HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitc View Post
There is a god!!! That building is amazing...one question though and we all know this will come up at the meetings - what about an earthquake??

I do however PRAY that this will be built...any insight as to the response that this will garner at the city??
Earthquake --- I'm no engineer, but if guy-wires can support communications towers, why can't guy-wires support the building in the event of an earthquake too?

as for the city response, they'll prolley be against the idea of going overtop of the view cones... but I'm sure if the developer spins it the right way, plus enough positive feedback from people such as ourselves to combat the NIMBYs, it can be pulled off.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Earthquake --- I'm no engineer, but if guy-wires can support communications towers, why can't guy-wires support the building in the event of an earthquake too?

as for the city response, they'll prolley be against the idea of going overtop of the view cones... but I'm sure if the developer spins it the right way, plus enough positive feedback from people such as ourselves to combat the NIMBYs, it can be pulled off.
This is going to be a lot like Whitecaps Stadium. Those NIMBY's were complaining about how the whole stadium could crumble on the pillars it sits on. They're going to be crying and tearing about how they live next to a ticking time bomb, the day that the sky falls on them.

*plays violin*

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 10:13 AM

Hey, rumour mill, stilts has it's own thread here.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 12:51 PM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
Initial concept behind 'stilt' project...

Wow!

Who is the architects?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 3:36 PM

Please continue this discussion here.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 8:01 PM

Demand for downtown luxury condos weakening?

I've heard that plans for the Westin Bayshore condo tower are now cancelled. Also heard that pre-sales are slow at one of Delta Lands projects (Hotel Georgia?). Any truth to this? Is this indicative of a larger trend?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 9:43 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The high-end does have a abudance of supply that came online all at once. But Fairmont sold pretty well, The residences at the Ritz and Hotel Georgia are selling slower but selling none the less. But the rest of the market is still very strong. Ie Patina sold very well, and I imagine Olympic village is going to be a huge success also.
Haven't heard anyting regarding the westin bayshore but rumour has it the Four Season is in the market for another location in town and it would include residences like some of their newer properties ie seattle. There are also rumblings about Mandarin Oriental coming to town, but there seems to be a lot of new high end hotels around here, but then again I'm not in the hotel business.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 12:26 AM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The high-end does have a abudance of supply that came online all at once. But Fairmont sold pretty well, The residences at the Ritz and Hotel Georgia are selling slower but selling none the less. But the rest of the market is still very strong. Ie Patina sold very well, and I imagine Olympic village is going to be a huge success also.
Haven't heard anyting regarding the westin bayshore but rumour has it the Four Season is in the market for another location in town and it would include residences like some of their newer properties ie seattle. There are also rumblings about Mandarin Oriental coming to town, but there seems to be a lot of new high end hotels around here, but then again I'm not in the hotel business.

Vancouver is still missing a lot of higher end hotel chains eg. Mandarin Oriental, Waldorf Astoria, Kempinski, Conrad, Jumeirah, Omni, etc

But, Vancouver is also booming in that respect with the Shangri La, Ritz Carlton, W Hotels, etc

Lots of potential and room for development in this city!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 12:17 AM

Gotta be salesman upsell, but...

I was in a sales showroom this weekend for a development near the SEFC project. The saleswoman, obviously keen to land what she believes is an out-of-town sucker (being a Brit and underplaying my knowledge of the area), she went on a real hard sales pitch about how good a bargain the area east of the Olympic Village is - considering the projects there are "$800/sq. ft and up", whereas her development is $500/sq. ft.
So I started pointing to blank boxes on her area map. "What's there?" - she completely ignored the drug rehabilitation facility I knew about on the block. "Oh, just warehouses." "What about there?", "Oh, low-rise buildings - they won't block your view". Then she pointed on her map to what was clearly labelled "Finning Station". I asked her "What's that?" "Oh, they're building the Millennium Line station there. I had the guy from Translink in just a few days ago and he said it's going ahead, definitely, and will probably go up to UBC. But there will *definitely* be a Skytrain station only a few blocks away should you choose to buy in our development..."

So I called her back on that issue. Now I am not sitting here holding my breath (or saying "a woman with a yellow hat on said they're adding another floor to the Shangri-La") and yes, salespeople will say the most outrageous things to land a sale, but the fact that this was clearly marked on the development plan for the area and she had (allegedly) actually talked to somebody in Translink about it...that's at least a good sign that the area plan has reserved space for the station, and by the way she's talking, they are already working behind the scenes on making it a reality, pending results of consultations or not.

Last edited by djh; Oct 23, 2007 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 12:30 AM

which developement is this?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:03 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I imagine djh is referring to Jacobsen correct me if I'm wrong, not a big fan of the project, and it seems to be selling very slowly. (Not quite SEFC, not quite SOMA, kinda trying to be both but ending up failing at both)
Regarding the Finning station, there isn't really news, we know there will be a station there, it's now a given the skytrain will be extended at least to granville and probably ubc. The question though is when, 5years, 10years??

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Then she pointed on her map to what was clearly labelled "Finning Station". I asked her "What's that?" "Oh, they're building the Millennium Line station there. I had the guy from Translink in just a few days ago and he said it's going ahead, definitely, and will probably go up to UBC. But there will *definitely* be a Skytrain station only a few blocks away should you choose to buy in our development..."

but the fact that this was clearly marked on the development plan for the area and she had (allegedly) actually talked to somebody in Translink about it...that's at least a good sign that the area plan has reserved space for the station, and by the way she's talking, they are already working behind the scenes on making it a reality, pending results of consultations or not.
that's great news...some confidence in getting this thing built right, as SkyTrain to UBC. lets not make the same mistake as we did with the Canada Line with those miniature platforms.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:46 AM
Big City Enthusiast

YES!

Millennium Line SkyTrain, to UBC!!! Awesome.

Hopefully, we'll see/hear that the consultation only backs up/confirms the choice and then we see construction. Especially since we'd have the TBM available.

I agree also, 80-100M platforms please.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
YES!

Millennium Line SkyTrain, to UBC!!! Awesome.

Hopefully, we'll see/hear that the consultation only backs up/confirms the choice and then we see construction. Especially since we'd have the TBM available.

I agree also, 80-100M platforms please.
it'll be interesting to see how Broadway-City Hall Station on the Canada Line will handle that surge in passengers with the future M-Line extension.....50-metre platforms, what a joke. It's already packed at the Millennium Line's Commercial Station platform during peak hours - and that's a 80-metre platform.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:14 AM

also remember that it isn't just platform length, but train length aswell. when the trains increase form either millennium or expo lines, the stations wont be as crowded as they are now while people wait for trains to arrive.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
also remember that it isn't just platform length, but train length aswell. when the trains increase form either millennium or expo lines, the stations wont be as crowded as they are now while people wait for trains to arrive.
that's how it was like too for the Expo Line when the Millennium Line went online. it got a little less crowded, but after a few years it became more crowded than ever before because of the growing transit options the M-Line provided.

...so, what you said will be short-lived.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 9:12 AM
Vancouver Moderator

i just had a thought:

We all know that the Canada Line will exceed its capacity soon after its completion because of the lack of planning given. From what I see today on the 98 B-Line, I'm guessing the busiest sections of the Canada Line will be from Waterfront Station to Bridgeport Station. That is because Vancouver-Suburbs commuters and Vancouver-Vancouver commuters travel in. Well how about removing some of the Vancouver-Vancouver commuters by implementing the Arbutus StreetCar? If it travels from Waterfront Station down Granville St. to W 5th Avenue then existing tracks down Arbutus and wind its way downt to Marine Drive station, I'm sure that some commuters wouldn't mind a slower trip if there was less people but was equally as reliable.

We can't undo what we did to the Canada Line, so might as well introduce new infrastructure to serve with the Canada Line.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 6:16 PM

Mr.X, are you saying that adding more and longer trains will cause congestion, implying that is something we don't want?

I thought the goal here was to get more people using mass transportation, so in my opinion the more people crammed into the system, the better. This is why it is called "mass" transportation.

Using your logic, bigger platforms would also only provide a short term solution, as soon people will fill into that space aswell.

Besides, crowded stations will lead the government to feel that the system needs expansion and improvement, therefore bigger platforms and more lines.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
i just had a thought:

We all know that the Canada Line will exceed its capacity soon after its completion because of the lack of planning given. From what I see today on the 98 B-Line, I'm guessing the busiest sections of the Canada Line will be from Waterfront Station to Bridgeport Station. That is because Vancouver-Suburbs commuters and Vancouver-Vancouver commuters travel in. Well how about removing some of the Vancouver-Vancouver commuters by implementing the Arbutus StreetCar? If it travels from Waterfront Station down Granville St. to W 5th Avenue then existing tracks down Arbutus and wind its way downt to Marine Drive station, I'm sure that some commuters wouldn't mind a slower trip if there was less people but was equally as reliable.

We can't undo what we did to the Canada Line, so might as well introduce new infrastructure to serve with the Canada Line.
That has been thought of before, that the Arbutus streetcar could be a full running LRT line instead.

But the question is, how much would it actually relieve Canada Line congestion?

Quote:
Mr.X, are you saying that adding more and longer trains will cause congestion, implying that is something we don't want?

I thought the goal here was to get more people using mass transportation, so in my opinion the more people crammed into the system, the better. This is why it is called "mass" transportation.

Using your logic, bigger platforms would also only provide a short term solution, as soon people will fill into that space aswell.

Besides, crowded stations will lead the government to feel that the system needs expansion and improvement, therefore bigger platforms and more lines.
That is something we want....the Broadway M-Line will be dumping tons of people onto the Canada Line. But the question is can the Canada Line handle that? Imagine a Broadway Station scenario, with people waiting for 3 or 4 trains just to get on. Nevertheless, any ridership growth is good.

What I said was a 40/50-metre platform is far from sufficient. Most metro systems around the world build longer platforms so that they can add more cars to the trains for additional future capacity. The Canada Line train is 41-metres long, most of the platforms will be 40-metres long, and all are expandable to 50-metres. What are you going to do with that 9-metres? That's smaller than a bus.

Ideally, the Canada Line should have been built with 80-metre platforms or at the very least 50-metre platforms but extendable in the future to 80-metres.

But it all comes down to poor planning...or rather, poorly flawed principles on how to build a rapid transit rail line on the part of the provincial government...counting nickels and pennies rather than just building it. The P3 system is flawed.

Quote:
They will definitely see it that way...but if we had built it right, all we would've needed to do was buy more cars instead of ripping up the system and roads apart again to extend the platforms or building another LRT line.

You're going to have people walk into a station in 2009. They will look left. They see a wall nearby. They will look right. They will see another wall nearby. And then they will think, "wtf?"

It can be best put that the Canada Line will be a victim of its own success.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 8:23 PM

There should be ways of tweeking the Canada Line to accommodate future increases in ridership:

1 - increase train frequency
2 - short-turn or re-allocate train frequency to focus on heavily travelled sections (i.e. short-turn at Bridgeport or to serve M-Line transferees)
3 - reconfigure seats to allow more standing room (i.e. seats along the walls)
4 - buy more 2-car trains
5 - finish platforms to full 50m lenth and purchase intermediate cars to lengthen trains to 3 cars

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver