HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 5:40 PM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallg223 View Post
Talked with someone from city government last night. Rumor mill starting to get very strong concerning RSA (David Bonner) planning another Highrise office tower and or highrise Hotel. I hope this person knows what there talking about.
Awesome! This is the third time I've heard of something new about future Bronner projects. I wonder where it could be placed and if it will follow RSA's Mobile designs.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 9:53 PM

Maybe he will decide to encapsulate Barton Academy in glass and build ten stories on top of it, like he's doing with the old Supreme Court building in Montgomery. It could be a win/win!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 9:59 PM

I'd love a nice highrise mixed use complex a couple of blocks north of the RSA Tower.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 12:40 AM
Mobile, Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallg223 View Post
Talked with someone from city government last night. Rumor mill starting to get very strong concerning RSA (David Bonner) planning another Highrise office tower and or highrise Hotel. I hope this person knows what there talking about.
Nice.

Check this out, Fox Business did a story about the tanker impact on Mobile....here

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonCity251 View Post
Nice.

Check this out, Fox Business did a story about the tanker impact on Mobile....here
Thanks for that... missed a skyline shot, though.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 2:56 AM

this one has a nice shot of RSA towards the end

http://www.foxbusiness.com/video/ind...Object=1186221

Last edited by The 251; Jun 8, 2008 at 3:11 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 4:42 AM

Ah... there she is! Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 5:29 AM

Dauphin Realty pointed me to a neat map from last year showing the developments going on downtown. I figure the majority of the people on here would want to see this so here it goes:

http://www.dauphinrealty.com/Economi...evelopment.pdf

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 12:50 AM
BANNED

I loved Mobile when I was there. I may move there when I retire. I am burned out on Nashville.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 2:03 AM
<- My idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraider86 View Post
I loved Mobile when I was there. I may move there when I retire. I am burned out on Nashville.
Thanks for the kind words. Mobile is kind of a weird town. It's pretty small, but in many ways is much more cosmopolitan, and I would say more interesting (to me at least) than many cities that are much larger. I accepted the fact long ago that having a nice mall with a Luis Vuitton store may make my wife happy, but a great city it makes not. I spend most weeks on the road in larger Southeastern cities, and can't wait to get home.

In most ways, it has no resemblance to most of the sunbelt cities that have exploded in recent years, but its still going through a fairly amazing economic growth cycle now - on it own terms.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:57 AM

I was browsing thru the RSA website tonight and came across this interesting arcticle. Dont know if anyone else caught it so here it is....

RSA CEO touts state's progress
Calls larger tax base crucial to maintaining momentum
Saturday, May 10, 2008

Alabama's economy has been the nation's best over the past 15 years, Retirement Systems of Alabama CEO
David Bronner said Friday.Only Nevada comes close to matching the economic progress Alabama has made, but Alabama must increase its tax base to better fund education and prepare workers for tomorrow's jobs, Bronner said at Alabama 2018
Conference, an event Business Council of Alabama and Business Alabama magazine publisher PMT Publishing
sponsored to examine the state's outlook over the next decade.

"Alabama has the lowest tax base in the country," Bronner said. "If we're going to compete with North Carolina
and other states, we must better fund institutions that prepare the state's work force."
Bronner said Alabama has made phenomenal strides in turning around its economy over the past 15 years. He
touted a quadrupling of the state's tourism revenue from $1.8 billion in 1992 to $9 billion last year, along with a
string of new businesses from Mercedes' auto plant in Vance to the railroad car plant being built near Muscle
Shoals.

He said the $40 billion Air Force tanker contract awarded to the Northrop Grumman-EADS team, combined with
the ThyssenKrupp steel plant about to begin construction, could transform Mobile and have ripple effects
statewide.

However, Bronner said Alabama's success could stall if state agencies, especially kindergarten-grade 12
schools and colleges, don't get more funding. "I can assure you Georgia, Tennessee and other states aren't sitting by," said Bronner, who added properly educating future workers is critical to help Alabama over the next decade and beyond.
Bronner said Alabama faces four main economic challenges today - rising oil prices, China's growth, fallout from
the war in Iraq and the struggling national economy. "Our nation produces only 4 percent of the oil in the world, yet consumes 25 percent of the world's oil," he said. "And 60 percent of the world's oil is held by six Arab countries. That is a concern."

Bronner said he believes the subprime housing crisis could worsen in coming months and that it is nearing its
peak. He said Alabama and the nation are at a pivotal moment as they adapt to tough economic times. "We are at a crossroads as a country and state," Bronner said. "We've got to decide in which direction we want to go."

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 4:48 AM
---

Sadly, I have as much faith in Alabama's abilities to make good decisions regarding education as I do in John Parker Wilson not turning the ball over in clutch situations.

That was a good article, though. Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:10 PM
Closed account

Yes, very nice article. Alabama is a great state & right now, Alabama is better than most for the situation our nation is in.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:47 PM

Talking

Thats great news about bronner's rumors. Its nice to hear that!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 5:49 PM
Transport Planner

Well, I'm back from my lengthy hiatus, not that anyone noticed of course

And I found this link on msnbc for the Maritime Museum.

http://http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19097675/

It's a year old, but it brought some interesting thoughts to mind. If the attendace is expected to be so large, wouldn't it make sense to expand...? I see an aquarium coming soon...?
I really think mobile could support one, as well as a nice zoo.
And I still can't understand why on earth they are fighting about turning the old courthouse lot into a park, when there are acres upon acres north of the city to use for a large nice park...but then again that's just my opinion

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 6:33 PM

Talking

sweet! so we should be close to the $10 million goal by now, right? I would hope..

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 6:45 PM
Closed account

Good to know.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Well, I'm back from my lengthy hiatus, not that anyone noticed of course

And I found this link on msnbc for the Maritime Museum.

http://http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19097675/

It's a year old, but it brought some interesting thoughts to mind. If the attendace is expected to be so large, wouldn't it make sense to expand...? I see an aquarium coming soon...?
I really think mobile could support one, as well as a nice zoo.
And I still can't understand why on earth they are fighting about turning the old courthouse lot into a park, when there are acres upon acres north of the city to use for a large nice park...but then again that's just my opinion
i've been saying all of that for the longest,you're right phoneniboi08.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 1:40 PM
Transport Planner

And I would LOVE to see a zoo in the park...something like the Bronx Zoo.

I finally got to go to the aquarium in Atlanta a few years ago, and ok, It's HUGE, but i kinda felt dissapointed. It wasn't what I expected.
Sure, they have Whale Sharks, but the glass is SOOOOO thick and curved that they look like sardines. lol
Okay, so I'm exaggerating! All I'm saying, is that we could use a newer Aquarium in the region, that's all.

Has anyone else noticed how many old warehouses on northern Water Street are holding spaces for future development?!? Just looking at them and imagining the possibilities makes me so excited!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 1:56 PM
Closed account

I work at a zoo!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast