HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 8:37 AM

Downtown Glendale.. Slightly underrated downtown area?

Sad attempt at a panoramic photo..:

Click for larger pic: http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1...aleskyline.jpg

Last edited by Chicano3000X; May 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 2:56 PM

Glendale does have a nice downtown, I was impressed by it in 1999. Always seemed like it could add more office towers too.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:04 PM

Glendale isn't bad at all for suburban Southern California. Connecting these dense, walkable, activity centers and busiess districts with other parts of the LA metro-area via transit will make the region far more sustainable.

I have relatives who live in Glendale and there are some great views of much of the Southern California region from the Verdugo mountains behind Glendale on clear winter days.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:51 PM

You should have led with the second to last photo and not the one with a parking lot in the foreground

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:33 PM
Motor City Mountaineer

Even having lived in SoCal (never been to Glendale), I'm a bit surprised at how large and dense it is. I've always perceived Glendale to be typical suburbia. It's not looking bad at all. Thanks!

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:53 PM

as someone who grew up in and around Glendale, and who's office is in Glendale, i can say that it is indeed underrated. There are a lot of new developments coming (from office to hotel to residential.)

The problem is that the process to get a new project approved and then built in Glendale makes LA's look downright fast. Numerous projects that were announced in 2005 - 07 are now finally ready to break ground but many obviously lost financing or ran into other problems.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 6:16 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Looks pretty dense as well as underrated. Any chance you'll post more photos?

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 6:44 PM

More pics:

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:22 PM
International

Except for Porto's, Glendale is pretty much best avoided if you are not Armenian. Talk about an unfriendly, clannish, and xenophobic bunch of people that call Glendale home. And that's to make no metion of the pretentious, vapid, and materialistic lifestyles that are extremely popular and visible in the city.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Except for Porto's, Glendale is pretty much best avoided if you are not Armenian. Talk about an unfriendly, clannish, and xenophobic bunch of people that call Glendale home. And that's to make no metion of the pretentious, vapid, and materialistic lifestyles that are extremely popular and visible in the city.
way to characterize all Armenians buddy. its like me saying all black people are lazy.

most Armenians are honest and hard working people, as well as being a very successful group. xenophobes? not so much. The only hatred would be towards people that dont try or are not hard working. Doesnt matter if you are Armenian, turk black or jew.

Cant argue much about the materialistic sterotype though

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 9:45 PM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
way to characterize all Armenians buddy. its like me saying all black people are lazy.

most Armenians are honest and hard working people, as well as being a very successful group. xenophobes? not so much. The only hatred would be towards people that dont try or are not hard working. Doesnt matter if you are Armenian, turk black or jew.

Cant argue much about the materialistic sterotype though
Woah, I hardly implied all Armenians have some or all of the aforementioned characteristics. Rather, I stated that those who do possess such characteristics, are quite visible (i.e, the Kardashian wannabe's and kids in leased BMW's stand out the most) and are hardly pleasant to be around. That was the "bunch" I was talking about; obviously, not all Armenians fit into this category, and the vast majority are honest and hard-working - I never said otherwise.

I have lived in an Armenian neighborhood, and went to a high school with a good number of Armenians, not to mention, I am quite often in areas with lots of Armenians (namely, EHO). The scorn and condescension towards blacks and latinos from Armenians, often disguised under them being "lazy," is fairly palpable; ask anybody at LACC about this. Or try walking into any Armenian restaurant apart from Zankou's, and see what kind of service/attention you get.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I know, but I also met some cool Armenians. I still live in the actual city of L.A. but the train tracks nearby are the border between here and Glendale. My neighborhood is like a peninsula of L.A.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Woah, I hardly implied all Armenians have some or all of the aforementioned characteristics. Rather, I stated that those who do possess such characteristics, are quite visible (i.e, the Kardashian wannabe's and kids in leased BMW's stand out the most) and are hardly pleasant to be around. That was the "bunch" I was talking about; obviously, not all Armenians fit into this category, and the vast majority are honest and hard-working - I never said otherwise.

I have lived in an Armenian neighborhood, and went to a high school with a good number of Armenians, not to mention, I am quite often in areas with lots of Armenians (namely, EHO). The scorn and condescension towards blacks and latinos from Armenians, often disguised under them being "lazy," is fairly palpable; ask anybody at LACC about this. Or try walking into any Armenian restaurant apart from Zankou's, and see what kind of service/attention you get.
I never felt any hostility from them. Me being a latino. Only negatives I experiences is that many of the older ones seem uptight.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 11:34 PM
Bah!

Looks good.
I haven't been to Glendale since 1980 but I remember it being a very nice, liveable place. (with very few high-rises like the ones shown above)

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 12:58 AM
Stuck in the Suburbs

Never been there, or anywhere in California for that matter. This clearly needs to change.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 2:12 AM
BANNED

Kingofthehill's racism is completely unacceptable. Is any mod going to do something about it?

As for Glendale, Ive been there a couple times recently and the built form is actually nice and pretty decently sized for it's population but the sidewalks were completely abandoned. Nice pics.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 12:57 PM

If the armenians behave the same way as the turks in Berlin, i can understand Kingothehill.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 12:37 AM

surprised indeed. should stop by next time im in town

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 4:58 AM
Autrefois

I never minded living amongst Armenians during my years in Glendale -- although, why so much VELOUR, ladies? WHY?

I think the best views of DT Glendale are coming from Burbank along the 134 or Glenoaks Blvd. And coming down the 2 from Montrose. Also, I think the skyline is best at dusk when they flip the purple lights on the tower across Central Ave from the Crocodile Cafe.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 5:10 AM
Paramoderator

Just, saying, every stereotype comes from some truth. The Armenians I know tend towards the ostentatious. I have nothing against them, but they do tend towards that.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos