HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Ryugyong Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Pyongyang Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 6:31 PM

That 1stopkorea.com site is amazing.

It makes me really want to give a tour to a party of North Koreans and show them around Vegas.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 9:24 PM
:-)

An even older picture. Look at that concrete ... omg

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 5:04 PM
Ex Houstonian

Looks like a giant drill bit. Its pretty cool theyre actually completing it. Maybe with every room in the new hotel they will have armed guards and video cameras so if any western businessmen say anything bad about glorious leader Kim Jong il... they get shot on site.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 6:47 PM
Urban Explorer

If worse comes to worse, they could turn the sides into the world's largest water slides.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 11:13 PM

Nah, the walls are too steep.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 3:12 AM
Philly Phanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolf View Post
I can't tell if this is a crack, shadowing, or something else.

from ZimasterX at SSC.
Looks like a pour line, when fresh concrete is poured on top of semi hardened (few hour old) concrete. Pretty harmless.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 6:18 PM
Red October standing by

whoa, progress.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 3:06 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Is it even safe to build on top of such cracked concrete?

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 4:43 AM
恭喜发财!

What's the statue on the top? Anybody know?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 6:49 AM
Burj Dubai nut

It's a construction crane

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 4:31 AM
Urban Explorer

I wonder if that crane is still operational....after sitting for 20 years. I'd imagine it's rusted just a little bit.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 9:11 AM
BANNED

I really think that the faulty concrete argument was bullshit. While i'm no expert on concrete it looks pretty solid to me, and after twenty years no less. If the concrete were actually faulty, don't you think at least some of it would have crumbled or fallen off?

I've always thought this is one of the coolest looking buildings on earth, I just didn't think it would ever be finished. East Asians aren't really known for their speedy construction projects anyway. Great Wall of China anyone?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 1:06 AM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
I really think that the faulty concrete argument was bullshit. While i'm no expert on concrete it looks pretty solid to me, and after twenty years no less. If the concrete were actually faulty, don't you think at least some of it would have crumbled or fallen off?

I've always thought this is one of the coolest looking buildings on earth, I just didn't think it would ever be finished. East Asians aren't really known for their speedy construction projects anyway. Great Wall of China anyone?
Do you not pay attention to the Shanghai threads where new 250m+ towers sprout from the ground to top out in a year or so?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 2:09 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

Oh for the love of god, will you stop embarassing yourself?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 4:25 AM
And Then...!?

Quote:

Man...you have no clue how difficult to build the great wall even by today's standard.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 7:43 PM

Quote:
East Asians aren't really known for their speedy construction projects anyway. Great Wall of China anyone?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 6:58 AM
if I sang out of tune

It takes 3 years to build a supertall in China (in Beijing its 1 and a half years), just over a year to build a skyscraper. A high spec highrise can be constructed in a few months.

This is because of the 24 hr night and day crews, and the army of workers, its the fastest building rates in the world.

The Beijing Capital Airport is in a 500 sq. mile complex with a terminal that is the worlds biggest building by floor space (10.6 million sq. ft) - 17% bigger than all the 5 terminals in London Heathrow put together, and designed to hold 150 jumbo jets at any one time. It took only 4 years to complete from drawing to opening ceremony, thanks to a construction army of 50,000:

Video Link

Last edited by muppet; Feb 14, 2009 at 9:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 9:15 AM
Laissez-Faire Forever!

I'm not a structural engineer by any stretch, but I'm just wondering why this building's exposed concrete is supposedly so unsafe after 20-some years in the rain and sun, but we generally don't question the structural integrity of the many (concrete facade) brutalist buildings from the 1960's, built in cities throughout Europe and North America? I know Boston City Hall and Marina City aren't the most popular buildings in the world, but they're not unsafe, right?

Or are we just not sure of the construction methods that put it there in the first place?

I'd also like to note that the Ryugyong has always reminded me of the Ministry of Truth. The most evil-looking building imaginable. Now it'll be shiny evil! (I actually like the completion rendering... kinda 1980's futurism?)

Perhaps we could consider the posibility that the NK government only plans to finish the exterior of the tower... It'd be fully clad, but still empty; on the postcards again, and outsiders wouldn't be able to know the difference... truly sinister architecture!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 9:26 AM
James

you know, i was thinking the exact same thing... finish the tower and yet still leave it empty

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 5:55 PM
if I sang out of tune

If they actually finish the tower it will be a money spinner as a hotel

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive