HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:23 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard View Post
"Blackberry" do you know something i dont?

Quote:
Nestled in an industrial area some 50 kilometers north of Toronto, the trucker is an early adopter of a new BlackBerry fleet-tracking service known as Radar, which uses $400 boxes to collect and transmit information on movement, temperature and physical contents of Titanium's 1,300 truck trailers.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1901P1
Stock Under Valued

http://investorplace.com/2017/06/bla...nderestimated/

QNX - Self driving Cars / Infotainment system

https://www.usnews.com/news/technolo...qualcomm-chips

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 6:59 PM

I remember when blackberry was the ultra hyped thing in the uk, a number of years ago. It kept its high position for a significant number of years, boom years for the smart phone industry.
Then it seemed to lose its prominence when the touchscreens became dominant, and it hasn't really recovered since.
Blackberry still has a big brand name, and image so it could easily come back with a flurry with the right product and marketing.

I sense that the days of apple and samsung dominance of the smartphone market are coming to an end, so there is a opportunity for blackberry and others like htc and LG.

Nokia, motorrola, sony, and erikkson are totally finnished now i think, beyond recovery. Blackberry is not in that situation yet. Its impressive that canada has a company like blackberry to begin with.

The i phone takeover of the cell phone market is interesting when you consider that for many years american phone companies were nowhere, and cell phones arrived late in america and didnt become widespread among the general american population until years after they had done so with the populations of europe, uk/japan/australia etc.

European and asian companies dominated the industry as cell phones were more common in europe and asia, but as soon as the usa reached the same level of cell phone use and prevalence as europe/asia, american companies took over the global cell phone industry and basically created the smartphone revolution. The fact a canadian company played a big role in all that, and were leading it for some years with great innovations, is commendable.

Last edited by picard; Jun 13, 2017 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 8:34 PM
gettin' rich!

Blackberry isn't about the handsets, the play now will be business and automotive software.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 10:23 PM
gettin' rich!

I noticed my stocks were up a couple grand yesterday, and when I opened my Google News feed.

Warren Buffet did this

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 9:52 PM
gettin' rich!

Warren Buffett is converting his warrants on Bank of America.

They have received federal banking approval to hike the dividend 60% to 48¢.

The share price is 24 bucks US. That is crazy, and I will be buying shares tomorrow when the market opens.

I love dividends, its like it get money for nothing.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 4:47 PM
gettin' rich!

I'm accumulating Manulife Shares this week. (Purchased at beginning of week/and will do another purchase tomorrow) Last week, I purchased Bank of America, previous week Apple. Next few weeks, I'll continue to accumulate Manulife (for dividends) my tech play will be Facebook on the side.

I still horde cash to make a play on any market crash.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 3:59 PM
gettin' rich!

I only started investing seriously about a year and a half ago.

Set up my spreadsheet last week, checked the numbers investment income (including capital gains/business/dividend income) for the last 4 months was $1800 per month. No daytrading, no major risk taking.

My advice, follow Buffett.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 9:01 PM
gettin' rich!

I am now doing a slow accumulation of Apple Stocks. They have 260 billion in cash, so they are actually a bank as they have more money/assets than our 3 biggest banks combined, and can borrow cheaply for share buybacks and r&d. Secondly they will likely be better investors in technology patents and innovation than I ever will.

By this time next year I want to have over 25k in Apple, I will also account for the stock falling sub $100 dollars and will set aside a cash reserve to purchase on the dip should that happen.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 4:10 PM
gettin' rich!

Warren Buffet is loading up on Apple. He's not saying how much, but it will be disclosed in quarterly statements. $260 billion in cash and growing is a lot of money.

One of my big bank holdings - BNS, wasted $800 million to rename a stadium in Toronto, that money should have been spent buying a bank in Asia/South America or expanding its footprint in the Caribbean. That's just me speaking as a shareholder. The Canadian banking market is mature and saturated, not much room for growth.

I bought $1000 of BNS this week./ Will buy an additional stake in Apple next week.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:28 AM

All Marijuana stocks went up in the last 2 days, I wonder how long this bump will last.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:28 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I am done with tech stocks. I was burned with Nortel, then RIM, and also Bombardier. Blue fucking chip, with quarterly dividends, all the way.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:39 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
...I was burned with ... Bombardier.
Feb 2016 - under a dollar
Nov 2017 - over three

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 6:55 AM

Anyone know what would happen if I were to buy CanniMed Therapeutics Inc. stocks right now?
http://business.financialpost.com/in...rgest-takeover Could share value go up any further?
I already own some stock in Aurora Cannabis.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 7:02 AM

Things have been looking up for Bombardier lately, so I bought some!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Things have been looking up for Bombardier lately, so I bought some!
Hi. I don't post here often, but I'm interested in getting into this kind of investing myself. I do paper trading for now, but I'm a little apprehensive about getting "into the game" as Tony Robbins said. I don't know if you guys have some pointers on which online trading platforms here in Canada a person could use to benefit from. I was thinking TD Direct, but I'm trying to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion on which is the best for a small investor just starting out.
I agree that blue chip stocks that pay dividends are the way to go, and I have some companies in mind to start with.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 6:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Anyone know what would happen if I were to buy CanniMed Therapeutics Inc. stocks right now?
http://business.financialpost.com/in...rgest-takeover Could share value go up any further?
I already own some stock in Aurora Cannabis.
Stick with Aurora....CanniMed is too high anyway...not sure if they are or are not getting bought out. I went balls deep in 10 different Pot stocks since Friday. Lets all get rich off of "Potheads!"

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:05 PM
gettin' rich!

I bought 50 shares of Ricocan today, so exciting. This is my second stock purchase on this one for the month. I am saving for more Apple Shares, more Google and will purchase a very small portion of Nvidia just because I want to get into Artificial intelligence.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:11 PM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I am done with tech stocks. I was burned with Nortel, then RIM, and also Bombardier. Blue fucking chip, with quarterly dividends, all the way.
That is the same as my girlfriend with Nortel and Rim before I met her!

I am glad she bought a place in Vancouver though.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:29 PM

Been buying ANF ( Abercrombie and Fitch) on and off lately and bought 1,000 shares in late October. An analyst proceeded to downgrade the stock 2 days later and it was down $2,000+ US. Bought 1,000 more and still dropped a bit. Bought a 1,000 more. Week later now down $3,500 US.

However, stock was rising slowly over the last two weeks until last Friday when Q3 results came out. Up over $3.00 US. Sold it all and made $8,800 US, or $11,400 CDN....going to Mexico on Friday for two weeks...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Home Capital has a liquidity problem, not a default or credit problem. Expecting them to be the ones to crash the market is wishful(?) thinking.
Anybody else get in Home Capital when we were talking about it after the drop? I missed the peak but am still sitting pretty at an $8 entry point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada