HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 6:31 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
It means making them smaller and more boring.
god, i'm really begging to in this BS the PA has caused.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
No, it's accurate. Silverstein's latest offer is to build Tower 3 first, which would leave Tower 2 as the only tower not financed, resulting in only the podium being built, probably by the Port Authority. The redesign they are talking about is for the base of the towers. The PA has already begun a redesign of the PATH terminal which would lead to a redesign of those towers anyway. Now both sides have about a week to come up with a solution before things are decided for them.
Oh come on now, NYguy. I know that they want to build Tower 3 first. We just discussed it a few pages back. My point was either it is old news or there is renewed talk of a Tower 2 podium. Given the articles you posted it appears that is the case. How unfortunate.

If they're going to build a podium for T2 and completely redesign T3, just build another Tower 1. This is silly. I guarantee you a cheaper Tower 3 is going to look like garbage.

Let me rephrase that: Should Tower 3 be redesigned/reduced in height and Tower 2 turned into an ugly stump, then the original site plan will be scrapped as well.

What a disaster.

Last edited by meh_cd; Mar 5, 2010 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 7:46 AM

A redesign is actually necessary I think because it makes no sense to have a huge fortress for the base of tower 1 and then all glass shopping malls in the bases of the other towers which are right next to it. Any terrorist who wants to bomb the freedom tower and then sees this next door is going to have a field day. It sucks but its reality.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 8:02 AM

That isn't why they're redesigning it. If anything beefing up security would just make this tower more expensive. Besides, this one doesn't carry the burden of being called "Freedom Tower".

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 10:39 AM
Editor

PLEASE PLEASE START CONSTRUCTION OF AT LEAST TOWER 3!!! I like it too much.

And we need more towers U/C.: The tallest U/C is 1 WTC with 1,776´, the second tallest is Tower 4 with 975´. The differnce is too much.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 4:21 PM
World Machine

A design that would be comparable to Tower 4 in terms of height, size and look would be acceptable. To be honest the Tower 3 or Tower 2 in their current design phase wouldn’t work alone. I love both designs, especially Tower 3, but the overall outcome is what it is.

Frankly there have been so many mixed messages in this thread that I can’t even grasp where this stands at this point. The articles state one thing but then the following posts contradict in many cases.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 5:11 PM
Editor

I think they will built some ugly stumps at the end...

However, I still hope for good news...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
A design that would be comparable to Tower 4 in terms of height, size and look would be acceptable. To be honest the Tower 3 or Tower 2 in their current design phase wouldn’t work alone. I love both designs, especially Tower 3, but the overall outcome is what it is.

Frankly there have been so many mixed messages in this thread that I can’t even grasp where this stands at this point. The articles state one thing but then the following posts contradict in many cases.
Well, either we'll know what is going to happen by March 11 or it will go back to arbitration.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 6:51 PM

It's not going back to arbitration. The panel stated that they will make their own decision if the two parties can't come to an agreement.

The panel can also stop all construction for 10 years, scrap Towers 2 and 3 completely, thus jeopardizing the Transit Hub, or even worse, just kick Silverstein out of the equation completely. So I would advise these two come to a decision fast, before they hear one that is going to be very nasty.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 6:54 PM

I think Tower Three should keep its height but keep the design in tune with Tower Four which is my favorite. I do not like the bracings and the uneven setbacks. It does not fit in with the others which are more linear.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 7:09 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
It's not going back to arbitration. The panel stated that they will make their own decision if the two parties can't come to an agreement.

The panel can also stop all construction for 10 years, scrap Towers 2 and 3 completely, thus jeopardizing the Transit Hub, or even worse, just kick Silverstein out of the equation completely. So I would advise these two come to a decision fast, before they hear one that is going to be very nasty.
What??? They can stop all construction!?? Including the Memorial and 1WTC??

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 7:15 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it'll go back to the arbitration panel for the decision. That's what I meant.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 2:02 AM

Regarding the construction on Tower 2 I would have to say I'm in favor of it and then again maybe not. It has nothing to do with the design I think it's perfect. I just don't admire where it would be placed. The view of the East River from the Freedom Tower would be killed off by Tower 2 and it's just one of those buildings in the way hiding the Freedom Tower from the East River and more specifically the Brooklyn Bridge. What I do like is how all the Towers standing beside each other just creating this massive wall of skyscrapers. If it gets built, it gets built, if not then so be it. I hope they at least build Tower 3 because that would have a great impact on the skyline and it would stand along side Tower 1 and Tower 4. In the end something will go there so we'll just stay tuned and see what happens. I've always favored Tower 3 and was amazed when I first saw what it would look like in the future.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 5:52 PM
World Machine

Quote:
The panel stated that they will make their own decision if the two parties can't come to an agreement.
Perhaps that’s what it needs to come down to then; for the sake of getting the site rebuilt in some way shape or form that is amicable for all parties.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 2:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
My point was either it is old news or there is renewed talk of a Tower 2 podium. Given the articles you posted it appears that is the case. How unfortunate.

If they're going to build a podium for T2 and completely redesign T3, just build another Tower 1. This is silly. I guarantee you a cheaper Tower 3 is going to look like garbage.

Let me rephrase that: Should Tower 3 be redesigned/reduced in height and Tower 2 turned into an ugly stump, then the original site plan will be scrapped as well. What a disaster.
Oh, there was either going to be the fully built tower, or a podium until the tower can be built, no other way about it. It was only a matter of which tower got built first - 2 or 3. Now that Silverstein intends to build T3 first, T2 gets the podium.

A height reduction is not part of the resolution, the Port thinks Silverstein can save more money with a redesign, which doesn't necessarily have to be something significant. But T3's design is something I don't want "watered down". It's the most "radical" of the 4 WTC towers. We already have the understated Tower 4, and T2 is simply another tower without its diamond summit.

The site plan will stand, its the rebuiding schedule that's in question. The PA was never against rebuilding the towers, just when and how. If you're the guy that's paying the rent (Silverstein), the answer is now and by any means possible..

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 3:15 PM
Editor

Ok NYGuy. What is when they decide to built T3 and not T2. How long will it take until I will see a green line under the buildings diagram in the SSP diagrams.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Oh, there was either going to be the fully built tower, or a podium until the tower can be built, no other way about it. It was only a matter of which tower got built first - 2 or 3. Now that Silverstein intends to build T3 first, T2 gets the podium.

A height reduction is not part of the resolution, the Port thinks Silverstein can save more money with a redesign, which doesn't necessarily have to be something significant. But T3's design is something I don't want "watered down". It's the most "radical" of the 4 WTC towers. We already have the understated Tower 4, and T2 is simply another tower without its diamond summit.

The site plan will stand, its the rebuiding schedule that's in question. The PA was never against rebuilding the towers, just when and how. If you're the guy that's paying the rent (Silverstein), the answer is now and by any means possible..
We think alike.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 1:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Patience wears thing...

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ATE/100309884#
Construction workers to rally at Ground Zero
Demonstration comes as arbitrator's Friday deadline nears for Port Authority and Larry Silverstein to finally settle their long-running differences.

By Theresa Agovino
March 8, 2010

Quote:
Thousands of unionized construction workers, plus a few elected officials, are expected to hold a rally Tuesday to pressure the two sides warring over rebuilding part of Ground Zero to reach an agreement.

The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey and Larry Silverstein have been feuding for more than a year over how much financial support the agency should provide the developer to help him build. An arbitration panel set a deadline for this Friday for the two sides to devise a new plan and schedule for Mr. Silverstein to build three towers on the portion of the site he leases from the Port.

“We want to bring to the forefront the sense of urgency to get something done,” said Gary LaBarbera, president of the Building & Construction Trades Council of Greater New York., a union trade group. “We want to urge them to stay at the bargaining table.”

Union unemployment hovers around 35%, and a deal that will help Mr. Silverstein start building a second tower could help reduce that rate, said Louis Coletti, president of the Building Trades Employers’ Association, which represents contractors who use union labor. Mr. Silverstein has already started to construct one of his office buildings.

“This disagreement has dragged on too long,” said Mr. Coletti.

Both Mr. LaBarbera and Mr. Coletti plan to address the rally, which starts at noon and is expected to draw between 2,000 and 5,000 members of the construction trades. Other speakers are expected to include: City Council Speaker Christine Quinn and U.S. Representatives Joseph Crowley, Peter King, Carolyn Maloney, Michael McMahon and Gregory Meeks.

The rally is to be held in front of 7 World Trade Center, which is owned by Mr. Silverstein. However, Mr. Coletti says the location does not mean that the unions or management favor Mr. Silverstein's proposal over the Port's.

“It's not a pro-Larry rally,” he said. “It's a build now rally.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 10:43 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
“It's not a pro-Larry rally,” he said. “It's a build now rally.”
lol, sooner or later you have to decide on which side you are, but then again it's not all black and white. the rally is on!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 2:03 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.wnyc.org/news/articles/151436

Ground Zero Construction Workers Urge: 'Build It Now'

by Matthew Schuerman
NEW YORK, NY March 09, 2010

Quote:
Several hundred construction workers spent their lunch hour at a rally near Ground Zero to pressure the Port Authority and developer Larry Silverstein to resolve a standoff over the financing of three proposed office towers at the site.

The Port Authority and Silverstein face a Friday deadline for a new rebuilding timetable.

There were speakers blaring rock music. There were no less than six elected officials -- congressmen, city councilmen, public advocate -- and they all had a simple message: build it now.

A number of workers who were down here were wearing buttons that said 2037 with a red line through it. That was an estimate according to the Port Authority as to how long it would take to build the three towers if left to office market demand.

The rallying workers weren't officially taking sides, but many leaned toward Silverstein and grumbled that the Port Authority should pay what he wants to get the project moving.

Port Authority director Chris Ward says his agency's made an offer -- but Silverstein's demands amount to a public bailout.

Congressman Anthony Weiner suggested the two sides get together at Farrells', the bar in Windsor Terrace, in the back room over a beer and work it all out.

http://www.1010wins.com/Rally-Today-...e-Cent/6530969

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive