HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Me to BS. I think it looks very high-tech. With that said, I think this Richard Meier deign would have looked even better,
now that is fantastic. there's a pretty big difference between those two, design wise.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...expansion.html

The tower on Glenn Iris is a proposed hotel. With this level of expansion I can definitely see Apple signing on at PCM.

I was able to take a look at a few other views of this proposal from a friend that was apart of the O4W alliance. Note that the tower above the existing parking deck along north ave. is only 1 tower. The third tower is tucked back behind the shed along the beltline. You can just see the corner of it in this view. They had a detail rendering of this third tower but it was just a basic blue box. about 12 stories if I remember correctly.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 7:12 PM

There's an AP story out about sprinkler systems going around ( one here ) and it mentions that the city of Dallas has 89 high-rise residential buildings. Anybody know a similar stat for Atlanta? Nothing obvious is coming up with searches. Not sure what their criteria for "high rise" is (20 stories?) or residential (what about buildings with hotel or office *and* condo units?)

Just curious and couldn't find that info across across different cities. Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
There's an AP story out about sprinkler systems going around ( one here ) and it mentions that the city of Dallas has 89 high-rise residential buildings. Anybody know a similar stat for Atlanta? Nothing obvious is coming up with searches. Not sure what their criteria for "high rise" is (20 stories?) or residential (what about buildings with hotel or office *and* condo units?)

Just curious and couldn't find that info across across different cities. Thanks!
Try this.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 7:23 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmadsen View Post
I was able to take a look at a few other views of this proposal from a friend that was apart of the O4W alliance. Note that the tower above the existing parking deck along north ave. is only 1 tower. The third tower is tucked back behind the shed along the beltline. You can just see the corner of it in this view. They had a detail rendering of this third tower but it was just a basic blue box. about 12 stories if I remember correctly.
Any time-frame on when any of this might start?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
Any time-frame on when any of this might start?
no, sorry I didn't think to ask.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Speaking of, someone mentioned in another thread atlanta loop provided more renderings:

I do not enjoy the Glen Iris proposal. From the low-rise portion to the high-rise, seems poorly thought out. I do, however, enjoy the large sidewalks.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Oh I see. I didn't notice it before you pointed this out. It's going to be really hard to imagine what O4W was like before the park was built.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:46 PM

The Business Chronicle speculated that this is where Apple will go.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:53 PM

These are the images I saw. Agree with the comment about the treatment to Glen Iris - they have a nice setback on their side of the property but they give the middle finger to the folks on the other side of the street.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:57 PM

Quote:
These are the images I saw. Agree with the comment about the treatment to Glen Iris - they have a nice setback on their side of the property but they give the middle finger to the folks on the other side of the street.
Well it's their land...they can do what they want with it. That's what happens when you live in a city....sometimes your views will be blocked.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Because its not setback from the street? I don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post

I do not enjoy the Glen Iris proposal. From the low-rise portion to the high-rise, seems poorly thought out.
Care to elaborate?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 1:45 AM
Development Spectator

Developers are always pursuing deals. But this seems destined to happen: https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...tah-strip.html

Now when does the study to put a linear park between 5th and 10th over the connector being?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Care to elaborate?
Sure thing. From a strictly design perspective, you should not be building an 18 story hotel directly adjacent a 10 story building (PCM) as well as a handful of 2-4 story low-mid rises (both proposed and existing). Additionally, the watertower is an incredible feature that should be accentuated, not hidden from its surroundings.

This rendering from GT's northside drive studio does a great example displaying the setback that helps create a pleasant urban experience for pedestrians when out and about. Notice there's an appropriate setback that tapers off as the height continues to increase, as this helps not to feel the development is looming over an individual or neighborhood in an out of place fashion. This glen iris parcel would be much better if it were to step incrementally in height. Instead, we have a poorly designed proposal that resembles Houston's lack of zoning and caters to a theme park like destination catering to its own whims (18 story hotel and 2-3 story low-rise proposal next to PCM and 2-4 story condos nearby is incredibly disrespectful to the surrounding neighbors and hardly creates a sense of place for the neighborhood). Rather, this neighborhood *should* be a welcoming design for a neighborhood that people should live in. I cannot say it enough, but the hotel hotel and 2-3 story low-rise adds little to the surrounding area.

Additionally, the 18 story hotel's height alone would block PCM's own view of downtown's skyline from both the offices as well as the rooftop. It's a poor and merely selfish decision to place that tall of a hotel located there. PCM's water tower is the emblem of this side of the neighborhood and has grown/is growing into a recognizable landmark, an item that Atlanta is much in need of preserving. By continuing to dwarf the water tower from the skyline, we would be creating a fortress around an insular project rather than building out a welcoming neighborhood and design standard that should be expanded upon. PCM, as much good as it has brought the neighborhood, does not have the right to inadvertently negatively impact the neighborhood as they please. As such, it is our right to encourage appropriate development. I want to be clear blocking views is not what convinces me this is a poor proposal. Rather, the general disregard of basic design standards neglect of existing features and neighborhood has led me to raising issue with the project.

Instead of what is proposed, I'd encourage 3-7 story brick developments modeled similarly to recent redevelopment in Chicago's West Loop, with ground floor retail and residential above. Each building would run horizontal from east to west and there would be a pedestrian plaza not accessible to cars between the two buildings. The point of the development would be to encourage a place to live, rather than encouraging the insular theme park like vibe people currently visit by car. Ideally, we'd redevelop the whole PCM except for the old standing sear's warehouse. Dancing goats/city winery would also be developed in a similar fashion to the glen iris parcel. Shorter row-home like developments would line the west side of the public park in front of the "PONCE CITY MARKET" sign viewable from North Ave, as well as the east side of the property along North Ave. Streets (tan with orange outline) would be treelined, with light colored pavement to reflect the sun rather than trap heat, as well as have tasteful designs on the streets to deter drivers from speeding and help create the sense of place. Extend Ponce City Market NE southbound so it can connect with a theoretical new road connecting to Morgan street once the parcel southeast corner of North and Glen Iris is redeveloped. Pedestrian plazas (green with orange outline) would be automobile free zones. As a transit oriented development, newly created parking would be limited. Rather, shared parking would occur with the east wing of PCM, the new parking podium, some underground parking below the northwest and northwest developments on glen iris, and limited if any street parking, which would be limited to diaganol or parallel spaces. No Parking on North Ave to account for new dedicated lane transit and new streetscaping.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Well it's their land...they can do what they want with it. That's what happens when you live in a city....sometimes your views will be blocked.
I'm super excited for this development. Wish it was twice as tall, honestly. I just think the residential buildings could benefit greatly from a bit of a set back on the western side of the site. It would allow more light into the street. This is why a lot of the tallest buildings in ny and Chicago are designed with setbacks.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Sure thing. From a strictly design perspective, you should not be building an 18 story hotel directly adjacent a 10 story building (PCM) as well as a handful of 2-4 story low-mid rises (both proposed and existing). Additionally, the watertower is an incredible feature that should be accentuated, not hidden from its surroundings.

This rendering from GT's northside drive studio does a great example displaying the setback that helps create a pleasant urban experience for pedestrians when out and about. Notice there's an appropriate setback that tapers off as the height continues to increase, as this helps not to feel the development is looming over an individual or neighborhood in an out of place fashion. This glen iris parcel would be much better if it were to step incrementally in height. Instead, we have a poorly designed proposal that resembles Houston's lack of zoning and caters to a theme park like destination catering to its own whims (18 story hotel and 2-3 story low-rise proposal next to PCM and 2-4 story condos nearby is incredibly disrespectful to the surrounding neighbors and hardly creates a sense of place for the neighborhood). Rather, this neighborhood *should* be a welcoming design for a neighborhood that people should live in. I cannot say it enough, but the hotel hotel and 2-3 story low-rise adds little to the surrounding area.

Additionally, the 18 story hotel's height alone would block PCM's own view of downtown's skyline from both the offices as well as the rooftop. It's a poor and merely selfish decision to place that tall of a hotel located there. PCM's water tower is the emblem of this side of the neighborhood and has grown/is growing into a recognizable landmark, an item that Atlanta is much in need of preserving. By continuing to dwarf the water tower from the skyline, we would be creating a fortress around an insular project rather than building out a welcoming neighborhood and design standard that should be expanded upon. PCM, as much good as it has brought the neighborhood, does not have the right to inadvertently negatively impact the neighborhood as they please. As such, it is our right to encourage appropriate development. I want to be clear blocking views is not what convinces me this is a poor proposal. Rather, the general disregard of basic design standards neglect of existing features and neighborhood has led me to raising issue with the project.

Instead of what is proposed, I'd encourage 3-7 story brick developments modeled similarly to recent redevelopment in Chicago's West Loop, with ground floor retail and residential above. Each building would run horizontal from east to west and there would be a pedestrian plaza not accessible to cars between the two buildings. The point of the development would be to encourage a place to live, rather than encouraging the insular theme park like vibe people currently visit by car. Ideally, we'd redevelop the whole PCM except for the old standing sear's warehouse. Dancing goats/city winery would also be developed in a similar fashion to the glen iris parcel. Shorter row-home like developments would line the west side of the public park in front of the "PONCE CITY MARKET" sign viewable from North Ave, as well as the east side of the property along North Ave. Streets (tan with orange outline) would be treelined, with light colored pavement to reflect the sun rather than trap heat, as well as have tasteful designs on the streets to deter drivers from speeding and help create the sense of place. Extend Ponce City Market NE southbound so it can connect with a theoretical new road connecting to Morgan street once the parcel southeast corner of North and Glen Iris is redeveloped. Pedestrian plazas (green with orange outline) would be automobile free zones. As a transit oriented development, newly created parking would be limited. Rather, shared parking would occur with the east wing of PCM, the new parking podium, some underground parking below the northwest and northwest developments on glen iris, and limited if any street parking, which would be limited to diaganol or parallel spaces. No Parking on North Ave to account for new dedicated lane transit and new streetscaping.
I see you've given this some thought. LOL

Yes there are lots of different things that could be done in the development but not everything works in every situation. For example Glen Iris is not now and will never be a "Boulevard" lined with retail. There would be no point in treating it as such with this development.

But the main thing to remember is that they have pointed out that this is a preliminary plan that will change with neighborhood input.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Yes there are lots of different things that could be done in the development but not everything works in every situation. For example Glen Iris is not now and will never be a "Boulevard" lined with retail. There would be no point in treating it as such with this development.
Glen iris is already lined with retail easily supported by existing infrastructure, so I find your comment to be incredibly shortsighted. I do hope we see many changes in the proposal.

Last edited by Street Advocate; Jul 25, 2017 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:01 PM

More downtown residential

Gilbane Development planning Office-To-Residential Conversion at 100 Edgewood Ave

Quote:
“Right now, at a high level, we're looking at it as a conversion from office to multifamily residential. I imagine it will have a student focus, but it wouldn't be student exclusive.”

Paces Properties' The Office apartments, a $55M conversion of a 20-story office tower off Piedmont Avenue, recently stabilized to more than 90% occupancy and garnered $2/SF rents. That has prompted Paces to move to put the tower up for sale.

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...500_atlanta-re

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Glen iris is already lined with retail easily supported by existing infrastructure, so I find your comment to be incredibly shortsighted. I do hope we see many changes in the proposal.
Agree to disagree.

I personally think that you are over thinking this and that the proposed expansion is a fantastic development at this stll early stage of its design. This doesn't have to be a replica of something nice someplace else in order for it to work. And I said that Glen Iris would never be a Boulevard not that it didn't have retail.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:04 AM

Quote:
I see you've given this some thought. LOL

But the main thing to remember is that they have pointed out that this is a preliminary plan that will change with neighborhood input.
Martinman, much of what Street Advocate describes are very basic urban design principles that have been proven to have merit even in urban core settings like Midtown and Downtown. Unfortunately they are rarely applied in Atlanta, but they should be considered absolutely essential in this context, where building 18 story buildings will contribute nothing to the walkability, tree canopy, or overall livability along Ponce/Glen Iris/North. It also sets a bad precedent for the scale of buildings along the Beltline and as Street Advocate mentions, continues the inward-focus of so many of Atlanta's major developments. Atlanta doesn't need anymore high-rise zones, it needs to continue filling those that already exist.

As was mentioned in another thread, we need to beat the drum for more developments like 764 Memorial - appropriately scaled, with quality materials.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta