HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 6:19 AM
I've been around

Southeastern and Southwestern parts of beltline TRAIL

It seems like the beltline trail project has been neglecting the Southeast and Southwest, which includes Grant Park and some down-and-out areas, some like Adair Park and Peoplestown with decent housing stock, that are in major need of investment to bring in businesses and people. Even Pittsburgh has some new housing stock that can start to make it seem like it's always had two-story bungalows dotting the neighborhood. It and Capital View Manor also border what will likely be an amazing greenspace currently owned by the Annie E Casey Foundation. Yet, it seems like the beltline project is fixated on the Eastern part.

So, with the beltline able to set real time-tables like good project managers do, does anyone have the foggiest idea of when the Southeastern and Southwestern parts of the beltline trail start?

P.S. I was amazed by the beltline art project on University Ave in Pittsburgh. It seems like the first sign of beltline life in the neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 6:28 AM
I've been around

I found this in a creative loafing article:

Quote:
Plans have been drafted, though not finalized, for the portion of the trail cutting through Reynoldstown and Cabbagetown and south to Glenwood Park, where it dead ends in an active freight rail line that stretches to roughly Adair Park in southwest Atlanta. The city’s apparently no closer to acquiring that segment, which when merged with other Beltline arcs would form a nearly continuous, backward c-shape, than it was years ago.
So how do you interpret the above? They are going to continue to at least Glenwood park for now but meet some challenges in the South end because of the active freightlines?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I found this in a creative loafing article:

So how do you interpret the above? They are going to continue to at least Glenwood park for now but meet some challenges in the South end because of the active freightlines?
I think the Beltline folks have been sensitive from the beginning to the reality that there are underserved areas along the 'circle', and that there are limitations to physical construction throughout. The first trail built was the West End Trail (see link below). There have been LOTS of studies/public meetings/conceptual drawings done for the SE and SW portions. I think the Eastside trail offered potential for immediate high use and visibility, it made sense from a design & use standpoint connecting very diverse intown neighborhoods, parks and cultural amenities, and the land was already owned, and the construction was feasible - that they decided to do this portion of the trail now.

I encourage everyone to check out the website - there are great renderings of the trail, transit, landscaping, and land use plans for all segments.

http://beltline.org/

http://beltline.org/progress/progress/

West End Trail -

Quick Facts:
2.4 miles in length from White Street to Westview Cemetery
Opened to the public in October 2008 (Phase I) and June 2010 (Phase II)
Includes Gordon White Park, completed in October 2008 as part of Phase I
Connects West End, Mozley Park and Westview neighborhoods
Design and construction managed by the PATH Foundation
First segment of Atlanta BeltLine Arboretum planted by Trees Atlanta
Funded by Transportation Enhancement grants through the Georgia Department of Transportation, the PATH Foundation and Atlanta BeltLine Partnership Capital Campaign
Creates direct connections to Brown Middle School and Kipp/Strive Academy
Features the first permanent mural along the Atlanta BetlLine - "West End Remembers"

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 9:27 AM
I've been around

There are no concrete timelines for the SE portion and that isn't very credible. There isn't even a stated timeline with the start date being dependent on funding. So what's the issue? If there's a barrier, they should be discussing it in more detail and what the plans are for eliminating that barrier. The content on the beltline site hasn't changed in over a year except for the Eastside trail. I also think they have most of the information shared during in-person meetings to avoid having to put anything in writing.

Last edited by netdragon; Dec 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:04 PM

Eastside Trail Phase 2 (extention from Irwin to Memorial or Glenwood Ave. depending on funds) and the Westside Trail from Washington Park to Adair Park will both begin next year.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta