HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 5:26 AM
GQMF

I don't expect the Raptors to win the series so every win is just gravy. Sweet sweet gravy.

Great win over Lebron James and co.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:04 AM

Beautiful win by the Raptors.
Even if they were to lose the next two games (and the series), they've accomplished a lot.

According to MLSE, Jurassic Park held 2,200 people for the game... and another 2,500 watched from outside the fences. That's awesome. TV ratings will probably be in the 1.5mill range as well. The Raptors are winning over the city, province and even Canada.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 5:00 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if this game got over 2 million. Victoria Day probably added a lot of eyes.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:03 AM
GQMF

WOOOOHHHHHHH!!! I can't believe they tied the series!

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 2:38 PM
arf

I can't either. Hats off to them for hanging tough and making Cleveland work.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 2:50 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

The NBA isn't even trying to hide the fact that they don't want the Raptors in the finals anymore. The reffing in this series has just been atrociously one-sided - which makes these wins all the sweeter. I doubt it'll actually come to pass, but how great would it be to see an OKC vs. Toronto finals instead of the Cleveland vs. Golden State matchup that they so clearly want?

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 2:50 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Beautiful win by the Raptors.
Even if they were to lose the next two games (and the series), they've accomplished a lot.

According to MLSE, Jurassic Park held 2,200 people for the game... and another 2,500 watched from outside the fences. That's awesome. TV ratings will probably be in the 1.5mill range as well. The Raptors are winning over the city, province and even Canada.
Places in surrounding towns also had jam packed attendance, i hear celebration square in mississauga was particularly boisterous with 1000-2000 watching.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Places in surrounding towns also had jam packed attendance, i hear celebration square in mississauga was particularly boisterous with 1000-2000 watching.
Yea, there's decent support even in Hamilton. Sports bars are getting good business during games. A restaurant down the street has a full patio when the Raptors games are on (they have TVs set up on the patio playing Jays and Raptors games).

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:56 PM

I noticed a ton of people in the Hammer this weekend wearing Raptors gear, I even saw a guy wearing a "6" hat.

Great game last night, even with the league obviously trying their best to give our Canadian team bad calls. I'd love to see them take this in 6 back in Toronto.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 5:33 PM

Did anyone else catch the game on ESPN? Wasn't it funny when that analyst during half time talked dropped a rapid transit analogy?

He said something like: "In Toronto they have a rapid transit line under Yonge street, and under Bloor street. And in Toronto all lines head downtown. Just like in this second quarter"

He was referring to Kyle Lowry making successive shots from behind the 3 point line, but referencing transit was soooo Toronto.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Did anyone else catch the game on ESPN? Wasn't it funny when that analyst during half time talked dropped a rapid transit analogy?

He said something like: "In Toronto they have a rapid transit line under Yonge street, and under Bloor street. And in Toronto all lines head downtown. Just like in this second quarter"

He was referring to Kyle Lowry making successive shots from behind the 3 point line, but referencing transit was soooo Toronto.
That analyst was Jalen Rose, who used to play for the Raptors. He always likes to show off his knowledge of Toronto.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:11 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post

I've always found the way the term "downtown" is used to be a bit odd. It means "from outside the three-point line," but you'd think it should actually mean right under the basket, because downtown is generally associated with being at the centre of things. And basketball is traditionally an urban "downtown" game dominated by urban "downtown" folks, by contrast with more pastoral sports on grass playing fields.

I don't get it. Three-pointers should be from the outskirts of town, "from the moon," or "from outside the galaxy." The metaphor should be associated with being far away, not the opposite. This is a total mystery to me.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:23 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I've always found the way the term "downtown" is used to be a bit odd. It means "from outside the three-point line," but you'd think it should actually mean right under the basket, because downtown is generally associated with being at the centre of things. And basketball is traditionally an urban "downtown" game dominated by urban "downtown" folks, by contrast with more pastoral sports on grass playing fields.

I don't get it. Three-pointers should be from the outskirts of town, "from the moon," or "from outside the galaxy." The metaphor should be associated with being far away, not the opposite. This is a total mystery to me.
Think about it in Reverse, if your in the hood, or in the suburbs, downtown is still a good distance to make a basketball shot, right? So if you're in Compton and someone hits a a three from outside the line, its like they are hitting the shot from downtown Los Angles. (brooklyn/Manhattan / Northside/Southside-Chicago / Overtown-Miami/ Scarborough-Toronto) Get it??

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
The NBA isn't even trying to hide the fact that they don't want the Raptors in the finals anymore. The reffing in this series has just been atrociously one-sided - which makes these wins all the sweeter. I doubt it'll actually come to pass, but how great would it be to see an OKC vs. Toronto finals instead of the Cleveland vs. Golden State matchup that they so clearly want?
Just a thought here but isn't it a bit odd to attach so much importance and pride (civic, "national") to a sporting competition where you think/suspect that the organizers are going to stack the odds against you so you can't win? Simply because of the country you happen to be located in?

I mean, I know there is merit and even glory in beating such odds (assuming the suspicion is true), but what are the chances, really? And what does that say about the respect that the said sporting competition deserves from you?

I hadn't really thought about this in this way until I read your post.

And I can't help but think that part of the Great NHL Tune-Out by Canadians is related to this perception: that the NHL does not want its Canadian clubs to be successful. Or at least, not *too* successful.

Again, assuming that any of this is true... why would we want to play ball with these guys?

Would countries like Brazil invest so much in their world cup soccer squads if they had the slightest doubt that FIFA really, really wanted only European countries to win?

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:35 PM
Registered Drug User

But yeah, last night's win was a total thrill. As a kid growing up watching the 76ers and the Pistons as my teams (and who was the selection for my school for the all-star game in Hamilton--downtown vs. mountain!), where the idea of having your own NBA team always seemed like a far-fetched fantasy, this year's playoff run has been exciting and deeply gratifying, especially with a GTA-guy on the team making a solid contribution.

Needless to say, my anticipation for game 5 tomorrow is off the charts. Were the last two wins more to do with having home-court advantage? Or, more optimistically, did the well-rested Cavs simply blindside the exhausted Raptors with a couple of haymakers in Cleveland? Are the Raps back into a groove? Will the return of Valanciunas be the X-factor in all of this?

The possibilities are tantalizing.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:52 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Just a thought here but isn't it a bit odd to attach so much importance and pride (civic, "national") to a sporting competition where you think/suspect that the organizers are going to stack the odds against you so you can't win? Simply because of the country you happen to be located in?

I mean, I know there is merit and even glory in beating such odds (assuming the suspicion is true), but what are the chances, really? And what does that say about the respect that the said sporting competition deserves from you?

A Golden State vs. Cavaliers matchup in the finals would generate more revenue for the NBA & their sponsors, simple as that. These are elite teams with superstar, celebrity players. People would pay attention to them in a way that they just wouldn't for an outsider, underdog team like the Raptors. They have talent, but they don't have the star power to bring in ratings from beyond their market.

I'm not normally one to indulge these sorts of complaints, which usually come off as whining when your team is losing, but it's now been 4 games of consistently one-sided calls in favour of the Cavs. Even Dwayne Casey called out the officiating in this series - and was fined $25,000 for it.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:56 PM
Community Guy

Let's go wraptorz!

Loved the 'We the south' comment hahaha.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
A Golden State vs. Cavaliers matchup in the finals would generate more revenue for the NBA & their sponsors, simple as that. These are elite teams with superstar, celebrity players. People would pay attention to them in a way that they just wouldn't for an outsider, underdog team like the Raptors. They have talent, but they don't have the star power to bring in ratings from beyond their market.

I'm not normally one to indulge these sorts of complaints, which usually come off as whining when your team is losing, but it's now been 4 games of consistently one-sided calls in favour of the Cavs. Even Dwayne Casey called out the officiating in this series - and was fined $25,000 for it.
I get all that, but my question still remains the same.

The absolute best World Series scenario for MLB is Yankees-Dodgers. Does that mean there are blatant calls that are made by refs in order to make it happen in years where it's a possibility?

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:14 PM
Registered Drug User

Everyone knows that the refs have a bias against Toronto, there's really no question about it. There are just too many bad calls against the Raptors to be a coincidence.

I don't think it's a top-down directive, as any sort of paper/digital trail like that would be way too damning. They're not that stupid. It's clearly a combination of two things: the refs themselves have taken the initiative to throw a few calls against Toronto because they've bought into the idea that having the Raps in the finals would be bad news financially for the NBA; and good teams with superstars tend to get more favourable calls. That Toronto is an upper echelon team hasn't really been fully accepted by the officiating crews yet.

I get the ESPN feed on NBA Game Time, and the commentators have been calling out bad calls against the Raptors over and over again. There are just way too many of them to pass the smell test. And everyone knows it, which is why the whole arena applauded so sarcastically when a foul on Cleveland finally got called in the second quarter of last night's game.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I hadn't really thought about this in this way until I read your post.

And I can't help but think that part of the Great NHL Tune-Out by Canadians is related to this perception: that the NHL does not want its Canadian clubs to be successful. Or at least, not *too* successful.

Again, assuming that any of this is true... why would we want to play ball with these guys?

Would countries like Brazil invest so much in their world cup soccer squads if they had the slightest doubt that FIFA really, really wanted only European countries to win?
It's not necessarily that the Raptors are a Canadian team it's that they have little to no star power. Back in the Vince Carter days the Raptors were one the marquee teams in the league and they got featured prime time games in the US. They were also one of the biggest draws on the road. Lets put it this way, imagine if a LeBron James were a Raptor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada