HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:35 PM

They should make Lakeview residents take the long way around to access all the stores and services this area will provide, just to spite this group lol.

In all honesty though, I think some of her concerns are valid as this will burden 37St quite a bit. Are there planned upgrades to 37St as part of this?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:05 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyoby View Post
Are you kidding?
Nope.
I love it (just a difference of opinion from yours).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Will it? The developments in that area will be primarily serviced by 3 high-capacity interchanges that were designed with these developments in mind. 37th street access to the community will probably be used by whoever lives in the new developments, and by Lakeview residents, but I'm not sure I see a genuine burden on the road. While there will be some changes and almost certainly some increase in usage, I feel like the concern is overblown. I could be wrong.

No upgrades to 37th street in Lakeview planned to my knowledge, but having spoken with the City in the past, they are always willing to look at how things change and see if there are improvements that are required once access is up and running (traffic calming?)
Sorry, I haven't read the previous pages (and don't really have time to right now) so maybe I'm missing something. Is access to the area in question solely off 37th as the concerned party suggests? if so, even with interchanges designed to handle the volume, 37st is still just a 2 lane road with houses on the east side, so it seems to me that it will very likely become clogged with traffic.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Access to the development area is primarily off of 3 interchanges: at Westhills Way/Glenmore, at Tsuut'ina Trail/Tsuut'ina Parkway, and at Tsuut'ina Parkway/37th Street/Glenmore.

If you were to access the developments at Tsuutina Parkway/37th Street/Glenmore, then you wouldn't even go into Lakeview at all.
Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Quote:
There are a further four smaller 2-lane roads off of 37th street SW that are shown to be connecting into the developments from Lakeview; the level of the usage of these minor roads is debatable.
These will be where people go if the others are bottlenecked. At the very least a traffic impact assessment should be done to see what impact there will be. If the studies show the effect will be negligible, then that should be enough the shut up the concerned parties (or ignore them if they get like the assclowns in Ready to Engage lol).

Last edited by Calgarian; Jan 29, 2018 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

These will be where people go if the others are bottlenecked. At the very least a traffic impact assessment should be done to see what impact there will be. If the studies show the effect will be negligible, then that should be enough the shut up the concerned parties (or ignore them if they get like the assclowns in Ready to Engage lol).
They would have done all that a long time ago. This is all from Alberta Transportation's website for Schedule 18 (aka the plans for the road): http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/6001.htm

Road lanes for 37th south of Glenmore:

It's basically 3 lanes in each direction to access the development from Glenmore. Seems reasonable. Lakeview residents won't have traffic randomly spilling onto their community roads.

Here's everything you could possibly want to know about how they analysed the traffic patterns: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ule18-AppJ.pdf

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyoby View Post
Are you guys serious?? I'm allowed my opinion, as a tax payer and as someone living in a democratic society with a democratic internet.
I will tone down my ranting next time, but no amount of calming down will hide the fact that the proposed interchange is a total cluster fuck of ugliness.

As I mentioned before, I'm not a fan of the ring road, but unfortunately it's necessary. A necessary evil more or less.
It's interesting that you posted a picture of a concrete jungle and used that as an example of how bad this could be. Why would you do that? If you've seen the big interchanges done for prior Alberta ring road projects, you'd know that the bridges are kept as short as possible, and there's very few bridges that overlap each other.

That picture you posted is a 4-level stack. The ring road design has one short 3-level stack. It's not going be as visually intrusive as the example picture you posted by far. The vertical nature of stack interchanges has a much bigger effect on nearby properties than the amount of lanes does. Essentially, it seems like you're opposed to this design because from overhead view you think it's worse than the concrete jungle you posted as a reference point. I have to disagree completely with you on that subject.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 9:42 PM

I bet that Lakeview residents were fuming this morning when the accident at Crow/Glen required some drivers to enter Lakeview and turn around!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
They would have done all that a long time ago. This is all from Alberta Transportation's website for Schedule 18 (aka the plans for the road): http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/6001.htm

Road lanes for 37th south of Glenmore:

It's basically 3 lanes in each direction to access the development from Glenmore. Seems reasonable. Lakeview residents won't have traffic randomly spilling onto their community roads.

Here's everything you could possibly want to know about how they analysed the traffic patterns: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ule18-AppJ.pdf
BAsed on this, all major traffic will be directed away from 37th (which will receive a few upgrades as well), so their concerns aren't really founded IMO. This group doesn't seem to understand the plan it seems. Thanks for posting this!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I bet that Lakeview residents were fuming this morning when the accident at Crow/Glen required some drivers to enter Lakeview and turn around!
I wish the radicals in Lakeview would just come right out and say that they want to be a gated community where all access to nonresidents is forbidden unless they have special permission in the form of a visa issued by the Lakeview government.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 12:08 AM

I heard the tail end of an update by the NDP on the wetlands decision this afternoon. Nothing online yet though. It was that Shannon Phillips so even though I wanted to listen , I just couldn't do it.

Last edited by sammyd; Jan 30, 2018 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 12:12 AM

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyd View Post
I’m confused. So are the wetlands being protected or not? One thing I did think I understand is that the median will not be used for extra lanes but perhaps for transit?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I’m confused. So are the wetlands being protected or not? One thing I did think I understand is that the median will not be used for extra lanes but perhaps for transit?
The median will be used for extra lanes in the future. These guys are acting as if they'll be in power when the time comes to utilize that space. They won't be and the reality of the future will match up with the initial planning. Vehicle use is not going to go down.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Would you believe that the gated thing was once brought up in community association meeting as a serious question? By a director on the board! *sigh*

Don't judge the community by the loudest voices. Please!
T'is a beautiful community and one I would actually like to live in within Calgary other than the crazies who are there! I used to do home reno's and we extensively reno'd one house several times on Longmoor Way.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 2:50 AM

The former activists that are the NDP......An Action a Day Keeps Global Capitalism Away.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 6:09 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyd View Post
I heard the tail end of an update by the NDP on the wetlands decision this afternoon. Nothing online yet though. It was that Shannon Phillips so even though I wanted to listen , I just couldn't do it.
Yeah - it was hard to even read her words in the decision without my blood pressure rising.
God forbid we try to plan for the future - especially when there was only going to be one chance for an agreement with the Tsuu T'ina.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Yeah - it was hard to even read her words in the decision without my blood pressure rising.
God forbid we try to plan for the future - especially when there was only going to be one chance for an agreement with the Tsuu T'ina.
You're not the only one who felt that way.

I'm convinced now that at some point in the future we're going to find out that there was a huge battle over this decision between Phillips and Mason. Mason likely had enough clout as a party elder to prevent her from recommending a major downgrade to the road and Notley sided with him. Notley and Mason have enough political smarts to realize that any downgrading of this project would have caused a major backlash against them. Phillips being a complete ideologue couldn't care less what people who don't agree with her think.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 4:04 PM
Near Generational

Everyone loses here.

YYC Cares didn't get what they want.

Assuming this is classified as a relief event, this is going to be a windfall for KGL. The price for the same road just went up.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 4:28 PM

Could someone kindly explain how exactly this impacts construction? I thought the appeal was aimed at getting the causeway redesigned, which isn't happening (if I understood correctly...)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
No kidding. Like geez, we need to worry about a friggin swamp! It's not like Alberta doesn't have millions of acres of empty land. The birds that use the swamp will find another one somewhere, else.

As for the NDP, I'm surprised they haven't expressed concern over the mosquitoes that might be affected by the ring road.. I can't wait til those guys are booted from office.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure