HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 1:13 AM

i have a feeling that when my family returns to Kelowna in the summer of 2018 for our first vacation there since 2012 that the downtown may look significantly different !

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:24 PM

A big disappointment
Is the City of Kelowna getting what it wanted, or thought it was getting, from the Central Green development?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/new...-1-.htm#215746

Proposed 5 storey building along Richter, photo by Meiklejohn Architect

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:21 PM

Proposed Kelowna high-rise development downsized; company seeks council approval

A Kelowna real estate development company has made changes to a proposed huge project hoping to win the go-ahead of city council.

The Mission Group’s Aqua development includes about 350 residential units in three towers and street-front retail spaces next to the Hotel Eldorado on the lakefront. There would also be an adjoining indoor boat storage facility.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3955328/p...ncil-approval/

Photos by Mission Group

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:23 PM
HVAC guru

Still a pretty nice looking development for the waterfront.

Kelwona still desperately needs more attainable housing though, and this ain’t it

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 2:34 AM

Yep its an additional phase to the Prato Apartment buildings.
http://www.pratosquare.com/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 2:40 AM

oops forgot to quote. This was in response to the crane along Hwy 97 by ethel.

Drove through downtown today and the amount of construction starting up this Spring will be overwhelming. Ellis Parc signage is up, still no site prep work but states "move-in by 2019" as timeline. One water street is in full on pre-constriction mode with several pilings in the ground and almost all of the dirt pile removed. ELLA site is now fenced off and site prep is starting soon. Should be substantial construction skyline by Summer!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheener View Post
Yep its an additional phase to the Prato Apartment buildings.
http://www.pratosquare.com/
I was trying to figure out what he was talking about, Prato is not next to Old Spaghetti Factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Still a pretty nice looking development for the waterfront.

Kelwona still desperately needs more attainable housing though, and this ain’t it
I think it looks better, even if it would just blend in if it were in Vancouver.

There will never be affordable housing along the waterfront. Glenmore is probably the hub for new affordable housing developments right now.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 7:34 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I was trying to figure out what he was talking about, Prato is not next to Old Spaghetti

There will never be affordable housing along the waterfront. Glenmore is probably the hub for new affordable housing developments right now.
Of course not.. wasn’t implying that. Just seems that the primary focus in Kelowna residential development has been for higher end dwellings, I haven’t seen much that reflects affordability being built in the city. Maybe it just flies under the radar and I don’t spend enough time there to see it. But the prices on MLS seem to indicate rapidly deteriorating affordability in the Okanagan

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Of course not.. wasn’t implying that. Just seems that the primary focus in Kelowna residential development has been for higher end dwellings, I haven’t seen much that reflects affordability being built in the city. Maybe it just flies under the radar and I don’t spend enough time there to see it. But the prices on MLS seem to indicate rapidly deteriorating affordability in the Okanagan
Yea. Way more stock of affordable housing in Vernon and Penticton. Half of my wife's coworkers live in Vernon. But I think where lack of affordable housing hits hardest is a lack of affordable rentals. I know of one new BC Housing project for family housing in Rutland. They're also trying to build some single occupancy rooms for the homeless which is facing massive backclash from residents and business owners.

Really, the developers should've started building back in 2014 but everyone was still hesitant after what happened in 2008-09 that lead to five years of excess inventory of homes in the area, so even though things started boom in 2015, it wasn't until 2016 when they started building.

BTW, you heard of Cambridge House on Harvey and Ethel? It's all sold out but 80% of the development was 350 sq ft microsuites selling for between $99k and $169k.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:56 AM

Looks like Mission Group is rezoning part of the Bargain Shop property for use as a 24 storey tower: http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...aul%201471.pdf

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:58 AM

and a new 12 hotel on Truswell Road: http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...854%203858.pdf

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:12 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
BTW, you heard of Cambridge House on Harvey and Ethel? It's all sold out but 80% of the development was 350 sq ft microsuites selling for between $99k and $169k.
Just looked it up, that's right around the corner from our old house in college. Great location right next to the downtown, we loved living there (house being a dump notwithstanding)

Interesting to see this type of development in Kelowna. Other, larger cities like Edmonton don't seem to be able to get these projects to work... then again Edmonton doesn't have the affordability problem that Kelowna does. At that price point & location how can you lose ?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo Fan View Post
and a new 12 hotel on Truswell Road: http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...854%203858.pdf
I had to check where the Aqua development was in relation. http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...Submission.pdf

Funny there's one hold out property in between.

Quote:
Just looked it up, that's right around the corner from our old house in college. Great location right next to the downtown, we loved living there (house being a dump notwithstanding)

Interesting to see this type of development in Kelowna. Other, larger cities like Edmonton don't seem to be able to get these projects to work... then again Edmonton doesn't have the affordability problem that Kelowna does. At that price point & location how can you lose ?
It would have been, I should have bought one.

Edmonton's on the back of our mind. I could sell my older townhouse in Kelowna and get a nice townhome, even an older house, in Edmonton. It's just so cold there, so I tolerate our high real estate prices.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 10:18 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:

Edmonton's on the back of our mind. I could sell my older townhouse in Kelowna and get a nice townhome, even an older house, in Edmonton. It's just so cold there, so I tolerate our high real estate prices.
You wouldn't have liked it these past few days, that's for sure. -40 with the windchill

Based on what I've seen, housing is about twice as expensive in Kelowna as it is in Edmonton, maybe closer to 2.5x as expensive. You get a lot for your money here there's no doubt.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't have liked it these past few days, that's for sure. -40 with the windchill

Based on what I've seen, housing is about twice as expensive in Kelowna as it is in Edmonton, maybe closer to 2.5x as expensive. You get a lot for your money here there's no doubt.
I'm originally from Edmonton and I have family there so I would tolerate Edmonton. My main concern though is that I'm already itching to ride my motorcycle and I really hope it's an early spring so I can ride in mid to late February. I was in agony last year not being able to ride until the second week of March. What will that be like in Edmonton? lol.

I know of several colleagues who have made the move back to Alberta however and it is somewhat tempting, but we love it in Kelowna and are trying to make it work.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:35 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
I'm originally from Edmonton and I have family there so I would tolerate Edmonton. My main concern though is that I'm already itching to ride my motorcycle and I really hope it's an early spring so I can ride in mid to late February. I was in agony last year not being able to ride until the second week of March. What will that be like in Edmonton? lol.

I know of several colleagues who have made the move back to Alberta however and it is somewhat tempting, but we love it in Kelowna and are trying to make it work.
Well two years ago we got lucky and I was able to insure my Volvo on March 24th. So that's about the earliest you'd ever get out on a bike, but most years it's more like mid-late April before they clear all the crap off the roads.

I'm originally from Vernon, born & raised, have been away since 1999, and I'm about ready to move back. Can't for a little bit though as the better half is a few years from a gold plated pension, but once that happens we are out of here. I miss the lakes, close proximity to world class skiing, summer weather (Although I will say Edmonton summers are really nice, just way too short) Plus a number of old friends have been trickling back to the Okanagan from the big cities over the past few years. In due time...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 4:22 PM

I think I'd hate the long commutes more than the long winter. I'm too spoiled by my 5-12 minute commute now.

Oh I forgot, I took a walk on the John Hindle Drive extension last month. It's too bad they're waiting until this summer to open it as it as well as Academy Way is in pretty good shape, other than the connections to existing roads at either end.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 6:41 PM

More student housing
City of Kelowna has approved a four and a half storey development aimed at students in Rutland at the corner of McIntosh Rd and McDougall Rd, consisting of 44 micro suites, 12 two plus den, and 4 four bedroom suites. The developer is working with OGO Car Share to have a fleet of vehicles there which will be a first for Rutland. UBC Okanagan is approximately 7km away or a 24 minute bus or bicycle ride.

Article: https://www.castanet.net/edition/new...-1-.htm#216367
(Article notes an incorrect number of units unless the plans have changed since development permit)

Plans in development permit application: http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...20Rd%20360.pdf

Central Green project a go
City of Kelowna has approved a four storey 55 unit strata development on Central Green. This will be the final strata building on the site with all the remaining buildings being built for the rental market.

Article: https://www.castanet.net/edition/new...-1-.htm#216358

Plans in development permit application: http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...0St%201800.pdf

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 6:55 PM
HVAC guru

^ for a student res. that's pretty nice actually

It's also nice to see Rutland getting some attention. Back when I lived there it didn't have a great reputation.

It's too bad that Central Green project couldn't have been something more, that's a very prominent corner

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 9:48 PM

Quote:
^ for a student res. that's pretty nice actually

It's also nice to see Rutland getting some attention. Back when I lived there it didn't have a great reputation.

It's too bad that Central Green project couldn't have been something more, that's a very prominent corner
Rutland still doesn't! I live in Rutland though and like Surrey where I lived in a few years ago, I think the reputation is a bit overblown.

One condo along Hwy 33 was recently completed, there's a huge piece of land on Hwy 33 and Gerstmar which is currently being excavated. The development permit plans are here and I hope there's been improvements to the plans in the last couple of years because honestly it looks like something designed in the late 80s.

http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...9-08-2015).pdf

Other than that, lots of applications for townhouses and condos in Rutland. I'm amazed by how big a lot of the single family home lots are and fitting 36 townhomes where three single dwelling homes used to be is a huge deal for densifying Rutland while providing more housing for the middle class. I'm a huge fan of townhomes, I used to live in Fleetwood and townhomes have densified that area to the point where you need three elementary schools in a 1km radius with all the families. We don't need huge condos for density. This townhome development on the corner of Leathead Rd and Fleming Rd is the example I'm referring to:

http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...%201075%20.pdf

Finally, while I'm also a bit disappointed Central Green didn't become something more, it's fairly affordable considering its proximity to downtown so I don't think it's a huge loss. The four to five storey wood buildings means they can get built faster and provide immediate relief to Kelowna's housing shortage. The One Water Streets and Aquas are sexy for the city but 80% of us can't afford it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia