HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:00 AM

Newest project connect map. Statesman article makes it sound like light rail is off the table and it’s all about electric buses in dedicated bus lanes.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Newest project connect map. Statesman article makes it sound like light rail is off the table and it’s all about electric buses in dedicated bus lanes.

20 years from now, future Austinites will look back in disbelief that we didn't do more when we could have. It really is a shame.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
20 years from now, future Austinites will look back in disbelief that we didn't do more when we could have. It really is a shame.
What more are you suggesting, given that it'll be challenging to fund even this?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
What more are you suggesting, given that it'll be challenging to fund even this?
Considering this technology (ART) is pie in the sky, I think it's ridiculous to base our future transit policy around it. We need real transit options with proven, high-capacity tech. Austin will continue to grow and sprawl unless action is taken now.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:30 PM

I like this plan, personally. It's great that they are going for a city wide system, rather than the disjointed piecemeal plans of the past. With the 2020 election likely bringing a transit friendly demographic to the polls, it's huge to make this a shit or get off the pot plan. At some point you either want transit in Austin or not.

I'm ok with bus instead of train. To me the biggest issues with transit in Austin are, in order, 1.) It should go where people want to go, 2.) It must be able to skip traffic, and 3.) It should have high enough frequency to allow for walk-up users and make transfers reasonable. I think busses with dedicated lanes can achieve that.

I like the blue and orange line approach. We are getting service to the airport, downtown, and the highest density corridors in the city. While I'm skeptical of the cost benefit for commuter rail in Austin, I like that the green line provides downtown access for a lot of affordable housing.

If I have a critique it's the domain being left out on the orange line. That's becoming a major employment and entertainment center, and the service provided by the red line is limited. I also hope that they are serious about "transit priority treatment". I think every minute shaved off a bus trip is huge for incentivizing people to actively choose it over driving.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Considering this technology (ART) is pie in the sky, I think it's ridiculous to base our future transit policy around it. We need real transit options with proven, high-capacity tech. Austin will continue to grow and sprawl unless action is taken now.
If we focused on implementing and improving transportation solutions of the past Henry Ford would've just made a faster horse. If we want to be a city of the future and utilize technology in our most needed infrastructure issues, we need to think outside of the box. What we're seeing is the start of Capital Metro's / Austin's most forward-thinking traffic solution in decades. I rather waste 2-3 years of testing and developing ART than to start on a lightrail project that wouldn't be ready until the mid/late 20s.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 9:33 PM
Meh

The Montopolis Bridge in East Austin will be converted to pedestrian and bike only. That's some good news. That bridge is no fun to cross even with the pedestrian path it has now. The traffic is really flying on that bridge and the cars feel a lot closer than they probably really are. Plus, the bridge wiggles quite a bit. I noticed that the last time I was on it taking pics of the skyline. The wiggle is normal, but that combined with how close the cars were and how fast they were going made it unnerving.

https://www.kxan.com/news/traffic/th...nes/1049805176

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 6:13 AM
World Traveler

^^ That threw me for a loop at first as I read the article. I was thinking to myself, "Wait, they've already started that...why are they talking about it as if it's a new project?" Then I saw that the article is from 2016.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
^^ That threw me for a loop at first as I read the article. I was thinking to myself, "Wait, they've already started that...why are they talking about it as if it's a new project?" Then I saw that the article is from 2016.
The news is the bridge officially closed to vechicle traffic today. It’ll still be some time before people can walk and bike in the old car lanes but the sidewalks are still open.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 6:23 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The news is the bridge officially closed to vechicle traffic today. It’ll still be some time before people can walk and bike in the old car lanes but the sidewalks are still open.
Great, thanks for the update! I'll need to borrow a bike and ride around a bit when I come back to Austin next. Any idea on the timeline for this particular crossing to be open to bikes and pedestrians only?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Great, thanks for the update! I'll need to borrow a bike and ride around a bit when I come back to Austin next. Any idea on the timeline for this particular crossing to be open to bikes and pedestrians only?
No idea. Contractor is behind schedule and they have bigger priorities.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 1:15 PM

Yeah, they're still recommending sidewalks only.

https://twitter.com/183South/status/1049442433027756032

Though I'm guessing if no one is actively working, no one would stop you.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 2:29 PM

Ran across this in random internet searching, and thought others might be interested.

Apparently TxDot did a study on Austin to Houston passenger rail in 2011. In part on CapMetro's line (the green line).

https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdo...ston_final.pdf

Still reading through, and I'm not sure what's changed in the past 7 years (to possibly preclude this) but another potential reason to _eventually_ add service to the green line.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Ran across this in random internet searching, and thought others might be interested.

Apparently TxDot did a study on Austin to Houston passenger rail in 2011. In part on CapMetro's line (the green line).

https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdo...ston_final.pdf

Still reading through, and I'm not sure what's changed in the past 7 years (to possibly preclude this) but another potential reason to _eventually_ add service to the green line.
Why don't they give us something we want/need like an interstate highway between Austin and Houston instead they look at a rail between here and there that nobody will ride.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
Why don't they give us something we want/need like an interstate highway between Austin and Houston instead they look at a rail between here and there that nobody will ride.
Because what Houston (and Austin) need is more cars driving into the city.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
I would ride it all the time. I go to Houston pretty frequently. Plus, we already have several highways to go from Austin to Houston.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:27 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
I would ride it all the time. I go to Houston pretty frequently. Plus, we already have several highways to go from Austin to Houston.
You and who else? Not enough people would ride that to make it feasible, IMHO. None of the highways are interstate standard the whole way, which is the economic growth generating infrastructure for intercity travel.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 6:07 PM

Would rather see 71 and 290 converted into I-10 north. Analogous to 35 east/west in DFW

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 6:34 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'd ride the train to Houston and my family members in Houston would definitely ride the train here to avoid driving. People seem to think there isn't demand. Not sure why? Many people would rather not sit for 3 hours in a car with frequent traffic slowdowns if there was a viable rail option.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 10:07 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Would rather see 71 and 290 converted into I-10 north. Analogous to 35 east/west in DFW
71 does not intersect with I-10 west of Austin...so, no on that one. 290 does, however. Nonetheless, I don't ever seeing that road, west of Austin, being turned into a freeway.

But, a spur of one of the interstates could be envisioned...something like I-110 or I-145 or I-169, etc. I think I-110 is already in use.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin