HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 2:33 AM

We should have stayed under British control longer. They seem to be designing most of our flagship buildings in New York anyhow.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 12:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Deserves its own audience...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 5:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Construction schedule from wtc.com:

Foundation Construction............................... January - July 2008
Construction Drawings................................... April 1, 2008
Superstructure to Ground Level....................... July 2008 - January 2009
Structural Steel Erection................................ January 2009 - September 2010
Structural Concrete Tower Core & Slab............. March 2009 - November 2010
Core and Shell Work...................................... September 2009 - December 2011
Curtain Wall................................................. November 2009 - March 2011

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 2:43 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_Gentleman View Post
We should have stayed under British control longer. They seem to be designing most of our flagship buildings in New York anyhow.

Two out of five towers at the WTC are designed by Brits and you're willing to toss American independence? Jeesh!

I think it's great that NYC is in for a run of new towers by architects of an international character, but let's remember that group includes Americans, too.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 4:14 PM

It looks like this tower will be great. Congrats NYC

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 11:45 AM
New Yorker for life

pathrestoration.com

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 2:02 AM
The True Avatar

Nice hole in the ground. At least we are still seeing progress. I am just too damn impatient

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 12:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenapolis View Post
Nice hole in the ground. At least we are still seeing progress. I am just too damn impatient
This is a new hole, in preparation for the foundation. Just a little more than 2 months before this must be completed.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 12:40 AM

Wow so that means that this project is starting ahead of schedual?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 1:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi123 View Post
Wow so that means that this project is starting ahead of schedual?
Not really. The Port Authority was in charge of building the new "bath tub" and excavation. Silverstein takes charge in January.

Another look at that schedule:

Foundation Construction............................... January - July 2008
Construction Drawings................................... April 1, 2008
Superstructure to Ground Level....................... July 2008 - January 2009
Structural Steel Erection................................ January 2009 - September 2010
Structural Concrete Tower Core & Slab............. March 2009 - November 2010
Core and Shell Work...................................... September 2009 - December 2011
Curtain Wall................................................. November 2009 - March 2011

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 1:45 PM
New Yorker for life

From wtcrising.com...

Note the excavation inside the newly constructed "tub" on the sites of towers 3 and 4.
Only a couple of months before this must be complete, and construction begins on those towers...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 6:21 PM
Desert Dweller

^ Pardon my lack of knowledge, but could someone please confirm my assumptions?

In the photo above, the bottom right is the FT, above it on the right is the memorial, the lower left is WTC 2, and WTC 3 and 4 are above it.

The transportation hub is between tower 2 and 3.

Am I on track? Here is a rendering from wtcrising.com from which I am making my assumptions:

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 8:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
^ Pardon my lack of knowledge, but could someone please confirm my assumptions?

In the photo above, the bottom right is the FT, above it on the right is the memorial, the lower left is WTC 2, and WTC 3 and 4 are above it.

The transportation hub is between tower 2 and 3.
Am I on track?
That's correct. The site of the transportation hub is the only one where they aren't digging. Above that is the sites of towers 3 and 4. Below that is the site of tower 2, where they are still working on the new tub.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 12:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Just read from a WSJ article that one option from Silverstein was for a tower 3 with "several more floors" and about 14 % more space. For that to happen, they would have to throw the site plan right out the window. But the city/state seems intent on keeping Merrill Downtown, so anything is possible.

We'll see if Downtown's really serious about keeping Merrill. I read this quote in a Nov 14 WSJ article:

Quote:
Government officials and developer Larry Silverstein have a second chance to woo Merrill Lynch & Co. to the World Trade Center.

Sensing an opening, Downtown forces presented a revised package that people familiar with it say is cheaper than Vornado's, but of similar quality and size. People familiar with Merrill's thinking say its decision -- which could include staying put Downtown in Brookfield Properties' World Financial Center -- could come anytime.
However, it wouldn't shock me if the Hotel Penn site was still on.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 12:41 PM
New Yorker for life

http://downtownexpress.com/de_236/undercover.html

Silver’s namesake lining

November 16 - 22, 2007

Efforts to keep investment bank Merrill Lynch in Lower Manhattan were on hold “at least a little” while the company searched for a new C.E.O., Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver told UnderCover Tuesday.

Now that John Thain, C.E.O. of NYSE Euronext, has been named to the post, Silver is hoping to convince Merrill Lynch to take advantage of incentives and relocate to the World Trade Center.

Stan O’Neal, Merrill’s recently sacked C.E.O., seemed to be the one pushing for an expensive move to Midtown.

Keeping Merrill Lynch would “guarantee the viability of Downtown as the financial capital of the world for the next 50 years,” Silver said.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 6:27 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Given the financial trouble that O'Neal created at Merrill, I really doubt that an expensive new tower is in the offing... those poor people will have their hands full recovering for a while.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Given the financial trouble that O'Neal created at Merrill, I really doubt that an expensive new tower is in the offing... those poor people will have their hands full recovering for a while.
An "expensive new tower" will be built regardless of who is in charge. Their lease is running out and they have no room in their existing setup. They will be in new facilities whether at the Penn Hotel site, the WTC or WFC.

I bet you they go to Penn. The other two sites make no financial sense, and every indication from the bank is for a new Midtown tower.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 7:54 PM
World Machine

I think there is a chance they'll stay in Downtown, and if they are, my bet is placed on the WTC.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I think there is a chance they'll stay in Downtown, and if they are, my bet is placed on the WTC.
That would be strange, because the site cannot accomodate large trading floors. Merrill is the world's largest trading firm.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 8:05 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That would be strange, because the site cannot accomodate large trading floors. Merrill is the world's largest trading firm.
Yes I realize that, but there have been talks of making 3 WTC taller if Merrill decides to take up the offer. Now even at that I feel it wouldn't be large enough to meet their needs. Who knows, maybe they'll take 3 WTC and keep some offcies in the WFC. The offcies will just be an underground walk away.

I don't believe that Merrill is going to be taking intentions form O'Neal into consideration. The man has caused them the biggest corporate loss in nearly 100 years, and on top of that he wanted a 4 billion dollar tower. Now I'm not aware of the companies finances, but I do know that any company that takes that big of a financial hit isn't running out to build a new multi billion dollar tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive