HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 2:52 AM

ok, I hate to be so negative about the WTC . .
there are positive aspects to its architecture . .
So, only positives . . I adore the X-bracing on three . .
the different heights of its north and south segments . . giving it an asymmetry . .
making for a proportionally pleasing overall skyscraper form . .

the few sight lines looking up from the street, where you see sky between 2 & 3 . .
it's the single side-street wide sliver of space between giants . .
similar to the tall thin space we'll see between 220 CPS & CPT . .
I've always been ok with T.4's minimal simplicity. .
'cause it was the shortest giant . . deferring to the taller, grander towers . .

and thank God, of course, for T.One . . first equaling the height of the twins . .
for the building's taper . . which you see from the NE, NW, SE, & SW . .
the observatory, & even the colossal, disproportionately tall, weird, bumpy stick . .
I'd love some blue lights around the rings at night though . .
so, for the things that you've done right, Larry . . thanks.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Among the most ridiculous of posts I've seen on this website, and there have been many.

The spires are gone because it's a different design. It's not the first time the design was altered.
----"The building was conceived as part of the larger World Trade Center master plan, which the new design for 200 Greenwich will also respect. Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners is designing 175 Greenwich, and the firm sent along the following statement:

“The original intention of the masts on 3 WTC was that they would express the structure of the building as it stretched towards the sky. But as the design developed, it became clear that they did not achieve this objective, and did not contribute to the aesthetic impact or functioning of the building,” the architects said in a statement cited by YIMBY. “When we reviewed 3 WTC in relation to the new design of 2 WTC, we realized the two buildings complemented each other and the Libeskind Master Plan best without the masts. Therefore, they are not included in the final design.” "-----

http://www.yimbynews.com/2015/06/des...de-center.html

Affirming hudson's point, they were removed in response to 2WTC's new design. Though to be fair clearly they were iffy on them beforehand, and were looking for an excuse to remove them. The spires definitely worked better when the design had its x bracing and they were closer together.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Among the most ridiculous of posts I've seen on this website, and there have been many.
nice to know.

Quote:
The spires are gone because it's a different design. It's not the first time the design was altered.
a different design does not happen without a reason. The first redesign was value engineering, plain and simple. This was because they didn't have the money to continue construction and they wanted to eliminate extra costs. They simplified the exterior and lowered the height. The removal of the spires is seemingly without reason, out of the context that the design of 2 WTC was completely overhauled. Maybe the plan was to contribute the cost of constructing the spires towards the construction of 2 WTC. That's mere speculation. The fact is, they were apart of the second design, but they were removed when BIG's 2 WTC came into the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners is designing 175 Greenwich, and the firm sent along the following statement:
[...]
“When we reviewed 3 WTC in relation to the new design of 2 WTC, we realized the two buildings complemented each other and the Libeskind Master Plan best without the masts. Therefore, they are not included in the final design.”

http://www.yimbynews.com/2015/06/des...de-center.html

Affirming hudson's point, they were removed in response to 2WTC's new design. Though to be fair clearly they were iffy on them beforehand, and were looking for an excuse to remove them. The spires definitely worked better when the design had its x bracing and they were closer together.
right, and just for the record, this is the exact quote which I based my post off of. I neglected to include it.

Last edited by Hudson11; Feb 15, 2017 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 7:49 PM

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 1:12 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pic by me.

3 WTC from afar.

WTC 3 + Hayden 2-15-17 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
ok, I hate to be so negative about the WTC . .
there are positive aspects to its architecture . .
So, only positives . . I adore the X-bracing on three . .
the different heights of its north and south segments . . giving it an asymmetry . .
making for a proportionally pleasing overall skyscraper form . .

the few sight lines looking up from the street, where you see sky between 2 & 3 . .
it's the single side-street wide sliver of space between giants . .
similar to the tall thin space we'll see between 220 CPS & CPT . .
I've always been ok with T.4's minimal simplicity. .
'cause it was the shortest giant . . deferring to the taller, grander towers . .

and thank God, of course, for T.One . . first equaling the height of the twins . .
for the building's taper . . which you see from the NE, NW, SE, & SW . .
the observatory, & even the colossal, disproportionately tall, weird, bumpy stick . .
I'd love some blue lights around the rings at night though . .
so, for the things that you've done right, Larry . . thanks.

The spire debacle/travesty/eyesore is all Durst's fault.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 1:26 PM
New Yorker for life

I don't think about it much, because its the view that's not most often talked about, but watching channel 7 news with the backdrop of the Empire State and WTC, I realize how much the pinstripes make this tower stand out. And it looks great!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 1:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

1 WTC im my experience, looks much taller at the same distance from Greenpoint, than viewing it from a similar distance in lets say NJ. From the NE, viewing it at angle angle facing SW, it really shines.

Might be a perception issue, but 1 WTC for some reason looks taller when viewing it from a far than it does closer to it. Something with the angles on it gives it this illusion. It appears, from a far, very cylinder like, with the neck becoming narrower. Even though the dimensions remain the same.

Driving on the BQE, IMO, gives you the best view of this illusion. Which given the recent construction going on there, the traffic jams and delays are at least greeted with some extended skyline gazing moments.

Now with 3 WTC, viewing it from the Brooklyn Bridge IMO is the best angle.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 10:09 PM

My latest video which shows 3 World Trade Center as it looks like from here in Belle Harbor, Queens, pics to come BY: QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RPH6BtOuvE

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 6:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Snapped off drone clip. Also, note 111 Murray on the right.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 1:49 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 4:04 AM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 1:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Sweet baby Jesus...

I notice quite a few newbies making their presence known.

David Berry

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 2:23 AM

Nice!!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 2:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The view coming in on the upper level of the GWB, facing South, like in the pic (post #5133), is one of my favorite ways to come into the city. You just see trees, carved out conglomerate and shale while driving through Fort Lee, and all of the sudden, BAMMM, sudden and seizure inducing density if you look to your right.

That's the beauty of NJ. You go from a nature drive (like in Palisades Parkway) to just damn outright, uncensored density in a short period.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 1:05 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Uncensored Density would be a great name for an SSP band...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 2:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 1:18 AM

Lookin' good!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 2:03 AM
An Optimistic Realist

It's been a while since I last saw this building starting out. Glad to see the progress.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 5:50 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive