HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 8:41 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Untitled by dc_denizen, on Flickr
Square, uninspired flat top; when we see what we could've had it is a de-inspiring flat top.

This tower takes me to borderline rancor.... This was supposed to be the nicest one of the three and all they did was just dumbed it down to a block within a block look.

Although I still don't agree with it I can understand that the cross-braces take out usable office space.

But those 4 spires were very unique and would have made an awesome impact on the skyline and nicely complemented 1WTC. This tower leased out nicely, there was money to keep true to the towers little bit of essence left... I mean Jeez why did Silverstein have to go so far out of his prudish way to even remove them also??

Just what a miserable an cheap pile of humanity Larry Silverstein is!

3 WTC, from grandiosity to abject banality; they could do a documentary off of it on "value engineering (AKA: increase profit margin after bait and switch).

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 10:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
Square, uninspired flat top; when we see what we could've had it is a de-inspiring flat top.

This tower takes me to borderline rancor.... This was supposed to be the nicest one of the three and all they did was just dumbed it down to a block within a block look.

Although I still don't agree with it I can understand that the cross-braces take out usable office space.

But those 4 spires were very unique and would have made an awesome impact on the skyline and nicely complemented 1WTC.

The fact that the Freedom Tower has that giant antenna/spire, and its so close to this one is why I don't think the loss of the spires matters as much. It's still he same building. However, I do think the slight height cut overall makes this tower look even bulkier. Standing so closely to 4 WTC (also bulky) doesn't help to make this one soar the way that it should or would located somewhere else in Manhattan. But that's the effect of having so many large towers so close together.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 8:39 PM

What beautiful shots!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 9:19 PM

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 9:07 AM

the "crown" turned out to be a real dud too. bummer.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 4:06 PM

^ I'm not in downtown proper too often, so the north facade is mainly what I see and I agree: it's just another box, nothing more and nothing less.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 8:37 PM

Although its exciting to see new development, I do hope the next era will bring more skyscrapers designed with more terraced peak like crowns, instead of these flat boxes. ie. The Chysler, ESB, One Vanderbilt ect.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 12:38 AM
New Yorker for life

I don't know what you people are looking at, this building is gorgeous.

JULY 11, 2017

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

That's one of the best shots of the complex I've ever seen.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:52 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I30A2025.jpg by Jack Jack, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 8:34 PM

agree with NYGuy, this building is freaking awesome. Just a little higher please but the bracing and pinstripes make up for the loss of the spire. Id rather have the spire but it's still great without it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
agree with NYGuy, this building is freaking awesome. Just a little higher please but the bracing and pinstripes make up for the loss of the spire. Id rather have the spire but it's still great without it.
I agree with both, the building is turning out great and looks really good in person. However, the spires would have distinguished it a little more from the other towers in the complex. Now it is distinctive and the bracing looks awesome. However, there are so many tall buildings built or planned downtown that the spires would have given it more character to stand out long range. IMO.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Was thinking today as I was on BQE, as I stared at this tower, that it doesn't really look spectacular from a far. Now, close up, this tower is amazing, but it doesn't have the impact that WTC1 has at 5 or 10 miles away. Not because of its size or height, but by the design. IDK, maybe its just me or the weather today, but from afar, this doesn't impress as much. One of those cases were for some, up close is better. I find a similar perception with regards to 5 Beekman. Looks like garbage once you look at it from 10 or 20 blocks away, but at the right angle, let's say a block or two away, the facade aids it aesthetically. Think of it like minimum and max approach distances for a tower to look good.

A tower like ESB or 10 Hudson looks good 5, 10, 15, 20 mile away, but 3 WTC's design makes it look quite bland from a far, yet very nice upclose.

Just an observation.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 11:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Was thinking today as I was on BQE, as I stared at this tower, that it doesn't really look spectacular from a far. Now, close up, this tower is amazing, but it doesn't have the impact that WTC1 has at 5 or 10 miles away. Not because of its size or height, but by the design. IDK, maybe its just me or the weather today, but from afar, this doesn't impress as much. One of those cases were for some, up close is better. I find a similar perception with regards to 5 Beekman. Looks like garbage once you look at it from 10 or 20 blocks away, but at the right angle, let's say a block or two away, the facade aids it aesthetically. Think of it like minimum and max approach distances for a tower to look good.

A tower like ESB or 10 Hudson looks good 5, 10, 15, 20 mile away, but 3 WTC's design makes it look quite bland from a far, yet very nice upclose.

Just an observation.
Aren't buildings,like women,supposed to be seen from up close???
Also ,5 Beekman is FUGLY in any cases!!!..(I am willing to give some money if it can help to tear it down!)
Imo,175 G is gorgeous!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 3:41 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 11:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

175 Greenwich Street Almost Finished, Glass Reaches Pinnacle

Quote:
There has been no bigger development saga in Manhattan than the rebuilding of the World Trade Center, and while it may not seem glaringly obvious, things took a major step forward this week as the glass atop 175 Greenwich Street reached the building’s parapet. It will still take another few months for the southern and eastern sides of Three World Trade Center to be completely enclosed, but both northern and western fronts are now fully complete, as seen in the latest photos by Joe Woolhead.

Designed by Richard Rogers, 175 Greenwich Street is the third major building in the complex, and its evolution from the initial plans proposed back in the mid-2000s has been substantial. Portions of the tower have lost the cross-bracing featured in the original design, and the parapet lost four separate spires that would’ve crowned the project. But regardless of those relatively small aesthetic changes, the building has now reached its 1,080-foot pinnacle.

The tower began construction back in 2011, however concerns over an anchor tenant ultimately led to a several-year pause, before work resumed in March of 2015. GroupM ultimately agreed to anchor the building, which allowed it to rise beyond the base podium, and design changes were subsequently reported by YIMBY in June of 2015.

After that, the tower reached supertall status early last year, and officially topped out on June 23rd, of 2016. The steel skeleton reached the concrete a few months ago, and since then, glass has been the major component of progress, with the exterior now fully sheathed on two sides.

The next steps for the site include continued work on the interior, as well as the installation of the last bits of glass on the southern and eastern faces. Beyond that, the site still has one major supertall to go, and plans for 200 Greenwich Street have suffered continuous setbacks and delays since the location was initially supposed to yield a tower by Norman Foster. That creation was shelved for a design by Bjarke Ingels/BIG Architecture, featured at the following link in an interview with YIMBY, which has subsequently been relegated to eternal purgatory after Fox/Newscorp decided against the move Downtown.
======================
NYY

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 4:12 PM

The final products looks so good.

I am pleased.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 12:43 AM
New Yorker for life

August 1, 2017

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 1:42 AM

A new modern building and that tall? wohoooo...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive