HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
That's why they like to call it climate change instead of warming. It leads to unpredictability and extreme weather, not good for anyone.
Bingo! And this is something we are already seeing more and more from around the world.

I personally think that we are already past the tipping point and we cannot prevent this change anymore. It is now all about trying to mitigate the impacts it will have on our civilization. Europe will see millions of climate refugees and we will see more extreme weather and droughts. Nobody will be better off in this global event.

Last edited by Klazu; Jun 30, 2015 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Doesn't canada actually benefit from global warming?
On the backs of the rest of the world in ruins?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:27 PM

Huge forest fires are happening right now at the Cascades in Washington State, destroying properties and 23 homes. I've heard severe fires down in California, but in Washington State at the onset of summer? Man, this is out of whack! This can easily happen anywhere in B.C. too, especially in the interior towns and cities.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:39 PM

Someone posted a BC drought map on the Canada section. I was surprised that Interior has lower fire hazard than Lower Mainland which is the worst drought are together with Vancouver Island right now.

I suppose in Interior they have been getting at least some rain despite the high temperatures.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
It is happening now. Anyone thinking otherwise is ridiculous.
“We’re not scientifically there yet. Despite what you may have heard in the media, there is nothing like a consensus of scientific opinion that this is a problem. Because there is natural variability in the weather, you cannot statistically know for another 150 years.”
— UN IPCC’s Tom Tripp, a member of the UN IPCC [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] since 2004 and listed as one of the lead authors and serves as the Director of Technical Services & Development for U.S. Magnesium.

“Please remain calm: The Earth will heal itself — Climate is beyond our power to control…Earth doesn’t care about governments or their legislation. You can’t find much actual global warming in present-day weather observations. Climate change is a matter of geologic time, something that the earth routinely does on its own without asking anyone’s permission or explaining itself.
— Nobel Prize-Winning Stanford University Physicist Dr. Robert B. Laughlin, who won the Nobel Prize for physics in 1998, and was formerly a research scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

“The dysfunctional nature of the climate sciences is nothing short of a scandal. Science is too important for our society to be misused in the way it has been done within the Climate Science Community.” The global warming establishment “has actively suppressed research results presented by researchers that do not comply with the dogma of the [UN] IPCC.”
— Swedish Climatologist Dr. Hans Jelbring of the Paleogeophysics & Geodynamics Unit at Stockholm University.

“The whole idea of anthropogenic global warming is completely unfounded. There appears to have been money gained by Michael Mann, Al Gore and UN IPCC’s Rajendra Pachauri as a consequence of this deception, so it’s fraud.”
— South African astrophysicist Hilton Ratcliffe, a member of the Astronomical Society of Southern Africa (ASSA) and the Astronomical Society of the Pacific and a Fellow of the British Institute of Physics.

“In December 8 2009, 166 scientists from around the world wrote an Open Letter to the UN Secretary-General rebuking the UN and declaring that ‘the science is NOT settled.’”

“On May 1, 2009, the American Physical Society (APS) Council decided to review its current climate statement via a high-level subcommittee of respected senior scientists. The decision was prompted after a group of over 80 prominent physicists petitioned the APS [to] revise its global warming position and more than 250 scientists urged a change in the group’s climate statement in 2010. The physicists wrote to APS governing board: ‘Measured or reconstructed temperature records indicate that 20th – 21st century changes are neither exceptional nor persistent, and the historical and geological records show many periods warmer than today.’”

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
“We’re not scientifically there yet. ..."
Taking, sometimes, out-of-context quotes or quotes that have been changed from their original source by a third party and so on is not how one does science. Heck even quoting someone truthfully is not how a discussion concerning science occurs. I could quote mine many people and make it seem like they are saying that which they are not. I could quote specific thinkers that think a certain way and make the claim that what they say is absolute truth while those that disagree are being paid for their statements or have some alterior motive. Science is not done through selective quotes of others. Science is shared and debated in the scientific literature by people that have a greater understanding on what they are talking about than the common internet user.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 6:17 AM

Quote:
“We’re not scientifically there yet . . Climate change is a matter of geologic time, something that the earth routinely does on its own without asking anyone’s permission or explaining itself.
— Nobel Prize-Winning Stanford University Physicist Dr. Robert B. Laughlin, who won the Nobel Prize for physics in 1998, and was formerly a research scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

“The dysfunctional nature of the climate sciences is nothing short of a scandal..... (even Sweden!!)
— Swedish Climatologist Dr. Hans Jelbring of the Paleogeophysics & Geodynamics Unit at Stockholm University.

“The whole idea of anthropogenic global warming is completely unfounded. ........ as a consequence of this deception, so it’s fraud.”
— South African astrophysicist Hilton Ratcliffe, a member of the Astronomical Society of Southern Africa (ASSA) and the Astronomical Society of the Pacific and a Fellow of the British Institute of Physics.

“In December 8 2009, 166 scientists from around the world wrote back, rebuking the UN and declaring that ‘the science is NOT settled.’”(sic)

“On May 1, 2009, the American Physical Society (APS) .......... – 21st century changes are neither exceptional nor persistent, and the historical and geological records show many periods warmer than today.’”
That hypocrisy just blows your mind. Cool quote list! The BS and lies speak for themselves. And certain researchers say that we are already past the point of no return.
The extreme weather events, bizarre jet stream patterns, broiling hot, sometimes crazy cold, tornadoes, hurricanes, in greater power and frequency, all speak for themselves.
And they aren't going to slow down any, either.

I wouldn't mind taking a case like this to The Hague, the above-listed individuals and organisations on charges of fraud, misleading the public, falsified resarch, you name it. The defendants.

As we now meet in one of the great courts of the world .... who takes on the role of prosecution? (that's more or less us in this case,folks).

Who will be "our" attorneys? Which groups or individuals could possibly
represent the case for charges of fraud, misleading information, lack of, or incorrect research.

This or something like it is truly vital, so where do we start the kick-off?
Who would represent the prosecution,
Any ideas or feedback appreciated.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 2:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
“We’re not scientifically there yet. Despite what you may have heard in the media, there is nothing like a consensus of scientific opinion that this is a problem. Because there is natural variability in the weather, you cannot statistically know for another 150 years.”
— UN IPCC’s Tom Tripp, a member of the UN IPCC [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] since 2004 and listed as one of the lead authors and serves as the Director of Technical Services & Development for U.S. Magnesium.

“Please remain calm: The Earth will heal itself — Climate is beyond our power to control…Earth doesn’t care about governments or their legislation. You can’t find much actual global warming in present-day weather observations. Climate change is a matter of geologic time, something that the earth routinely does on its own without asking anyone’s permission or explaining itself.

“The dysfunctional nature of the climate sciences is nothing short of a scandal. Science is too important for our society to be misused in the way it has been done within the Climate Science Community.” The global warming establishment “has actively suppressed research results presented by researchers that do not comply with the dogma of the [UN] IPCC.”

“The whole idea of anthropogenic global warming is completely unfounded. There appears to have been money gained by Michael Mann, Al Gore and UN IPCC’s Rajendra Pachauri as a consequence of this deception, so it’s fraud.”

“In December 8 2009, 166 scientists from around the world wrote an Open Letter to the UN Secretary-General rebuking the UN and declaring that ‘the science is NOT settled.’”

“On May 1, 2009, the American Physical Society (APS) Council decided to review its current climate statement via a high-level subcommittee of respected senior scientists. The decision was prompted after a group of over 80 prominent physicists petitioned the APS [to] revise its global warming position and more than 250 scientists urged a change in the group’s climate statement in 2010. The physicists wrote to APS governing board: ‘Measured or reconstructed temperature records indicate that 20th – 21st century changes are neither exceptional nor persistent, and the historical and geological records show many periods warmer than today.’”
Have you ever heard of man-made "nuclear winter"??????

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 3:15 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

I wouldn't mind taking a case like this to The Hague, the above-listed individuals and organisations on charges of fraud, misleading the public, falsified resarch, you name it. The defendants.

As we now meet in one of the great courts of the world .... who takes on the role of prosecution? (that's more or less us in this case, folks).

Who will be "our" attorneys? Which groups or individuals could possibly
represent the case for charges of fraud, misleading information, lack of, or incorrect research.

This or something like it is truly vital, so where do we start the kick-off? Who would represent the prosecution?

Any ideas or feedback appreciated.
My feedback: your proposal is disgusting and asinine.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
My feedback: your proposal is disgusting and asinine.
I guess I did write it a bit too quickly, and it shows a great ignorance on my part. Sorry about that

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 8:53 PM

Wednesday night, Paris time, towards 11 pm.
Official temperature at 10 pm: 32°C / 90°F
Humidity 35%
Winds west at 16 kph

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Someone posted a BC drought map on the Canada section. I was surprised that Interior has lower fire hazard than Lower Mainland which is the worst drought are together with Vancouver Island right now.

I suppose in Interior they have been getting at least some rain despite the high temperatures.
I have long studied climate and weather in BC, time for some information.

While June, July, August, and September are the driest months of the year along the south coast of BC, June is actually the wettest month of the year for most of the southern interior.

This is because of convection cell storms. June is warm (and sometimes hot, such as this year) in the BC interior, but it is not as stable as July and August, therefore there is a lot more convection activity.

Kamloops this June actually may have had the most rain of anywhere in the province (82.5mm, much higher than their average 37.4) thanks to 3 weak disturbances that all spawned major thunderstorms. West of Kamloops has remained much drier (Ashcroft recorded 24.2mm, Lytton 12.9), and south of Vernon the Okanagan has had almost spot on average rainfall (30 to 40mm). The heart of the interior forest fire season does not start until mid July or August. That being said, the interior is a dry location even during the wettest of times, therefore forest fires in June are not uncommon, some forest fire seasons start early, some start late.

For contrast Victoria has only had 6.6mm of rain since May 1st!

Now, I am not here to debate climate change (climate change is happening, and much of it is man made, but not every single weather event is due to climate change, and even with all the man made aspects, there is still some natural elements at play. Hence I am against extreme measures being proposed by some, such as purposely dimming the atmosphere with suspended particles to reflect sunlight in an attempt to mitigate C02, such practices will likely just fuck things up even more).

As for forest fires, they are very very very natural in BC. Climate change is not causing more forest fires! I based my thesis at SFU on the damage forest fire supression has done to the BC ecosystem. On an average year only 10% of the pre-fire supression historical norm of land area burns in BC. Even the great 2003 Okanagan Mountain year only saw 50% of the historical average burn...

Before fire supression any given spot in the bunchgrass zone of the Okanagan / Thompson would burn every 5 to 10 years. The lower Ponderosa Pine and Douglas Fir forests every 10 to 20 years. The vast majority of these areas have not burned now for 80 or 90 years! The forests are becoming crowded with sick trees and countless saplings. This has chocked the once open parkland nature of those forests. It has also lead to "forest creep" where we are actually losing our grasslands to forests. The next time you are in the interior just look at the ratio of young saplings to mature trees, there are way, way, way too many saplings! (This crowded mono population of trees was the key reason to the pine beettle problem, not warmer winters, since the pine beettle itself lives in much warmer climates all the way to Mexico, yet the epidemic started in its coldest location where forest fires are much easier to control...).

Think of it this way, the Okanagan Mountain is a mix of Ponderosa Pine and Douglas Fir parkland forests, which should burn once every 10 to 20 years. The fire in 2003 was the best thing to happen there and now that mountain is more healthy than it was before. That fire was super intense (because so much fuel built up for so many decades) but now it has been equalized. That was in 2003, therefore on average without fire supression that same mountain should burn again before 2023... (of course this time, such a fire would be a more traditional surface fire burning out saplings and dead branches) creating a healthy environment for the more mature trees.

Sadly the media always likes to pain forest fires as evil and some crazy event only happening because of climate change, when in reality that is the most lazy sensationalist reporting possible.

ahhh, done, I hope some of you actually read all that, and please feel free to ask me any questions you have on BC biogeoclimate zones and the cylce of fire in the interior.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 3:46 AM

Great and informative comment, thanks.

Quite a flash flood in Kamloops last night. Are those how common in Interior?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 8:40 PM

Cold night in Vancouver last night. They were still plowing some snow in Gastown this morning.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 10:59 PM

With all the drought in past four months, I wanted to see the water levels in Vancouver's reservoirs for myself. There is no public access to Coquitlamn Lake (as far as I know), but I visited both Seymour Lake and Capilano Lakes yesterday and this is how they look like four months into the drought.

Things are actually not looking bad at Seymour Lake. I was surprised to see the water levels being down by maybe only a meter.

They seem to be some summer maintenance at the dam.

There were fire fighting choppers whirring over the lake. Not sure which nearby fire they were attending to.

It's a completely different story at Capilano Lake. There the water level is down my over 10 meters. As a result a lot of new shoreline has emerged. They should use the opportunity to remove some of those logs.

There is almost no water facing the Cleveland Dam!

Strange to think that the other side of this dam wall is currently empty.

The lake surface is low that there is absolutely no water passing through the dam eventhough it is wide open. Never seen it like this.

Canyon below is just ponds.

No more waterslide.

This is how it normally looks like.

Video Link

So yeah, it looks pretty bad and water levels are currently at around 53-54%. The rain this weekend will help to regain some of lostwater, but unless we will see a normal rainy winter, next summer might be even more challenging and water restrictions will kick in even sooner. Sad sight.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 12:21 AM

Wow, those shots of a dried-up Cleveland Dam are freaky!!!!
The forecast says you're in for a couple of rain days next week, although that's cold comfort, I admit.
Apparently the "blob" part of the El Niño in the North Pacific is responsible for the drought, and this North Pacific Niño development is a first-time phenomenon.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Scary stuff.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 6:24 AM

Reading about all the storm destruction today I am amazed. I think the wind was blowing from the other side of the building and we didn't notice almost anything in our apartment. It looked a bit windy outside, but nothing like what was shown on television.

Highway 1 was looking quite interesting with full of branches and leaves, and the huge flag in Surrey torn apart. SkyTrain car was also hit by a falling tree. Wow.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 6:53 AM

Interesting piece of news regarding the main road to Cultus Lake having been closed today due to downed power lines. The only detour was through some band land, where they had set up a gate and were charging people $20 to pass through. Like what the heck??!?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 9:55 AM

it's their land, someone saw an opportunity

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
it's their land, someone saw an opportunity
I can only hope you're being sarcastic. If, IF, the story is true, then it shows a group of people to be the equivalent of ghouls, feasting on the misfortune of others. Who do they think they are, lawyers or politicians?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion