HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasi View Post
I've always hoped that something like the Waldorf or Bridgeman's View would end up there.Anything less than 650' would be criminal.
I didn't mean tall. But that would sure be welcome too! Not sure it's in the cards (though certainly a more realistic spot for a project like Bridgeman's than Northern Liberties)

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasi View Post
I've always hoped that something like the Waldorf or Bridgeman's View would end up there.Anything less than 650' would be criminal.
Kind of hyperbole I think.

Realistically, it's pretty unlikely anything close to 650’ will get built there.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Kind of hyperbole I think.

Realistically, it's pretty unlikely anything close to 650’ will get built there.
True, especially given the present owners track record.But there were plans many moons ago that did have 2 tall buildings on that site, so you never know.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 8:49 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
The worst thing about the gallery has nothing to do with the tenants- its really the fact that the facade facing Market is mostly a blank wall. It is truly hard to understand what they were thinking in the 70s when they designed the exterior of the building. Its like having a 3 story warehouse structure sitting in the middle of downtown.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
The 70s/80s created a complete urban travesty. And here we are today, looking forward, creating a new great urban area in the city of Philadelphia.

Congrats.
Amen gentlemen. Amen. I'd even group the 50's and 60's, along with the 70s/80s. WTF were they thinking back then? And why?

Nothing hurts more than things like I-95 getting pushed through some of the most historic blocks in the country.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Amen gentlemen. Amen. I'd even group the 50's and 60's, along with the 70s/80s. WTF were they thinking back then? And why?

Nothing hurts more than things like I-95 getting pushed through some of the most historic blocks in the country.
Building highways right at our rivers (and other wholly inappropriate spots) and cutting our rivers off from the city was the worst possible city planning. It is costing a fortune to try and mitigate. Even the capping of small areas is expensive, and a true global solution (like a Boston-style dig) is hugely expensive. Oh, well. Onward and upward (literally!)

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
The worst thing about the gallery has nothing to do with the tenants- its really the fact that the facade facing Market is mostly a blank wall. It is truly hard to understand what they were thinking in the 70s when they designed the exterior of the building. Its like having a 3 story warehouse structure sitting in the middle of downtown. I am definitely curious about how much public money PREIT is going to ask for.
The gallery will always be a failure so long as the stores don't have windows facing the street.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
The gallery will always be a failure so long as the stores don't have windows facing the street.
Good thing PREIT's plans will change that:

http://phillyurbanliving.blogspot.co.../the%20gallery

Anyhow, I feel we have gotten derailed. Largely my fault by bringing up the Gallery and Philadelphia's misuse of its rivers (a pet peeve of mine). Let's bring the thread back to talk of the East Market proposal (Girard Square).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 2:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Good thing PREIT's plans will change that:

http://phillyurbanliving.blogspot.co.../the%20gallery

Anyhow, I feel we have gotten derailed. Largely my fault by bringing up the Gallery and Philadelphia's misuse of its rivers (a pet peeve of mine). Let's bring the thread back to talk of the East Market proposal (Girard Square).
well not much new there other than the building slowly disappearing.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 11:48 PM

PhillyDeals: Mom's Organic Market planned for made-over East Market

Quote:
Mom's Organic Market, a Maryland-based chain, is planning a new Center City grocery at 34 S. 11th St. in Philadelphia's new East Market development.

Like a more intimate Whole Foods fit into a Trader Joe's-sized 16,000 square-foot space, Mom's is designed to help draw the young and retired professionals to the four-acre block of planned new and renovated stores, apartments, offices, bars and restaurants bounded by Market, Chestnut, 11th, and 12th Streets.

East Market's investors include National Real Estate Advisors L.L.C., a Washington-based manager for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers' pension plan, plus local investors Joss Realty Partners, Young Capital L.L.C., and SSH Real Estate.

Mom's is the project's first retail tenant.

"It's important for us to get a grocer," said Daniel Killinger, East Market's development director. Especially a higher-end organic grocer: "Their mission is right in line with our target market, people who live, work, and shop here."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...7GajWL8STcy.99

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
PhillyDeals: Mom's Organic Market planned for made-over East Market

The market is great news, but that rendering is even better news. That looks hot! The entire project is really smart design and great urbanism. The Gallery could learn a thing or two.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
The market is great news, but that rendering is even better news. That looks hot! The entire project is really smart design and great urbanism. The Gallery could learn a thing or two.
Does anyone know if they really plan on putting cobblestone down on 13th (that is 13th, right?)? Bruges is full of real cobblestone streets and it's really nice.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:33 AM

I believe that's Ludlow St. between 11th and 12th. It will run between the Warehouse and East Market.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guipos08 View Post
I believe that's Ludlow St. between 11th and 12th. It will run between the Warehouse and East Market.
Maybe I don't understand the perspective of the rendering. The street in the foreground is 11th? With Ludlow as the pedestrian gap between the buildings? It's this view, right? (With the direction of traffic on 11th Street swapped?) https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9510...Cw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Maybe I don't understand the perspective of the rendering. The street in the foreground is 11th? With Ludlow as the pedestrian gap between the buildings? It's this view, right? (With the direction of traffic on 11th Street swapped?) https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9510...Cw!2e0!6m1!1e1
I think the street with the two cars is Ludlow heading in the direction of 11th.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:24 AM

Quote:
I think the street with the two cars is Ludlow heading in the direction of 11th.
Oh, huh. I didn't realize there was a gap between the buildings down Ludlow that large to walk down. Interesting..

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Oh, huh. I didn't realize there was a gap between the buildings down Ludlow that large to walk down. Interesting..
The area infront of the store where all the pedestrians are is supposed to be part of the chesnut walk. That will run beween the warehouse and the Girard building thru the middle of East Market.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:56 AM

Quote:
The area infront of the store where all the pedestrians are is supposed to be part of the chesnut walk. That will run beween the warehouse and the Girard building thru the middle of East Market.
Ah ok, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if they really plan on putting cobblestone down on 13th (that is 13th, right?)? Bruges is full of real cobblestone streets and it's really nice.
Not to get TOO hypertechnical, but that doesn't appear to me to be cobblestone in the rendering. More like a herringbone paver pattern, perhaps even dry-laid (similar to what you find in modern suburban patios, walkways, etc.). Still nice, but not nearly as quaint--or EXPENSIVE--as true cobblestone, or even the mortared Belgian block (both literally and nominally!) in the photo of Bruges you posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobblestone

Just didn't want you to get your hopes up too much, only to have them cruelly dashed by the ultimate reality.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Not to get TOO hypertechnical, but that doesn't appear to me to be cobblestone in the rendering. More like a herringbone paver pattern, perhaps even dry-laid (similar to what you find in modern suburban patios, walkways, etc.). Still nice, but not nearly as quaint--or EXPENSIVE--as true cobblestone, or even the mortared Belgian block (both literally and nominally!) in the photo of Bruges you posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobblestone

Just didn't want you to get your hopes up too much, only to have them cruelly dashed by the ultimate reality.
Real cobblesone is expensive. Yes. And beautiful. For sure. But not particularly modern. I'm fine with herringbone here if that's what they do. Philly does have real cobblestone streets in Old City.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 5:14 AM

The street in the European town is not paved with cobblestone but cut blocks called Belgian Block. It's what many Philadelphia streets in the latter part of the 19th century were paved with.

Belgian Block was/is commonly referred to as cobblestone. Real cobblestone is used in some parts of Society Hill authenticating the first paving material used in streets during the colonial and federal periods.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive