HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
wow... they're just fireworks. people enjoy them. it's not the end of the world nor is it some yardstick on which to measure our city's true value... god... the city's main flaws are mostly pissy, whiney people like you.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 7:40 PM

wow no comments abt china's preformance yesterday? i hafta say that was by far the best one.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 8:27 PM

I was sort of bored through most of it. If it was the best one I guess it's a good thing I missed the other two.

Maybe it was because it was a Wednesday but the crowds didn't seem the big either.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 8:35 PM
loafing in lotusland

The beginning was great! The middle was elegant. The Finale was great!

We beat the hordes to the SkyTrain too... 10:50.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
I was sort of bored through most of it. If it was the best one I guess it's a good thing I missed the other two.

Maybe it was because it was a Wednesday but the crowds didn't seem the big either.
Yes, it wasnt too busy, but it might have to do with the potential showers.

I wasn't too satisfied either. Compared to other years, China has done much better. Perhaps it was because I couldn't hear the music that I have a less than stellar impression though....

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 9:56 PM

I was quite impressed with China last year. This year it felt like they had enough fireworks to pull off a solid 15 minutes and instead diluted it into a half hour show. Maybe I'm just a sucker for when they blow up a lot of fireworks all at once.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
wow no comments abt china's preformance yesterday? i hafta say that was by far the best one.
What?? Did you even watch the first one?

Maybe this one had a bigger explosion at the end, but technically it was far inferior. The synchronization and artistic merit showed by the Archangel team was absolutely incredible. The Wednesday show was one of the best firework displays I have ever seen, and I have seen my fair share. Like I said it may not have been the most explosive or in your face, but if you actually know your fireworks I have to say it is the hands down favourite.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 5:44 AM

Didn't watch China's show, but from my house the bangs were a lot louder than usual and much more frequent....sitting at home, i was assuming that they had a ton of big ones.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
What?? Did you even watch the first one?

Maybe this one had a bigger explosion at the end, but technically it was far inferior. The synchronization and artistic merit showed by the Archangel team was absolutely incredible. The Wednesday show was one of the best firework displays I have ever seen, and I have seen my fair share. Like I said it may not have been the most explosive or in your face, but if you actually know your fireworks I have to say it is the hands down favourite.
are u referring to canada???

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 6:51 PM

Indeed I am, the Archangel team is out of Winnipeg I believe.

I usually dont even like Canada's shows, but for some reason they just nailed it this year.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 8:26 PM

well to be fair, i wasn't able to hear much of the music for canada's preformance. i would've probably appreciate canada's synchronization cuz i thought china's was well done. although i have to say china was a bit grandiose at the end, but u gotta please the crowds. anyway i'll be sure i'll sit closer to the speakers for the finale.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 9:10 PM

Yeah no doubt... China's finale was phenominal. But then again China always nails down the 'wow factor' at the symphony of fire, I just find they put too much effort into the explosivity and not as much into the coordination.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 8:19 AM

LeftCoaster, i gotta admit it to you, canada did rock the fireworks, for the finale at least. this time i brought a radio how off-sync the speakers at english bay were. canada's preformance was fantastic. usa's was terrible. china's wasnt as good as i had thought compared to its wednesday's preformance. oh and the "kill bill" segment was funny in a wtf way

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 7:54 PM

Canada won

it was actually a tie and someone had to break the tie and gave the vote to Canada

but China won Peoples Choice

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 6:02 PM
David

im surprised nobody has mentioned how ridiculously awful the BC 150 fireworks display was. If anything in 2010 is half as childish or corny, we are in big trouble. I felt embarrassed to be British Columbian

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
im surprised nobody has mentioned how ridiculously awful the BC 150 fireworks display was. If anything in 2010 is half as childish or corny, we are in big trouble. I felt embarrassed to be British Columbian
i.e. the Torino handover?
I'm not even sure how they couldn't get the part of singing our national anthem in a good way, the one-man opera singer at Torino was just terrible.

VANOC probably didn't spend much on that presentation......compared to folks at London that are spending 4 million pounds for their handover in Beijing.

Hopefully, they learned their lesson.....I don't think you should turn the BC 150 thing into a foreshadow for 2010. I would be more embarrassed if the ceremonies involved an hour of dancing First Nations, being VANOC has put such an emphasis on them. Nobody wants that.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 7:00 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I thought the entire finale was horrible... >__<

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 4:58 PM

I thought Canada and China rocked the finale... I thought China's contribution to the finale was better than their actual performance. The US team as per usual missed the boat completely, as their fireworks weren't even remotely synched up with their music and there was no discernable theme what so ever.

And David I was right there with you cringing all the way along during that self aggrandizing tripe that the BC 150 team put on... what an embarrassment.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 5:47 PM

I expect the opening ceremonies to be unrelenting cheese. It doesn't matter how much is spent if it reeks like a best place on earth ad. With any luck there will be one thing (just one) worth remembering. That one thing probably won't cost anything.

(I was at the fireworks on Saturday as well, and I agree with David and LCer)

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 10:00 PM

yeah but at least vanoc has hired the same company that does all the ceremonies

but me and my friend are imagining leotards and ribbons - lol

a la expoo 86

pic from bcplacestadium.com

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment