HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 9:35 PM

Wadsworth Development will be building a multi family mixed use development on 400 s and 400 e. (rent a center / subway)

https://www.facebook.com/WadsDev/?hc...BNICAo&fref=nf

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Wadsworth Development will be building a multi family mixed use development on 400 s and 400 e. (rent a center / subway)

https://www.facebook.com/WadsDev/?hc...BNICAo&fref=nf
I reached out to them for more info. I had a hunch something was in the works for this site.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Great feather in the cap for the Wasatch Front. Thanks for reporting Isaac. I was also impressed that the Milken Institute ranked Provo MSA #1 and Salt Lake City MSA #4 for best metros for Seniors.

...More than 80 percent of Americans age 65-plus live in metropolitan areas,1 and nearly 90 percent of older adults in the U.S. want to age in their homes and communities.2 Thus, the "Best Cities for Successful Aging" index is not intended to identify the locales to which older adults should retire. Instead, the index and report are designed to highlight the nation's most livable metropolitan areas—those that enable an optimal quality of life for their aging citizens.

"Cities are on the front lines of the largest demographic shift in history," said Paul Irving, Chairman of the Center for the Future of Aging. "Lifespans are extending into eight, nine, and ten decades, and older adults increasingly are seeking lifelong engagement and purpose. They expect their cities and communities to support their changing needs."

To evaluate the metropolitan areas that foster the best overall quality of life for older adults, the Milken Institute utilized public data--83 indicators across nine categories. These categories included general livability, health care, wellness, financial security, living arrangements, employment, education, transportation and convenience, and community engagement...

2017 "Best Cities for Successful Aging" Rankings

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300423392.html

Rankings – Large Metros

1..Provo, UT

2..Madison, WI

3..Durham-Chapel Hill, NC

4..Salt Lake City, UT

5..Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA

6..Austin-Round Rock, TX

7..Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA

8..Jackson, MS

9..Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH

10..San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA

The Milken Institute also gave the Wasatch Front, Salt Lake City and the U. of U. specifically pretty cool bragging rights in this prestigious category!

The Milken Institute Ranks the Best U.S. Universities for Technology Transfer
- New Report Cites University Research Funding, Technology Transfer as Catalysts for Economic Growth https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300442457.html

University of Utah #1 out of more than 200 ranked - BYU #4

LOS ANGELES, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Milken Institute today released a new report ranking more than 200 universities across the United States for their prowess in developing basic research into new technologies, products and companies – a process known as "technology transfer."

The report "Concept to Commercialization: The Best Universities for Technology Transfer" also carries with it a clear policy recommendation: American research universities are among the nation's most powerful engines for domestic economic growth, and funding to sustain their research brings strong returns in the form of new industries, businesses and jobs.

"American economic vitality is fueled by invention," said Ross DeVol, chief research officer for the Milken Institute, who also authored the original 2006 study on the topic. "As a society, we understand our universities as the training ground for the next generation of leaders and doers, but we often overlook the benefits these institutions impart simply by bringing new ideas to life. Our study shows the impact of university research both locally and nationally is profound, and needs our support."

The report found that university research funding supports the creation of both middle- and high-skill industry jobs through innovation, commercialization and technology transfer, with varied and significant multiplier effects. As such, it makes four key policy recommendations:[/B]

Maintain basic scientific research funding. Basic research provides long-term economic benefits by allowing universities to take on research that has a low probability of quick commercial success, but potential to deliver a high reward and to create whole new industries.
•Incentivize technology transfer through a new federal commercialization fund. The federal government should increase research funding under a special commercialization pool. Universities demonstrating greater commercialization success in the market should receive higher funding in this program.
•Increase technology transfer capacity through federal matching grants. The federal government should commence a matching grant program with states to fund an increase in staff and resources in technology transfer offices (TTOs). Higher rates of academic entrepreneurship are essential to reviving declining start-up rates and productivity across the economy.
•Increase technology transfer efficiency by adopting best practices. At the state level, policies should be implemented that incentivize the adoption of best practices in commercialization at public universities, including TTOs. Efficiency gaps between universities outside of the top 25 in our Technology Transfer and Commercialization Index should be narrowed

The top 25 institutions by ranking.

...DeVol, along with Milken Institute co-authors Joe Lee and Minoli Ratnatunga, ranked each university based on four standard indicators of technology transfer success: patents issued, licenses issued, licensing income, and start-ups formed, relying on data collected by the Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM) via the AUTM's Annual Licensing Activity Survey...

Rank...Institution...Indexed Score

#1...University of Utah...100

2...Columbia University...97.83

3...University of Florida...97.66

#4...Brigham Young University...97.58

5...Stanford University...95.6

6...University of Pennsylvania...95.39

7...University of Washington...95.11

8...Massachusetts Institute of Technology ...94.33

9...California Institute of Technology...94.11

10...Carnegie Mellon University...93.54

11...New York University...93.41

12...Purdue University...93.02

13...University of Texas System...92.88

14...University of Minnesota...92.75

15...University of California, Los Angeles...92.13

16...University of Michigan...91.58

17...Cornell University...89.49

18...University of Illinois Chicago Urbana...89.37

19...University of South Florida...88.93

20...University of California, San Diego...88.55

21...Arizona State University...88.49

22...University of Central Florida...88.21

23...Northwestern University...87.95

24...University of Pittsburgh...87.75

25...North Carolina State University...87.73

As a proud/diehard Ute, this makes me really happy.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Boston is now making even more sense to me than Atlanta.

Amazon may have dropped a clue about its new headquarters

Aaron Pressman - January 11, 2018 - MSN Money http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...z&ocid=U453DHP

Amazon is in talks to lease 500,000 square feet of offices in Boston’s Fort Point Channel neighborhood, a hot destination for tech companies, with an option to double the amount of space also being discussed, the Boston Globe reported Thursday. The search started before Amazon publicly disclosed its HQ2 search, the paper said.

That sounds a lot like the first stage of the plan Amazon laid out for HQ2. Though the second headquarters is ultimately projected to house 50,000 workers in a $5 billion, 8-million square foot campus by 2027, Amazon said the first phase of the project would be to open about 500,000 square feet of space in 2019 in the new city...

https://www.google.com/maps/

http://lecomtedominique.com/

Downtown Boston from across Fort Point Channel

I toured this area last year with the Downtown Alliance, developers and city staff. There are amazing things happening that part of town and a lot of what they've done there could be replicated in the Granary on a smaller scale.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:28 PM

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 12:22 AM

Did I miss the discussion on the Hub of Opportunity project in South Salt Lake? It was announced back in October, but the only news reports I have seen on it have been in the city's newsletter and the organization's website.

It seems to be a TOD at Meadowbrook station, next to the Via apartments. It also happens to be down the street from my home (: so I have been looking to get more information on it.

http://www.columbusserves.org/unveil...ital-campaign/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 12:36 AM

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 12:40 AM

I appreciate these reports a lot, but I don't know about the rest of you, I'd like to see more pics on this forum directly.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Nah. Not really. Just want to portray the area accurately is all.
I live near there. That property takes advantage of people, particularly women, to a ridiculous degree. Not only do I not want places like that in my city I don't want them to exist. This is long over due imo and low income housing is the right solution.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 3:18 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
I live near there. That property takes advantage of people, particularly women, to a ridiculous degree. Not only do I not want places like that in my city I don't want them to exist. This is long over due imo and low income housing is the right solution.
My initial post only mentioned that, while a seedy motel (but that whole area is seedy and it's not going to change with the Capitol Motel going), it wasn't home to multiple murders. It's typical low-value crime. Which, again, is likely to remain anyway because that area is still pretty seedy - especially the houses next to it. I used to buy weed off a guy who lived on Wilson Avenue when I was in high school and I think that neighborhood is probably a bit worse today than a few years ago.

I'm cool getting ride of the Capitol Motel ever since they lost their original sign, which was pretty bad-ass.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 9:30 AM

I will be very happy to see the Capitol Motel go. No, it won't eliminate the crime in that area, not by a long shot, but the stretch of State St. between 1700S and 2100S is one of the seediest and most run-down areas of the city, and this is a step in the right direction. With a major development going in on the south end of that region (The Crossing), the SLCC South City campus just to the north, and some modest redevelopment occurring in the neighborhoods to the west of there, I hope to see a turnaround of this area within the next 5-10 years. There's a lot of potential in this area - lots of industrial/warehouse areas, seedy motels, car dealerships, and abandoned houses/storefronts to redevelop, with some hidden gems - Rusted Sun pizzeria aka the best pizza in Salt Lake City for example. I could see it competing with the Granary District for microbreweries as well (RoHa is already around there, not to mention Shades of Pale and soon Saltfire being very close).

I just wish this redevelopment could've happened while I was still attending classes at that campus.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 4:45 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Sounds like Utah wants to perpose the Draper Prizon site for Amazon hedquarters... bummer. I think they will say no.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 9:41 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Sounds like Utah wants to perpose the Draper Prizon site for Amazon hedquarters... bummer. I think they will say no.
They were going to say no to any site Utah put up. But I think it gives us a glimpse into how the legislature operates and the continued, and overwhelming, suburban way of thinking that dominates the local mindset here.

Salt Lake was never realistically considered. Unfortunately, Salt Lake City just doesn't have the pull that you'd expect from the core city in the state's largest urban area. It's been like this for decades. We saw it with the Maverik Center in the 90s, which was originally supposed to be built adjacent to the Viv downtown before leaders pushed for the WVC site. We saw it with RSL and the political maneuvering to squash the downtown site by revoking RDA funding for sports complexes, which made it financially impossible for a stadium in the CBD. Of course, when RSL ran into financial issues in Sandy, and needed money, the legislature bent over backwards to appropriate the same RDA funding to build the stadium out there. Hell, we even saw it with the homeless shelters. The original intent was to spread the shelters throughout the valley - but everyone scoffed. What do you know? Again, Salt Lake (and I'll consider So. Salt Lake part of the city for this argument since it's often interchangeable) got a bulk of the shelters.

Well I shouldn't say Salt Lake gets overlooked for everything. The state was kind enough to start developing the prison site in our lovely city. But of course, that was because they wanted to open that area in Draper, which is valuable, no doubt, to further construction and that'll be their nice investment once the new prison opens. I'm so glad the Millers committed to renovating the Viv, even though I've been critical of the cheapness of it, because it means they've committed to staying downtown for the foreseeable future. Had they forgone renovation, and decided to build a new arena, it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to build it out in Draper.

I think most people don't realize that the Wells Fargo Center, back when it was built by the American Stores Company, was originally planned to be built by the Maverik Center in West Valley City. That's where the tower was originally going to go. It only later was built downtown after West Valley leaders rejected the idea due to its height.

Could've lost that, as well.

Oh well. It worked out. And we've gotten some breaks, too, with the construction of the Delta Center and the broadway theater. But we've also lost out on the hockey arena, the aquarium and, biggest, the soccer stadium - all three of which were planned to be built downtown before being relocated to the south-end of the valley.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 6:03 AM
Ironweed

[QUOTE=Comrade;8046239] Unfortunately, Salt Lake City just doesn't have the pull that you'd expect from the core city in the state's largest urban area. It's been like this for decades.

Very true Comrade. It is apparent the state and the city are at odds with each other. It is detrimental to all parties involved.

It is likely that development of the CCH has not occurred because of this foolish riff.

The state has internal self dealings and benefactors from many decisions which do not benefit the general public.

Utah will continue to remain a backwater until the people elect a balanced legislature, the politicians grow up, and the city and state work together.

It is embarrassing to discover our state officials feel that a major corporate headquarters does not belong in a urban center. Pathetic.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:48 AM

This highlights how imperative it is to work hard to get urban-oriented state legislature members elected this year.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
It would be great if Amazon were to give feedback to all the cities/states that submitted proposals but weren't picked. I realize there are too many but the response wouldn't have to be extensive. For Utah's they could just say "We wanted an urban campus, your proposals were suburban, so... yeah."
For Utah they could just write: "Did you guys even read the RFP?"

We should start a hashtag about this and start tweeting at our state leaders to show them how badly they missed the mark.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 6:50 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...t-project.html

Somthing really needs to happen with Regent Street. As it stands right now it seems like the whol project was a flop.

To this date none of the retail space on the bottom of the parking garage is in use, and it seems pretty clear that the hotel isn’t happening.

Hopefully this art project adds some appeal.

They really need to do somthing with the open court yard area behind the walker center garage. It seems really bland the way they did it. Somthing needs to be done to the back end of the walker center garage... I think they should also rip up some of the concrete in that court yard and add trees, fountains, maybe some places for people to sit and hang out.

Someone also needs to try harder to get some tenants in there. I’m kind of surprised that the large space on the SE corner of regent and 100s hasn’t been leased. That would make a great restaurant space.

Also the large game store at city creek has closed. Not sure what will be going in it’s place. That’s a shame. I liked that store and thought it added some diversity to the mall.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 11:13 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
This highlights how imperative it is to work hard to get urban-oriented state legislature members elected this year.
100% agree but unfortunately, the legislature is dominated, in terms of control, and power, by suburban and rural interests. Since Salt Lake City is the only relatively urban area (maybe Ogden) in the state, and its political ideology is in direct contrast to the legislature (liberal & Democratic vs conservative & Republican), the city is hardly represented at any level in the government. Because of this, politicians in authority, guys like Speaker Hughes (thank God he's retiring - but he'll also probably run for governor, which is much worse) represent Draper or Utah County towns that have little to no urban fabric or understanding of the need for urban living.

That's the biggest drawback to Utah government. It's not diverse in the least. It's the most monolithic government in the country. I say that without reservation. I bet you won't find a state government that is less diverse than Utah. Other states have high ranking officials representing their major urban areas. Chicago is well-represented in the Illinois General Assembly. The President of the Illinois State Senate is from Chicago and represents a Chicago district. The Speaker of the House is from Chicago and represents Chicago. New York is well-represented in the New York State Assembly. The Speaker of the Assembly there represents part of the Bronx. Denver is well-represented in the Colorado General Assembly. Their speaker, a female, represents a district in Denver.

None of our high-ranking politicians are from diverse areas in the state. Granted, unless Salt Lake elects a Republican in a legislative district within its borders, it's unlikely that'll change. But you can see why that mindset dominates the legislature. At the end of the day, suburban and rural communities have an advocate in the legislature. Salt Lake does not. The legislature seems to take glee in actually sabotaging the capital city.

This is why I am hoping the increase of outside migration into the state sustains. Because diversity is the only way to change the makeup of the legislature. The fact it's 80% LDS, despite Utah being nowhere near that level, means there is a huge misrepresentation of the people within the state.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 11:26 PM
Chancellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
It would be great if Amazon were to give feedback to all the cities/states that submitted proposals but weren't picked. I realize there are too many but the response wouldn't have to be extensive. For Utah's they could just say "We wanted an urban campus, your proposals were suburban, so... yeah."
Based on the RFP, Amazon definitely seemed open to a suburban campus. They did list on-site transit as one of their core preferences, and the prison site has nothing of the sort. But a lot of cities are proposing sites that don't currently have on-site transit. I suppose they figure they can work it in later.

But I do see the Utah proposal as a bust. It seems stupid not to include an urban site as one of the 3. I think state leaders saw the 100 acres of greenfield as a must.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 11:35 PM
Chancellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...t-project.html

Somthing really needs to happen with Regent Street. As it stands right now it seems like the whol project was a flop.

To this date none of the retail space on the bottom of the parking garage is in use, and it seems pretty clear that the hotel isn’t happening.

Hopefully this art project adds some appeal.

They really need to do somthing with the open court yard area behind the walker center garage. It seems really bland the way they did it. Somthing needs to be done to the back end of the walker center garage... I think they should also rip up some of the concrete in that court yard and add trees, fountains, maybe some places for people to sit and hang out.

Someone also needs to try harder to get some tenants in there. I’m kind of surprised that the large space on the SE corner of regent and 100s hasn’t been leased. That would make a great restaurant space.

Also the large game store at city creek has closed. Not sure what will be going in it’s place. That’s a shame. I liked that store and thought it added some diversity to the mall.
That game store was my favorite store at city creek! That's a shame. Maybe a lego store can go in that space now, though seems unlikely with the store already at fashion place.

I agree that Regent Street needs more work. The east side of the street (base of the parking garage) is very boring and monotonous. It should be better once the spaces are filled, and three of the spaces are currently in the process. The permit process + the interior construction is excruciatingly slow, but the first restaurant (Last Course) should be opening very soon. It looks like they are finishing up the interior. The next two should be open by summer, though hopefully before then.

And ditto to the walker street parking garage wall. That thing is awful. I think since the open plaza area acts as the entrance to the loading docks, it prevents any kind of vegetation from going there, tho I could be wrong about that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West