HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 5:11 AM

Not sure if there has been shared already...

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 5:19 AM

Wow, just wow! Thank you new Westminster for building what could be one of the most interesting integrated urban environments in our metro area! It reminds me so much of a city centre / shopping district station in Japan!

Hint hint Vancouver, this is a great example in how you can incorperate an elevated structure (structures if you also include the roadway overpass) into an urban fabric without knocking it down

I really, really hope this development does well. As long as it is kept clean, the lighting is good and there is adequate security is should feel safe and welcoming (as in Japan).

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 6:35 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Cool, thanks for posting that!

Pretty sure I saw stairs cantilevered out over the street at about 4:20.
The pedestrian overpass looks cool, although I don't know if the barriers beside the tracks will really be that low :|

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

Wow, just wow! Thank you new Westminster for building what could be one of the most interesting integrated urban environments in our metro area! It reminds me so much of a city centre / shopping district station in Japan!

Hint hint Vancouver, this is a great example in how you can incorperate an elevated structure (structures if you also include the roadway overpass) into an urban fabric without knocking it down

I really, really hope this development does well. As long as it is kept clean, the lighting is good and there is adequate security is should feel safe and welcoming (as in Japan).
Indeed, this is exactly the kind of creativity Vancouver needs to use with the viaducts. The ugly Expo Line guideway and station are becoming basically invisible here, and everything is pedestrian-friendly.

Lots of details I didn't really notice before in the video, like the bridge over the station (it's going to be crazy seeing that go up) and the pedestrian entrance from the overpass. What's up with the audio quality though? I know MGMT doesn't have the most polished sound, but did they rip the song straight off of the radio or something?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 7:33 PM

Plaza88 (Pan off East Bound Platform/NW Construction)

Video Link

I pass threw this station at least once a week & look forwarded to seeing what has changed. This pan taken from the west end of the east bound platform. Construction is happening fast "e", more of it is starting to make sense as new information comes to light (flythrewvideopostedabove). This is not your typical cookie cutter project & i am curious as can be as to what it is all about?

Very interesting watching the Fly Threw Video posted above.

Last but not least, it was Vanman (a personal friend) who encouraged me to join this forum. This said, i do not know much other than i enjoy watching new projects go up in & around the GRVD. Will do my best to contribute video from time to time.

Passed that, I just enjoy the great reads!!! In this Forum....

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 7:56 PM

cool stuff

should be able to see some US thanksgiving blockbusters there

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 8:45 PM

Yep, as all above agree, a promising urban development. I saw a few like that when I lived in Tokyo, years back.
Stockholm (and other Scand' cities) have similar developments.

Vällingby in Stockholm is similar, and seems to have well withstood the test of time, having been opened in 1959.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 12:48 AM

every render video i see makes me want this to be done more and more. Its by far the best development around. I hope when its done and is a huge success all around will look at it as prime example on what to do around here.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 12:53 AM

I'm primarily worried about the project's very un-pedestrian-scale massing on the Carnarvon St. side. My hope is that any new development on this street (that large empty lot next to the repair garage, for instance) will work to bolster the street as a secondary retail and entertainment district.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 1:16 AM

Exclamation vällingby link

http://www.whitedesign.se/repository...te%20View).jpg

This may or may not be inspirational too. Does our New Westminster project share any common features with Vällingby? Good, not good? Comparisons might (or might not) be interesting.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
I'm primarily worried about the project's very un-pedestrian-scale massing on the Carnarvon St. side. My hope is that any new development on this street (that large empty lot next to the repair garage, for instance) will work to bolster the street as a secondary retail and entertainment district.
theres residential along there for the condo towers at street level

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
http://www.whitedesign.se/repository...te%20View).jpg

This may or may not be inspirational too. Does our New Westminster project share any common features with Vällingby? Good, not good? Comparisons might (or might not) be interesting.
the plans for broadway are quite exciting - what they have done already is quite nice - now just to move the safeway and get the south side of broadway done

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the plans for broadway are quite exciting - what they have done already is quite nice - now just to move the safeway and get the south side of broadway done

I appreciate the info on Broadway, and would like to know more. Can you direct me to a thread or link? Thanks ...... but what about Vällingby? not worth considering, I guess ....

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 5:23 AM

Quote:

I appreciate the info on Broadway, and would like to know more. Can you direct me to a thread or link? Thanks ...... but what about Vällingby? not worth considering, I guess ....
it was posted years ago somewhere in the transit thread about the metrotown, main street and broadway station renovations

i don;t know how to locate it my search skills suck

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
it was posted years ago somewhere in the transit thread about the metrotown, main street and broadway station renovations

i don;t know how to locate it my search skills suck

google Vallingby

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 7:57 PM

Photo update | March 27th, 2011

As seen from SkyTrain

Taken by SFUVancouver, March 27th, 2011.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 4:55 AM
Shoebox Dweller

^^ It's going to be really cool pulling into that station when the structure completely encloses it.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 8:00 AM

SO, so excited about this!

Probably my favourite development in the region at the moment. Have to go by this four times a week by skytrain. Should also provide a nice place to kick back to kill time before catching my bus over at surrey.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 1:33 PM

Yes, this is very "Euro - Japanese" in terms of transit integration into an apartment / retail complex. How many centres like this does Toronto have, I wonder? They're usually ahead of us in this kind of thing - just through being older and larger. Montreal....? Anyone know?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is very "Euro - Japanese" in terms of transit integration into an apartment / retail complex. How many centres like this does Toronto have, I wonder? They're usually ahead of us in this kind of thing - just through being older and larger. Montreal....? Anyone know?
Toronto and Montreal both have substantial underground connections between subway stations and malls, offices, and condos. Think of the Pacific Centre/Vancouver Centre complex, but much, much bigger.

This project is a little different though because it's built around an elevated guideway and station, and because it's so far out into the suburbs. Definitely unusual for this part of the world.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley