HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Jesus fuck. The whole "muh permanence" circlejerk again. Wouldn't painting a lane a certain colour or just putting "BUSES ONLY" every x meters have the same effect as tearing up the road and putting rails there?
IMO, rail bias is less about permanence and more about service.

When people think "bus," they think regular service - grimy, infrequent, late, slow, uncomfortable - even the 99 is a bumpy ride; "train" invokes clean, sleek, fast, frequent, smooth. Dedicated ROWs (or even a viaduct) and low-floor long buses can provide the same ride as a tram.

Quote:
Well, the underground portion would make a nice shelter for the homeless junkies, eh?
That's what Transit Police and faregates are for.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
IMO, rail bias is less about permanence and more about service.

When people think "bus," they think regular service - grimy, infrequent, late, slow, uncomfortable - even the 99 is a bumpy ride; "train" invokes clean, sleek, fast, frequent, smooth. Dedicated ROWs (or even a viaduct) and low-floor long buses can provide the same ride as a tram.
So this just screams out "clean, sleek, fast, smooth, frequent, modern, comfortable"?

Seems like a very flawed argument.

Quote:
That's what Transit Police and faregates are for.
I meant they could sneak around after hours to the sections that aren't really fenced in (i.e. at the crossing gates) and enter the tunnels...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Jesus fuck. The whole "muh permanence" circlejerk again. Wouldn't painting a lane a certain colour or just putting "BUSES ONLY" every x meters have the same effect as tearing up the road and putting rails there?
No, it wouldn't and doesn't. Building rails forces the city to put in the permanent infrastructure that is required for transit to be good. Buses can just be thrown in cheaply anywhere and are awful 100% of the time because of this.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 9:32 PM

Quote:
So this just screams out "clean, sleek, fast, smooth, frequent, modern, comfortable"?

I meant they could sneak around after hours to the sections that aren't really fenced in (i.e. at the crossing gates) and enter the tunnels...
Lol what? That is very clearly an abandoned old rail line. Not a modern lrt system.

Let's not be silly now.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 9:36 PM

Quote:

(image of Soviet train track abandoned mid-construction and never used)

I'm sure that if First World citizens took Third World trains, their tune would change. But they don't - they're used to going to other First World cities and taking their modern trams and subways or bullet trains, and then coming back to a place where a 15-minute wait is a "frequent" bus network.

Never said it was logical reasoning, but it's understandable nonetheless.

Quote:
And sleep on the tracks? Have-nots are desperate, not batsh*t stupid.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00dy View Post
Lol what? That is very clearly an abandoned old rail line. Not a modern lrt system.

Let's not be silly now.
Oh, sorry. I meant this.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Oh, sorry. I meant this.

Yes, of course the Kaliningrad tram is a perfect representation of what LRT systems in Canada look like.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00dy View Post
Yes, of course the Kaliningrad tram is a perfect representation of what LRT systems in Canada look like.
B-but muh permuhnins

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 11:52 PM

Because the abandoned rail service pics are going nowhere...

I have taken a step away from this thread because it's just going in circles. But:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
At this point I’d say there probably at least 80% probability the LRT will be built so once again debating its efficacy is probably a hopeless endeavour.
I agree with what Migrant_Coconut said: it ain't over until the fat lady sings.

What bothers me is that a lot of us will spend the time on here and write our opinions on these issues that shape our city, but we won't actually take the time to write to our elected MP's what we would like to see and have changed. It's like we care about the future but we don't care enough to write to the City of Surrey (who actually facilitate these things) to express how we would like our city to be.

Now I don't want to get too political on this thread (or get accused of spreading propaganda) but Darryl has created an amazing website that is trying to legitimately address our politicians about the transit south of Fraser. If you aren't supporting Skytrain then that's cool and everything (as I can live with people who have different opinion) but I would like to encourage you to try and learn the other side. The Skytrain for Surrey site presents a case for Skytrain very well. It even has video animations!

But yeah, if you really want Skytrain for Surrey/Langley, then take some time off this forum and write to your elected officials. I am guilty of this, myself. For those of you that have already done so then ignore this post .

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 12:29 AM
Rational urbanist

Is there really anything non-Surrey residents can do though? Obviously my opinion doesn't matter to Surrey politicians. I've thought about emailing Bowinn Ma or Claire Trevena (Parliamentary Secretary for TransLink and Minister of Transportation respectively) but but I don't know if it's really up to them.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
But yeah, if you really want Skytrain for Surrey/Langley, then take some time off this forum and write to your elected officials. I am guilty of this, myself. For those of you that have already done so then ignore this post .
But what if I want to shout "I'm number one! I'm awesome!" as I've already shared my thoughts on this with TransLink, Surrey and Bowinn Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Is there really anything non-Surrey residents can do though? Obviously my opinion doesn't matter to Surrey politicians. I've thought about emailing Bowinn Ma or Claire Trevena (Parliamentary Secretary for TransLink and Minister of Transportation respectively) but but I don't know if it's really up to them.
Well maybe not e-mail Surrey but you can certainly get ahold of TransLink and the gov about it. I e-mailed Surrey as I grew up out that way and have family there, so it's not like I never travel in Surrey. Besides, isn't it worth a couple minutes of your time to send off an e-mail?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 2:08 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
But what if I want to shout "I'm number one! I'm awesome!" as I've already shared my thoughts on this with TransLink, Surrey and Bowinn Ma.

Well maybe not e-mail Surrey but you can certainly get ahold of TransLink and the gov about it. I e-mailed Surrey as I grew up out that way and have family there, so it's not like I never travel in Surrey. Besides, isn't it worth a couple minutes of your time to send off an e-mail?
On the to-do list it goes!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 5:11 AM
YouTube Creator

“Friendly Fire”? Sometimes I wonder if this is a conversation purely based on people personal likes and dislikes and emotions or just debating facts.

And the post with the abandoned rails? Maybe stop the hyperbole there are virtually no absolutes here.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 5:49 AM

If people are willing to bust balls over a joke, then perhaps it is. The way I meant it, we've simply had this circlejerk argument so many times over the last few years that we might as well be playing for teams.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 3:04 PM

As a Calgarian, I'm only wading into this discussion based on what I know about the LRT in Calgary. It is largely not well integrated into communities at this point, with the 36th street NE streetscape as a perfect example. The LRT line runs there down the middle of the road and completely cuts off the east and west sides of the communities! It's awful trying to cross a street or drive on that stretch! And it's fugly as well! I highly encourage ya'll to write to your decision makers and ask them to rethink and redesign the plans for your community!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
As a Calgarian, I'm only wading into this discussion based on what I know about the LRT in Calgary. It is largely not well integrated into communities at this point, with the 36th street NE streetscape as a perfect example. The LRT line runs there down the middle of the road and completely cuts off the east and west sides of the communities! It's awful trying to cross a street or drive on that stretch! And it's fugly as well! I highly encourage ya'll to write to your decision makers and ask them to rethink and redesign the plans for your community!
Ditto!!

I have nothing against LRT technology when used in the right situation. For example, the first section of LRT installed in Edmonton decades ago does not mixed with any traffic other than crossing roads controlled by regular train signals and arms like any other regular train. It follows an existing railway line and moves people without delays.

What I think Hep wants is the San Fransisco look where people hop off and on streetcars or something like that. However, 104th is the wrong place for it. That is a major 4 lane road. If they kept the 4 lanes and put the 2 tracks down the middle and fenced it off so no one can cross except at intersections, then I might give it some consideration. Trains, pedestrians, and cars just don't mix well. Just watch the Youtube videos of tram accidents.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:

*snip*

that screams "abandoned railway in the middle of no-where" to me

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
*snip*

that screams "abandoned railway in the middle of no-where" to me
it does?!?!?! WHAT?!?! you must be blind!!!

only a crazy person would think that...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
it does?!?!?! WHAT?!?! you must be blind!!!

only a crazy person would think that...
It literally screams "permanence"!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 10:52 PM

Why do we have a picture of an abandoned Stalin era rail project built with forced labour in the far north of Russia? And what relationship does it have with Metro Vancouver?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure