HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 6:20 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I agree about the interchange spacing, it's ridiculous here. As with other aspects of road design, it encourages poor driving. The right hand lane is a constant gongshow of exiting and entering traffic that people just stay in the middle. They're getting better, but as those drawings show, still not perfect and means they have to compensate with tons of expensive basketweaves.
That is if it doesn't get dropped alltogether like it does in countless locations. For example, on Glenmore headed west under 18th Street SE where they have room to continue the inside (3rd) lane, all they have to do is paint the lines differently. Really pisses me off.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
That is if it doesn't get dropped alltogether like it does in countless locations. For example, on Glenmore headed west under 18th Street SE where they have room to continue the inside (3rd) lane, all they have to do is paint the lines differently. Really pisses me off.
It is strange why they don't do that in that location.

As for other locations, they need to stop having lanes act as core and auxiliary at the same time. If a road is supposed to be six lanes, for example, it should have six core lanes with additional lanes for exit and entry ramps. You shouldn't even be able to exit off from a core lane.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
What they're doing will cost next to nothing. Much better to spend a few extra bucks than to risk the safety of thousands of drivers.
Safety? Building twice as many interchanges as necessary everywhere is not to increase safety.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Safety? Building twice as many interchanges as necessary everywhere is not to increase safety.
Where did I say anything linking safety to the number of interchanges? You're turning into Suburbia attacking every post I make just for the sake of attacking me. I and another poster are referring to how they're handling people getting into and out of that one neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 10:09 PM

Because you replied to my quote where I said there was too many interchanges, I could only assume that what you wrote was relevant to what I did. They wouldn't need to build as many complex ramps if they didn't feel it neccesary to have every intersecting road have an interchange.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Because you replied to my quote where I said there was too many interchanges, I could only assume that what you wrote was relevant to what I did. They wouldn't need to build as many complex ramps if they didn't feel it neccesary to have every intersecting road have an interchange.
I stated before that the interchanges are too close together and why they're building them anyway. At least they're using a creative solution to minimize crazy merge and exit situations.

Just to make it super clear I agree with you other than when it's absolutely necessary to have interchanges closer together. Unless they changed it recently I'm pretty sure CalTrans recommended spacing between interchanges of 3 km. (not sure why they use metric but that's what it said). It would be interesting to know what TxDOT recommends as they are the masters. It would also be nice to know if Alberta Transportation has recommendations.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 6:28 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Why is Alberta so insistent on having interchanges spaced so closely? Edmonton area freeways are pretty bad too. Interchanges should ideally be at least 3km apart especially in the suburban settings Stoney Trail and Anthony Henday goes through. Get down to 1.5km spacing and a C/D system should be considered to avoid slowing down through traffic.
Can you provide an example? To my knowledge Alberta Transportation does have minimum distances between interchanges (on new roads) and they are applying them to Stoney Trail. That is the reason the Tuscany Blvd is designed the way it is as an example.

Edit:
also found this

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...reewyfclty.pdf

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Can you provide an example? To my knowledge Alberta Transportation does have minimum distances between interchanges (on new roads) and they are applying them to Stoney Trail. That is the reason the Tuscany Blvd is designed the way it is as an example.

Edit:
also found this

Great find! The section on Interchange Spacing confirms that they do have standards that match up with other transportation departments and the exceptions to the standards agree with what I said. We really can't complain when it comes to interchange spacing. The number of lanes is a different story as far as I'm concerned.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 5:35 AM

A received another email today on the West leg of 201. Apparently utility relocation and pathway removal along a stretch of Old Banff Coach Road started this week. It's good to see this project progressing along. Still no sign of when the new website will be up.

West Calgary Ring Road Construction Update
West Calgary Ring Road Project Information <admin@westringroad.ca>
Wed 8/14/2019 3:31 PM

West Calgary Ring Road
Utility relocations and pathway removal - August 2019

In preparation for West Calgary Ring Road construction, multiple utilities need to be relocated from the future road and interchange area at Old Banff Coach Road SW, between 101 Street SW and Cougar Ridge. Work is expected to begin the week of August 12 and be complete in late Fall 2019.

The work involves excavation and transmission pole relocations. Motorists should expect reduced speeds throughout the area.

The pathway stub on the north side of Old Banff Coach Road west of 89 Street SW will be removed as part of this work. A new pathway will be built when the ring road is complete in 2022 (alignment to be determined). Those who use the pathway are asked to cross at the controlled intersection at Old Banff Coach Road and Cougar Ridge Drive / 89 Street SW.

Thank you for your patience during construction. For more information about the West Calgary Ring Road, visit alberta.ca/calgary-ring-road.aspx.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please email admin@westringroad.ca.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 12:42 AM

SWCRR Tunnel Doubles as Artistic Venue

August 16, 2019

Alberta Transportation, Mountain View Partners and KGL Constructors recently partnered with Mountain Standard Time Performative Art (MST), TRUCK Contemporary Art in Calgary and acclaimed artist Jin-me Yoon to produce photo and video artworks at the SWCRR tunnel.

The SWCRR tunnel is under construction in the Elbow River valley. It’s being built to maintain the connection of Weaselhead Road, a major north/south road for the Tsuut’ina Nation. The tunnel will pass through embankment under the future northbound and southbound lanes of the SWCRR. Jin-me has a history of making photographs of hangars, mounds and tunnels, and is planning to use the tunnel as a metaphor for a dwelling in two separate works of art.

Representatives from MST, along with Jin-me and supporting artists, visited the SWCRR site in late July after construction activity had concluded for the day. The group received a safety orientation and were provided with protective gear while on site. The tunnel area was cleared of construction materials to remove any safety concerns and facilitate the project.

The first phase of the project involved taking a series of photos of the tunnel from three distances: near, medium and far. A KGL employee shuttled the group to a number of locations around the site that offered varying viewpoints of the tunnel. The group also captured many images at both ends of the tunnel, looking inside and outside.

Photographer Noel Begin takes photos of the tunnel from a distance, while artist Jin-me and MST’s Desiree Nault look on

Photographer Noel Begin takes photos of the tunnel, while production starts on the video elements of the project

The second phase of the project involved video and audio shoots in and around the tunnel featuring two actors. Video was first taken of the two performers arriving at the tunnel. Then the group transitioned to prepare the site for a musical performance inside the tunnel. This involved setting up instruments, cameras, lights, props and other support equipment.

Once everything was in place, the two actors played improvisational music and sounds in the tunnel. They were tasked with listening to the effects of the tunnel and responding in their performance. Several cameras captured their efforts. The music and sounds they created will serve as the soundtrack for the resulting video.

The two actors create music and sounds in the tunnel

The project is presented by MST for the 10th anniversary of their biennial and is co-presented by TRUCK Contemporary Art. It is also supported by the Canada Council for the Arts, Alberta Culture and Tourism, the BC Arts Council, Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission, Calgary Arts Development Authority, Alberta Foundation for the Arts, and is sponsored by CJSW, Emmedia, CSIF, and Drawing Change.

The resulting photo and video artworks will be included in solo-exhibitions at both TRUCK Contemporary Art in Calgary and the Vancouver Art Gallery in the future. The research, development, and production of this project brought together cultural workers from Vancouver, Tsuut’ina Nation, and Calgary and created workshops, mentorships, and discourses around relationality.

Source: http://www.swcrrproject.com/about/in-the-community/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 2:13 AM

It looks like the province has slipped in info on the three firms selected to submit proposals for the South project of the West leg of 201. At least I don't recall seeing this info before.

South project

5 km of 6- and 8-lane divided freeway between Old Banff Coach Road and Highway 8.
  • 7 bridges
  • 4 interchanges
  • Old Banff Coach Road SW
  • Bow Trail SW
  • 17 Avenue SW
  • Highway 8
The Government of Alberta has selected three groups to submit proposals to develop the south section of the West Calgary Ring Road using a Design-Build delivery model. The submissions were evaluated based on several factors including experience, and past performance. The groups are consortia composed of construction and design companies.
  • Calgary Safelink Partners
  • EllisDon Construction Services Inc.
  • PCL Construction Management Inc.

Source: https://www.alberta.ca/west-calgary-ring-road.aspx

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
It looks like the province has slipped in info on the three firms selected to submit proposals for the South project of the West leg of 201. At least I don't recall seeing this info before.

South project

5 km of 6- and 8-lane divided freeway between Old Banff Coach Road and Highway 8.
  • 7 bridges
  • 4 interchanges
  • Old Banff Coach Road SW
  • Bow Trail SW
  • 17 Avenue SW
  • Highway 8
The Government of Alberta has selected three groups to submit proposals to develop the south section of the West Calgary Ring Road using a Design-Build delivery model. The submissions were evaluated based on several factors including experience, and past performance. The groups are consortia composed of construction and design companies.
  • Calgary Safelink Partners
  • EllisDon Construction Services Inc.
  • PCL Construction Management Inc.

Source: https://www.alberta.ca/west-calgary-ring-road.aspx
If they're giving out that info now, I would imagine the bid process must be underway and they'll probably pick a group to build it just after the new year.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 9:21 PM

Has part of the west leg already started? Lots of excavation, piles being driven etc out past COP.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Clearly you've never been to Minneapolis or Phoenix. The legacy freeways in those cities have the same density of interchanges. Plus they also used cloverleafs at most major freeway intersections.

The old school thinking was that the freeways were to support the streets immediately adjacent to the freeway. All directions possible had to be accomodated, without exception. Thus interchanges at every single road crossing, typically every 1/2 mile or so.
On an old freeway it's understandable. On a new freeway, it's inexcusable.

Quote:
I agree about the interchange spacing, it's ridiculous here. As with other aspects of road design, it encourages poor driving. The right hand lane is a constant gongshow of exiting and entering traffic that people just stay in the middle. They're getting better, but as those drawings show, still not perfect and means they have to compensate with tons of expensive basketweaves.
The basketweaves are awful. I don't think you can do much about fixing the right lane though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post

Edit:
also found this

In Edmonton, the Anthony Henday Drive on the NE corner between the onramp from Manning to the off ramp at 153 Ave is 425 metres. Anthony Henday on the west side from the 87 Ave onramp to Whitemud offramp, 480 metres. Anthony Henday SW from Terwillegar to Rabbit Hill, 380 metres.

Stoney Trail from the Sacree Trail onramp to Shaganappi Trail offramp, 450 metres. 14 St to Centre St in both directions, 500 metres. At least there's a collector/distributor lane from Scenic Acres Link and Crowchild Trail which is 250 metres apart.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 10:37 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Has part of the west leg already started? Lots of excavation, piles being driven etc out past COP.
The website says that construction between the TCH and Old Banff Coach Road is underway.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
If they're giving out that info now, I would imagine the bid process must be underway and they'll probably pick a group to build it just after the new year.
According to the timeline on the website design and construction is scheduled to begin early next year. I take it this section must be the most complex and expensive for them to have not issued a contract yet.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:34 AM

Quote:
If you go south from just before the Crowchild interchange to where the bridge over the Bow is you'll see a crazy amount of work has been done in a very short amount of time. I was also blown away by much equipment I saw on the hill at COP. Whoever is in charge of the this segment isn't screwing around.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
According to the timeline on the website design and construction is scheduled to begin early next year. I take it this section must be the most complex and expensive for them to have not issued a contract yet.
Just from a quick glance, I would say the North section of the West leg looks way more complex and difficult to construct. This last piece is already at the top of the hill so no major grading, and it has a lot less existing roads to deal with. Combine that with the work already happening to connect to it with the SW leg, and this should be a quicker and easier project.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 12:11 AM

Received this via email today.

West Calgary Ring Road (WCRR)
Construction Notice - August 2019
Utility work and tree removals east and west of Valley Ridge Boulevard NW

The Transportation / Utility Corridor (TUC) is land acquired over time for the eventual construction of the Calgary Ring Road, but is also intended to house major utilities to serve surrounding communities. Part of the WCRR project includes upgrading deep utilities to minimize costs and public disruptions.

The new infrastructure being constructed within the TUC, east and west of Valley Ridge Boulevard NW, includes a water feeder main alteration, a new storm water trunk, retaining walls, bridges, and significant interchange improvements. Due to the infrastructure requirements and limited available space in the TUC, many of the existing Poplar trees behind the residences along Valley Meadow Close and Valley Brook Circle NW will be impacted by excavations for new utilities. Some of the trees west of Valley Ridge Boulevard NW near Valley Ridge Heights NW will also be impacted by construction.

The WCRR is being delivered using a Design-Build model. As such, the designs are being developed concurrently with ongoing construction activities to meet project timelines. Alberta Transportation has been working with the Design-Build Contractor (EllisDon) to evaluate any additional tree removals with the intent of minimizing impacts to the larger trees. The tree removals are needed to provide space for safe excavations, installation of lines and to protect the safety of workers and the public from trees that may become compromised. Any trees that can be avoided will be left undisturbed.

Alberta Transportation and EllisDon are committed to minimizing the disturbance for adjacent residents. When work in the area is complete, new noise barriers will be installed where required and new trees will be planted to replace the trees removed by this work. The tree replacement will be a mixture of approximately 40% White Spruce, 40% Lodgepole Pine and 20% Trembling Aspen with approximately 40% of the trees being 2.5m - 3m in height and the remainder 1m - 1.5m in height.

Utility work and associated tree removals are expected to begin the week of September 3. Prior to any tree removals, environmental sweeps will be conducted to ensure no active bird nests are affected.

Thank you for your patience during construction. For more information about the West Calgary Ring Road, visit alberta.ca/calgary-ring-road.aspx.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please email admin@westringroad.ca.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 6:36 AM
Near Generational

I'd imagine those people are going to be choked those trees are being removed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure