HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 9:07 AM
TL;DR

If any Chicagoans are looking to escape town during the NATO ruckus, Talgo is hosting a free Open House this Sunday up in Milwaukee for the public to preview the new trains. It runs 12-3.

https://www.facebook.com/events/211206615665558/

Last edited by ardecila; May 18, 2012 at 9:20 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 12:44 AM
TL;DR

I didn't make it up to Milwaukee, but there are plenty of photos on flickr. I'm pretty underwhelmed by these trains, to be honest. Certainly nothing compared to the ICEs I rode in Germany.

Does all of this stuff have to be 100% plastic? I give Metra credit for using carpeted walls and brushed stainless... Metra probably has the most attractive railcar interiors in the US.

source

source

source

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 1:12 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

what do METRA cars look like?

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 1:56 AM
TL;DR

^

Faux-leather seats, carpet on the bulkhead at right, and stainless-steel fixtures and trim. The upper gallery has a railing with a slant pattern. The steel panels at the base of each armrest have a diamond texture. Then there's the cushion to prevent people bumping their heads, also faux-leather - the shape subtly echoes the tube lighting above the windows.

I should note that the gallery car has been slowly improved over decades since the C&NW introduced them in 1955.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 2:12 AM

Idk about that , i think NJT and Metro North have you beat with there new cars..

Christmas Day in Manhattan, New York by flickr4jazz, on Flickr

MNRR_5793 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 5:54 PM

faux-wood paneling?

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 7:25 AM
TL;DR

^ Oh yeah. Klassy.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 8:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Idk about that , i think NJT and Metro North have you beat with there new cars..
Those cars are only one story and the seats don't look reversable.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Those cars are only one story and the seats don't look reversable.
The First one is from a double decker....and reversing seats are being done aaway with.

double-decker double wide by frank maiello, on Flickr

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 9:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

Christmas Day in Manhattan, New York by flickr4jazz, on Flickr

MNRR_5793 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
Geez, they really pack 'em in tightly there don't they? If you have a window seat and someone is sitting beside you, it looks like getting out would be like getting out of an airplane window seat with someone beside you. Especially if they have long legs. I prefer the Bombardier layout myself. It's also much better socially if you have a group of three or four people.

Besides, with the layout you showed, we never could have had Train 48. The greatest television show that took place entirely on a commuter train of all-time. LOL:

Video Link

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 7:25 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Can't remember if this has been posted, but this is probably the most consequential project in the state to speed up passenger rail traffic...and it seems to be taking forever, but seems to have finally gotten the funding it needs:

Quote:
Project aims to eliminate Amtrak rail congestion in Detroit area

May 11, 2012

DEARBORN (AP) — Rail congestion along a Detroit Amtrak route is expected to be alleviated with the addition of a new track to separate the movement of freight and passenger trains.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said Thursday that the Federal Railroad Administration is providing a $7.9 million grant for the West Detroit Connection Track project.

Michigan will match that amount. The project is set to break ground this year.

LaHood said the work would eliminate “a longstanding bottleneck” and create “capacity to handle future rail demand” as the population increases.

The West Detroit Junction is a key link between the Dearborn station and the Detroit New Center station.

Amtrak’s “Wolverine” service will use the new track for its three daily round-trip trains between Chicago and the Detroit area.
The West Detroit connection won't just make the Wolverine faster, but is needed to speed up the SEMCOG commuter rail service for Metro Detroit, as well as any high-speed service in the future.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 10:42 PM

Map Key

High Speed Rail - 125-220mph
Regional Rail - 80-125mph
Commuter Rail - 50-100mph
http://www.midwesthsr.org/projects-by-state

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 1:59 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
No potential bullet train from Cleveland to Pittsburgh? I find that rather interesting. There's something called the New York and Chicago Railroad, which is another initiative designed to run bullet train service from Chicago Union Station to Penn Station. Is constructing new electrified infrastructure not feasible between Cleveland and Pittsburgh at least?

Are all of the regional trains going to be operated with the Talgo trainsets under development for the Michigan corridors?

Last edited by Jonboy1983; Jun 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM. Reason: added question

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
No potential bullet train from Cleveland to Pittsburgh? I find that rather interesting. There's something called the New York and Chicago Railroad, which is another initiative designed to run bullet train service from Chicago Union Station to Penn Station. Is constructing new electrified infrastructure not feasible between Cleveland and Pittsburgh at least?

Are all of the regional trains going to be operated with the Talgo trainsets under development for the Michigan corridors?
That report was just targeted at the Midwest and connecting it to the Northeast. Its cheaper and Faster to go to Penn via Upstate NY then PA which would require alot of tunnels...and viaducts , along with adding to NEC congestion... As for Cleveland to Pittsburgh i'm sure they'll study that down the road....

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 8:08 AM
TL;DR

^^ What he said. Back in the glory days of yesteryear, the fastest route from Chicago to NY was the New York Central's Water Level Route, which roughly paralleled the Erie Canal (hence the name) through Upstate NY. This route is not as direct, but it avoids the need for massive tunneling and bridging through the Alleghenies and foothills.

Plus, an Upstate route could potentially double as a high-speed route to Toronto if we ever realize Fortress America is a stupid idea and allow international rail service that doesn't suck royally.

Last edited by ardecila; Jun 13, 2012 at 8:19 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 10:25 AM
The City

Ahh, the dream of High Speed Rail, seems so 2009, no?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Build nothing, print money, expect a 'Glorious Leader' to bail us out without any pain to ourselves, watch too much television, and, vent in blogs without affecting the 'powers at be'.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 12:38 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
It's happening... just at a slower pace.

Illinois agreed to fund lines to Dubuque and the Quad Cities, and is seeking funding for a Peoria rail spur. In less than a year, 110mph service will begin to St. Louis.

Minnesota is actively planning for the Northern Lights Express to Duluth and a 150mph line to Rochester, and is soon to open their Union Depot to tie it all together.

Missouri is still advocating for increased rail service, focusing mainly on bottlenecks.

Michigan will commence full 110mph service to Detroit soon, plus new stations, etc.

The resistance of state governments in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, and Iowa will be short-lived, as those state governments find themselves outclassed by the improved transportation in neighboring states. Even Indiana is willing to assist with the small segment in Northwest Indiana, and Iowa still wants to expand the rail system but they're putting the brakes on until the state's budget gets better.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 12:26 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
I sure do hope it is short lived in places like Ohio like you say. If I had the option of taking true high-speed rail, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Plus, it will be good for economic development and job growth in the long run. I just don't understand why Republicans can't see that...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 7:21 PM
TL;DR

+1

This is getting ridiculous. Walker and Kasich are idiots because they passed on rail spending and their states will suffer for it. Any other kind of political talk is ultimately off-topic. I don't wanna hear about how Democrats buy votes.

To kick off a different discussion, here are some stations for the planned Black Hawk line to Dubuque.

Dubuque

Source

Galena

Source

Freeport

Source

Rockford

Source

Stations are also planned for Genoa and South Elgin but the plans are not as far along because until recently, the route from Elgin-Chicago was in doubt. I would have preferred the route running through Elgin and Belvidere, mainly because it would have reduced traffic on the Tollway and answered Belvidere's demand for rail transit without the huge cost and political thorniness of extending Metra. It would also have brought intercity service to Downtown Elgin, which is an ideal point to transfer to suburban bus lines or to a local Metra train.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation