HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
To be honest, this retail thread is pretty depressing. All that is ever posted is another store you can find in any other city in the world, opening in a Canadian city.

I really don't understand the hype or praise that the retail in Canadian cities is each day becoming even more of a carbon copy of our American neighbours or even European cousins.

To be Forever 21 opening in Toronto is a sad day, not a happy one. Because now that means when I go to the USA, there will be maybe two stores in the malls instead of three, that actually are different and remind me I am in another country.

It would be nice to see a retail thread in this Canada section that talks about the homegrown, unique business opening in our cities, instead of the multinational chains that do nothing for our cities.

Thats my little rant.
But don't you see? Canada's really just a middleman between Western European and American Cultures. You can call it your own, but really it's just a refined version of both sides of the Atlantic that you turned around and made your own.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:08 AM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
It would be nice to see a retail thread in this Canada section that talks about the homegrown, unique business opening in our cities, instead of the multinational chains that do nothing for our cities.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=129971

There you go. Now quit whining.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 5:20 AM

H&M opens May 10th in Calgary

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 10:37 PM
samsonyuen

Aeropostale is also opening at Scarborough Town Centre, as their mall says. It's really really cheap. When's TO due for an A|X?

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
H&M isn't all it's cracked up to be.

When I want good quality cheap clothes, I go to Steve and Barry's.

www.steveandbarrys.com

Any buzz on the possibility of Canada getting some locations? As good as you all think H&M is, S&B stomps them.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
H&M isn't all it's cracked up to be.

When I want good quality cheap clothes, I go to Steve and Barry's.

www.steveandbarrys.com

Any buzz on the possibility of Canada getting some locations? As good as you all think H&M is, S&B stomps them.
Oh, probably 5 years from now... seems to be the timeline it takes to get any American franchise, hopefully sooner than later, I like S & B.

I hope to hell Bath & Body Works jumps the border soon... My wife drags me through those every time we're shopping in the States.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 2:50 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
I hope to hell Bath & Body Works jumps the border soon... My wife drags me through those every time we're shopping in the States.
Bath and Body Works is the welfare version of The Body Shop. They have a BBW in MOBILE ALABAMA for Christ's sake, but no Body Shop (when I lived in Mob I had to drive to Pensacola to get to a Body Shop). She's lucky we have so many Body Shops, not to mention Sephora and that fantastic Calgary invention, Quorra Apothecary. Friends from Toronto head straight there, to the 17th Ave one, on visits to Calgary.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Wow, what a terrible store imo, and people bought into the hype... it reminded me of the Stampede midway in there.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 9:31 PM

Vancouver Apple Store Confirmed

Finally....

After years of speculation on when and if a Vancouver (BC) Apple store would open, Sr. V-P Retail Ron Johnson told attendees of Thursday’s stockholders meeting that a store would be announced “soon.” In response to a question about a Vancouver store from the audience at the end of the meeting, Johnson replied, “Patience is a virtue, and your patience will be rewarded soon.” Early rumors placed an Apple store inside the multi-block Pacific Center shopping complex, but more recent tips put the store at the under-development Jameson House project on Hastings Street, just a block from the harbor

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:31 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
Finally....

After years of speculation on when and if a Vancouver (BC) Apple store would open, Sr. V-P Retail Ron Johnson told attendees of Thursday’s stockholders meeting that a store would be announced “soon.” In response to a question about a Vancouver store from the audience at the end of the meeting, Johnson replied, “Patience is a virtue, and your patience will be rewarded soon.” Early rumors placed an Apple store inside the multi-block Pacific Center shopping complex, but more recent tips put the store at the under-development Jameson House project on Hastings Street, just a block from the harbor
This "cofirms" absolutely nothing. We've had a store "confirmed" in Calgary for a year now. Don't hold your breath.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:43 AM
Inflatable Hippo

The Apple Store at Chinook is dead for the forseeable future, Cadillac Fairview sent Apple packing over some pretty unreasonable demands they were making.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:58 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
The Apple Store at Chinook is dead for the forseeable future, Cadillac Fairview sent Apple packing over some pretty unreasonable demands they were making.
FUCK. Who was making the demands, Apple or CF?

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 4:02 AM

It was Apple that was being unreasonable. Chinook has a long list of stores wanting in...they just moved down the list. The space Apple was anticipated to take over (Reitman's) has been leased to BEBE women's wear. Yay.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 4:15 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus15 View Post
Yay.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 5:00 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
To be honest, this retail thread is pretty depressing. All that is ever posted is another store you can find in any other city in the world, opening in a Canadian city.

I really don't understand the hype or praise that the retail in Canadian cities is each day becoming even more of a carbon copy of our American neighbours or even European cousins.

To be Forever 21 opening in Toronto is a sad day, not a happy one. Because now that means when I go to the USA, there will be maybe two stores in the malls instead of three, that actually are different and remind me I am in another country.

Thats my little rant.
Umm, there are plenty, and I mean PLENTY of small independent stores that exist in every city accross Canada. These stores compete very well against the larger corporate chains.

It's just that the chain stores get the press b/c of their notoriety.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 5:24 AM
BANNED

Honestly i don't see the point of an apple store... its not cheaper or anything and with no value added to the consumer. ( oooh look we have fancy tables ...)

You can buy your apple stuff just elsewhere and you'd be fine.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 6:51 AM
Inflatable Hippo

I don't understand mac users and their love for the Apple stores, the people who work there are some combination of the average mallrat type kids who work in every other store in the mall, and middle age equivilents of "Gil" from the Simpsons.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:49 PM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by malek View Post
Honestly i don't see the point of an apple store... its not cheaper or anything and with no value added to the consumer. ( oooh look we have fancy tables ...)

You can buy your apple stuff just elsewhere and you'd be fine.
only advantage i can see is that they have pretty much everything in stock, as opposed to many stores who carry only a limited number of items or variations and the rest will be ordered if you want them to.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 5:09 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Like it or not, having an Apple store is like having an Urban Outfitters or a Sephora or a Vespa dealership. It marks a cty as "cool." Calgary getting one was a claim to having arrived. It's that simple, like it or not.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 8:08 PM

They can actually questions with an answer different than "I don't know, I don't have a mac...." which seems to be the stock answer everywhere else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada