HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 2:33 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I wanna live there. Like a vacation condo would be good.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 3:10 AM

Sweet.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 5:24 AM
Philadelphia

awesome. wow. thanks for giving me a layover on my way to australia.

speaking of which - i thought Perth held title to "most isolated big city" in el mundo ?? anyone?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 1:52 PM
Red October standing by

awesome pics

-

-fflint

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 3:37 PM
Closed account

Best Honolulu thread I have ever seen!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 2:03 PM
ॐ शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI

--=- | Check out The Indian Skyscraper Blog - Chronicling the vertical risE of India... | -=--

Last edited by Jai; Sep 21, 2012 at 1:36 AM. Reason: re

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 5:01 PM
no its not...

thanks for the beautiful tour

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 6:12 PM
California goth

Awesome pics of paradise.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 6:40 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Those are some awesome photos!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 7:57 PM

Very nice pictures of Hawaii's capital. Unlike any other city in the United States...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 11:57 PM

Well done Jai, its been only about 6 years since I have been in Honolulu but so much has changed in such a short time. Great shots of a great city!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 1:04 AM

I've always wondered about Honolulu too, like what its urban neighborhoods look like (it's certainly big enough to have some!) Anyway, these shots are nice.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 7:33 PM

Now that is spectacular! WTG.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 10:35 PM
E pluribus unum

Holy cow, that last skyline pic on the first page is incredible!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 7:21 AM
ॐ शान्तिः

Thanks again for the comments guys, I'll try to get some more pics uploaded this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
1. North Shore and the east side of the island are fairly free of major development or resort development. In fact while I was there the Governor announced the State was going to purchase the Turtle Bay Resort on the north shore, to limit further development. The east side of the island in particular seemed to be where the real Hawaiians/Polynesians were......is this true?
Sorry I didn't reply to your post in the longest time. Yeah, North Shore, the mountainous interior (Mauka) and the (north) windward and leeward (save for Ko'olina) coasts are the most undeveloped part of the island. The 'country' nature of the north shore gives it its charm, and any more development, while it would reap untold millions in profits for developers, is wisely opposed.

The areas with the largest concentrations of native Hawai'ians are on the windward (east) and leeward (west) coasts of the island. These are also the least urbanized areas. Honolulu is a very cosmopolitan city, and when you factor into account the tourists and military, you get a very eclectic and diverse mix of people. The southern coast from, say Waipahu on eastward, and the central corridor following the O'ahu Plain have large concentrations of Asians (Chinese, Korean, Pinoy), and caucasians.

But that is a broad generalization. Pretty much every area and neighborhood in O'ahu island is far more diverse than the average major city on the mainland.

Cheers,
Jai

--=- | Check out The Indian Skyscraper Blog - Chronicling the vertical risE of India... | -=--

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
Pretty much every area and neighborhood in O'ahu island is far more diverse than the average major city on the mainland.
It's definitely a different type of diversity from the mainland. Having been born and raised on Oahu, it was culture shock when I went to L.A. for school. Latinos, African Americans and hell, even South Asians were all pretty foreign to me having grown up in the islands where diversity is a lot of east asians, southeast asians and polynesians mixed with caucasians. When I lived in the east coast Jewish folks and eastern Europeans got mixed into my view of diversity (again, cultures I had little exposure to in Hawaii).

But it is one of the few places in the U.S. where the caucasian populations is not a majority.

Btw, thanks for the pictures. I still have family back in Honolulu and visit them once or twice a year. But it's always good to see photos like yours - the deep greens that you see in Hawaii are always astounding. I'm always struck by all the new construction that's going on. This last trip the big deal was that new supermarket in Kapahulu that everyone was raving about. My mom was so happy that there was a supermarket "just like the ones on the mainland" :-P

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 7:11 AM
ॐ शान्तिः

Quote:
Originally Posted by newboldphilly View Post
speaking of which - i thought Perth held title to "most isolated big city" in el mundo ?? anyone?
Hi

Did some quick googling... according to west-oz.com
Quote:
Perth is situated on the west coast of the Australian continent in south-west Western Australia and faces west to the Indian Ocean. Adelaide, in South Australia is roughly 2500km away, making Perth the second most isolated capital city in the world after Honolulu, Hawaii
I guess it's safe to call Perth the most isolated city of over a 1 million people in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensf View Post
It's definitely a different type of diversity from the mainland. Having been born and raised on Oahu, it was culture shock when I went to L.A. for school. Latinos, African Americans and hell, even South Asians were all pretty foreign to me having grown up in the islands where diversity is a lot of east asians, southeast asians and polynesians mixed with caucasians.
Totally agree with you. I think for me (being non-caucasian) what struck me most about O'ahu is how little the caucasian population is here -- only about 1 in 5 (not counting the tourists, of course.)

It's an interesting and unique mix of people, and though the racial diversity of the population isn't as much as the mainland, I think that a far greater mix of cultures is more readily available, accessible, and understood here in Hawaii. There is far greater racial mixing in Hawaii which I think goes to show how more progressive race relations are here.

On a personal note, it's a refreshing feeling not being immediately labeled either Mexican, Puerto Rican or "misc. brown guy" for once. Most people think I'm a curious bi-racial combination (technically true I guess) -- or as my friends call me "da kinedian." Though my trying to explain that I'm of Indian ethnicity invariably runs the conversation into a tree ("like Apache brah?") Especially so when I try to explain that I'm American of Caribbean East Indian (Trinidadian) descent (i.e. an East-Indian-West-Indian Indian-American) In bars now I just say "Hindu Jamaican," and that seems to work well enough.

While some of my "haole" friends whine about how they're too chicken to go to places like Waianae at night, I've never had any problems or anything with native Hawaiians -- (in one amusing (to me anyway) incident, a bunch of Samoans unloaded 40 lbs of garbage in a drive-by-dumping on H-2 into my friends new convertible ) In all seriousness, it's my experience that they're are bar none the nicest people on earth. I tell my friends now you know how I feel if I have to drive rural America at night.

Quote:
This last trip the big deal was that new supermarket in Kapahulu that everyone was raving about. My mom was so happy that there was a supermarket "just like the ones on the mainland" :-P
Honolulu and Waikiki are exploding. I was looking at pics from a few years ago, and it looks nothing like it does now

edit- here's a pic I took today, for your nostalga's sake

Cheers,
Jai

Last edited by Jai; Feb 26, 2008 at 7:30 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 5:53 AM
That's what she said

Looks beautiful there. Nice photos.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 5:07 AM
TOD'd

Cool. I'm on Kauai right now, and having never been to Oahu, I refuse to believe that something like this exists on the islands. Guess I have to see it for myself. I am guessing the sound of roosters crowing does not accompany your shots, and if they do, then whoa!

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 5:15 AM

Wow! Thank you soo much for the additional pics. Hawaii is magnificent

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos