HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
You didn't present it as open source - you presented it as your own thoughts. It has sourcing provided which you could have used to summarize and supplement your own thoughts. I don't care if you're copy/pasting wikipedia articles but I really think it's a no-no if you're supplementing it with "this is how I think it will play out" and pretending it's your own stream of consciousness.

I didn't, actually. I ended up on the Wiki and noticed it was the exact same as what you has posited.

You could have easily presented it as: I think it will work out the same as how this wikipedia quote says.

Regardless, the easiest thing you could have done was source something written by someone else.

I don't really think Ottawa has any of these shortcomings.
Stadium can be expanded.
Stadium is downtown.
Airport large enough for direct flights.
Plenty of hotel rooms.

It's obviously not in the Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal tier of hosting cities but Ottawa is still at an acceptable enough level to host World Cup matches. Far worse places have and will host matches in the future.
Not sure about the hotel rooms but it is the capital so perhaps. Not sure if they have the direct flights to the key American cities that will host the World Cup games. I think the stadium is too small - only seats 35,000 with temps and less than that when accounting for media at these games. Not good enough imo

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Not sure about the hotel rooms but it is the capital so perhaps. Not sure if they have the direct flights to the key American cities that will host the World Cup games. I think the stadium is too small - only seats 35,000 with temps and less than that when accounting for media at these games. Not good enough imo
Just looking at TD Place on Google Earth; one can see where the stadium could be expanded by what seems to be a great deal, though it would all be end zone seats. IIRC the original concept had the stadium being expandable to 40-45,000, but that would probably change with the expansion being permanent as opposed to temporary; there's also been a high rise building added to the mix in the west end zone since the stadium opened.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 2:43 PM

Quote:
This was approved by FIFA for next summer in Russia

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 3:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That's absolutely amazing (horrifying too)........

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 3:14 PM
ハルウララ

People need to stop getting so hung up on stadium capacity requirements. WC stadiums are not always these mega-fabulous and large colliseums. Go back and check out some of the stadiums in South Africa 2010 or the Russian example given above. A lot of stadiums in Canada are eligible for matches with temporary stands - we just lack that upper level of stadia required for an individual bid.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 3:15 PM

How do the fans in the top rows see the game? Guaranteed their view is blocked!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 3:44 PM

Yup - you couldn't pay me to sit in there.

As much as everyone has bashed Qatar getting the WC in 2022 - at least they seem to be dealing with the temporary seats in a good way.

The seats in blue are the ones that are temporary and removed after the WC

How it will look with the temporary seats

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 4:41 PM

Will the Canadian stadium be using a real grass turf this time?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 4:42 PM

Wow things you can do with with slave labor and unlimited funds

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 4:47 PM

I know right! Why do we even have human rights?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
How do the fans in the top rows see the game? Guaranteed their view is blocked!
Surprisingly they aren't

Still though - you couldn't pay me to go up there

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Another myth bites the dust

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Will the Canadian stadium be using a real grass turf this time?
Yes, and did I read if Edmonton? gets it, the turf will remain for the entire CFL season and then be replaced with artificial turf. Thought I read it but not positive.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Surprisingly they aren't

Still though - you couldn't pay me to go up there
You really feel like you're a part of the action in those seats!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Yes, and did I read if Edmonton? gets it, the turf will remain for the entire CFL season and then be replaced with artificial turf. Thought I read it but not positive.
Oh boy... This is going to cause more uproar with feminists that were upset that they had to play on artificial turn at the women's world cup in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:39 PM

I did read it. Senility temporarily averted

Commonwealth Stadium would get real grass for World Cup year: Edmonton staff
Scott Johnston Reporter 630CHED September 6, 2017

Commonwealth Stadium will go back to the future and will have natural grass for an entire Edmonton Eskimos CFL season in 2026, according to the long-range plan sent to Soccer Canada on Tuesday.

Edmonton has submitted its formal expression of interest to Soccer Canada to be in on the three-country North American bid to jointly host the World Cup in 2026. The bid cites attendance capacity at 56,335.

Seven bids are in: Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Regina, Toronto and Vancouver are the other Canadian cities that have made the shortlist.

Commonwealth Stadium was one of the Canadian venues in 2015 for the Women’s World Cup and the 2026 bid is proving to be one of those timing-is-everything opportunities. That’s because FIFA insisted then that perfectly good artificial turf had to be replaced.

“The timing coincidentally just works for us from when this artificial turf went in, that will likely need renewal anyway,” confirmed Roger Jevne, the branch manager for facilities with the city.

“The turf we put in will be near the end of its life cycle so we’d have to take it out, put in a (natural grass) field for the duration of the event,” Jevne said.

“It wouldn’t matter to us if it’s one game or three or four games, on how feasible that is on the impacts on the stadium. Then [we’d] take it back out and we’d then put in the new artificial turf for the Eskimos. At least that’s our plan now.”

Tuesday was the deadline for Canadian cities to show interest in being considered for the Canadian portion of the bid that would see 10 games played here, 10 others in Mexico, and the rest in the U.S. At the end of September, Soccer Canada is expected to announce who will be in the running.

“We’re pretty confident,” Jevne said.

“The success of the 2015 Women’s World Cup, the attendance records we set, we’re pretty confident we’ll be shortlisted as one of the Canadian cities to be in the bid.”

City staff have more questions than answers at this point, including how many of the 10 games would be held in any given city, or how many rounds would be played at which venues throughout the three countries.

Commonwealth Stadium did under go renovations for the 2015 event, with more dressing rooms constructed. Jevne said they’ll watch to see what else is needed on site as the bid process continues.

“The city will have to decide whether we want to pursue the bid. If there’s significant capital upgrades required, the impact on the stadium, other events, the Eskimos… So, we’ll have to look at how many games we’ll get, which games there are, and then decide. But at this point, it’s absolutely worth pursuing so we’re all in.

“It’ll be almost 10 years out, so things like the turf will be up for replacement. We’ll continue to monitor as we get closer the jumbo-tron, the sound system, the lighting. Those things are constantly in our life-cycle renewal plans.

“If we got the event, we’d try to time any of those improvements so that they’re done in advance, tested and working like new for 2026.”

Edmonton is also confident in its ability to provide training camps for several countries’ teams to set up here with both practice facilities and hotel space.

FIFA will announce the winning bid next June. Morocco is the only other country bidding against North America’s three-country bid.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Surprisingly they aren't Still though - you couldn't pay me to go up there
Some crowds amuse themselves with beer cup snakes, others with 90 metre ski jumps

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Oh boy... This is going to cause more uproar with feminists that were upset that they had to play on artificial turn at the women's world cup in Canada.
That had nothing to do with equality it had to do with the USA women's team ploy to get a bigger pay day. The fact Canada was going to use artificial turf was known long before they ever took action (appropriately timed for a holdup of the USSF)

Last edited by elly63; Oct 6, 2017 at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:

Good find. I thought that stadium would seat 35,000 not including temp seats but in fact it does seat that many WITH TEMPS. Guess Ottawa could meet minimum capacity. With that said being a brand new high end stadium probably plays a role in deviating from FIFA's "official rules" regarding hosting capabilities. Ottawa's facility, while decent, is only half of a new stadium and not nearly as nice as the one in Russia. Then there is the issue of turf vs. grass. Not sure how easy it is to add grass to TD Place.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Good find. I thought that stadium would seat 35,000 not including temp seats but in fact it does seat that many WITH TEMPS. Guess Ottawa could meet minimum capacity. With that said being a brand new high end stadium probably plays a role in deviating from FIFA's "official rules" regarding hosting capabilities. Ottawa's facility, while decent, is only half of a new stadium and not nearly as nice as the one in Russia. Then there is the issue of turf vs. grass. Not sure how easy it is to add grass to TD Place.
TD Place is fully outdoor so I assume it's very easy, easier than it would be for some of the NFL Stadiums on the contenders list or for the Big O.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada