HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Just curious, how did the CHA originally acquire their land? Didn't they also have to buy it from numerous smaller property owners?
Like LVDW already said, it was all eminent domain. Same was done for UIC, IMD, IIT... maybe even McCormick? Im not sure.

Now if only the public could reclaim it. Cabrini is begging for it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 4:30 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
Bronzeville has architecture thats as beautiful as Park Slope
Only isolated buildings. It doesn't have contiguous urban fabric, which is really what people appreciate about living in Park Slope even if they live in a cheap cinder-block building.

Quote:
Pilsen has a unique character for Chicago
Pilsen DOES have that contiguous development, so I expect it will eventually go the way of Park Slope. However, it has a series of politically powerful and tenacious groups that are fighting gentrification, and they will delay the process despite their eventual defeat.

I'm not sure this is something to celebrate, either. The density of Pilsen enables one of the city's most vibrant street life, with hundreds of independent businesses. That vibrancy, plus the contiguous urban fabric and good architecture, is what attracts wealthier people to Pilsen, but wealthier people aren't living with 5 people in a 2-bedroom apartment and so they will decrease the density and eventually kill the street life.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
What happens when Cabrini fills in and River North is built out? That is when I think we will see massive growth in the neighborhoods and it is probably 20 years if not more out.
There is still the South Loop to develop... Riverside, Harold Ickes, and South Loop Gateway could probably absorb 20 years of growth by themselves.

Then once you cross the Stevenson you have Prairie Shores/Lake Meadows/Reese sitting on 200 lakefront acres within three miles of State/Madison.

As you mentioned earlier, Chicago has a ton of land. Its capacity is as close to infinite as you can find.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 5:13 AM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
That vibrancy, plus the contiguous urban fabric and good architecture, is what attracts wealthier people to Pilsen, but wealthier people aren't living with 5 people in a 2-bedroom apartment and so they will decrease the density and eventually kill the street life.
Is that necessarily the case though? I think the Lincoln Park today is more vibrant than the Lincoln Park in 2000 despite having less people. Without a doubt the street life on residential streets will die unfortunately. 18th street was never as vibrant as its much livelier cousin on 26th street, at least as far back as the 90's.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 11:09 AM
TL;DR

Lincoln Park only has busy street life because people go there from other neighborhoods to patronize the shops, restaurants, and bars.

It's true, though - wealthier people have more money to spend and so they consume more stuff per capita, which can create a higher level of commercial activity overall in wealthy neighborhoods despite the decline in density. I don't know if anyone's ever studied this problem closely enough to put numbers on it. There are a lot of factors.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 1:26 PM
The City

Quote:
I'm not sure this is something to celebrate, either. The density of Pilsen enables one of the city's most vibrant street life, with hundreds of independent businesses. That vibrancy, plus the contiguous urban fabric and good architecture, is what attracts wealthier people to Pilsen, but wealthier people aren't living with 5 people in a 2-bedroom apartment and so they will decrease the density and eventually kill the street life.
^ Right now Pilsen has a good number of vacant buildings, though.

Gentrification can only increase density in Pilsen. And from my observation, a pretty good amount of investment is going into the area.

The questions is whether Pilsen will take the "next step" toward gentrification which leads to lower densities.

Here is my rather quickly and un-scientifically scrapped together list of the step by step process of gentrification:

Phase I: empty buildings get renovated: density goes up
Phase II: rents go up and so groups of people pile into each apartment: density goes up
Phase III: condo conversion and demo/replace with SFH & townhomes: density goes down
Phase IV: after Phase III is fully completed, overwhelmingly high land prices and demand lead eventually to some new development: density goes up

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 3:57 PM

I do see Pilsen/Bridgeport and Bronzeville as two of the next major neighborhoods to see gentrification. Its already underway.

I have to agree that Bronzeville has beautiful architecture. The homes along MLK are some of the most unique you can find anywhere in this country as far as Im concerned. Many yuppies and buppies have already been buying these and fixing them up along King Dr and are starting to in the periphery streets as well. Itll take a while, but a healthy safe and liveable connection between Kenwood and the South Loop/McCormick area will eventually happen. Especially if Prairie Shores and Lake Meadows gets renovated and re-constructed as they plan to.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 4:39 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Here is my rather quickly and un-scientifically scrapped together list of the step by step process of gentrification:

Phase II: rents go up and so groups of people pile into each apartment: density goes up
Phase III: condo conversion and demo/replace with SFH & townhomes: density goes down
Phase IV: after Phase III is fully completed, overwhelmingly high land prices and demand lead eventually to some new development: density goes up
Between Phase II/III is another phase:

Phase IIb: Wealthier "pioneers" with higher incomes move into apartments, can afford to live in 1-2 person households: density goes down

Condo conversion and deconversion (Phase III) don't happen until gentrification has already taken its toll. Phase IV may never happen if the neighborhood sets up the right kind of barriers (downzoning, historic districts, etc).

I'm not saying this is bad, necessarily: every city needs quiet, residential areas. It just sucks if that quiet residential area takes the place of a mucho activo Hispanic district. Pilsen, right now, is the kind of place that makes me like cities.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:36 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
There will be a reduction of density, at least at first, but street life will not necessarily decline. First, part of Pilsen's density is children. Children don't add much to street life, even in Pilsen. Parents go out less (in general). And gentrifiers tend to have more money. There will be some instability as it transitions, laundromats will be lost, grocery stores will changes, restaurants will change, dollar stores will disappear. But with the influx of new money, empty lots will get built on eventually. Run-down places will be replaced with larger building. A single family home with 8 people might get replaced with a 4-flat with 8 people, for example. With any luck, the City gets savvy about TOD before this happens, so denser buildings will get built to offset the reduction in density in existing buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
There is still the South Loop to develop... Riverside, Harold Ickes, and South Loop Gateway could probably absorb 20 years of growth by themselves.

Then once you cross the Stevenson you have Prairie Shores/Lake Meadows/Reese sitting on 200 lakefront acres within three miles of State/Madison.

As you mentioned earlier, Chicago has a ton of land. Its capacity is as close to infinite as you can find.
Chicago could add 2 million people and still only be slightly more dense than Queens overall. It would have to add nearly 5 million people to achieve an overall density comparable to Brooklyn. And there's plenty of land to do that, though not really the zoning currently (nor the demographic trends).

Quote:
^ Right now Pilsen has a good number of vacant buildings, though.

Gentrification can only increase density in Pilsen. And from my observation, a pretty good amount of investment is going into the area.

The questions is whether Pilsen will take the "next step" toward gentrification which leads to lower densities.

Phase 2 doesn't really happen that way. When rents go up, it's because it's popular. That draws people who can afford to spend more. People who can't afford to stay are more likely to move than to add roommates, since they probably already live as densely as they feel tolerant to - your version would only really happen in geographically constrained areas with no comparable locations in close proximity. That doesn't describe Pilsen. And Phase 1 is often accompanied by landlords forcing out tenants to do renovations that immediately reduce the numbers in the buildings because they can make more, with less risk and less cost, renting to wealthier new residents.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Chicago could add 2 million people and still only be slightly more dense than Queens overall. It would have to add nearly 5 million people to achieve an overall density comparable to Brooklyn. And there's plenty of land to do that, though not really the zoning currently (nor the demographic trends).
That would be cool, but Brooklyn is only about 70 square miles vs. Chicago's 230 square miles. Not even NYC ex-Staten Island has that level of density. The combined area and density of Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx and Queens is 245 square miles with a density of ~32k ppsm. Leaving out Manhattan (so just Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx) covers 222 square miles with a density of ~28k ppsm.

Inner London, for comparison, covers 123 square miles with a density of ~24k ppsm (population of roughly 3 million). Greater London covers 607 square miles with a density of just under ~13k ppsm (close to Chicago's ~12k ppsm, but more than twice the area).

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
There will be a reduction of density, at least at first, but street life will not necessarily decline. First, part of Pilsen's density is children. Children don't add much to street life, even in Pilsen. Parents go out less (in general). And gentrifiers tend to have more money. There will be some instability as it transitions, laundromats will be lost, grocery stores will changes, restaurants will change, dollar stores will disappear. But with the influx of new money, empty lots will get built on eventually. Run-down places will be replaced with larger building. A single family home with 8 people might get replaced with a 4-flat with 8 people, for example. With any luck, the City gets savvy about TOD before this happens, so denser buildings will get built to offset the reduction in density in existing buildings.

Phase 2 doesn't really happen that way. When rents go up, it's because it's popular. That draws people who can afford to spend more. People who can't afford to stay are more likely to move than to add roommates, since they probably already live as densely as they feel tolerant to - your version would only really happen in geographically constrained areas with no comparable locations in close proximity. That doesn't describe Pilsen. And Phase 1 is often accompanied by landlords forcing out tenants to do renovations that immediately reduce the numbers in the buildings because they can make more, with less risk and less cost, renting to wealthier new residents.
Regarding Phase 1/Phase 2. Not necessarily how it would happen imo. The population will increase if desirability increases faster than wealth, even if wealth is still increasing. I don't know what the specific situation is in Pilsen, but I'm sure there are plenty of low income neighbourhoods in the US where people have more living space per person than in wealthier areas, so in those cases, people would tolerate living more densely. Pilsen's population density doesn't seem to suggest people are living especially densely though, the density is similar to Toronto's inner neighbourhoods, and the built density doesn't seem lower, even though a 2-3 storey home on a 20x100ft lot would cost around $1million.

I agree that built density could increase too. There's parking lots and vacant lots, as well as many 1-2 storey houses that could be redeveloped into 3-4 storey houses, which shouldn't cause NIMBY problems since there are already many of those too.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 11:58 PM
The City

^ The single best thing that would increase Chicago's density is the construction of single family homes throughout the city's vacant (or former industrial) areas. And, of course, occupation of any vacant properties.

To me, lets keep it simple. This change alone could possible add half a million or more people to the city's population.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
^ The single best thing that would increase Chicago's density is the construction of single family homes throughout the city's vacant (or former industrial) areas. And, of course, occupation of any vacant properties.

To me, lets keep it simple. This change alone could possible add half a million or more people to the city's population.
Amen to this.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 1:54 AM

Off topic for the thread, but I found a similar mid-century vs today numbers for New York City.

http://www.urbanresearch.org/project...k-1940s-to-now

Nice visualization map, too.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 3:52 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

I've always thought that Chicago could do a few things to help increase density.

1. Impose significantly higher taxes on vacant lots, cook county would have to do this. The idea behind this is that it will bring in revenue and those who can't afford the higher taxes will sell the land or the city will acquire the land through a lien.
2. Develop a program to give away or sell vacant lots and properties for little or nothing. Require purchasers of these subsidized lots to submit redevelopment plans completion time-frames and proof of financing. Give takes breaks during the time-frame for redevelopment completion. Develop a website to help advertise this program which would basically be a major expansion of the trouble buildings program.
3. Give infill tax breaks and vacant building renovation tax breaks.
4. Adopt the international building code.
5. Up-zone areas near major roads and transit

IDK what the legalities are but the purpose is to turn vacant buildings and lots into productive tax generating lots.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 5:35 PM
Borneo Expat

No. 37 Fuller Park lost 83.3% of its population since 1950!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
I've always thought that Chicago could do a few things to help increase density.

1. Impose significantly higher taxes on vacant lots, cook county would have to do this. The idea behind this is that it will bring in revenue and those who can't afford the higher taxes will sell the land or the city will acquire the land through a lien.
2. Develop a program to give away or sell vacant lots and properties for little or nothing. Require purchasers of these subsidized lots to submit redevelopment plans completion time-frames and proof of financing. Give takes breaks during the time-frame for redevelopment completion. Develop a website to help advertise this program which would basically be a major expansion of the trouble buildings program.
3. Give infill tax breaks and vacant building renovation tax breaks.
4. Adopt the international building code.
5. Up-zone areas near major roads and transit

IDK what the legalities are but the purpose is to turn vacant buildings and lots into productive tax generating lots.
At what point does Chicago's central area have enough critical mass that the city can just ban new parking garages?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacarlson View Post
No. 37 Fuller Park lost 83.3% of its population since 1950!
I believe that is where the Robert Taylor Homes was. They are gone, 10s of 1,000s of people with them.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 6:20 PM

Also when the Dan Ryan went through in the 1960s literally half of Fuller Park was torn out to make way for it.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 12:41 PM
The City

Looks like Cook County and (likely Chicago) are losing population again.

Yay, it's fun to lose people when everybody else is gaining.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest