HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Everything looks so pale in that first picture! Is that a photography filtering trick? I'm noting that the cars are mostly all white, save for the ones that are red... looks like the blue hues are getting filtered out.
Yeah, the first picture is whitewashed with some type of filter.

The other two show all of downtown Winnipeg's natural beige glory.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 4:38 AM

The Peg's skyline is gonna look different in several years

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Winnipeg is a very interesting city. I wish I hadn't been so paranoid while visiting. . .
Is this a generalized condition or something to do with the city? No particular reason to feel paranoid there...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 6:29 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesque View Post
Is this a generalized condition or something to do with the city? No particular reason to feel paranoid there...
I don't know how well known this is in Winnipeg, but the media does make it out to be a very dangerous city where you could get jumped at any time. Same with Edmonton and to a lesser extent the Saskatchewan cities. Usually these claims are hyperbolic, but they have ingrained themselves into outside perception.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 7:39 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I don't know how well known this is in Winnipeg, but the media does make it out to be a very dangerous city where you could get jumped at any time. Same with Edmonton and to a lesser extent the Saskatchewan cities. Usually these claims are hyperbolic, but they have ingrained themselves into outside perception.
Why am I not surprised ?

Well, anyway, it's no different than any other city. Just make a point of avoiding places that look like you'll get stabbed in and you probably won't get stabbed.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 9:42 AM
BANNED

D
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
So you believe everything the media tells you? Ever heard of the term "sensationalization"?

My gawd, you are from Vancouver of all places. Not exactly a city with the most stellar reputation these days either.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 9:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Winnipeg is a very interesting city. I wish I hadn't been so paranoid while visiting. . .
Sorry but you were being rediculous. I guess I should be on guard when walking the mean streets of Hamilton, based on what kind of reputation it has as well.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Sorry but you were being rediculous. I guess I should be on guard when walking the mean streets of Hamilton, based on what kind of reputation it has as well.
Yeah, have to agree it's a bit ridiculous to feel particularly paranoid in WPG. I mainly grew up there but was born in Ottawa, have lived in Vancouver (12 years), Toronto, Montreal (just a short time), Stockholm, and currently Paris, France.

There are rough areas, criminals, gangs, a-holes, poverty etc. in all these places - just with different backgrounds (obviously Paris has been hit by two major terrorist attacks in recent times - in ordinary places I've walked beside, knock on wood). I remember a gang-related shooting at a restaurant I would go by all the time in Kitsilano. My father lived in Washington, DC for a year and was warned at one street corner not to walk into a certain neighbourhood. So there are issues everywhere.

Glad you found the city interesting though - it definitely is, and stereotypes and lazy clichés perpetuated by some media outlets and members of the public are just that. It would be nice if all Canadians knew more about each other and the cool things across the country beyond some of those clichés.

And on the thread topic, I've come to appreciate some of the very cool things about the WPG skyline - not the least of which is the beautiful legislature and the unique CMHR.

Last edited by beatlesque; Apr 20, 2016 at 10:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 8:03 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
D

So you believe everything the media tells you? Ever heard of the term "sensationalization"?

My gawd, you are from Vancouver of all places. Not exactly a city with the most stellar reputation these days either.
Did I say I agreed? The question was why he felt unsafe, and I answered with a potential reason. I even said this was likely exaggerated in most cases. Never did I say it was accurate, or that it was my opinion. It comes up fairly often in the media, and I suggested that as a possible factor in people's behaviour in these cities. Nothing more.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 8:23 PM
ARTchitecture

Saint John...

http://cnf-fiic.ca/

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 8:39 PM
New Brunswick booster!

What is with your love of Saint John? I'm just curious.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Saint John...

I love this shot! Thanks Chad, you do such a great job of showcasing all the different cities in the country!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 12:31 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I love this shot! Thanks Chad, you do such a great job of showcasing all the different cities in the country!
Thanks man I do my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
What is with your love of Saint John? I'm just curious.
I just find it to be so beautiful and underrated. I've always wanted to go.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 1:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Saint John...

I would say this shot was likely taken from the deck of a cruise ship docked at the terminal.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 1:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I just find it to be so beautiful and underrated. I've always wanted to go.
Saint John has a lot of urban grit and character. If that's what you want, you won't be disappointed.

It has a wealth of late 19th century brick and masonry architecture with some strikingly preserved urban streetscapes - amongst the best on the continent.

On the other hand, the reason why the streetscapes are so well preserved is because there has been so little growth in the city in the last 60-80 years.

You'll also get to witness a lot of urban poverty. It might be shocking to some people........

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 1:35 AM

With so many other cities (Halifax, Vancouver, Hamilton) busier than ever destroying their built heritage, it's possible that Saint John's stagnancy decades will end up making it pretty special on a country level.

For core homogeneity, in particular.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 2:06 AM

I have been keeping an eye on Saint John listings ever since we had that real estate guessing thread...

I'm wondering what's so wrong ("structural issues") with it; I've always liked the idea of a seniors' home. Big old classy building, no giant clock on it...

https://www.realtor.ca/Commercial/Mu...unswick-E2L1Y9

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 2:50 AM

Install an elevator and give 'er a lick of paint and you're good to go!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 12:49 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Dude you're from Thunder Bay. We can easily get away with calling ourselves "Minipeg, Microtoba". If you don't feel uneasy in Port Arthur then you'll find the Exchange absolutely charming by comparison.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 7:15 AM
ARTchitecture

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada