HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 7:53 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Sometimes I can't help but wonder why it is so darn hard to deal with small towns along major (not just continental) highways.

Before
"Build the bypass because we don't want trucks on streets where our kids are playing." "Build an interchange, not just lights. Lights kill just like 1/16 near Portage La Prairie."

After
"Yo our local economy is suffering. Darn you who built the bypass and interchanges."

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Sometimes I can't help but wonder why it is so darn hard to deal with small towns along major (not just continental) highways.

Before
"Build the bypass because we don't want trucks on streets where our kids are playing." "Build an interchange, not just lights. Lights kill just like 1/16 near Portage La Prairie."

After
"Yo our local economy is suffering. Darn you who built the bypass and interchanges."

It was noted when they built the access in the 1990s? That it was to be temporary, now granted temporary was 20 odd years but hey they got around to it. Yea it sucks that you have to drive farther, yes emergency vehicles are going take a little longer (which every second counts) but the merge distance by which you require is no longer there if you add the access back. But how many people wee it that way. Some, this will likely never happen as the town is supplied by a more than adequate overpass. And the town of Balgonie will grow towards it.

It will sting some but likely never change.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Balgonie is getting a massive benefit from this project. They have their own 100 million dollar interchange. Did they even contribute a nickel of local taxes to that? It is a freeway. Access must be limited.
$100M not likely $35-40 at most but the point is still valid, and yes their tax dollars funded it. They also got a lot of local upgrades in lieu of the lost access and council has accepted them.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:36 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
It was noted when they built the access in the 1990s? That it was to be temporary, now granted temporary was 20 odd years but hey they got around to it. Yea it sucks that you have to drive farther, yes emergency vehicles are going take a little longer (which every second counts) but the merge distance by which you require is no longer there if you add the access back. But how many people wee it that way. Some, this will likely never happen as the town is supplied by a more than adequate overpass. And the town of Balgonie will grow towards it.

It will sting some but likely never change.
Now that you brought it up, I wonder if it were possible (in hindsight) to erect signs to ban turns off TCH onto Main Street and vice versa except for emergency vehicles. The pet peeve, though, is that RCMP basically needs to patrol that emergency access point 24/7 to make sure people don't take advantage of it.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Now that you brought it up, I wonder if it were possible (in hindsight) to erect signs to ban turns off TCH onto Main Street and vice versa except for emergency vehicles. The pet peeve, though, is that RCMP basically needs to patrol that emergency access point 24/7 to make sure people don't take advantage of it.
Give them the option, and people will just ignore the signs.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
That's a terrible idea. People wanted safer limited access highways and they finally get them and it's still not good enough. People just love to complain.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 4:23 AM

Does anybody know what that MASSIVE hole by the west construction site is being used for? Is it really just being used for all the dirt required for the overpasses in that section of construction?

Whatever it's being used for, does anybody know what they are going to do with that hole afterwards? It is very, VERY big.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Does anybody know what that MASSIVE hole by the west construction site is being used for? Is it really just being used for all the dirt required for the overpasses in that section of construction?

Whatever it's being used for, does anybody know what they are going to do with that hole afterwards? It is very, VERY big.
I believe there are at least three massive borrow pits. There is one in the east one in the South and one in the northwest. They are still looking for future uses for these I believe. I believe they ask for some proposals.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
I believe there are at least three massive borrow pits. There is one in the east one in the South and one in the northwest. They are still looking for future uses for these I believe. I believe they ask for some proposals.
The one by the WEst #1/Bypass intersection is directly adjacent to to the intersection, so I wonder how it could be used for anything.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:17 PM

It sure would be nice if they increase the speed limit crossing east over the first bridge on the #1. Plus in the left hand lane there is a massive dip just after the bridge. If they even increased the speed to 90 it would help. I can see a lot of accidents happening there with the right hand lane closing. People are in a hurry to get across to the middle or outside lanes and with people doing 70 it creates a huge congestment

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastaunik44 View Post
It sure would be nice if they increase the speed limit crossing east over the first bridge on the #1. Plus in the left hand lane there is a massive dip just after the bridge. If they even increased the speed to 90 it would help. I can see a lot of accidents happening there with the right hand lane closing. People are in a hurry to get across to the middle or outside lanes and with people doing 70 it creates a huge congestment
Which intersection are you talking about?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastaunik44 View Post
It's designed that speed because of the super elevation and the vertical curves. The speed of 90 is easily attainable but for safety 70 shall remain. However increasing the speed to 110 on the downslope would allow drivers more time to get to highway speed as there are some people who are afraid to accelerate till they see the faster sign. I really with there was a sign that said accelerate to 110 as soon as you cross the bridge.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
It's designed that speed because of the super elevation and the vertical curves. The speed of 90 is easily attainable but for safety 70 shall remain. However increasing the speed to 110 on the downslope would allow drivers more time to get to highway speed as there are some people who are afraid to accelerate till they see the faster sign. I really with there was a sign that said accelerate to 110 as soon as you cross the bridge.
That would make sense. Right now you have someone doing 70 I n the left lane and 120 in the right lane and cars cutting in and out and crossing the solid white lines, its amazing there hasn't been an accident yet

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 10:42 PM

I have no direct knowledge, but my observations lead me to believe that they are constructing a "weigh-in-motion" automated truck scale system in the northbound lanes of Highway 11 just north of the new Bypass interchange and past the Boggy Creek Bridge.

I assume the old site will be decommissioned. Does anyone have any info on this?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 4:54 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
I have no direct knowledge, but my observations lead me to believe that they are constructing a "weigh-in-motion" automated truck scale system in the northbound lanes of Highway 11 just north of the new Bypass interchange and past the Boggy Creek Bridge.

I assume the old site will be decommissioned. Does anyone have any info on this?
Can't help you there but will add my observation that it appears the same thing is being constructed on EB TCH on the west side of Regina prior to the RR branching off.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 6:47 PM

Pinky road is expected to be closed south of 13th avenue this week to do the final tie in to the hill ave interchange. This will also mean that access to the TCH will be for the first time through the GTH. Getting the majority of trucks onto the west Regina bypass. One the tie in is complete work is to shift to Dewdney with the closure of Dewdney between Pinky and the hub. Going to be nice to have the trucks off Dewdney. But is going to make some commutes Much longer some some for about a month and a half.

Also of note. Signage drawings indicate that the regina bypass from North of the TCH to highway 11 will now be the new highway 11 and highway 11 from the bypass to Regina eing Road will be "Regina City Centre" which would have me believe a lot of truckers will take the Bypass south and around.

See here: http://saskbuilds.ca/projects/Regina...20Version).pdf

Last edited by North_Regina_Boy; Jul 16, 2018 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Pinky road is expected to be closed south of 13th avenue this week to do the final tie in to the hill ave interchange. This will also mean that access to the TCH will be for the first time through the GTH. Getting the majority of trucks onto the west Regina bypass. One the tie in is complete work is to shift to Dewdney with the closure of Dewdney between Pinky and the hub. Going to be nice to have the trucks off Dewdney. But is going to make some commutes Much longer some some for about a month and a half.

Also of note. Signage drawings indicate that the regina bypass from North of the TCH to highway 11 will now be the new highway 11 and highway 11 from the bypass to Regina eing Road will be "Regina City Centre" which would have me believe a lot of truckers will take the Bypass south and around.

Truckers would be crazy IMO to try to continue to use the Ring Rd between Highway 11 and TCH E. Sure it is a way shorter distance but you have to factor in: slower speed limits, slow interchanges, traffic lights, rail crossings, traffic congestion (especially Vic E.) and of course construction on the Ring Rd. which is every single summer - ALL summer.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the link. Lots of detail there. One useless sign I saw: "REGINA 8km". It is on Arcola E. - within the City limits! Hopefully they will change it to" "CITY CENTRE 8km"

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Lots of detail there. One useless sign I saw: "REGINA 8km". It is on Arcola E. - within the City limits! Hopefully they will change it to" "CITY CENTRE 8km"
Welcome and yea all cities are measured to the City Centre. Which is why 260km to saskatoon is only like 248 or something

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 9:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Welcome and yea all cities are measured to the City Centre. Which is why 260km to saskatoon is only like 248 or something
No wonder when I was leaving from North Bay, ON for Ottawa, the sign said 378 km but in reality it was 359 km...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan