayor said that if the county could get a developer to tear down the Mobile Civic Center complex and build a new parking garage, arena and theater, then the expansive parking lot there could be developed into retail stores and condos.

The city would continue to operate the Civic Center, Jones said, and the county would have more land for its development. The Civic Center complex is 21.5 acres, while the courthouse property is 2.7 acres.

"I told them, 'We need a large arena and a theater, but with that in mind give me a concept to redevelop the area, do what you want to do with the back part of the lot, and we might be able to talk about swapping properties,'" Jones said.

After the meeting, Chastang said in an interview that he was not interested in the deal. But his fellow commissioners, Stephen Nodine and Mike Dean, said they would be willing to listen to such a proposal.

"I think that's a reasonable compromise to take a look at," Nodine said. The commissioner said he liked that Jones's proposal would move the proposed condominium and retail development away from Christ Church Cathedral and the Museum of Mobile.

Jones and other city officials have said they've had tentative talks about redeveloping part of the Civic Center property in the past, but they've never come to much. Usually, the concepts hinge around building a parking garage behind the center's theater and using the rest of the parking lot land close to Interstate 10 to build something. There's also some chance the city would part with Expo Hall, the small convention space on the west end of the complex. It has gotten little use since the Arthur R. Outlaw Mobile Convention Center opened.
Jones tossed out the land swap idea on Thursday, after Chastang and Stainback presented him with a drawing of a proposed development on the old courthouse site. The plans include a 21-story condominium tower, a fountain pool surrounded by trees, ground-floor retail space, a restaurant, and a new Probate Court building with office space for government and private use.

Jones has been opposed to any development of the property. When he was on the County Commission, the body approved a plan to build a Mardi Gras-themed park with a giant fountain on the land.

The Civic Center was built in 1964 at a cost of $12 million, and the Expo Hall was added in 1973. The city has insured the building for about $40 million, according to a 2005 document.

Advertisement

"I don't know how much that county courthouse site is worth, but the Civic Center is worth a lot more," said City Council President Reggie Copeland.

In the most recent fiscal year, the city has had to pay about $700,000 to subsidize operating losses. And city leaders were told by a consulting group last year that the complex needs millions in renovations and upgrades

The City Council voted last month to spend $180,000 to replace the escalator outside the arena, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Officials are shopping for consultants to redesign the climate control system, an effort that could cut utility costs by allowing managers to heat or cool one part of the complex at a time. The climate control upgrade would likely cost millions, but could pay for itself over time because of reduced power bills.

A consulting group that looked at Civic Center operations said some costs of some renovations were so high that they advised the city not to do the work -- particularly the $10 million to $20 million it could cost to bring the interior of the arena into compliance with disability access laws.

Chastang's plan for the courthouse development is already beginning to fall apart. One of the aspects he described last week was to cancel a $19.5 million project to add three stories to the Probate Court building and instead construct a new edifice that would contain both government and private-sector office space.

To do that, he would need the support of at least one other commissioner, because the Probate Court plan was approved in the county's 2004 Pay-As-You-Go program. Both Nodine and Dean have said they would oppose any move to cancel that plan.

"I was there when we made the decision on building that four-story building for the probate judge, and we owe him that commitment," Dean said.

The plan sounds great to me from the city's prospective, but I don't really see any benefit for the county commission. It sounds like the switch would make the county's development much more difficult and labor intensive. Since they can do whatever they want at the current site without city approval, I see no reason for them to agree to this new swap. I wish it would happen because then we would get redevelopment on the park site as well as the civic center area, 2 for 1. That arena is probably one of the worst in the nation. They propped it up with the Mystics,NBDL, Anything on Ice and monster truck shows to scrape by rather than just fix it a long time ago. Now we have come to a point where it needs to be demolished and start over. In the mean time, USA built the Mitchell Center which competes with it for some functions, is nicer, is not downtown, and is not owned by the city. I like the idea of getting rid of the parking lot and expo hall, which are both big wastes of space, and replacing them with something new and useful. This plan would definitely be the best course of action for Mobile and that area of downtown specifically, but I just can't see it coming to fruition.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 10:55 PM

The piece of crap civic center needs to be torn down. Hell the land it is on might actually be worth more with it gone (demolition cost).

I would love a new highly urban neighborhood with 3-15 story buildings to be built on the site, which I think is the best thing the city can do downtown in the near future (long term hopefully we can get the docks riverfront property redeveloped).

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 12:24 PM

Louisiana is saying they lost the bid for the steel plant. Seeing as we are the only other option one would assume we won te plant. La officials said there incentive package was not enough for TK, and that ours may not be rich enough either. Here is the link: http://www.al.com/news/press-registe...320.xml&coll=3

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 4:07 AM
All things are possible

ThyssenKrupp Plant

I think the development director from Louisiana was really saying that Alabama has the will and the means to land the plant. As he was talking to his legislature I believe he was trying to cover himself when TK announces Alabama as the winner. I am taking a boat tour of the port in the middle of next week and intend to get ask the only real question remaining in my mind which is "how do we best move the slabs from Pinto Island to Calvert". This project will essentially give our area a minimum five year construction boom. At the end of IP's time in Mobile there were 800 company employees so think of this as being the near equivalent of four IP plants coming online in 3 years. Mobile is going to be a Boomtown in 6 months. I'll try to get some good photos of Pinto, Choctaw Point and anything that might be of interest to waterfront followers. Welcome to the new "Steel City" ...Mobile.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 4:19 AM

LA is still something to compete with. Let’s don’t celebrate just yet. Not until the site is picked.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 4:26 AM

Wow.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 1:09 PM

More courthouse condo political positioning. I found the part about Dean and Nodine not beeing 100% behind the rendering interesting. Apparently they are not sold on something of that scale(which I think was everyone here's initial reaction as well). I also im glad to here the Downtown Alliance is going to come up with a new plan for downtown. It is time to update goals/plans before/during this boom time. I also liked that the city wants to plan for other areas (SpringHill/Florida Street were mentioned below). I think it is great that SpringHill created its own planning/development group. Considering that is were the wealthiest people in town live, it has not always had that feel to it. That group will have money and pull so I would expect big things in that area in the next 10 years. Here's the article.
Chastang extends olive branch on courthouse site
Thursday, April 05, 2007By JEFF AMYStaff Reporter
Mobile County Commission President Juan Chastang used his state of the county speech last year to introduce the idea of a condominium tower on the former site of the county courthouse. Wednesday, he used the same speech to try to cool the dispute over that parcel's use between him and Mobile Mayor Sam Jones.

In doing so, Chastang admitted that his vision may not be built, and that the plan for a Mardi Gras park, approved when Jones occupied Chastang's commission seat, may yet occupy the property.

Jones, in his state of the city speech, made no reference to the courthouse site, including the proposal he made last week that the county trade that lot at Royal and Government streets for part of the Mobile Civic Center property.
Instead, Jones appealed to civic and business leaders for cooperation in improving the worker training done by local schools, colleges and universities, saying that it's a critical need, especially if both the Northrop Grumman/EADS tanker plane plant and the ThyssenKrupp steel mill are built in Mobile County.

Hundreds of listeners gathered over grilled chicken salad and pecan pie at the Arthur R. Outlaw Mobile Convention Center to hear the two speeches. It was the 10th year that the pair of speeches has been presented by the Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce.

Chastang touted the plan for a 21-story condo tower, with ground-level stores, as a way to increase county revenues without raising taxes.

"The development would provide a push for returning downtown to its glory, provide a boost to our convention industry, spearhead retail, encourage more residents to build downtown and give visitors something to do and somewhere to go," Chastang said.

He said the county government would reap $61 million over 30 years from the project.

But Chastang, a Republican giving the speech for the second time, also tried to dispel the idea that he was in a feud with Jones, and indicated he would not stall development of the park if the other two commissioners weren't interested in the condo plan.

"My discussions with the mayor have been pleasant and fun. Let us not pitch this development as being a struggle between the county and the city," Chastang said. "We will work toward a conclusion. If the majority wants a park, then so be it. Let's just move forward in a spirit of cooperation."
In part, the concession may stem from a realization that the other two commissioners, Mike Dean and Stephen Nodine, do not support development on the courthouse site as intensive as seen by a consultant who drew up a plan for the county. They also oppose the consultant's proposed changes in the planned redevelopment of the adjacent courthouse annex.

Chastang also said in his speech that the county wanted to find ways to reduce taxes. Commissioners have been discussing adding a sales tax holiday on hurricane supplies, in addition to the back-to-school tax breaks that began last fall.

"The county understands that low taxes equals a healthy economy," Chastang said.
Jones used much of his speech to ask business and other community leaders to help in a push to better prepare workers in K-12 schools, community colleges and universities.

"We have the potential of over 5,000 new jobs over the next three years," Jones said. "Our ability to provide a prepared work force for those jobs, as well as our present work force, is vital."

Tim Alford, the state's director of work force development, is helping draw up a plan for the Mobile region to improve training. Jones said that plan should be unveiled by mid-summer.

Jones also focused on education in much of his 2006 speech, his first as mayor. After Wednesday's address, he said that he wants the city to assist local schools and colleges, because they are key to worker training and economic success.

Jones told business leaders that the city plans to seek a consultant in the coming months to draw up a new master plan for downtown and some other neighborhood business districts, such as Florida Street and the Spring Hill community.

The downtown planning area would encompass an area beyond the Hank Aaron Loop, going south to around Baltimore Street, west to the Loop area, and north some distance up Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, Jones said after the speech.

