HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1919 Market in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 3:10 AM

[/IMG] <<<Even the moderator(s) felt this wasn't a priority to change the icon. Who gives a hoot? The building just got a bad wrap from its beginning. Too short, too this, too that, not enough of what, could have been a great 1000 footer, yadi, yadi yadi. The only thing sadder than all of the negative comments is the feeling I got watching Bambi when I was a child. After the hunter shot Bambi's mother to death, and Bambi crying over his Mom. My Mom said, oh no, Mikey must have watched that cartoon. I cried for 3 days...I kid you not. Well, I only cried 2 days when I saw all of the renderings of this project. But I got over it. Life does go on....next!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 12:09 PM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Reading the comments on the height issues with this building in this thread cracks me up: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=119576
Funny. I knew this building was a mistake in 2006. This building will be obsolete or inadequate for Center City in 20 years. Very underwhelming.

Everyone is saying the massive above ground parking lot is because of the NIMBY's, for real??
That is called bad design and cheap developer.
Are you saying Center City land value does not dictate to place the parking underground? No building in Philadelphia should be built on a podium of parking.

When a building is very controversial, it gets a lot of opinion on it, same as Symphony House.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 3:32 PM

confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
[/IMG]

Yeah, that is so true. Funny how this site was destined to be half garage, half building.
Boy those grumpy people have been around forever (in those shitty looking buildings)
They even looked shitty way back when...
The Penn Center Inn and the two original Penn Center buildings(1954/56) confirm the observation that buildings reflect whether or not they are being built in a period of decline and lack of confidence in the future or a period of prosperity and confidence in the future. City Hall is the greatest example of a building that reflects prosperity and confidence as do CITC, CC, LP and others. From this perspective 1919 Market St is no Penn Center Inn.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
The Penn Center Inn and the two original Penn Center buildings(1954/56) confirm the observation that buildings reflect whether or not they are being built in a period of decline and lack of confidence in the future or a period of prosperity and confidence in the future. City Hall is the greatest example of a building that reflects prosperity and confidence as do CITC, CC, LP and others. From this perspective 1919 Market St is no Penn Center Inn.
I dunno. Every time I look at it, I'm reminded of the old Penn Center Inn. I had such high hopes for this lot -- and it's basically the same thing turned sideways, with nicer rooms.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 12:00 AM

This was a stubbornly vacant lot for so many years. What held it up for so long?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 12:18 AM

Update from Building Philly

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I dunno. Every time I look at it, I'm reminded of the old Penn Center Inn. I had such high hopes for this lot -- and it's basically the same thing turned sideways, with nicer rooms.

The frigging thing is about 150' too short ....... Yet another big bite in the ass ....

.....Words that are heavy with trouble :
" Tinker to Evers to Chance ."

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta here View Post
The frigging thing is about 150' too short ....... Yet another big bite in the ass ....
It falls short in so many ways. Even lack of height wouldn't have been as big of an issue if it was a more inspired design without a giant garage. I'll still reserve judgment until it's complete with retail tenants, but, so far, it elicits negative (not merely indifferent) reactions from me every time I look at it. Appearance-wise, I think it's going to look very dated in the near term.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
Funny. I knew this building was a mistake in 2006. This building will be obsolete or inadequate for Center City in 20 years. Very underwhelming.

Everyone is saying the massive above ground parking lot is because of the NIMBY's, for real??
That is called bad design and cheap developer.
Are you saying Center City land value does not dictate to place the parking underground? No building in Philadelphia should be built on a podium of parking.

When a building is very controversial, it gets a lot of opinion on it, same as Symphony House.
So I guess SLS shouldn't be built since it is being built on a podium of parking??

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructStudent View Post
So I guess SLS shouldn't be built since it is being built on a podium of parking??
Probably my least favorite aspect of that project. Maybe if they get rid of it they won't need to wait for the state budget.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Is SLS going to be built?

Per the SLS thread, if the $ from the state is guaranteed, why can't they get started?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 11:12 PM
Hello

Quote:
Very good point.

I did not even know SLS was going to have an above ground parking podium.

Now knowing that, I must say SLS's design is even far more superior than 1919. You can't even tell there is a parking garage in that podium with the ground floor interaction with Broad Street and the ball room component on the top of the podium (or whatever is on top). Plus SLS did excavate a "hole" for its foundation where as 1919 was built on a slab at ground level.

Plus I am ok with it as SLS is on the fringe of the tall buildings of Center City, actually being a building that is expanding the skyline South and East. It is on the frontier. It is on the Avenue of Arts just about touching row house neighborhoods.
1919 is in the middle of the Central Business District. There was no limit to what height it could have had.
Even given the locations, SLS blows away the midget height of 1919.

Saying all of that, the use of above ground parking podiums as the base of a skyscraper should be minimized in Center City.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
Saying all of that, the use of above ground parking podiums as the base of a skyscraper should be minimized in Center City.
So long as the ground floor is all retail it's not that bad.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:04 AM

2/17/16

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:37 PM

Well, the splotchy glass color pattern isn't nearly as ugly as it was in the renderings, but it still looks awkward. I get the feeling that it's going to look really dated in 5 years. But the horrible garage and lack of ambition in terms of density are still the two worst things about this building. Oh well, they can't all be winners.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
It falls short in so many ways. Even lack of height wouldn't have been as big of an issue if it was a more inspired design without a giant garage. I'll still reserve judgment until it's complete with retail tenants, but, so far, it elicits negative (not merely indifferent) reactions from me every time I look at it. Appearance-wise, I think it's going to look very dated in the near term.
I agree 100%. Yes, I really think this lot deserved a taller building. BUT, I could have looked the other way if the design was better or if it didn't have a giant garage tumor growing out of its backside.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:48 PM

Does anyone know the sidewalk closure policy for the city? The sidewalk in front of this building has been closed for the duration of the construction, which is amazingly annoying if you live work play around here.

I know New York and London - places with higher pedestrian traffic - have legislation that force construction sites to keep sidewalks open during the construction phase.

It's not like this is being built in some far away nook of the city like Dranoff's riverfront tower...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Does anyone know the sidewalk closure policy for the city? The sidewalk in front of this building has been closed for the duration of the construction, which is amazingly annoying if you live work play around here.

I know New York and London - places with higher pedestrian traffic - have legislation that force construction sites to keep sidewalks open during the construction phase.

It's not like this is being built in some far away nook of the city like Dranoff's riverfront tower...
It depends on the city. There isn't any specific document that states whether or not you have to keep the sidewalk open.

For example the renovation project at broad and chestnut above Capital Grille. The city required the sidewalk to remain open during construction so there was a $200,000 premium that had to be absorbed in order to scaffold off the building to create platforms on each floor for the hoist.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
The issue of closing off sidewalks is something Mayor Kenney mentioned during his campaign so I would expect to see some policy changes on this in the next few years.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Well, the splotchy glass color pattern isn't nearly as ugly as it was in the renderings, but it still looks awkward. I get the feeling that it's going to look really dated in 5 years. But the horrible garage and lack of ambition in terms of density are still the two worst things about this building. Oh well, they can't all be winners.
I agree, although a lot of stuff like this will be dated in 5 years. Right now wacky glass skins seem to be a way to gussy up otherwise boring glass boxes. I think the density is fine as far as this building is concerned, although I could have sworn it was going to be taller. I guess it's just dwarfed because it's next to the Blue Cross building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive