HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 4:29 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Bob Dylan blowing into Canadian Tire Centre June 29

Megan Gillis, Postmedia
Published on: March 20, 2017 | Last Updated: March 20, 2017 9:44 AM EDT

Bob Dylan’s tour will make an Ottawa stop in June, sandwiched between gigs in Kingston and Montreal.

The legendary singer-songwriter, 75, will play Kingston’s Rogers K-Rock Centre on June 27, Canadian Tire Centre on June 29 and Montreal’s Bell Centre on June 30.

Tickets go on sale Friday through Ticketmaster.com.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...centre-june-29

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 10:54 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Feist, Joss Stone, Serena Ryder, Kenny Rogers and more to play 2017 TD Ottawa Jazz Festival

Peter Hum, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: March 22, 2017 | Last Updated: March 22, 2017 6:00 PM EDT

Singer-songwriters Feist, Joss Stone and Serena Ryder plus a selection of blues and soul artists will enjoy pride of place on the TD Ottawa Jazz Festival’s main stage in Confederation Park this summer.

The festival’s 37th annual edition, which will run from June 22 to July 2, will also present its usual eclectic range of music in venues ranging from the NAC Studio and Theatre, where some top-drawer contemporary jazz acts will play, to the studios of La Nouvelle Scène on King Edward Avenue, which will focus on musical adventurers and avant-gardists, to the Festival Plaza’s Tartan Homes stage, where grooving and hip-hop-based draws will dominate.

Of the female headliners, Canadian folk-rocker Ryder will lead the charge, playing in the park June 23. English soul singer Stone plays June 25, and Canadian pop star Feist closes the festival on July 2.

There will be more soulful sounds in Confederation Park when the young Alabama-based band St. Paul and the Broken Bones opens the festival June 22, while veteran soul singer Charles Bradley and His Extraordinaires play June 30. The night before, June 29, will see a double dose of the blues on the main stage featuring Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters at 7:30 p.m. and the Legendary Downchild Blues Band at 9:30 p.m.

Veteran country star Kenny Rogers plays in the park on June 24.

Jazz per se makes its presence felt on the main stage on June 28, when Charlie Haden’s Liberation Music Orchestra, under the direction of pianist Carla Bley, plays. The band is a tribute not only to the late bassist Haden, who led the off-and-on group from the late 1960s to just a few years ago, but to progressive politics and causes expressed through music.

Another tribute to an iconic, departed musician will take place June 26 in the park, when funk saxophonist Maceo Parker, a sideman for James Brown and Prince, will join the Ray Charles Orchestra and the Raelettes.

The other main stage show announced Wednesday is the June 27 booking of the French, dancer-friendly, electro-swing outfit Caravan Palace.

Jazz-above-all fans can expect to spend much of their festival at the NAC, where, for example, guitarist Bill Frisell will play duets with bassist Thomas Morgan in the Theatre on July 23.

The next night, the urbane mainstream pianist Kenny Barron plays a solo concert in the Theatre at 7 p.m., followed by the all-star quartet Hudson, which includes guitarist John Scofield, keyboardist John Medeski, bassist Larry Grenadier and drummer Jack DeJohnette, at 9 p.m. R ‘n’ B great Mavis Staples plays the NAC Theatre on June 26.

The smaller NAC Studio will feature successive nights of jazz with a contemporary edge. Japanese piano virtuoso Hiromi plays duets with the unique jazz harpist Edmar Castañeda June 27, followed by piano trio The Bad Plus on June 28.

Powerhouse tenor saxophonist Donny McCaslin, whose recognition has skyrocketed in the past year and a bit following his collaborations with David Bowie on the late legend’s swan-song album Blackstar, will play two sets in the studio with his Blackstar band on June 29. A few days later, on July 2, that band’s remarkable drummer, Mark Guiliana, will bring his jazz quartet to La Nouvelle Scène.

A contingent of forward-thinking British musicians will play the festival, including the distinctive electric-jazz quartet Dinosaur (La Nouvelle Scène, June 24), two hard-hitting pianos (Neil Cowley Trio at La Nouvelle Scène June 29 and Phronesis at the NAC Studio June 30), saxophonist Shabaka Hutchings playing groovy, spiritual jazz with his South Africa-based group The Ancestors (Tartan Homes stage, June 27) and the prodigious singer and multi-instrumentalist (and Grammy winner and YouTube phenomenon) Jacob Collier (Tartan Homes stage, June 30).

That stage’s OLG After Dark series will also host the hip-hop-based music of the Robert Glasper Experiment, led by the Grammy-winning U.S. keyboardist, on June 26, and Montreal’s Nomadic Massive on June 28, as well as the Toronto-based klezmer-gypsy group the Lemon Bucket Orkestra (June 24) and the unalloyed jazz of Russian saxophonist Igor Butman and the Moscow Jazz Orchestra (June 25).

Musicians with Ottawa roots figure in three notable collaborations at La Nouvelle Scène. On June 22, Ottawa-raised, Toronto-based drummer Nick Fraser, the perennial anchor of the festival’s jam-session house band, plays with Brooklyn-based avant-garde stars Tony Malaby on saxophone and Kris Davis, an Canadian expat, on piano. On June 25, Ottawa guitarist Roddy Ellias will join forces with the lyrical and harmonically entrancing U.S. pianist Marc Copland and Montreal bassist Adrian Vedady. On June 27, Ottawa percussionist and Carleton University professor Jesse Stewart convenes his free-spirited Sonoluminescence Trio, which includes the firebrand U.S. bassist William Parker and Canadian baritone saxophonist David Mott.

Preceding the festival’s main stage headliners on most nights will be the long-standing Great Canadian Jazz series. Highlights of the series this year will include the group of the young guitarist Alex Goodman (June 22), Joel Miller’s Dream Cassette project with vocalist Sienna Dahlen (June 26) and Juno-winning saxophonist Allison Au’s quartet (July 2).

Three shows at the NAC’s Back Stage will feature outward-bound Canadian groups — Toronto guitarist David Ochipinti’s chamber project Camera (June 23), Vancouver guitarist Gordon Grdina’s multicultural large ensemble Haram (June 24) and Montreal saxophonist Jean Derome’s raucous Les Dangereux Zhoms project (June 26).

The festival’s late-night jam sessions are to return this year to the Grill 41 restaurant of the Lord Elgin Hotel.

A gold pass for all jazz festival shows is $327, and a bronze pass for all indoor shows is $199. A youth (ages 12 to 25) bronze pass is $90. Advance single-day tickets will range from $37 for youths to $87 for platinum tickets on selected nights. Advance regular single-day tickets will be $47 or $67, varying nightly. Day-of tickets are an additional $3. Shows at the NAC Theatre are $52, while NAC Studio shows are $42. La Nouvelle Scène and NAC Back Stage shows are $27.

Tickets are available at ottawajazzfestival.com or by calling 613-241-2633.

phum@postmedia.com
twitter.com/postmedia.com
ottawacitizen.com/jazzblog

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...-jazz-festival

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
A few years ago, I got the full pass, because there was literally at least one band per day that would interest me. Recently, I scaled down to the pick-3 or pick-5 passes, as there were at least 3-5 days worth going. This year? I don't think I will be able to find 3 days, unless I really force myself.

For me, the bands I wanna see are all bands I have already seen:

The Shins
July Talk
Live

Although, same day as The Shins, is LCD Soundsystem - which is pretty cool and I have yet to see them, so the best day for me will be that day.
Yeah the last few years the line-ups have deteriorated significantly I feel. I used to go all the time but I've honestly only been once in the past few years.

I went for the three-pack this year though cause I was already doing two nights and it costs almost as much anyway individually:
LCD Soundsystem/Shins/Phantogram
Flume/Migos
and Tom Petty.

About July Talk - I went to my friend's place in Toronto for drinks a while back and a few members of the band (Peter, Ian, I think one of the other guys) were there. I didn't know who they were until twenty minutes into their conversation hah. It was especially disorienting cause that night, I happened to be drinking the Collective Arts beer Rhyme & Reason which featured a July Talk label on one of the bottles. Nice guys.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 3:38 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

For anyone into electronic music.

Paul Oakenfold at Barrymores | Saturday May 13th

https://www.electrostub.com/events/180397

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:16 PM

I just saw that CityFolk 2017 released some of their lineup, I have never gone but one of the headliners is of interest to me.

Anyone know if you can buy single day tickets for this event, and if yes, what the cost has been in the past?

http://www.cityfolkfestival.com/

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post
I just saw that CityFolk 2017 released some of their lineup, I have never gone but one of the headliners is of interest to me.

Anyone know if you can buy single day tickets for this event, and if yes, what the cost has been in the past?

http://www.cityfolkfestival.com/
You'll definitely be able to get single day tickets. In the past its ranged from $40-$60 if I recall correctly. Basically if you're planning on going two nights you're better off getting the $99 pre sale pass and then go as many nights as you want.

Amped to have Jack Johnson coming, saw him at Osheaga way back when that was only two days long.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
You'll definitely be able to get single day tickets. In the past its ranged from $40-$60 if I recall correctly. Basically if you're planning on going two nights you're better off getting the $99 pre sale pass and then go as many nights as you want.

Amped to have Jack Johnson coming, saw him at Osheaga way back when that was only two days long.
Thank you for that info. You nailed it, we saw him back in '05 at the Molson Ampitheatre in Toronto... not missing another chance to see him live. Honestly, never thought there was ever a chance he played here. Woo!

More than likely for us it would be a one night thing, will keep your point in mind.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 2:38 AM

Live Nation is opening an Ottawa office. New VP for the region says it probably means more shows for the city and developing Wesley Clover Parks into a major festival site.

Quote:
Live Nation opens Ottawa office, hires veteran local concert promoter Ken Craig

Lynn Saxberg, Ottawa Citizen Lynn Saxberg, Ottawa Citizen
More from Lynn Saxberg, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: June 7, 2017 | Last Updated: June 7, 2017 7:17 PM EDT

Live Nation Canada is opening an office in Ottawa, the latest step in the international concert promotion company’s ongoing global expansion.

The company has announced that it has appointed veteran Ottawa concert promoter Ken Craig as vice president of the region. His responsibilities include developing new concert and festival sites in Eastern Canada and acting as a liaison between the corporate concert industry and federal government agencies that support live music.

“There’s so much going on now in the music industry in Canada that we feel that having an office here is important,” Craig said in an interview. “Live Nation is getting very serious around the world.”

Ottawa is the fourth Live Nation office in Canada, joining a network that already includes Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary. The company also owns Ticketmaster.

Craig said the new arrangement is good news for concert fans in the nation’s capital, and is sure to mean more shows coming to town. Live Nation produces about 70 shows a year in various Ottawa venues, most of them organized by Craig as an independent producer on retainer with the company.

The city has a great track record in supporting live music, Craig added, recently impressing the Live Nation bosses by snapping up almost all available tickets to Canadian Tire Centre shows by The Weeknd, Dixie Chicks, Chris Stapleton and Dierks Bentley.

“All the shows coming to Ottawa in the last two years have been phenomenal,” Craig said. “The Weeknd sold out, and Ottawa had the best sales in Canada for the three country shows — Dixie Chicks, Stapleton and Bentley.”

One of Craig’s first priorities is to develop the equestrian centre property at Wesley Clover Parks, which hosted last summer’s Shania Twain comeback, into a major festival site. He hopes to have it ready to rock in 2018.

What’s more, between the National Arts Centre’s renovation, an arena and stadium at TD Place, and plans for a new hockey stadium, the company sees plenty of room to expand the Ottawa concert market. “There’s a lot happening in Ottawa, and we feel it’s important to make sure we keep the lead on it,” said Craig.

The promoter is also a big fan of booking shows at Canadian Tire Centre, especially country artists. “I think it’s part of the reason Ottawa does so well on our country shows,” he said. “CTC is close to the Ottawa Valley, which is where I think a majority of country fans are.”

Craig, who grew up in Manotick, started working for the Ottawa concert promotion company Bass Clef as a runner in 1979. He was also an avid concert photographer.

After attending McMaster University, where he started booking shows, he returned to Ottawa to be vice president of Bass Clef. He opened his own concert promotion company in 1997, and became a partner on retainer for Live Nation in its earliest incarnations, first MCA Concerts and then House of Blues Concerts.

In addition to being the producer of Jerry Seinfeld’s Canadian concert dates for the past 10 years, Craig oversaw the development of a venue production strategy at the new Centre Vidéotron in Quebec City and developed the outdoor concert site at Magnetic Hill in Moncton, NB. He also has expertise operating in Northern Ontario, another territory with expansion potential.

Craig is now looking for office space in the region and making plans to hire staff. “After 21 years of working at home, it’s time to make it legit,” quipped the father of two university-bound daughters.
http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...oter-ken-craig

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:32 AM

Escapade Music Festival is also moving to Lansdowne Park from Rideau Carleton Raceway. Very short notice as their festival is June 24 and 25th. They sited that RCR and Hard Rock essentially changed their zoning and wanted them out. They worked with the City and landed at Lansdowne. I prefer this over the rural setting that was RCR. Wonder how Glebe residents will enjoy the electronic beats! Escapade Facebook Annoucement re: Lansdowne

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 8:16 PM

I wonder where everything will go... I've been to Escapade last year and the festival is pretty big with a few different stages and lots of people.

Will they have stages on the lawn of TD place? Or would that damage it and they will try to fit everything on the "great lawn"?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:44 AM
National Capital Region

Arcade Fire at CTC September 9, tickets on sale tmr
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...a-in-september

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I wonder where everything will go... I've been to Escapade last year and the festival is pretty big with a few different stages and lots of people.

Will they have stages on the lawn of TD place? Or would that damage it and they will try to fit everything on the "great lawn"?
I heard they will have 3 stages and one will be indoors. Presumably in the Cattle Castle.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:12 AM

I read a Citizen article that I don't care to look for again, which said the indoor concert will be held in the arena, and the two outdoor stages (on the lawn) will employ all the technology they can do divert sound directly at the audience and not homes.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Escapade Music Festival is also moving to Lansdowne Park from Rideau Carleton Raceway. Very short notice as their festival is June 24 and 25th. They sited that RCR and Hard Rock essentially changed their zoning and wanted them out. They worked with the City and landed at Lansdowne. I prefer this over the rural setting that was RCR. Wonder how Glebe residents will enjoy the electronic beats! Escapade Facebook Annoucement re: Lansdowne
I envisaged Escapade at Lansdowne for a few years now since Lansdowne re-opened, and since the success of the CiftyFolk there, so to see this news is simply amazing! Good for them! Just way easier from a public transit perspective too, less people will be driving which is also less risk of accidents (as these party peeps do tend to indulge). I have been to a few Escapades over the years, at RA Centre & Rideau Carleton, but I will have to miss this one, not on my priority list with a newborn! lol Still, I wish them success at Lansdowne, and perhaps I will go for a stroll with my family and check it out from outside of the gates/fence if the weather is nice that weekend.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Arcade Fire at CTC September 9, tickets on sale tmr
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...a-in-september
I wish they'd play Ottawa.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Just way easier from a public transit perspective too
Will OC Transpo put on extra service, or will they not, and screw up local service for everyone else, as is more typical when there are large events at Lansdowne?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 11:48 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 9:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Arboretum festival rebrands to Bon-Fire, announces lineup

Lynn Saxberg, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: April 27, 2018 | Last Updated: April 27, 2018 8:00 PM EDT

Montreal’s legendary electro-punks Wolf Parade, Calgary psych-rocker Chad Vangaalen and indie-dance darling Jessy Lanza are among the artists who will light up the first Bon-Fire summer event, previously known as the Arboretum festival.

Like last year’s Arboretum fest, the renamed shindig takes place at Rideau Pines Farm near North Gower, with a similar mix of eclectic music, local food and off-the-hook dance parties. It happens Aug. 17 and 18.

Creative director and co-founder Rolf Klausener said the name of their seventh annual festival was changed to avoid confusion, although the event-organizing team will continue to operate under the Arboretum banner.

“When we moved out to the farm last year, we realized the name Arboretum didn’t suit the vibe of the farm,” he said. “We noticed for a while we needed to change the name. There was confusion. Some people thought it was at the Arboretum. We wanted to find a name that encapsulates the end of summer, party, food, music, nighttime, revelry.”

He’s thrilled with the lineup assembled to kick off the inaugural edition of Bon-Fire, which also features performances by Kaytranada collaborator Shay Lia, art folkie Jennifer Castle, poetic rockers Casper Skulls, Montreal’s Napster Vertigo and U.S. deportee and dance DJ Chippy Nonstop, to name a few of the out-of-town acts, plus Ottawa rockers Bonnie Doon and Heavy Medicine Band.

“It really feeds into a lot of the main genres we’re really into, like indie and art folk and all of the weirder psych stuff, as well as electronic music, electro dance, hiphop and R & B,” said Klausner. “It’s a nice contrast to the environment. We’re not used to seeing hardcore club music and modern R&B in a bucolic farm setting.”

The music is presented on three stages, including the pine-grove main stage, the Bang Bang barn and a late-night, farm-field stage that will run until the wee hours.

Other plans include a wider selection of food, more parking, an emphasis on art installations and an expanded slate of family-friendly daytime activities.

Early bird weekend passes are $50, plus surcharges, available now at ticketfly.com. Return shuttle bus transportation from the downtown core is included in the cost.

Day passes, a schedule and food program are expected to be announced in June.

For more details, go to arboretumfestival.com

lsaxberg@postmedia.com

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...nounces-lineup

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 12:36 PM

Here's a video I shot and edited of the Joyner Lucas show at The Bourbon Room. He's the guy who has the "I'm Not Racist" video. I'm looking to do more of these concert/event video over the summer. Let me know what you think.

Video Link

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Here's a video I shot and edited of the Joyner Lucas show at The Bourbon Room. He's the guy who has the "I'm Not Racist" video. I'm looking to do more of these concert/event video over the summer. Let me know what you think.

Video Link
This is sick, thanks for putting it together! I was pretty upset I couldn't make the show, I had it flagged on my calendar for a while. Looking forward to more videos!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation