HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 2:05 PM
BANNED

Only 11,172 (announced) in Glendale last night to see the Blue Jackets!

Who in their right mind would put money into that team?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:01 PM

I think that's one of the unanswerable questions of our time, rr. It is no longer "where in the world is carmen san diego " but "where is the world are the Coyotes fans?"

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Only 11,172 (announced) in Glendale last night to see the Blue Jackets!

Who in their right mind would put money into that team?
What, you've heard of someone putting their own money into that team? News to me...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 5:50 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
What, you've heard of someone putting their own money into that team? News to me...
Well, the City of Glendale is putting their own money into the team.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Well, the City of Glendale is putting their own money into the team.
Really? I thought it was taxpayer money...

oh wait.. "the city of"

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 7:22 PM

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../17747156.html

Friday, March 25, 2011

* Email Alerts
* Mobile Site
* RSS Feeds
* Subscriber Services

TorontoA few clouds-3°Tomorrow »Sunny-3°/-11°Change city
Sports Hockey
Cyber stare-down over Coyotes

Duelling G’s singing different tunes in Arizona

By PAUL FRIESEN, QMI Agency

So what’s next?

Bettman is guarding the drop-dead date like a state secret.

Ironically, the readiness of Winnipeg’s True North Sports and Entertainment is allowing this saga to drag on as long as it has.

True North has a front office, complete with a sales and marketing staff, ready to go. Any chance of relocating this franchise to another city, like Kansas City, in time for next season has long since passed.

So we wait, like we wait for the spring runoff. For the ice to break. For the flood of emotions that will follow, either way.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../17747156.html

So what’s next?

Bettman is guarding the drop-dead date like a state secret.

Ironically, the readiness of Winnipeg’s True North Sports and Entertainment is allowing this saga to drag on as long as it has.

True North has a front office, complete with a sales and marketing staff, ready to go. Any chance of relocating this franchise to another city, like Kansas City, in time for next season has long since passed.

So we wait, like we wait for the spring runoff. For the ice to break. For the flood of emotions that will follow, either way.
What I bolded & underlined, is what I think is the most significant thing to keep in mind.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
What I bolded & underlined, is what I think is the most significant thing to keep in mind.
Yep. Hence why I put the ... ... around that segment.
But alas, I forgot to underline / boldface. Thanks.
And this is precisely why we'll be waiting for the 'yotes to exit the playoffs.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 8:40 PM
BANNED

Video Link

I cannot wait to wear white again to an NHL game...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 1:03 AM
BANNED

so far no news is good news.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 4:33 PM
BANNED

I think the only thing that would keep the Coyotes in Phoenix at this point is if Bettman were to drop the price to something more realistic and appealing for any investor. The team for that market is over priced. But if Bettman were to drop the price his board might get mad at the fact the team could have got more money from others wanting to move the team. I think in the next few days it will come down to Bettman and his board deciding if they are willing to lose tens of millions to keep the team in the dessert. He has a lot of pride so I wouldn’t rule this out. Regardless though I still think we will get our team for this fall because even the NHL down deep when it involves their money won’t part with it for hockey in the dessert. Hope so anyhow.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 5:06 AM

Phoenix or Atlanta?

How about those Thrashers?

We now take a break from our regularly scheduled update on the soap opera that is the Phoenix Coyotes saga to talk about a team that could be on the move shortly after the NHL season ends.

Speculation is growing that the Atlanta Thrashers could be ready for relocation before the Phoenix Coyotes mess is settled.
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../17786866.html

---
Personally I hope there's more Canadian NHL teams, the more the merrier!

I'm just wondering from you folks in Winnipeg would think if you could get the Thrashers to Winnipeg, as they'll certainly miss the playoffs and by the sounds of it be available before the whole Phoenix fiasco is through?

You def must have sentiment towards the Jets/Coyotes franchise, but if Atlanta is available first what would your reaction be if True North put in a bid for the Thrashers?

Last edited by Pimpmasterdac; Mar 29, 2011 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 1:27 PM
BANNED

We want the Coyotes to return to their rightful home, Phoenix doesn't deserve an NHL hockey team!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 2:37 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
We want the Coyotes to return to their rightful home, Phoenix doesn't deserve an NHL hockey team!
You have to admit though, a fresh start would be something nice. Plus, you'd instantly have one of the most heated rivalries in all of pro sports (and it would be entirely one way, so it'd be really funny).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 3:23 PM
BANNED

Pimpmaster, I’ll wait a few more weeks while Phoenix enjoys their last playoff run. The standing agreement with our owners is for Phoenix thanks.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 4:43 PM
What could go wrong?

For me, the best scenario would be for TNSE to buy the Thrashers and leave the NHL and Phoenix up shits creek with their disaster in the desert.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
For me, the best scenario would be for TNSE to buy the Thrashers and leave the NHL and Phoenix up shits creek with their disaster in the desert.
I imagine that was the plan all along... but the NHL wasn't expecting the phoenix situation to drag on so long, and probably has TNSE on retainer to 'take the 'yotes' if need be.

The thrashers can probably 'thrash' around in Atlanta for another season or two before Quebec City / Kansas City / whomever gets their ducks in a row.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 6:00 PM

I'm not picky as long as its NHL

The main thing, is an NHL team will be very good for this city, specifically downtown.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 6:51 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I'm not picky as long as its NHL

The main thing, is an NHL team will be very good for this city, specifically downtown.
How exactly is an NHL team "good for downtown".

What happens to the businesses the other 320+ days of the year when there isn't a game at the MTS Centre?

While I agree that having an NHL team certainly has it's benefits. I don't see how one could say that it is good for downtown specifically. Most arenas are built outside of the core areas of most cities and its not like they attract a ton of businesses to be built in the area around the arena because of the team.

It certainly adds to potential revenues for nearby bars, restaurants and parking lots, however one could say the same would be the case for more concerts or other events at the MTS Centre and not just an NHL team specifically.

That said. I am looking forward to watching the Jets 2.0.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 7:11 PM

Its not that the return of the Jets will be the savior of downtown winnipeg does not mean it wont specifically benefit it. During the 320 days a year it will still be the same concerts and shows but having an nhl team is an additional 42-55 (if we win the cup) days a year in which the MTSC will be drawing 15000-20000 people downtown when most concerts/events dont draw capacity and beyond (with exceptions of the big big names). These 42-55 days are also during 6-7 month season which occur mostly during the winter in which most winnipeggers are hibernating in their homes and not moving about. You also comment on how most arenas are built outside the city core. Winnipeg is lucky to have a downtown arena that is accessible and will attract business (TNSE has major plans in store that are directly related to the team). Most of all it will give downtown itself a stronger identity by having a major league sports team that plays in it and makes it visible. Portage and mains fame as what most people identify downtown winnipeg with will change to the MTS Center, home of the jets

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan