HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 7:28 AM
Registered

^ Unfortunately, I've been a bit out of the preservation loop lately, so you might know more than me. But tearing down this building (shell) would be a national crime.

I saw large white, pre-assembled trusses being erected on the sidewalk yesterday in a premeditated fashion, quite reminiscent of the Legacy. I guess these could be used for a piece-by-piece deconstruction, but I doubt there would be so much trouble if they were just going to toss the thing.

I will go past the site tomorrow during the day and check out what is going on.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 7:41 AM

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_005191803.html

Congregation Says Church Will Rise From Its Ashes

Suzanne Le Mignot
Reporting

(CBS) CHICAGO The legendary Pilgrim Baptist Church went up in flames a year ago, but the church is poised to rise from the ashes.

CBS 2's Suzanne Le Mignot reports plans for the church's rebirth are underway.

The church is still in the process of interviewing architects for the rebuilding project. They have been given estimates for anywhere from $10 million to $40 million for construction.

The deacon says the congregation is determined to see Pilgrim Baptist rebuilt.

Deacon Robert Vaughn described the anguish in his heart when seeing his beloved Pilgrim Baptist Church go up in flames, one year ago.

"I saw all in shape, in form, as it came down like a window shade. And that was when I was not able anymore to just speak, I was just bursting into tears," Vaughn said.

The congregation is now looking ahead to the day their church returns to its former beauty.

Large yellow metal beams hold up the church's 50-foot walls. Enormous cement blocks secure the foundation.

So far, $1.2 million has been spent towards the rebuilding effort.

The historic church designed by Adler and Sullivan, is considered to be the birthplace of gospel music. Thomas A. Dorsey created that sound there in the 1930s.

An original portrait of Dorsey was lost in the fire, but the Chicago History Museum recreated the portrait as a gift.

"Sometimes God allows things to happen to people to bring them down, in terms of bringing them more into unity, to bring them right back up," said senior pastor Keith Gordon.

Gordon says maybe this fire happened to bring this community closer together and that the church, which was once a synagogue, will in its new form unite people of all faiths on the Near South Side.

The deacon of Pilgrim Baptist Church says the kindness of the community has been overwhelming.

The church recently received $400,000 in private donations for the rebuilding effort, and the Pritzker Family Foundation is providing matching funds of up to $500,000.

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 7:05 PM

^^^^^^^
I think a later date would have been smarter. I never plan outdoor activities until July in Chicago...just to be sure. That being said, I remember an Independence Day party in Winnetka in the seventies in the mid-fifties. That's Chicago!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
^^^^^^^
I think a later date would have been smarter. I never plan outdoor activities until July in Chicago...just to be sure. That being said, I remember an Independence Day party in Winnetka in the seventies in the mid-fifties. That's Chicago!
One of the reason given for the date was two or three of the colleges downtown have graduation that day (they don't want to do it after then because they will lose part of the audience.)

SSDD

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 11:24 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,5493389.story

Columbia College Chicago has picked four finalists for the college's proposed media production center, including Santa Monica, Calif.-based Morphosis, whose principal Thom Mayne won the 2005 Pritzker Architecture Prize.

Two Chicago firms are among the finalists: Studio Gang, headed by Jeanne Gang; and Brininstool + Lynch, led by partners Brad Lynch and David Brininstool.

The fourth finalist is New York City-based Helfand Architecture, headed by Margaret Helfand.

A selection committee will meet with the finalists in February, asking them to discuss their design philosophies and other issues. A decision is expected in early March, according to a university spokeswoman.

The media production center is proposed to be built at the southwest corner of State and 16th Streets on a vacant lot now owned by the City of Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 7:28 AM
Registered

^ Wow!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 8:29 PM

Okay, I have no idea where the Chicago Under-12floors thread went, so I will post this here.

1/10/2007 10:00:00 PM Email this article • Print this article
New gateway for Bucktown?
Condo proposal moves forward, but commercial buildings still up in the air

By TIMOTHY INKLEBARGER, Staff Writer

A proposed seven-story condominium on North Ave. near the Kennedy Expressway is moving forward, but the future is uncertain for two commercial buildings that are also part of the area's planned development.

In 2005, developer J. Paul Beitler told the Wicker Park Committee that the site at the 1500 block of North Ave. - where a vacant restaurant and empty lot now stand - would likely be the new site of a LaSalle National Bank facility, condominium building and Mercedes-Benz car dealership. The commercial buildings would be located just to the west of the Kennedy Expressway and the condominiums would sit just east of that on the south side of North Ave. Plans for the commercial ventures, however, have been put on hold after businesses backed out of the deal, according to 1st Ward Alderman Manny Flores.

Flores said the residential building that will contain about 30 condos just west of Bosworth Ave. is moving forward. But he assured that the other two buildings would be developed as commercial, largely due to neighbor's concerns about traffic congestion in the area.

"That concern is a valid concern, but these decisions are not made in a vacuum," Flores said, noting that he has held public meetings on the proposal to take input from neighbors. "I informed the residents publicly that we had been approached by other folks who wanted to amend the planned development for the purposes of building all residential, and you know what my answer to that was - no, no and no. We worked hard as a community to get this plan and we are going to get this plan."

Flores said that prior to the plans for the condos and commercial buildings, McDonald's proposed building a restaurant at the southeastern site. Neighbors battled the restaurant plan in court and ultimately prevailed.

"We fought hard to control the use of that property," Flores said. "I put in $10,000 of my own money fighting that."

He said Stillpoint Development, the managing member of the landowner Chigal 1550, LLC, is requesting an amendment to the planned development that would reduce the height of the building from eight stories to seven and allow for more unit.

State Rep. John Fritchey who serves as legal counsel to Stillpoint said the original planned development approved in 2005, allowed for a 93 foot tall building with 23 units. The new proposal is shorter-it's only 78 feet tall-but would contain 30 units and 30 parking spaces. The plan also calls for about 1,100 feet of retail space on the ground floor. Fritchey said he hopes to have the proposal before the Chicago Plan Commission in the next month or two. If approved, the amended plan will head to the city zoning committee and then the full City Council for approval.

"To have such visible land lay dormant is in nobody's interest," he said. "The one thing the community is unified in is they want to see progress. There's been a lot of time spent by the alderman and the neighborhood to come up with a vision and a plan."

The commercial buildings detailed in the planned development would not change under the proposed amendment from Chigal 1550, according to Flores.

The planned development allows the commercial building on the north side of north to stand 71 feet tall and contain 88 off-street parking spaces. The building on the south side of the street can stand 61 feet tall and contain 107 off-street parking spaces, according to the planned development.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Okay, I have no idea where the Chicago Under-12floors thread went, so I will post this here.

1/10/2007 10:00:00 PM Email this article • Print this article
New gateway for Bucktown?
Condo proposal moves forward, but commercial buildings still up in the air

By TIMOTHY INKLEBARGER, Staff Writer

A proposed seven-story condominium on North Ave. near the Kennedy Expressway is moving forward, but the future is uncertain for two commercial buildings that are also part of the area's planned development.

In 2005, developer J. Paul Beitler told the Wicker Park Committee that the site at the 1500 block of North Ave. - where a vacant restaurant and empty lot now stand - would likely be the new site of a LaSalle National Bank facility, condominium building and Mercedes-Benz car dealership. The commercial buildings would be located just to the west of the Kennedy Expressway and the condominiums would sit just east of that on the south side of North Ave. Plans for the commercial ventures, however, have been put on hold after businesses backed out of the deal, according to 1st Ward Alderman Manny Flores.

Flores said the residential building that will contain about 30 condos just west of Bosworth Ave. is moving forward. But he assured that the other two buildings would be developed as commercial, largely due to neighbor's concerns about traffic congestion in the area.

"That concern is a valid concern, but these decisions are not made in a vacuum," Flores said, noting that he has held public meetings on the proposal to take input from neighbors. "I informed the residents publicly that we had been approached by other folks who wanted to amend the planned development for the purposes of building all residential, and you know what my answer to that was - no, no and no. We worked hard as a community to get this plan and we are going to get this plan."

Flores said that prior to the plans for the condos and commercial buildings, McDonald's proposed building a restaurant at the southeastern site. Neighbors battled the restaurant plan in court and ultimately prevailed.

"We fought hard to control the use of that property," Flores said. "I put in $10,000 of my own money fighting that."

He said Stillpoint Development, the managing member of the landowner Chigal 1550, LLC, is requesting an amendment to the planned development that would reduce the height of the building from eight stories to seven and allow for more unit.

State Rep. John Fritchey who serves as legal counsel to Stillpoint said the original planned development approved in 2005, allowed for a 93 foot tall building with 23 units. The new proposal is shorter-it's only 78 feet tall-but would contain 30 units and 30 parking spaces. The plan also calls for about 1,100 feet of retail space on the ground floor. Fritchey said he hopes to have the proposal before the Chicago Plan Commission in the next month or two. If approved, the amended plan will head to the city zoning committee and then the full City Council for approval.

"To have such visible land lay dormant is in nobody's interest," he said. "The one thing the community is unified in is they want to see progress. There's been a lot of time spent by the alderman and the neighborhood to come up with a vision and a plan."

The commercial buildings detailed in the planned development would not change under the proposed amendment from Chigal 1550, according to Flores.

The planned development allows the commercial building on the north side of north to stand 71 feet tall and contain 88 off-street parking spaces. The building on the south side of the street can stand 61 feet tall and contain 107 off-street parking spaces, according to the planned development.

I love how NIMBYs think you can build commercial spaces in order to generate retail, rather than providing the residential density to actually support long stretches of ped-friendly retail...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 12:39 AM
You never sausage a place

Here's Green Bay Rd & Emerson St (Evanston), the Grand Bend at Green Bay project. Construction on the six-story building has reached the fourth floor (as of Jan 5, 2007).

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 5:44 AM

What ever happened to this project

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 6:47 AM
Eamus Catuli!!!

What is that?

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 3:29 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2020 View Post
What ever happened to this project

That was never a real proposed project I believe. That was designed by Joe Valerio as part of an exhibit promoted by Stanley Tigerman to create fantasical visions of Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 8:37 AM
BANNED

Can someone get some recent photos of the Spertus Institute? Also is there a rendering of the new Belmont Army anywhere?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 2:04 PM
you know where I'll be

Halsted/Blackhawk Development

Not sure if this was previously discussed, but this substantial 3-building development (new British School, Retail, Parking) is on tomorrow's Plan Commission meeting agenda. IMO very nice design by Valerio Dewalt Train.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:14 PM

Why is it going before the Plan Commission? It's already under construction!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
That red brick building with the ivy on the river facade is the Great Lakes Building, built ~1913, and I am quite sure that is a designated city landmark, thankfully too because its the last Chicago school building on Wacker Drive. There is no need for a park there, as the planned riverwalk will wrap around the bend up to this site. The area in front of 333 W. Wacker will become a grand staircase, which is why the limestone ballistrade was never reinstalled there.

Ask and ye shall recieve. You remember the blurb a while back about a rental apartment company from San Antonio planning a 32 story building at Wells and Kinzie? Well, guess who they hired. Victor has a copy of the PD perhaps he can provide more info, but from the poor rendering that I saw, it looks fantastic. And it has 4 levels of retail toboot.
^Is there a source I can reference for a comprehensive summary of the planned riverwalk? We have been hearing about one for years, but I havent seen any action. I recall that the city put out bids, only got a few, and they all called for doing things the city said it didnt want to do. It seems as if there are already piece meal riverwalks up and down the river (put together by individual projects), but nothing continuous from Lake to Michigan (which is what I thought was called for).

Also, is that building at Kinzie and Wells a done deal? Will it be an office building with first floor retail? Do we know the schedule?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
^Is there a source I can reference for a comprehensive summary of the planned riverwalk? We have been hearing about one for years, but I havent seen any action. I recall that the city put out bids, only got a few, and they all called for doing things the city said it didnt want to do. It seems as if there are already piece meal riverwalks up and down the river (put together by individual projects), but nothing continuous from Lake to Michigan (which is what I thought was called for).

Also, is that building at Kinzie and Wells a done deal? Will it be an office building with first floor retail? Do we know the schedule?
The city restarted the bidding by breaking the project up into compentents for individual contarctors. Beyond that, I have no idea when that is supposed to move forward. The higher than expected bids are what is holding the project up. The floating walkway has already been approved by the Army Corp of Engineers. This was told to me by a CDOT official a while back.

The office building at Kinzie and Wells is dead, plan on a 32 story residential building for the site.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 4:20 AM
Registered

^ Great news about the bridge getting some attention. It's an iconic part of the Drive and there are obviously better ways to meet accessibility guidelines other than tearing it down.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 4:36 AM
THAT Guy

For LA21st: I think honte is referring to 250 S Wacker

D2 Realty is doing an extensive renovation of the building
http://www.250southwacker.com/

Rendering:

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:13 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ wow! i haven't seen a rendering of the recladding of this. if the finished product turns out anything like that, this building is gonna be pretty damn sharp.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development