HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 5:00 AM

how come edmonton calls it NW street names etc but its in the south?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 5:49 AM

Because for the longest time there wasn't a quadrant system like that of Calgary or Portland. Edmonton's road numbering system was made to plan for a largish city. That's why roads Downtown start at 97 and go up (for both avenues and streets). If the quadrant system was planned from the get-go, then streets downtown would retain the original singular numbers, eg. 102 St = 2nd St, 104 Ave = 4th Ave, etc.

However, as Edmonton continued to expand farther than the planners that set in place the current numbering system many, many decades ago could have thought, the streets in the south hit zero. In order to keep the numbered system for the existing city as is, the City put in place a quadrant system as a sort of afterthought, so that numbers would start to increase again. The same is starting to occur in the Northeast as well (hence the NE quadrant). There is no SE quadrant, however.

If Edmonton only continued expanding to the north and west (directions that numbers increase from downtown, rather than decrease), then there'd be no need for a NW, SW, or NE at the end of street addresses. Although even still, it isn't uncommon to just see an address without the 'NW' tacked on, eg 10345 105 Street. If there is no quadrant tacked on at the end, it is assumed to be NW, as that is what 95% of the city falls under. It's only really necessary if you're one of the outliers in the SW or NE quadrants.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:43 PM
Community Guy

Cafe du France

Unique little room in le marchand.

Service was good but not top notch

Food was good all around, but dessert stood out by far. Wow.

$200 for 4 with some wine.

They need to work on the details, but decent and we would go back.

Thurs/fri you can get two steaks and a bottle for 50.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 8:19 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Checked out Three Boars last night, but I was only there for drinks. The lights went out for a few minutes right when I was ordering my first beer, which was a Propeller ESB. This was probably because it's in an older building, and so the wiring might've had issues. I also had a pint of Dead Guy Ale and a double Laphroaig, which is one of my favourite Scotches. I also had a taste of Trois Mousquetaires, a very strong (10%) Baltic Porter brewed in Quebec. It comes in a 750 ml bottle, so that's best shared with friends (a friend of one of my brothers works there and was sharing some of that stuff with his friends).

The Sugarbowl was great, too. I had a Propeller IPA and a Del Ducato, an awesome and refreshing Italian IPA.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 3:37 PM

Had another brunch at Bistro India recently. Food was as good as expected. Main complaint is that someone there has developed an overt fondness for mothballs. The smell of them was overpowering. Hell, there were even mothballs in the urinal!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 8:05 PM

After the symphony on Saturday, my wife and I were looking for a place to eat around 10:30. After using Open Table we ventured over to Café Devile. I forgot how good they are. And what’s nice is you CAN have a Late Night Dinner in town that is not at some chain.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 8:11 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
After the symphony on Saturday, my wife and I were looking for a place to eat around 10:30. After using Open Table we ventured over to Café Devile. I forgot how good they are. And what’s nice is you CAN have a Late Night Dinner in town that is not at some chain.
Great spot that is much better at night than for brunch IMO. It does need an update though.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 12:42 AM

is there anywhere downtown pr near downtown i can get good milkshakes and big variety? Got my wisdom teeth pulled out and craving damn milkshakes!!

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
is there anywhere downtown pr near downtown i can get good milkshakes and big variety? Got my wisdom teeth pulled out and craving damn milkshakes!!
Fatburger in ECC East in the basement.
Marbleslab Ice Cream 109 and Jasper Ave in the strip mall

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 2:26 AM

Thank you

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 2:39 AM
Community Guy

Commodore, red robins

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 2:40 AM
Community Guy

Common last night for short ribs/frites and veal cheeks in quinoa. Superb... Seriously good food there.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 6:39 PM
Community Guy

The Bothy has an ad in this month's Avenue... 'coming soon to 124st'... confirming the rumours. Awesome

Also a great article about the Mercer businesses about to open, that is going to be a one stop shop of wicked.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 1:51 AM

Just in time for patio season - Tin Palace closing for renos:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...296/story.html

Quote:
EDMONTON - Earls Tin Palace is closing in June for a $5-million renovation and will open again in October, in plenty of time for the restaurant’s 30th birthday in early 2013.

The downtown Tin Palace was the first of 63 Earls Kitchen and Bars, which now spread throughout Western Canada, Ontario, Washington State and Colorado.

“We know with the summer patio season approaching its not a great time to close,” says Cate Simpson, the company’s communications manager. “But the restaurant is 29 years old and it’s time to update and show Edmonton how important the city is to us. It’s the most expensive renovation we have done to date.”

The restaurants are named for founder Leroy Earl “Bus” Fuller and his son Stan, who share “Earl” as their middle name. Stan, who helped launch the company, is now CEO.

The present eatery will be reduced to its footprint to be replaced by a 300-seat restaurant with two outdoor patios, one covered.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:17 PM
Derp

Now THAT'S a patio. Will certainly be worth waiting for!

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:38 PM
Community Guy

Indeed... perhaps this might given them motivation to open it up before May long each year.

Also, saw the plans for Kelly's in the Icon. Decent looking, good amount of seats and a rather large patio. It will be awesome to have a normal pub with normal prices in the area.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 5:11 PM

Obviously Earls is getting this done before Cactus Club opens downtown.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Because for the longest time there wasn't a quadrant system like that of Calgary or Portland. Edmonton's road numbering system was made to plan for a largish city. That's why roads Downtown start at 97 and go up (for both avenues and streets). If the quadrant system was planned from the get-go, then streets downtown would retain the original singular numbers, eg. 102 St = 2nd St, 104 Ave = 4th Ave, etc.

However, as Edmonton continued to expand farther than the planners that set in place the current numbering system many, many decades ago could have thought, the streets in the south hit zero. In order to keep the numbered system for the existing city as is, the City put in place a quadrant system as a sort of afterthought, so that numbers would start to increase again. The same is starting to occur in the Northeast as well (hence the NE quadrant). There is no SE quadrant, however.

If Edmonton only continued expanding to the north and west (directions that numbers increase from downtown, rather than decrease), then there'd be no need for a NW, SW, or NE at the end of street addresses. Although even still, it isn't uncommon to just see an address without the 'NW' tacked on, eg 10345 105 Street. If there is no quadrant tacked on at the end, it is assumed to be NW, as that is what 95% of the city falls under. It's only really necessary if you're one of the outliers in the SW or NE quadrants.
thanks for the info

---

nice looking patio indeed

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 1:37 AM

I'm not clear if this is 1 new place...or 2 new places? Haandi (Indian) and Serengeti Grill (African) just opened on 107 St just south of Jasper Ave:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haandi...41553735901657

Meanwhile, looks like Fantasia Noodle House Express finally opened today in the Serenity (Jasper Ave/117 St)

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 6:47 AM
A Better Place

Kind of disappointed at the lack of patios open today for lunch, decided on Sherlock Holmes because it was the only one with a patio open. The beautiful day today should of spurred more places to open their patios.

Went to Tres Carnales later on for dinner and they didn't have a patio open either. Asked one of the waitresses about that, and she said that they sent in an application to the city two months ago and haven't heard back since.

The city must be more proactive and flexible in approving patios; their current stance is hypocritical of their downtown plan. Must. Fix. Now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton