HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 4:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

LFP: Beer, not wine, on Ontario grocery store shelves

via Imgflip Meme Maker

If you click on the LFP link, shield your eyes from the usual stupidity of the comments section

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 4:52 PM

Kathleen Wynne has confirmed it on her Facebook page.

A huge flood of details about the booze reform made it out today.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/na...385/story.html

Summary:
1) LCBO will now have online shopping, both for in-store pickup and home delivery--especially good for buying speciality products that are only sold at a handful of stores
2) Beer Store will be obligated to change its stores to an actual store where you pick things up yourself and take them to the cash instead of the weird request from clerk system.
3) Beer Store will be obligated to have 20% of shelf space set aside for independent/craft brewers.
4) Craft brewers will now be allowed to sell their product at all of their locations without restriction (currently if a brewer has more than one branch, they have to sell their product only at one of them in most cases)
5) Beer in supermarkets. 450 supermarkets will be sold licenses to sell beer, but they can only sell singles and 6-packs. They also have to have separate beer areas (like how the Wine Racks in the Loblaws stores are separate).
6) Bars & restaurants that sell less than 6,000 beers per year will be able to purchase beer at wholesale prices (previously, all bars/restaurants had to pay retail prices)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
6) Bars & restaurants that sell less than 6,000 beers per year will be able to purchase beer at wholesale prices (previously, all bars/restaurants had to pay retail prices)
Thats 16.6 per day... What restaurant/bar sells so little? All bars and restaurants should be able to purchase alcohol at wholesale prices and sell it back to us at a price that is not dictated by the AGCO. For that matter all alcohol prices should be de-regulated and sold according to the market; I am really opposed to the minimum price regulated by the AGCO that states no alcohol can be sold for less than X price.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
Thats 16.6 per day... What restaurant/bar sells so little? All bars and restaurants should be able to purchase alcohol at wholesale prices and sell it back to us at a price that is not dictated by the AGCO. For that matter all alcohol prices should be de-regulated and sold according to the market; I am really opposed to the minimum price regulated by the AGCO that states no alcohol can be sold for less than X price.
6000 does sound absurdly low, but apparently there are 9,000 licensees in the province that sell less than 6,000 beers per year according to The Star. I think the idea is to help out these smaller establishments who have a harder time making profit margins work. It should, in theory, lead to more small-scale restaurants (think little holes in the wall type places) being able to sell beer if they want to.

Retail prices are regulated (and will remain so--the LCBO, The Beer Store, and all supermarket stores will sell beer at the same price), but I don't think restaurant sale prices to customers are. I mean, many bars offer drink deals--happy hour specials, 20% off beer Wednesdays, etc.--and I don't see how they could do that if their sale price to patrons was regulated as well.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 8:34 PM

Quote:
6000 does sound absurdly low, but apparently there are 9,000 licensees in the province that sell less than 6,000 beers per year according to The Star. I think the idea is to help out these smaller establishments who have a harder time making profit margins work. It should, in theory, lead to more small-scale restaurants (think little holes in the wall type places) being able to sell beer if they want to.

Retail prices are regulated (and will remain so--the LCBO, The Beer Store, and all supermarket stores will sell beer at the same price), but I don't think restaurant sale prices to customers are. I mean, many bars offer drink deals--happy hour specials, 20% off beer Wednesdays, etc.--and I don't see how they could do that if their sale price to patrons was regulated as well.
I'm guessing these are the restaurants that offer beer on the menu, but rarely ever sell any. One that comes to mind is Golden Rooster Deli in Downtown Kingston; they are open only for breakfast and lunch, but they do offer bottled beer. In over two years going to that deli, I have not once seen someone there drinking a beer.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 9:16 PM
I am a typical

The Chinese restaurant across from me is licensed but I haven't seen anyone drink a beer in there in years. I got a can of pop from them once that was expired, even. They get, like, 12 customers a day.

Thunder Bay is in a strange situation with the allowance of beer in grocery stores: all of our major grocery stores are within a kilometre of a beer store or LCBO anyway, and quite a few have one located beside them. Our newest LCBO is roughly the same size as the Metro that it was built in front of.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Actually, both retail and restaurant sale prices are regulated. My sister used to work for the AGCO enforcement team and they have a book that states how much booze costs and they even measured pints to make sure they were 16oz, shots to make sure they were 1.5oz... etc. So usually 'cheap nights' are reduced sizes, or the mark down is from a heightened price to the minimum price.

http://www.agco.on.ca/pdfs/en/info_bull/i9014.pdf

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 4:16 PM

^ At least those regulations allow for some flexibility for restaurants.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 7:31 PM

Quote:
^ At least those regulations allow for some flexibility for restaurants.
Yes, it does. However, I would prefer that the only regulations were on serving size and not prices. Prices on something like booze should be market driven not government mandated. Even if they were deregulated the prices would probably stay the same. I mean, if a place wants to sell 50 cent shooters its their pocket book that pays the price.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:42 AM

Restaurant prices of alcohol should be deregulated. Regulating the wholesale and retail prices of alcohol basically regulates restaurant prices anyway.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 11:29 AM

Vendor pricing??

I seem to recall that in some circles there is a bulk discount instead of gouging?
There should be one price at least!
Why does a vendor get penalized for being in a customer service business?
I understand that maybe if the tavern wanted delivery there be a cost, but maybe it should be considered a perk to good customers and be included free. To encourage patronage?
Also to offer a discount or cheaper price to real small establishments, It is listed here at less than 17 bottles per day. I know housed that consumer more than this (on week-ends) or entertaining.
If you want to draw people out of their backyards and rec rooms you have to be reasonable.
It's like pop, you can get a 24 pack for about $7.00 at Shoppers Drug Mart or $6 at Walmart, yet it is more at the wholesalers. Why! Maybe because they get a buld discount?
The exact opposite at the beer store or crooked Brews Retail.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 1:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Gov't: just apply your usual levies, and stay away from price controls. "Responsible pricing" (ostensibly to "manage demand"), my ass.

FUCK the Beer Store.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Gov't: just apply your usual levies, and stay away from price controls. "Responsible pricing" (ostensibly to "manage demand"), my ass.

FUCK the Beer Store.
I'd believe the "responsible pricing" garbage if a church or MADD were selling alcohol directly to consumers. But this is a for-profit entity.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 1:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The nanny state strikes again. Booze warnings urged for grocers selling beer

Meanwhile the OLG's extremely asinine commercials continue unabated (idiots rambling about what they would do if they won the lottery, etc.: "Sail south until the butter melts"...I am not fucking interested in what these blithering idiots would do with their millions).

Nary a mention of the social ills caused by gambling. I see the people constantly scratch-&-losing out in the poorer parts of town. They blow hundreds of dollars per year on these. "Happiness is playing Bingo!" Really?

Quote:
Pay $2 and your odds of becoming a millionaire are approximately 1 in 14 million.

Your odds are even worse for winning Lotto Max. For $5, you buying a one in 28,633,528 chance at winning at least $15 million.

Those odds are so long that you are more likely to:
■Be killed in a terrorist attack while travelling (1 in 650,000).
■Die — during an average lifetime — of flesh-eating disease (1 in one million).
■Be killed by lightning (1 in 56,439).

You are three times more likely to be killed in a traffic accident driving 16 kilometres to buy your ticket than winning the jackpot.

In 2002, you were about 10 times more likely to die after being bitten by a poisonous snake or lizard than to win a Lotto 6/49 jackpot. Odds for the snakebite death are one in 1,241,661, according to the U.S. National Safety Council.

Want to increase your chances? Buy 50 tickets a week. You are very likely to win the jackpot at least once — in 5,000 years.

Say you're standing on a football field. You're blindfolded and holding a pin. A friend has released an ant on the field. Your chance of piercing that ant with your pin is about the same as winning a Lotto 6/49 jackpot. One in 14 million. Not exactly a sure bet.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/lotteries-wha...-odds-1.775281

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 6:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

13 grocers among first chosen to sell beer across Ontario
Beer could go on sale at up to 60 grocery locations by December

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...osen-1.3324330

The Ontario government has chosen the 13 retailers that will be the first grocery stores to sell beer in the province, a move that could happen as early as next month.

The retailers, a mix of large and independent grocers, were chosen via a "competitive bidding process," and must now apply to the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario for authorization for individual stores.

Once that application process is complete, beer could go on sale at up to 60 locations by December, the Finance Department said Wednesday in a news release.

The retailers are:

Coppa's Fresh Market
Farm Boy 2012 Inc.
Galleria Supermarket
Hanahreuem Mart Inc.
J & B La Mantia Ltd. (La Mantia's Country Market)
Loblaws Inc.
Longo Brothers Fruit Market Inc.
Metro Ontario Inc.
Michael-Angelos Market Place Inc.
Pino's Get Fresh
Sobeys Capital Incorporated
Starsky Fine Foods Hamilton Inc.
Wal-Mart Canada Corp.

Outside of the five big chain stores — Loblaws, Longos, Sobeys, Wal-Mart and Metro — Farm Boy is a medium-sized chain with 19 locations across the province, mostly around Ottawa and Eastern Ontario, while the rest of the grocers have three locations or fewer.

Coppa's has three locations in North York, Scarborough and Vaughan; Starsky has two in Mississauga and one in Hamilton; Hanahreuem Mart has three locations in Richmond Hill, North York and north Toronto; Galleria has two locations in Thornhill and York Mills; Michael-Angelos has two in Markham and Mississauga; La Mantia has one in Lindsay; and Pino's has one in Sault Ste. Marie.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 7:01 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Surprising to see Wal-Mart on that list. They don't sell beer or wine in Quebec where other grocers are able to do so.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 2:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

What is with the foot dragging? Just roll it out across all eligible retailers. I don't get why the government has to pick and choose.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 11:52 PM

I'm with you all the way Molson Ex. I've always found much of Southern Ontario to be weird when it comes to the way alcohol policies are handled. Here in Northern Ontario, I find that attitudes have always been different and somewhat more like in Quebec. Maybe the francophone influence here has something to do with it and the resources industry (mining, forestry) and hunting and fishing cultures.

I read that you grew up in Quebec so I can understand how you feel.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 3:07 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Yep, I am a born and bred Montrealer.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 10:10 PM

The Loblaws at Princess & Sir John A in Kingston will start selling beer on December 15th. Confirmed by a friend who works there.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario