HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
^ Is the first picture real or an imagined "what could be" rendering?
I'm not really sure. It came up in a google search & links to another site that looks like a clone of ssp.com. the page also shows work in what appears to be some city in asia...india. Even not wealthy countries are getting into the act?

However, the photo I posted does appear to be a street somewhere in southern calif....possibly the san diego, la jolla area. that city has been doing a large amt of undergrounding over the past 10 yrs.

hint, hint, ppl in charge of LA.

Would be nice if locals managing LA took a page from other cities. Forget Paris, London or hong kong...how about cities even in India?

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...postcount=5134

thought I should add this since I still recall this tragedy....the reporter survived but she lost her hands.....getting rid of overhead isn't merely a matter of making things look better. Overhead power lines have also caused major brush fires in LA over the past decades.

Quote:
A veteran television news reporter assigned to cover a news conference in Hollywood was seriously burned Monday when the microwave transmitter extending from a KABC van came too close to a 34,500-volt power line and caused an explosion. The reporter, Adrienne Alpert, 48, was airlifted to Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks, where doctors performed emergency surgery to restore blood flow to burn areas over 25% of her body.

The accident occurred about 9:45 a.m. as Alpert and MacKenzie were setting up for a live broadcast from the corner of Santa Monica Boulevard and Gordon Street, near the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. According to witnesses, Alpert was inside the van as the transmitter was being raised several feet. MacKenzie was helping position the transmitter when it touched or came near a high-voltage wire. That created a power arc that triggered an explosion, authorities said.

MacKenzie, the van's driver and a 20-year veteran at KABC, was in tears and asked him to help Alpert, whose hands and feet were severely burned.

"I started crying when I saw [Alpert], because I couldn't do anything" said Petrosyan, who was uncertain if he should touch her.

Petrosyan said Alpert moaned, "I can't breathe. . . . I don't want to die."

Last edited by citywatch; Jun 10, 2019 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:56 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Power lines are just one part of the issue. How about the cheap/dated architecture, streets/sidewalks in disrepair, litter everywhere, etc. Smaller, less "glamorous" cities in middle America aren't afflicted with these issues to nearly the same degree.

And the shabbiness mostly applies to the city of LA. Santa Monica, Culver City, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, and even Long Beach look more put-together.

I attribute the problem to two things:

1) LA was poorly designed/built from the start, never having the grandeur of cities like St. Louis or Cincinnati, let alone New York or Chicago.

2) The city of LA is simply poor. We have roughly 45% of the population of NYC, yet 1/8th its fiscal budget (although NYC imposes a personal income tax, while LA doesn't).

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 7:03 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

And since we're complaining about design, I really can't stand how sidewalk trees are left with dirt patches (if they're not paved over with concrete, which is worse) instead of tree grates:

treegrate.com

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
And the shabbiness mostly applies to the city of LA. Santa Monica, Culver City, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, and even Long Beach look more put-together.

Interesting timing. This just came out today about the main city north of dtla:

Quote:
The Pasadena City Council Monday will consider the Department of Water and Power’s request to temporarily suspend collection of the underground utility surtax that bankrolls the City’s long-term undergrounding project, as a way of offsetting the rates increases it has proposed.

The Department is under pressure to raise rates and has requested that collection of the undergrounding surtax be suspended for a while, as a way of reducing the burden on the City’s ratepayers.

The surtax costs each Pasadenan $44 a year on average and the fund into which it is submitted posts a robust $50 million positive balance which, under the proposal, would continue to finance undergrounding projects.

The surtax was passed in 1966 to fund the undergrounding of utility lines so as to beautify Pasadena.

The overall project has an estimated $2 billion price tag; approximately $10 million per mile. Presently, some 200 miles of power lines still need to be buried.

The drawdown on the fund over the years has been glacial. In fact, without the suspension of surtax collection, staff said it would take 10 years to exhaust.

Some years ago the fund’s consistently healthy balance sheet caught the eye of city employee Danny Wooten, and his accomplice Tyrone Collins, and was looted by the duo of $6 million before anybody noticed.

^ That runs counter to ppl who say doing such work is too costly, will cause a city to struggle to fund it, so it isn't feasible. Or that ratepayers will go broke per yr trying to cover it.

Pasadena has had so much money for undergrounding, they not only haven't had UG projs hurting from a lack of enough $$, they've had so much pooled money, it ended up embezzled.

Quote:
Unless they pay attention to the fine print on their utility bills, where one line item for decades has been an undergrounding fund to the tune of about $11 a month per household, many Pasadenans had not been aware of the effort to bring power lines down from their unsightly poles until the embezzlement scandal hit.

Now, a past middle manager in the Department of Water and Power is in jail awaiting trial on charges of stealing over $6 million from the fund by writing phony checks on its huge balance.

That balance got into the tens of millions because in fact little work has been done for more than 20 years on the plan, currently under review, to put almost all of the city’s power lines underground. Some tony residential neighborhoods got the work done by the 1980s, so that their views of the mountains and the city have long been unmarred by strings of wiring.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti recently told the editorial board that in his city it was costing millions of dollars a block to do the work in commercial districts. But critics say the L.A. scheme was really blocked by the DWP union, whose members had less work to do after windstorms with wires safely underground.

After all these years of citizens paying in, we still think that the city ought to invest that money in clearing the air of wires in every neighborhood possible.

Spend those millions before some embezzler strikes again.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:28 AM

Tonight: Academy Square - high rise portion from Cahuenga

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:37 AM

also tonight: Rise Cahuenga & Fountain

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 1:55 AM

Today: The Godfrey

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 6:43 PM

That's such a crisp picture that I almost can't tell if it's a rendering or a real photo

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 11:11 PM

Tuesday: Netflix Square on Vine...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 11:50 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great updates, kolchak!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 10:26 PM

Thanks! One more - Edition West Hollywood Wednesday-

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 12:09 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Anthony Anderson is not impressed.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 3:15 AM
Paramoderator

i actually really like the edition hotel, though that is an underwhelming angle

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 1:39 AM

I agree, it turned out very nice and the landscaping in front is impressive. Those 2 small white buildings must be what Anthony Anderson is looking at in disdain as they are quite shabby in comparison.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 1:46 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ My comment was purely in jest. I like the building too. I also like the 3-story white building to the left (with the parking sign on it). It's an example of Beaux Arts-era (20's, 30's) LA commercial buildings outside of the Historic Core (there's another great example on Wilshire just west of Fairfax. I'd like to keep that one, but the one between the Edition and it (on the right) is free to go in my opinion. Along with that parking lot.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 5:08 PM
Paramoderator

not to be pedantic but i'm pretty sure that's hollywood regency

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 4:09 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ My "beaux arts" classification was honestly because it was hard to classify, but has a distinct style. Not as familiar with Hollywood regency, but I can see some of the characteristics after some good ole' Googlin.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:18 PM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 1:53 AM
Paramoderator

shout out to this very refined infill development going up in west ho. peep the curved windows. details matter!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 12:49 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations