HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
New smart park building by cibinel. Some pretty clear mulionless glass.
Must have gotten the engineer from Dreamscape.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 1:27 AM

Does anyone know what tenants will be occupying the new SmartPark building? When's it supposed to be built?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 2:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Does anyone know what tenants will be occupying the new SmartPark building? When's it supposed to be built?
Tenants - unknown, Should start in a month or so.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
If anyone's interested, open house board for the Chief Peguis Greenway extension are here. Nothing too exciting and overlaps with the CPT extension. Funny (amateur) images of buses and cars pasted into the design cross sections.

http://winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/pedes...ouseBoards.pdf

Main consultation page is here.
http://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/pedes...yExtension.stm
The city actually put in an asphalt path from the end of Kildonan Drive north (the little dead end section at the bottom of Essar) right to the settlers Bridge. The pathaway was built but is closed off.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 5:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 5:43 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Time to update that map!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 6:11 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Time to update that map!
was wondering how long that would take found it in my archives from around 2008

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The city actually put in an asphalt path from the end of Kildonan Drive north (the little dead end section at the bottom of Essar) right to the settlers Bridge. The pathaway was built but is closed off.
Interesting. I like going down to the old Bergen cut-off bridge and hanging out. Nice and quite in there. Good for a bike ride.

Edit: Ah yes, I see the path in Aug 6, 2016 Google (Digitalglobe)imagery. Maybe closed due to the new tower construction? Does it actually connect to anything, kind of hard to see. Looks like it ends right beside the tower.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 6:47 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

got dive bombed by a hawk on that bridge once not fun...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 6:49 PM

Haha funny. I find old, abandoned areas quite interesting. Relics of a day gone by. I stay off the old bridge though. No climbing for me, thanks.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I like going down to the old Bergen cut-off bridge and hanging out. Nice and quite in there. Good for a bike ride.

Edit: Ah yes, I see the path in Aug 6, 2016 Google (Digitalglobe)imagery. Maybe closed due to the new tower construction? Does it actually connect to anything, kind of hard to see. Looks like it ends right beside the tower.
I believe the pathway was put in sometime in June last year and suppose they kept it closed due to the new tower at Edgewood.

Hopefully they continue the trail and loop it along the river on the north side of Chief Peguis Trail.

The AT connection on the Settlers Bridge is extremely poor and needs to be upgraded as well.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 8:07 PM

Quote:
If anyone's interested, open house board for the Chief Peguis Greenway extension are here. Nothing too exciting and overlaps with the CPT extension. Funny (amateur) images of buses and cars pasted into the design cross sections.

http://winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/pedes...ouseBoards.pdf

Main consultation page is here.
http://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/pedes...yExtension.stm
This shows the plan. It's a bit odd this is separate from the CPT extension. Maybe they'll get lumped together at some point. Chief Red River bridge will be widened to three lanes (towards the middle) heading east, for sure. For the AT thing, they plan on widening the south sidewalk to accommodate cycling and walking.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:09 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 11:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Local
Demolition of Kapyong Barracks gets green light
Mia Rabson By: Mia Rabson
Posted: 01/20/2017 4:13 PM
OTTAWA — The demolition of Kapyong Barracks buildings will go ahead after neighbouring residents did not raise concerns about the plan.

"The Department of National Defence is planning to proceed with the demolition of onsite infrastructure at Kapyong Barracks, in order to reduce the dangers associated with its deteriorating state," wrote a spokesman for the department in an email to the Free Press. "A firm start date for demolition has not yet been established, but the demolition is anticipated to start in 2017, and will continue over several years, in several phases."

DND sent letters in mid-November to residents who live around the former military base at the corner of Grant Avenue and Kenaston Boulevard, noting it intended to destroy all 41 buildings, internal roadways, surface parking lots and underground utilities including electrical, gas, water and sewer lines starting in 2017. It was seeking public input as part of the environmental assessment that was required.

The time period for the public to comment ended before Christmas, and the department now will tender the demolition work. There is currently no listing on the government's Merx website, where all contract opportunities are to be advertised.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...411363875.html

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Local
Demolition of Kapyong Barracks gets green light
Mia Rabson By: Mia Rabson
Posted: 01/20/2017 4:13 PM
OTTAWA — The demolition of Kapyong Barracks buildings will go ahead after neighbouring residents did not raise concerns about the plan.

"The Department of National Defence is planning to proceed with the demolition of onsite infrastructure at Kapyong Barracks, in order to reduce the dangers associated with its deteriorating state," wrote a spokesman for the department in an email to the Free Press. "A firm start date for demolition has not yet been established, but the demolition is anticipated to start in 2017, and will continue over several years, in several phases."

DND sent letters in mid-November to residents who live around the former military base at the corner of Grant Avenue and Kenaston Boulevard, noting it intended to destroy all 41 buildings, internal roadways, surface parking lots and underground utilities including electrical, gas, water and sewer lines starting in 2017. It was seeking public input as part of the environmental assessment that was required.

The time period for the public to comment ended before Christmas, and the department now will tender the demolition work. There is currently no listing on the government's Merx website, where all contract opportunities are to be advertised.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...411363875.html
What a waste. Some of those buildings are still in good shape. And sad we as tax payers have been heating the place for over a decade now.

I can see a wonderful weed ridden landscape for 20 more years after this. When they finally agree on who owns it ......

And if I was the reserve that's after it. I'd want consultation as to what buildings should come down as I'm sure they could use them.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 6:54 PM

A lot of the buildings would be pretty useless to any other type of development, but what's sad is Lipsett Hall was completely redone like a year or two before shutting down, it was a really nice gym.

Was the huge grass area behind Lipsett Hall ever used for anything? It was weird to me even while active that the DOD had that huge swath with nothing on it.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:03 PM

at the rate the discussions are going, I see them demolishing the buildings and it sitting there for a few more decades. might as well turn it into a new naturalized park. dig a few ponds, lay a few trails down, let kenaston be widened. grant can become a true park avenue with Assiniboine forest, the park blvd. park and this! i say this only partly tongue in cheek

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
at the rate the discussions are going, I see them demolishing the buildings and it sitting there for a few more decades. might as well turn it into a new naturalized park. dig a few ponds, lay a few trails down, let kenaston be widened. grant can become a true park avenue with Assiniboine forest, the park blvd. park and this! i say this only partly tongue in cheek
I mean, that's a significant upgrade over what's there now, or likely will be for the next 7-10 years.

The one saving grace with this space is if the mess ever gets sorted out that it's ready for development, it'll get snapped up and built out very fast. This is PRIMMMMEEEE land.

I would really like to see the City start studying land use and making some sort of basic plan for the land (within the masterplan) so people know what to expect, and when it's time to develop, the legwork has already started in earnest.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:26 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
What a waste. Some of those buildings are still in good shape. And sad we as tax payers have been heating the place for over a decade now.

I can see a wonderful weed ridden landscape for 20 more years after this. When they finally agree on who owns it ......

And if I was the reserve that's after it. I'd want consultation as to what buildings should come down as I'm sure they could use them.
With any change in ownership the entire old central heating systems with their extensive asbestos insulated pipes would have to be removed and remediated. From what I understand since the decommisioning of the heating plant all of the temporary systems in the remaining heated buildings are not suitable for occupancy.

All of the water and sewer lines will also be removed as per government policy.

Last edited by Riverman; Jan 21, 2017 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:43 PM

I don't know how useful those buildings would be to anyone but this slow-motion pissing match with the federal government is really wasteful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan