HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 5:01 AM

That is a big decision to make based on a name. But I have to admit that any reference to Utah's "Dixie" always gives me the heebie-jeebies. I do not think it has anything to do with a PC attitude. The St. George area and its history doesn't impact my perception of "Dixie" nearly to the extent that the southeastern part of the US does. -Especially in historical terms. So I understand the reluctance to take a name that might have softened perceptions in a very small, specific region and then attach it to an institution that functions on a much larger and national level.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 11:54 AM

What about UUSG, University of Utah, St George? I think that is a nice sounding name! According to wikipedia Dixie was to become this in 2009:

"On the morning of Friday, September 7, 2007, Dixie State College Board of Trustees members announced that Dixie State College of Utah will petition the University of Utah to become the University of Utah—St. George.[4] The proposal was approved by the Dixie State College Board of Trustees on October 7, 2007, and by the University of Utah Board of Trustees on October 14, 2007. The two institutions will form a task force to define the parameters of an enhanced affiliation, to be approved by both Trustee boards, the Utah State Board of Regents, and the Utah State Legislature. The process was expected to be complete in 2009."

Also....If anything needs to be changed, its the schools mascot "red storm" not to bash dixie but gotta say... a bull/tornado hybrid for a mascot is a mistake! Ugly!

http://www.cleverasafox.com/gallery/Logo-1DSC.png

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 10:55 PM

That thing is...bizarre. If I were more clever and more crude, I'd turn it into some kind of menstruation joke.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 6:23 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

If you recall the new mascot was based on idea submissions and a vote. They changed the mascot due to the negative connotation between Dixie and Rebels, thus tying it to the southern states Dixie etc. Except for the former mascot I have never taken "Utah's Dixie" in a negative way. Dixie as in the southern states, is just that the area to the south of the northern states and St. George, "Utah's Dixie" is the southern area of the state, that is the only way I have ever interpreted it.

I for one like the Dixie name in the school and I wouldn't mind the name being U of U Dixie, but as was mentioned, being part of a larger more well know system and a university it would most likely be U of U SG

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 6:54 PM

Dixie

I hope that it does NOT have a 'UTAH' name. Dixie St. University sounds good. I agree that 5 Universities with 'Utah' in the name is enough.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 2:17 AM

Well, if the word Dixie is a problem with those not wishing to create a mistaken impression, then let's just go with St. George University or University of St. George. St. George is a very cool name, no matter what angle you look at it from...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Well, if the word Dixie is a problem with those not wishing to create a mistaken impression, then let's just go with St. George University or University of St. George. St. George is a very cool name, no matter what angle you look at it from...
Hum.. I never thought of that! I actually kinda like the sound of that! Its got a good ring to it and sounds professional.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 4:06 AM

I could care less about a mistaken impression. I'm sure there are many people who don't associate "Dixie" with anything other than St. George. Funny though, I just asked my wife (midwesterner) what kinds of connotations St. George's "Dixie" had for her when she first heard of it. Her answer was something akin to what one might expect to find in 19th century Georgia. She, of course, knows better now. I'm merely relating other's experiences. And sure, University of St. George or St. George University sounds great. U of U Dixie is fine as well. But some people will have odd impressions based on the name. -Which is all good, but no less the case.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 4:48 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Giant solar project planned for Iron County

Quote:
Cedar City • The sunshine in Iron County will become electric when a Norwegian company fires up a solar project expected to be the largest in Utah, if not the country.

The North America division of Oslo-based Scatec Solar plans to invest up to $500 million in the project, which would place photovoltaic panels on 650 acres of private land northwest of Parowan. Such panels convert direct sunlight into electricity, needing just enough water to keep the panels clean.

Planners say the project will be built in two phases over a couple of years and eventually produce 100 megawatts of electricity that could supply power to up to 80,000 homes.
Salt Lake Tribune
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/51...power.html.csp

Someone in the comments section of the tribune ran some numbers and this is what they found:
If a housing development built 80,000 homes on 1/8th of an acre then you could have 10,000 acres with 80,000 homes powered on 650 acres of solar cells. That's actually really tangible.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 2:58 PM

How about just DU, and people can say they went to the 'D'.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 4:52 PM

Regarding the Dixie State thing: Has there been any discussion of a formal link-up with SUU? Something like SUU-SG? (Or SUU-South? ) Is the regional rivalry too great for that to happen? I'm an outsider, but I have a hard time seeing the justification for two full-fledged universities in that part of the state.

Anyway, my vote is for "St. George University" or maybe "St. George State University."

As for SUU, I'm still waiting for them to create a law school and fulfill their destiny of becoming "Sue-You." (Not my joke. Heard it from someone else a long time ago.)

For the record, I grew up in Idaho, lived in Utah for about 9 years, and now live in Montana. Montana decided several years ago that it woud be best to consolidate the state's colleges, and since 1994 they have all operated as branches of either MSU or UM. Each university now has 4 campuses, while a few tribal and community colleges remain independent. Utah of course has a larger population to serve, and it probably makes sense to have more than 2 universities, but we have already seen CEU join with USU and a proposal to join Dixie with the U of U. Maybe someday we'll see things like USU-Weber, SUU-Ephraim, UU-Dixie, etc.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 10:35 AM

Wow S.P., that was really cool about the Solar Plant. I hadn't realized how major a kudo that was for the area.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 3:29 PM

Airport Hotels

I've heard of possible development around the new Airport, like (small) Hotels . Possibly Hilton Garden Inn or a Court Yard Marriot. Has anyone heard of anything arounf the new airport?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 6:27 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
I've heard of possible development around the new Airport, like (small) Hotels . Possibly Hilton Garden Inn or a Court Yard Marriot. Has anyone heard of anything arounf the new airport?

I haven't heard anything. But it would make sense for Hotels to develop around that area.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 4:39 AM

I flew into St. George's new airport over the weekend. Its worth the $200 RT ticket just for the view of Zion Nat. Park as you fly in. (Get a seat on the left side of the plane)

The airport was nice too:
(Sorry the pictures are so large, I'm too lazy to re-size them)

They do, in fact, have a jetway, though the CRJ900 planes that they fly there are so small that they actually lay down a little walkway connecting the plane to the jetway, so you walk outside for about 10 feet before entering the jetway.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:08 AM
Bring out the cranes...

How many jetways or gates are there?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 3:16 PM

2 Gates, 1 Jetway

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 4:14 AM

Ground Breaking for New Library

Saw on KSL News Yesterday a story about the Ground Breaking of the new 5 story library at Dixie State. When I went online today to find the story on KSL.com there wasn't a story there. Am I confused? Did they break ground yesterday? I wanted to see renderings of the building, I believe it will look a little similar to the new library at UVU, but slightly smaller. Is that correct? If anyone has any info, please share it with us. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 10:09 AM

Here's what I found Deek,

www.dixie.edu

Dixie State College Officially Breaks Ground for New Jeffrey R. Holland Centennial Commons Building

Monday, March 21st, 2011

Dixie State College of Utah officially broke ground on its new Jeffrey R. Holland Centennial Commons Building in a special ceremony held Monday morning. Nearly 500 people attended the ceremony, including Elder Holland and his wife Patricia, and DSC students, faculty and staff. In addition, members of southern Utah's state legislative contingent and local elected officials, along with representatives from Jacobsen Construction, VCBO Architecture and Sasaki Associates, and benefactors and friends of DSC were in attendance.

Considered a top priority by DSC administrators and the Utah State Board of Regents, and rated fourth-overall by the Utah State Building Board, the 170,000 square foot, five-story Jeffrey R. Holland Centennial Commons Building (HCC) is the keystone of Dixie's overall campus master plan to accommodate the growth that has already begun to transform the College. The Utah State Legislature approved $35 million in funding last year, which was on top of $3 million in funding in 2009 devoted to the design and planning for the proposed $48 million building. In addition, DSC received a $10 million anonymous donation for the construction of the building in 2008, which is the largest private donation DSC has ever received.

"To receive an honor in and from a community I love with all my heart is an inexpressible gift," Elder Holland said. "Today [Dixie State] is experiencing unprecedented growth because of student demand, student growth, student success. In that sense, I am honored to let my name stand in for the hundreds, the thousands, and tens of thousands of young men and women who have come here without a cent in their pocket, but with stars in their eyes and dreams in their hearts.

"Dixie has fulfilled those dreams for legions of students for 100 years," Holland added. "I love her, I grew up with her. I love the century of service she has given. I can only hope Dixie will shape in some small way the students who will study here in the years ahead the way it had shaped mine in such unique and special and permanent ways for all of my personal past."

Jacobsen Construction, which was awarded the bid, has already begun preliminary work on the new building site, which will be located south of the Gardner Student Center on the Encampment Mall. Construction on the Jeffrey R. Holland Centennial Commons Building is scheduled to be completed in late May of 2012.

"This structure will be the academic heart and soul of this institution," DSC President Dr. Stephen D. Nadauld said. "It will be the hub from which all other activities will emanate and will provide the anchor to serve 12-15 thousands students who will be here in the next four to five years. We are growing so fast that this building had to come to our rescue in terms of our growth.

"From this building, we will be known as not just a college, but as a university," President Nadauld added. "That designation will be well deserved because this building will anchor that whole university notion as we go forward."

According to Stan Plewe, DSC Vice President of Administrative Services, the HCC Building will embody and symbolize Dixie State's transition from a two-year to a four-year college and the seriousness of the academic mission the transition entailed. Plewe added that when completed, the HCC Building will serve as the intellectual and academic hub of Dixie State, while its central location on the campus' historic Encampment Mall will instantly confer iconic status on the building.

"This is the culmination of years of dreaming, planning and hard work on the part of many people," Plewe said. "We are so overjoyed to realize that what has been a big dream will now become a reality for our students, faculty, staff, and the Washington County community."

When completed, HCC Building will become the new home of DSC's library and English Department. Plewe added that the building will also support DSC's mission to provide a student-centered learning environment by placing all the services students will need in one location, including registration, financial aid, advising and counseling, among other resources.

"The Holland Centennial Commons will be a ‘student success center' offering all the resources and services students need to ensure their success at Dixie State College," said Plewe. "Bringing all these functions and more under one roof will be instrumental in enriching and enlivening campus life."

Plewe also noted that the HCC building will provide services that all competitive institutions of higher education must have, including flexible, well-equipped classrooms to facilitate innovate teaching; a central data center to serve the information technology needs of the campus; and a variety of areas for group and individual study suited to current computer-based learning.

The building's namesake, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, a 1963 graduate of Dixie College, is a member of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Dixie State College formally announced plans for the HCC Building in October of 2008, during the College's Centennial Celebration Grand Gala concert.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 5:43 PM

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. Of course silly me, not even thinking of looking at Dixie's web page. What do I know, though. . . I'm an accounting major.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West