Downtown advocates, in particular, have been calling for a new city plan for the area, saying previous plans, more than a decade old, have become outdated.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 3:45 AM
All things are possible

What the mayor has learned

Mayor Jones is a fine man and a capable leader. I know for a fact that the REAL concern he has about education comes from his learning that many young people can't pass a drug test to get any of these good jobs. We must teach them more than reading and writing but that there are consequences for bad choices. Our school board sure doesn't help much. I sometime wonder how many of them could pass a drug test after hearing some of their decisions. Oh yea, and about TK, we are in the drivers seat and heading down the home stretch....in first place!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 3:54 AM

Does anyone have any information on the Broad St. restoration project?

If this project turns out as talked about a while back, then I think it will have a dramatic impact on intown development.

I see that as a big deal, also that corridor should be used for a Streetcar in the future (not viable now).

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 12:54 PM

I will be comin back home this weekend,and will be strolling downtown to see what's all been done r what's going to be done...welcome back...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 3:31 PM
God help us

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
The piece of crap civic center needs to be torn down. Hell the land it is on might actually be worth more with it gone (demolition cost).

I would love a new highly urban neighborhood with 3-15 story buildings to be built on the site, which I think is the best thing the city can do downtown in the near future (long term hopefully we can get the docks riverfront property redeveloped).

They should have torn that monstrosity down and put Hank Aaron Stadium on the site. Something about it being on 65 just doesn't work for me. The changing skyline would make an impressive backdrop for the fans.

In any case, something's got to be done there. As I see it, the MCC is not a viable choice for events anymore, outside of Mardi Gras balls and monster truck races. Heck, the Mitchell Center at USA gets many more concerts and events now. I guess I'm not real sure what I'd like to see done there now. A new arena would be great, but would it be needed? Is there another suitable location for a new arena?

"You cannot help men by doing for them when they could and should, do for themselves" - Abraham Lincoln

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 6:42 PM
Closed account

I think an arena downtown is a good thing, they just need a new one to attract people and events back downtown again. Personally I don't have anything against the current arena.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrad04 View Post
They should have torn that monstrosity down and put Hank Aaron Stadium on the site. Something about it being on 65 just doesn't work for me. The changing skyline would make an impressive backdrop for the fans.

In any case, something's got to be done there. As I see it, the MCC is not a viable choice for events anymore, outside of Mardi Gras balls and monster truck races. Heck, the Mitchell Center at USA gets many more concerts and events now. I guess I'm not real sure what I'd like to see done there now. A new arena would be great, but would it be needed? Is there another suitable location for a new arena?
I had the same thought today too. I got to day dreaming about how much better our ballpark would have been downtown. Even if it was at Texas St (which was the other possible site), that would be a better location in hid sight. That Texas St site would be ideal now, especially with talk of land switches and condos in the area between downtown and Texas St. Montgomery's new downtown ballpark is amazing and puts ours to shame. We should have replaced or updated the Civic Center back in the day. Now it is too far gone and Mitchell Center is nicer. It would be nice to have a city owned arena, especially one downtown.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 12:34 AM

Im home from Auburn this weekend for Easter with the fam. If you see two guys wondering around downtown oogling at all the development, it will be me and pboo

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 2:20 AM

Will somone explain to me the process of posting pictures to the forum? I took a bunch downtown today, but I have no idea how to get them up here. I know there is something about having them hosted or something and I don't anything about that either. Someone point me in the right direction.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimsjus View Post
Will somone explain to me the process of posting pictures to the forum? I took a bunch downtown today, but I have no idea how to get them up here. I know there is something about having them hosted or something and I don't anything about that either. Someone point me in the right direction.
Go to ImageShack.com and register. Then upload your photos. Come here and click the Insert Image button that is 2 buttons to the right of the Insert URL button, it's the one that looks like a mountain landscape. Just copy and paste the url (http://imageshack.com/yourimage.jpg as an example, must end in .jpg, .gif, etc..) of each of your photos and click OK. Do that for each picture.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 11:46 AM

My wife and I were walking around downtown yesterday and we walked over to the Cooper River Side Park. It was locked up. Any ideas why its closed? There were some inside the park, that looked homeless. I seen how they got around, but I wasn't about to try and get my german shep around.

300 years of America!

www.cityofmobile.org

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 1:34 PM
<- My idol

What time did you go? As underused as the park was (a lovely park except for a few needed repairs, by the way) the cruise terminal and apparantly fictional Maritime Center have made it even more underused. The southern side of the park looks like a mix of a construction zone and parking lot more than a park. The biggest problem is one that not only affects the park, but all of downtown, and that is Water Street and how difficult it is to cross.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 3:31 PM

yeah....thats weird that it is closed. Maybe with the CSX building being torn down. but its been gone for a few weeks, right?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 8:48 PM

We were there around 5. We walked down to the Churh Street graveyard and it said closes at 4 and it was like 5:30-6 and still open.

300 years of America!

www.cityofmobile.org

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast